CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby jer091 » July 18th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Just got back from a little ride out at RB (ran into Scott, ~~~nice riding with ya).... there is 1 new deadfall across the trail. a double tree, approx 12-14" in diamater about 100' past the larger bridge across the ravine on the regular loop. 1st downhill leading into what I like to call the drag strip (cause I can carry alot of momentum and speed, fastest leg of the trail). Its easy to portage over.

Otherwise free and clear, not muddy at all. No puddles after the rain.

also my first ride clipped in. not too bad, only 1 messup dismounting on the clipped side :oops: :wink:
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » July 18th, 2011, 9:19 pm

jer091 wrote:Just got back from a little ride out at RB (ran into Scott, ~~~nice riding with ya).... there is 1 new deadfall across the trail. a double tree, approx 12-14" in diamater about 100' past the larger bridge across the ravine on the regular loop. 1st downhill leading into what I like to call the drag strip (cause I can carry alot of momentum and speed, fastest leg of the trail). Its easy to portage over.

Otherwise free and clear, not muddy at all. No puddles after the rain.

also my first ride clipped in. not too bad, only 1 messup dismounting on the clipped side :oops: :wink:

Darn, just after we got all that done. ;)

Sounds like we'll have to get the park on that one, eh? I'll see what I can do about getting out to mark it tomorrow and get the park on it. Thanks for letting me know. :)

(Ha, I don't know a single person who rides clipless who doesn't have great stories of toppling over while getting used to them.)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » July 19th, 2011, 8:57 am

Rode the seasonal loop for the first time last night and great job on the trimming!
BK big fish

Postby Mack » July 19th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Great job by all who trimmed the seasonal loops. jer091 showed me around this morning along with the back way in :wink: thanks. I did notice a log sticking out on that one quick loop with the down hill right. The log sticks out a bit and if you didn't know it was there (that would be me) and pinched that corner you would be in for a world of hurt (glad I was taking it easy). It could be trimmed back some. But now that I know it's there I will be on the look out. first timers to that trail are the people I would worry about. I know we have one at CRPT that is the same way I made sure to point out to jer091 this morning. It is just a long way to carry a chainsaw but it has to go. As soon as this hot weather breaks I'll cut it out. Again to all those who help maintain RB thanks. It really is awesome to have two great trails RB and CRPT so close that they can both be rode in the same ride. I can't wait for that asphalt to be laid.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby BK big fish » July 20th, 2011, 3:56 am

Why everytime I ride RB, I run into a helmet-less rider going the wrong way? This time in the seasonal loop, and I could not see him coming!!!! And 2 guys riding w/o helmets! I am not the helmet police by any means, but I know beginners do crash! Got in 5 laps yesterday and it was a little steamy!
BK big fish

Postby pharus » July 20th, 2011, 8:28 am

Rode RB last night for the first time this year. I have to say it is is remarkable how improved the flow is over last year! I really liked the connector trail from the parking lot to the pavement crossing, and the beginning part of the Yellow loop is much better now that it doesn't start off with the switchbacks. The whole trail has a great flow to it now, and makes it quite enjoyable. The signage was very helpful, and got us through the blue loop without any question of getting lost. Great work.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby gossamer » July 20th, 2011, 9:45 am

As everyone has been stating, the trails are excellent, I rode it all last night on my way to Bloomer, I think those are the best trails in Macomb County. Thanks to your hard work and the help of the volunteers you guys turned that place into someplace to have some fun.

Good job by all!!!
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby c0nsumer » July 22nd, 2011, 11:13 pm

This evening Scott and I removed the tree at River Bends. The ones that we're waiting for the park to saw out on the Seasonal Loops are not yet cleared, but this rather surprising tree in the middle of a normally-fast section is now gone.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby grifter14 » July 23rd, 2011, 2:49 pm

Rode over to RB for the first time today....you all cut some nice trail into that park. It was a fun little segment of trail. seasonal loop was bone dry and rough..I think that will be a fast section if it ever gets worn in right..

Does the MMBA have any plans to ask for signing pointing to the trail head from the park rd that access' the park from Hamlin and Ryan?

Now that I know it..it wont be a problem. But my initial attack on the trail from the west end was a wee bit goofy as I was riding hardball around and thru the disc course trying to find that that parking area where the trailhead is at..

I would be interested to see how some of you guys on the Rochester side of things are riding down to this trail. The areas I went into today are over grown and uninviting. I wonder who handles trail maintenance in the Rochester Utica Rec Area. Which is what I used to try and approach RB without using roads to much

I made my approach from the letica drive parking lot (house is near there)..onto the MC trail and headed
East until I could take the right that runs you over the bridge and into the low end of bloomer. Ran that all the way to Yates..crossed over avon and took that same rail trail out the south end of Yates until it dead ends into a wet nasty looking canal. ( because of lack of knowledge) I started probing down deer trails looking for a thru route. I am interested to know who maintains that slightly unused portion of rail trail south of yates and into the backside of the Heron Rookery. The trash cans in that area are full and there are atleast three trees down acorss that trail.

Future riders should turn right and head down the stairs at the steel fence..This "man made game trail" will eventually pop you out in the heron rookery. which will get the rider to 22.5 and Ryan.

from there just ride down either road and get into the park..
Cramba Bike Patrol
EARNED NOT ISSUED
BLACK AND TAN
FOLLOW THE LEADER
grifter14

Postby c0nsumer » July 24th, 2011, 9:40 pm

grifter14 wrote:Rode over to RB for the first time today....you all cut some nice trail into that park. It was a fun little segment of trail. seasonal loop was bone dry and rough..I think that will be a fast section if it ever gets worn in right..

Thank you. :)

Unfortunately the seasonal loops are clay in a floodplane which gets lots of footprints before it dries, but hopefully the increasing bike traffic will have a nice effect.

grifter14 wrote:Does the MMBA have any plans to ask for signing pointing to the trail head from the park rd that access' the park from Hamlin and Ryan?

I hadn't actually thought of that, but it's a good idea. Let me give it some thought to see how it could be done and I'll see if we can come up with something. that said, the map rather illustrates all of this, so maybe that'd handle it?

grifter14 wrote:Now that I know it..it wont be a problem. But my initial attack on the trail from the west end was a wee bit goofy as I was riding hardball around and thru the disc course trying to find that that parking area where the trailhead is at..

I would be interested to see how some of you guys on the Rochester side of things are riding down to this trail. The areas I went into today are over grown and uninviting. I wonder who handles trail maintenance in the Rochester Utica Rec Area. Which is what I used to try and approach RB without using roads to much

I made my approach from the letica drive parking lot (house is near there)..onto the MC trail and headed
East until I could take the right that runs you over the bridge and into the low end of bloomer. Ran that all the way to Yates..crossed over avon and took that same rail trail out the south end of Yates until it dead ends into a wet nasty looking canal. ( because of lack of knowledge) I started probing down deer trails looking for a thru route. I am interested to know who maintains that slightly unused portion of rail trail south of yates and into the backside of the Heron Rookery. The trash cans in that area are full and there are atleast three trees down acorss that trail.

Future riders should turn right and head down the stairs at the steel fence..This "man made game trail" will eventually pop you out in the heron rookery. which will get the rider to 22.5 and Ryan.

from there just ride down either road and get into the park..

Ahh, yeah. You went the difficult way.

The park behind Yates is Holland Ponds. It's my understanding that the path behind Yates is also owned by Shelby Township, but I'm not sure who is responsible for the maintenance. That said, I've hiked the area a bunch and scouted it out to see if we should propose MTB trails to the township through there, but I just don't think it'd work. A lot of modification would be required to the bridge and stairways, and that's a lot to ask of the park. So, while it may make for a decent occasional cut-through I wouldn't make it part of a normal riding route. (As far as I'm aware the designation on Google Maps of "Rochester-Utica State Recreation Area" is out of date and wrong. I think it dates from the late 70s / early 80s when River Bends and other parks in the area were still state parks.)

Personally, from Rochester I'd take the CRT to Dequinder, south through the school out to Shelby, south to 23 Mile to Mound, then follow Mound / Shelby to 22/Shelby and then west on 22 Mile into the park. You could probably also head down Hamlin. Or, you could wind your way through Bloomer (as you did before), then just take 23 Mile to Mound.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » July 29th, 2011, 5:34 am

Anyone think the seasonal loop is under water? I seen the river yesterday at livernois and Avon and it was almost to the top of the seawall! before last nights rain!!!!!
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » July 29th, 2011, 7:26 am

BK big fish wrote:Anyone think the seasonal loop is under water? I seen the river yesterday at livernois and Avon and it was almost to the top of the seawall! before last nights rain!!!!!

I'm not sure about under water, but I'd guess it's not ridable. This is exactly why it's built as its own stand-alone loop...

We've received enough rain that I imagine RB is a bit muddy right now, but I figure it'll dry out quickly.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby jer091 » July 29th, 2011, 7:34 am

I was planning on riding it this morning, but in light of recent reports of the Clinton River being at 15.5' and flood stage is 16', i changed my mind.

I am going to go hike the trail to see if there is any new deadfall, and bring my pruning shears to take out some overgrowth that needs to be trimmed back.
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » July 29th, 2011, 7:40 am

jer091 wrote:I was planning on riding it this morning, but in light of recent reports of the Clinton River being at 15.5' and flood stage is 16', i changed my mind.

I am going to go hike the trail to see if there is any new deadfall, and bring my pruning shears to take out some overgrowth that needs to be trimmed back.

Thanks, that should be great! If you do any work out there, please let me know how much time you spend so I can add it to my River Bends volunteer hour tracking spreadsheet. Just so you're aware, we track the amount of volunteer work expended on the trail for reporting purposes.

You all may find this photo from 2009 interesting. This is standing on a ridge section in the of the seasonal loops in the far south of the park (the uphill with the tree down in the middle and at the top) looking down at the flooplain after a heavy rain. I imagine this area is similar right now.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby jer091 » July 29th, 2011, 11:14 am

Well, just got back from hiking River Bends.

The regular loop is completely ridable. still a little muddy, but firm. No deadfall.

The seasonal loop is under water.

It appears to be dropping fast. Last report, the river had crested and was down to 14.4'

So by this time tomorrow, the waters should be well below the flood plain, which is very hard packed clay and should be ridable.

IMAG0458 by jer091, on Flickr
jer091

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions