CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby 2slo2endo » July 22nd, 2014, 11:48 am

Rode in the back entrance Sunday... They were removing all of the 10x10 plank road... had to go a little further south and find another entrance, then walk the voided area to the trail... as a precaution against spikes or nails I might find... but they should be gone by now
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » July 22nd, 2014, 11:48 am

Workers and planks at least!
2slo2endo

Postby jer091 » July 24th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Got out this morning and removed the deadfall on the swamp loop and trimmed things up a bit. The Swamp loop is completely ridable and dry!

And just got back from a night ride and must say conditions are very good!

The ITC project is now complete. All the planks have been removed and they graded the area and it is ridable. You must once again dismount to cross the tracks :( . Seeing the pavement project is on hold once again, we will look to cut trail in that south end again. We are open to suggestions if anyone has ideas.
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » July 24th, 2014, 10:13 pm

jer091 wrote:Got out this morning and removed the deadfall on the swamp loop and trimmed things up a bit. The Swamp loop is completely ridable and dry!

And just got back from a night ride and must say conditions are very good!

The ITC project is now complete. All the planks have been removed and they graded the area and it is ridable. You must once again dismount to cross the tracks :( . Seeing the pavement project is on hold once again, we will look to cut trail in that south end again. We are open to suggestions if anyone has ideas.

Thank you for getting the swamp loop open!
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » July 25th, 2014, 6:47 am

If it is just graded smooth, maybe now is the time to build a "flow" trail on the downhill section?
(When riding the timbers, I seem to recall that they cut-in a gradual decent to the river)
Pete.
PK

Postby i69whitey » July 25th, 2014, 8:59 am

It's flat, graded, seeded and covered in straw right now. A nice blank canvas.
Where is this track crossing? We used the one across Chapoton Road, the hike-a-bike one, to get in and left at the crossing behind the ballpark. Is there one just farther north that u speak of?
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby c0nsumer » July 25th, 2014, 9:03 am

The downhill / distance there isn't enough to build a proper flow trail. Those are supposed to be quite lengthy, not the few hundred feet we have. My current thought is to link up the remaining pieces of single track (stuff along the ridge, the S turn, a few other pieces) into a big lollipop shape, using the wider/flatter part of the downhill. Thus blue would become a two-way trail along the ridge (as it currently is) with a single loop at the end. This would be considerably less confusing than what was there before, and hopefully quite a bit more fun. I'm hoping to do some scouting there this evening.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » July 25th, 2014, 9:19 am

Steve, I reluctantly used the IMBA FLOW TRAIL name for lack of a better name.
I believe there is enough length there to build features into the new trail. Just look at what the Stony jump line turned into with just 25ft of vertical.
Rollers and banked turns then back to the usual single track back up?

Pete
PK

Postby c0nsumer » July 25th, 2014, 9:23 am

PK wrote:Steve, I reluctantly used the IMBA FLOW TRAIL name for lack of a better name.
I believe there is enough length there to build features into the new trail. Just look at what the Stony jump line turned into with just 25ft of vertical.
Rollers and banked turns then back to the usual single track back up?

Pete

Oh yeah, I think we should look into that sort of thing... I'm just trying to avoid people starting to think that any brief downhill is a "flow trail". That area is also pretty steep/short overall, with absolutely no area for year-round runout at the bottom. It gets 5' of water on it at times during the spring. So, to keep that entire section year-round we'll need to stay up at least on the face of the ridge. It's really going to be a quite short section, but hopefully we can make it as fun as possible. I'd love to get some planning done now, roughing in soon, then construction in a month or two.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby FLIPMODES » July 25th, 2014, 9:30 am

I'll bring my shovel... :mrgreen:
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

Postby PK » July 25th, 2014, 9:52 am

Feature - Laiden Overly Wonderful trail.
Yea.
That's what I meant!

Pete.
PK

Postby mr_opjones » July 25th, 2014, 10:23 am

The Pines at Stony is a Flow trail.

*has evolved into a flow trail
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Anyone want to help rough in some trail at River Bends tonight? I should be out there by 5pm, working in the area around the ITC clearing. I'll have a few spare tools, but you'll want to bring water/food/gloves and any tools that you prefer. I'd really appreciate the help.

Park in the old pig plant lot off the end of Chapoton, behind the apartments. Walk through the plant foundation, along the fence, and cross the train tracks (same as done when riding RB-CRPT). I'll likely be working in the area between the ITC clearing and railroad tracks, just south of the S turn berms. This is where the old multiple-figure-eights from the Seasonal Loops were and where the ITC corridor went through.

Email me at steve@nuxx.net if you'd like more info or to let me know that you are coming.

Here is where you should park for shortest walking: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6319649 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Here is where I'll be working: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6327212 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby i69whitey » July 30th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Game time call Steve!
Work and weather are both trying to screw me bad
Last edited by i69whitey on July 30th, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

i69whitey wrote:Game time call Steve!
Work and weather are both screwing me bad

If it's serious looking rain I won't be there. The part I started working in last night is heavily treed, though, so light rain doesn't really get through.

If I do not go / end up leaving early I'll be sure to post here, etc.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments