CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby jer091 » June 26th, 2014, 1:23 pm

All of it was sustainability improvements. No new features or reroute.
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2014, 12:30 pm

I'm heading out to walk the whole yellow loop and do a bit of trimming tomorrow (Saturday the 27th) at 10am to polish everything up before the GotMTB clinic on Sunday. Anyone want to join me? It'd be nice to have another person or two.

This is NOT an official trail day so we'll have to bring our own tools, but I personally have enough for myself and maybe two others.

Let me know here or via email to steve@nuxx.net (or via Facebook).

Thanks!
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby FLIPMODES » June 28th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Trail is in almost perfect condition. Only 2 semi-sticky patches in the BTT section. Trail should be great for tomorrow's Got MTB event.
2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
2012 Trek X-Cal 29er
2014 On-One Fatty
FLIPMODES

CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 5th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Friday Am We rode River Bends Full Loop. return is in good shape. We made it through. It was less water logged than a few weeks ago. We bailed then as not to damage it. Then hit the Utica downtown trail to CRP which was great.
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby tripleskulls » July 6th, 2014, 6:17 am

InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:Friday Am We rode River Bends Full Loop. return is in good shape. We made it through. It was less water logged than a few weeks ago. We bailed then as not to damage it. Then hit the Utica downtown trail to CRP which was great.

Is the new connecter path paved?
tripleskulls

Postby jer091 » July 6th, 2014, 6:28 am

There is not an actual "Connector" trail from Utica to the south side of River Bends yet. The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

ITC is replacing a High tension power line and have cleared a path using wood planks to move heavy equipment to the construction site. This was supposed to finish this weekend but they are obviously behind schedule. Once this is completed, they are supposed to remove the wood planks and just leave the cleared area. Parts of this path ITC cleared are alleged to be included in the proposed connector path (if that ever gets done)

jer091

Postby lawn dart » July 6th, 2014, 7:23 am

jer091 wrote:...The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

Speaking of costs, how much do you figure each one of those freshly-cut & drilled planks cost? The term 'plank' doesn't do them justice; they are massive, 8"x10"x12' (approx.) beams -- possibly too heavy for a single person to move -- and there are thousands of them at the site.
I could see just the lumber for that access road costing $100,000.00. :shock:
lawn dart

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 6th, 2014, 7:34 am

tripleskulls wrote:
InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:Friday Am We rode River Bends Full Loop. return is in good shape. We made it through. It was less water logged than a few weeks ago. We bailed then as not to damage it. Then hit the Utica downtown trail to CRP which was great.

Is the new connecter path paved?

Like they said. No.
We rode a full loop and took the paved path back to the soccer fields on the Ryan Rd side. then exited south out the old subdivision access rd right onto Auburn. Took Auburn downtown.
Btw I don't know how to get to ITCs spot. I assume it's down a paved path and I'd have to cut my ride short there if I took it
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby Sortaslow » July 6th, 2014, 8:42 am

lawn dart wrote:
jer091 wrote:...The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

Speaking of costs, how much do you figure each one of those freshly-cut & drilled planks cost? The term 'plank' doesn't do them justice; they are massive, 8"x10"x12' (approx.) beams -- possibly too heavy for a single person to move -- and there are thousands of them at the site.
I could see just the lumber for that access road costing $100,000.00. :shock:

Crazy isn't it. Not sure about 100k, but who knows. Edit: look at these prices! http://thematsource.com/product-category/timber-mats/ 100k might be too low!

They're not top grade lumber. It's rough milled. Some you can still see that they look like a tree-bark and roundness.

It's amazing to see this. All this clearing, plank laying and other work for one power line pole. Blows the mind.

http://www.cranematco.com/industries/transmission-lines

http://www.dixiemat.com
Sortaslow

Postby buckeyefan58 » July 6th, 2014, 12:16 pm

jer091 wrote:There is not an actual "Connector" trail from Utica to the south side of River Bends yet. The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

I am SHOCKED at this :roll: . This is the project that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends.
buckeyefan58

Postby c0nsumer » July 6th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Soon we'll need to start figuring out what to do with the south end of the park once the crane matting is removed. I think it's good opportunity to put in a SOLID single track loop (not the wonky old grandfathered series of figure 8s) that'll (hopefully eventually?) be accessible off of the pavement.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby tripleskulls » July 8th, 2014, 7:59 am

c0nsumer wrote:Soon we'll need to start figuring out what to do with the south end of the park once the crane matting is removed. I think it's good opportunity to put in a SOLID single track loop (not the wonky old grandfathered series of figure 8s) that'll (hopefully eventually?) be accessible off of the pavement.

Just a few thoughts (were you soliciting them?):
1. The downhill/uphill at the very south end of the blues is really fun. Even my kids want to ride that 3-4 times when we get down there.
2. The high banked turns on the U-shaped red trail are neat, but is there a way to come into that section off of a straight so they can be better utilized?
3. Possibly a return trail on the other side of the canal? The trail that leads to Utica High School seems to stay dry. Obviously crossing the canal is an issue.

This is one of my favorite places to ride.
tripleskulls

Postby jer091 » July 10th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Looks like the ITC project will be wrapping up soon, the new tower is installed and operational. Old tower has been removed.

Now let's see what the aftermath is?

jer091

Postby dirt » July 13th, 2014, 8:56 am

buckeyefan58 wrote:
jer091 wrote:There is not an actual "Connector" trail from Utica to the south side of River Bends yet. The project has been delayed yet once again due to the project bids coming in 40% higher than expected.

I am SHOCKED at this :roll: . This is the project that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends.

Never ends? It's never even started!
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby Lateapex36 » July 15th, 2014, 8:38 am

Ran the first half of the trail last night, its fairly soft but no standing mud areas. There are a couple big leaning trees just after the turn for the blue seasonal section, they aren't down onto the trail yet but they are pretty large so may come down later. I didnt go in the BTT section but I assume its still got some mud in there
2013 Trek Mamba
Stony, Maybury, River Bends, Bloomer
Lateapex36

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments