CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby jer091 » July 1st, 2011, 3:14 pm

Exodus wrote:
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, like put the signs up when you get them, or anything else.

Also, what about a small bridge at the end of the grassy season section where the little river/drain is at?

Ditto......

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
jer091

Re: Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » July 1st, 2011, 3:45 pm

jer091 wrote:
Exodus wrote:
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, like put the signs up when you get them, or anything else.

Also, what about a small bridge at the end of the grassy season section where the little river/drain is at?

Ditto......

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I've got signs (color coded to match the current version of the map) sitting in the basement now, and I'm hoping to get them hung over the next week or two.

Regarding the seasonal loops; they are just now starting to dry out, but they are also heavily in need of trimming. I plan on setting up some manner of small trail day soon, but I've got a few personal non-biking obligations to sort out first. I'll definitely post up here when it happens.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby PK » July 3rd, 2011, 2:40 pm

The trail was in great shape this afternoon!

Pete.
PK

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 3rd, 2011, 8:32 pm

This Morning was my first ride through the park. I have to say I was impressed. Nice work. I rode it forward and backwards, i think i explored almost every trail out there.

When i stayed on the defined single track it was super fast and zippy. It reminded me of the pines at stony, with some ups and downs.

I'd love someone to show me the proper route. The park employees weren't too sure where it started

I saw some great wildlife, a huge Turkey, chased him down the trail. So someone call me crazy but what type of large, like 50-60lb cats do we have living around here? This cat was as big as my dog, and it wasn't a coyote, I've seen tons of them,it was a cat, ran and hopped like a cat. He was chasing the turkey towards that trail that runs one hi and one low for 100 yards

Other than that it was awesome. I road for 2 1/2 hrs and was never bored going back over trails.

There are some that seemed to choke down and end at rail roads or river crossings, i ended up turning around a lot. There are some trails I'm not sure I could find again .
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby c0nsumer » July 3rd, 2011, 10:55 pm

InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:This Morning was my first ride through the park. I have to say I was impressed. Nice work. I rode it forward and backwards, i think i explored almost every trail out there.

When i stayed on the defined single track it was super fast and zippy. It reminded me of the pines at stony, with some ups and downs.

I'd love someone to show me the proper route. The park employees weren't too sure where it started

I saw some great wildlife, a huge Turkey, chased him down the trail. So someone call me crazy but what type of large, like 50-60lb cats do we have living around here? This cat was as big as my dog, and it wasn't a coyote, I've seen tons of them,it was a cat, ran and hopped like a cat. He was chasing the turkey towards that trail that runs one hi and one low for 100 yards

Other than that it was awesome. I road for 2 1/2 hrs and was never bored going back over trails.

There are some that seemed to choke down and end at rail roads or river crossings, i ended up turning around a lot. There are some trails I'm not sure I could find again .

Thank you. The route is actually marked directionally with yellow signs, starting from the trail head in the main parking lot. Check out this map for info. The kiosk probably doesn't have the signs up on it yet, but they should be there soon. There are a lot of other casual / abandoned / bandit trails out there, but as you saw they don't lead too many places. The normal single track is a proper loop, mostly new but also reusing the useful existing pieces. I hope to do more in the future expanding things as will work, but I don't want to go too fast and end up with something unmaintainable. If you want a tour sometime, I'd be glad to show you around.

That doesn't surprise me about the big cat. My parents (in Richmond) have seen a cougar in their back yard, so if something similar were to be down my way it wouldn't be unexpected. There's some pretty remote areas in River Bends, especially past the floodplane, and I suspect that there's all sorts of interesting things living in there.

By the way, were there any trees down on the marked single track? I know we had some wind come through last night, I'm curious if it dropped anything on the trail.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Exodus » July 4th, 2011, 12:27 am

Well good, I thought i was seeing things.... I think I saw the creature you are talking about last week. It was a quick glimpse, but it didnt seem like a dog....
Exodus

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 4th, 2011, 6:16 am

c0nsumer wrote:Thank you. The route is actually marked directionally with yellow signs, starting from the trail head in the main parking lot. Check out this map for info. The kiosk probably doesn't have the signs up on it yet, but they should be there soon. There are a lot of other casual / abandoned / bandit trails out there, but as you saw they don't lead too many places. The normal single track is a proper loop, mostly new but also reusing the useful existing pieces. I hope to do more in the future expanding things as will work, but I don't want to go too fast and end up with something unmaintainable. If you want a tour sometime, I'd be glad to show you around.

That doesn't surprise me about the big cat. My parents (in Richmond) have seen a cougar in their back yard, so if something similar were to be down my way it wouldn't be unexpected. There's some pretty remote areas in River Bends, especially past the floodplane, and I suspect that there's all sorts of interesting things living in there.

By the way, were there any trees down on the marked single track? I know we had some wind come through last night, I'm curious if it dropped anything on the trail.

Thank you I saved the map I see now I did a significant portion of the seasonal in addition to the traditional loop.
I rode back that long clearing, that is low and wet.
I didn't see any major downed trees I couldn't clip with my handhelds. I moved a few bigger branches 3 off the 2 track and a few off the single track. Hope that was ok.
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby c0nsumer » July 4th, 2011, 9:13 am

InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:I didn't see any major downed trees I couldn't clip with my handhelds. I moved a few bigger branches 3 off the 2 track and a few off the single track. Hope that was ok.

Thanks, that's really good. River Bends has lots of trees fall, so for a storm to roll through and nothing to come down is great.

Thanks for moving those branches, it's quite appreciated and very much okay. So, thanks for doing that!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 4th, 2011, 4:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:I didn't see any major downed trees I couldn't clip with my handhelds. I moved a few bigger branches 3 off the 2 track and a few off the single track. Hope that was ok.

Thanks, that's really good. River Bends has lots of trees fall, so for a storm to roll through and nothing to come down is great.

Thanks for moving those branches, it's quite appreciated and very much okay. So, thanks for doing that!

I took A friend today around 10:30. NOW a tree fell last nite. Across the double track that brings you back to the very Very beginning. Yesterday I cut a tunnel through a bush that fell but it's rideable this tree is far her from the start than there. You will know which one I snipped.

Btw there are some trails on your right of the two track, five mile loop, they aren't established but fun. There is one if yoy ride drops off about 6 feet to a Lil sweeper that sweeps next to the two track.
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby Exodus » July 5th, 2011, 10:19 am

InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:
I took A friend today around 10:30. NOW a tree fell last nite. Across the double track that brings you back to the very Very beginning. Yesterday I cut a tunnel through a bush that fell but it's rideable this tree is far her from the start than there.

I saw that tree too. I couldnt move the main part of the tree, but I broke off a bunch of branches so that it is quite rideable to get over for now.

InTeRnEt_RyAn wrote:
Btw there are some trails on your right of the two track, five mile loop, they aren't established but fun. There is one if yoy ride drops off about 6 feet to a Lil sweeper that sweeps next to the two track.

I would love to have a single track, or at least some stretches of single next to the double on the way back if Consumer would like to do that. Heck, I would even add some in myself, but I wouldnt want to step on any toes.
Exodus

Postby c0nsumer » July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am

Exodus wrote:I would love to have a single track, or at least some stretches of single next to the double on the way back if Consumer would like to do that. Heck, I would even add some in myself, but I wouldnt want to step on any toes.

We're continuing to look into what else we can do, but one thing we want to shy away from is having single track too close to existing trail, or ending up with a spiderweb that's hard to find one's way around. Now that summer is progressing and personal obligations are wrapping up I'm hoping to get out and look at where else the trail could go. Unfortunately much of River Bends has unexpected flood-y areas and finding a solid path around them can be a bit a challenging. We're not giving up, though; nor are we done. :)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » July 9th, 2011, 8:15 am

On Thursday I headed out to River Bends with Spencer Wood (the Eagle Scout candidate who has been working on River Bends' trail signage) and we hung up a bunch of new signs around the single and two track. The regular loop of the single track is now directionally signed (complete with wrong-way markers), there are markers along the two track showing that it can be traversed by bikes in both directions, and all signs correlate to the loop colors on the River Bends Trail Map (PDF):

GREEN: Two Track, bidirectional.
YELLOW: Single Track, regular, one-way.
BLUE: Single Track, seasonal loops, one-way.

The Seasonal Loop is not completely signed, although some signs for it have been placed at points where it joins the other trails. This segment of trail is not yet ridable due to soft trail surface and overgrowth, so I'll be scheduling a trail day soon for us to sort this out, then it'll get signed and declared open.

Signs for the kiosk have been printed and I'm just waiting for them to be hung. This includes a large map, QR code to allow one to easily download the map to their phone, and basic rules for riding the trail.

If anyone would like a tour of the trails just let me know, I'd be glad to meet you there and show you around.

Here's some photos of the placed signs. Click to embiggen:

Image Image
Image Image
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » July 9th, 2011, 8:32 am

River Bends Trail Day scheduled for 16-Jul-2011 at 10am. Click here for more info.

Please join us for some trail trimming to get the seasonal loops and overgrowth near the end of the regular loop trimmed back.

Thanks, everyone!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » July 9th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Trail was faster today. I did a couple loops with a few new guys this morning about 8-9ish. Skills from newbie to experienced, everyone complimented it. Signs looked great. We stayed off the seasonal due to last time there wasbeing quite a bit of growth. If i' m in town. I might swing by.
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby RMXByker » July 10th, 2011, 7:23 am

Signage looks excellent. Might be setting the example for the other trails in the other. Great to see the MMBA working with another group to assist both. Congrats!!!
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions