CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby nailgunn » May 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Sorry Steve Been there and back :(
This is what I saw considering I have never been on any of the single track.
Alot of the side hill areas near the Seasonal Loop require dismount just too much water creating alot of soft areas. Seasonal Loop I got 100 yards in and walked right back out.
Elevated areas are tacky with minor soft spots but no walking. Paved trai DRY hhehehe
I think I did some of the single track backwards but did not run anyone down. :roll:

I got off and walked 6 times on the sothern side by the seasonal loop area

Ride at your own walking risk for now but getting very close.
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby BK big fish » May 7th, 2011, 7:40 am

Avoid singletrack, still very muddy! Walked out yesterday! Hopefully this warm weather will help dry out the trail.
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » May 8th, 2011, 9:35 am

Just got off the phone with PK, and he reports that the trail is ready to go. There's a couple small spots that may warrant walking and some lingering pizza cutters that we'd love it if you all would help stomp down, but otherwise; get riding!
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby PK » May 8th, 2011, 7:08 pm

The newest section is just "new trail soft" for about 95%..Just a few feet of greasy stuff. The main trail that was built last year is firm for about 85% of it. There is about 4 or 5 dis-mount sections...They may need some shovel work...
All-in-all, it was good enough to ride today, but likely it will flow as intended in a day or two...

Saw an old 2-man tent in the woods by the railroad tracks up by the area of seasonal trail crosses itself. Not sure if it was just some kids "camping-out" or someone homeless???? The tent looked quite weathered....
Either way, we minded our own business and just rode by....

Pete.
PK

Postby BK big fish » May 9th, 2011, 4:40 am

The section after the new bridge is really muddy! I walked in a section and still got soaked, so I did mutiple laps and bailed after the 1st lookout bench. I noticed the tent also, but just minded my buisness. Did anyone see the guy on the moped zippin around the cement path? He did not go into the singletrack as I thought he would. Nice that there are no bugs out yet! Billy.
BK big fish

Postby mr_opjones » May 9th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Any morels yet, got a bunch on saturday.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » May 9th, 2011, 2:48 pm

mr_opjones wrote:Any morels yet, got a bunch on saturday.

I haven't looked, but it wouldn't surprise me. The new segment of single track is probably a prime morel area.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » May 13th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Still a bit greasy out there, with a couple of VERY muddy spots. We need a few days of dryness then the trail should be fine.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby MalibuLX3 » May 20th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Any hope of this trail drying up soon?
MalibuLX3

Postby c0nsumer » May 20th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Were you out there today?
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby MalibuLX3 » May 20th, 2011, 5:04 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Were you out there today?

Nope, I just assumed with all the recent rain, and the way this trail has been so far this year, it would be wet? Is it?
MalibuLX3

Postby BK big fish » May 21st, 2011, 4:38 am

I was out Friday with my 9 year old daughter and still to wet to ride! avoid for now, I will go out later today for an update! Billy
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » May 23rd, 2011, 7:47 am

Last night I did two reroutes around problem wet areas. One changes the second double-switchback climb into a single switchback with longer legs, circumventing the mud and making the climb nicer. The second changes the routing of another switchback from down into a heavy clay / problem area, shortening it up a bit.

There is one other muddy area along the top of the ridge not far after crossing the small piece of single track heading down to the swamp. This may be addressed via a reroute, although it'll likely dry on its own in not very long.

There is still a great deal of unridable mud on the hillside below the second deer blind bench, so please avoid this area. I'm looking into methods to address this, but it'll likely involve a parallel trail on the top of the ridge. This spring has shown that this segment of the trail is actually in the middle of the natural drain for the higher land along this area. Clearly it'll dry up later in the year, but in interest of making the trail ridable during spring/early summer we'll have to find another way around here.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby G.Cook » May 23rd, 2011, 8:28 am

What about something like this Steve ;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernmmb ... 4092369640
G.Cook

Postby c0nsumer » May 23rd, 2011, 8:56 am

G.Cook wrote:What about something like this Steve ;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernmmb ... 4092369640

That's really nice looking, and we may go this route for one of the areas, but for the sloppy ridge I don't think it'll work. If this was a flat area I'd say yes, but it's something that needed to be bench cut. The base of it, which is a slight uphill, segment has turned into a terrible pit. I don't think it's from runoff down the trail surface either, but instead stuff draining perpendicular down the hill. This area was actually quite dry when we built the trail last year, but this spring has really shown where the crap drains through. :(
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions