CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » April 24th, 2011, 10:24 am

Removed a large (6" across, 24' long) deadman / headhunter / widowmaker / whatever that had been hanging above the trail. It wasn't hanging on very solidly, and throwing a rope up into it and pulling brought it down with relative ease. While it's unlikely that it would hit someone, having such a thing dangling over the trail is never good.

Please continue to avoid the trail for the time being. With the surrounding area draining after the last week's rain it's fairly soft out there.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 25th, 2011, 5:14 am

Sat around 745pm I had to chase 2 guys out of the trail! and explain what they were doing! They were clueless, and the 40lb monsters they were on were cutting into the trail! I am glad I found them at the begining of the trail so they didn't do much pizza cutting. BK
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 25th, 2011, 6:25 am

BK big fish wrote:Sat around 745pm I had to chase 2 guys out of the trail! and explain what they were doing! They were clueless, and the 40lb monsters they were on were cutting into the trail! I am glad I found them at the begining of the trail so they didn't do much pizza cutting. BK

Were these the guys on dirt bikes?

If so, mind calling the police next time you see them?
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 25th, 2011, 7:18 am

No dirt bikes, just heavy azz old mtn bikes! BK
BK big fish

Postby dirt » April 25th, 2011, 7:46 am

BK big fish wrote:No dirt bikes, just heavy azz old mtn bikes! BK

I thought that 40# would be a wee bit light for a dirt bike :wink:
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby Mack » April 25th, 2011, 7:52 am

Ya think! :shock:
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby BK big fish » April 25th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Whats with the Police driving on the cement path and bridge over the river? Maybe those golfers were up to no good. He was driving way to fast, with many people on the trail. I am sure a crime was commited. His SUV was taking up the whole path, so watch out for SUV's along the river area.
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 30th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Pete / PK and I headed out today and finished off the new half-mile segment of trail at the beginning. Good-sized sections of this trail run through grassy areas and these had to be trimmed, and other portions of the trail had tiny twigs growing up that needed to be addressed. After this was done I walked the rest of the non-seasonal trail and cleared all the downed trees and deadfall. I think there were 3 or 4 downed trees and each required some degree of saw work to remove. There were also countless large pieces of brush / deadfall from the recent storms.

Unfortunately, I also found that the trail is too muddy to ride right now. This isn't a surprise given that it's April, right after heavy rains, and all of the trail exists in an area between a man-made water-filled cargo canal and a river. Please avoid the trail (single and two track) until it's had a chance to dry out.

When out there I came across the stakes which the park appears to be using to mark the route of a forthcoming continuation of the asphalt path towards downtown Utica. This will have an impact on the existing single track, but most of that should be limited to the seasonal loops and should not touch any of the MMBA-built trail. I support this work because it'll provide a much-needed connector between Stony Creek and Metro Beach and offer much greater access to the park itself. Once this asphalt work is complete we'll assess the impact to the trails and what additions or changes to the single track will be needed.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 30th, 2011, 11:16 pm

dirt wrote:
BK big fish wrote:No dirt bikes, just heavy azz old mtn bikes! BK

I thought that 40# would be a wee bit light for a dirt bike :wink:

There goes me not knowing much about motorized bikes. ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » May 1st, 2011, 6:47 am

Maybe I'll get a chance to ride this by August when everything dries up...;-)
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby nailgunn » May 5th, 2011, 7:27 am

Any updates on River Bends? I may have a little time today to run the some single track. I would like to try something other than Stoney today
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » May 5th, 2011, 7:57 am

nailgunn wrote:Any updates on River Bends? I may have a little time today to run the some single track. I would like to try something other than Stoney today

I haven't been out there since last weekend doing trail work, when it was a bit muddy. However, I'd think it'd at least be worth checking out. Give it a look and let us know!

(Also, opinions on the new entrance trail and removal of switchback climb at the old single track start would be welcome.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » May 5th, 2011, 8:05 am

c0nsumer wrote:
nailgunn wrote:Any updates on River Bends? I may have a little time today to run the some single track. I would like to try something other than Stoney today

I haven't been out there since last weekend doing trail work, when it was a bit muddy. However, I'd think it'd at least be worth checking out. Give it a look and let us know!

(Also, opinions on the new entrance trail and removal of switchback climb at the old single track start would be welcome.)

Kewl I will do a bit of scouting today I think.
It may be tough for me to form an opinion on something i have never seen but I will do my best :wink:
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby utabintarbo » May 5th, 2011, 8:09 am

nailgunn wrote:It may be tough for me to form an opinion on something i have never seen but I will do my best :wink:

Never stopped you before!

:wink:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » May 5th, 2011, 9:42 am

nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Kewl I will do a bit of scouting today I think.
It may be tough for me to form an opinion on something i have never seen but I will do my best :wink:

When are you heading up there? I may make that part of my ride this evening.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions