CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 12:54 pm

nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
nailgunn wrote:Steve
Are there any trailheads / bike entrances /access other than 22 mile or Ryan?

I am thinking about doing a Urban to River Bend and was wondering if there was access more to the southern part of the single track?

There is no official access; no. Since it's a park there are ways that you can find to get into the park, but as those are not formal entrances they are not advertised or promoted.

I'd suggest riding up Shelby from Utica, then up 22 Mile, then into the park.

Thanks
I think I found a good route for me. Mound to Auburn then up Woodall. That should make use of the official entrances. Just looking to get more trail time then urban

I'm not sure this is the safest route for you to be biking. It's fairly high speed and no shoulder.

If I were you I'd do what I could to get to downtown Utica and then go that route. It's a much, much safer route to ride.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 18th, 2011, 12:59 pm

I second that! not safe, I live off mound and I cut through the sub to get into Riverbends. No shoulder!
BK big fish

Postby nailgunn » April 18th, 2011, 1:07 pm

c0nsumer wrote:If I were you I'd do what I could to get to downtown Utica and then go that route. It's a much, much safer route to ride.

Thanks
I do know what you mean. Sunday I did the Mound road trip in the morning. Little scetchy between 17 and 18 mile. I think got that covered. Jump over to the industrial park area if I don't want to ride in the grass.
I now return you to your trail conditions. :wink:
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 1:21 pm

nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:If I were you I'd do what I could to get to downtown Utica and then go that route. It's a much, much safer route to ride.

Thanks
I do know what you mean. Sunday I did the Mound road trip in the morning. Little scetchy between 17 and 18 mile. I think got that covered. Jump over to the industrial park area if I don't want to ride in the grass.
I now return you to your trail conditions. :wink:

I'd snake your way through neighborhoods (stick to residential streets, and plot your route via Google Maps sat view) to 19 Mile, then take the sidewalks to Merrill. Take that north to Auburn, Auburn to Brownell, something over to Cass, then north up Cass/Shelby to 22 Mile.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jcrazyjj » April 18th, 2011, 4:09 pm

BK big fish wrote:I second that! not safe, I live off mound and I cut through the sub to get into Riverbends. No shoulder!

Where at? I'm right at 23 and Shelby and wouldn't mind another riding buddy.
jcrazyjj

Postby nailgunn » April 18th, 2011, 4:29 pm

jcrazyjj wrote:
BK big fish wrote:I second that! not safe, I live off mound and I cut through the sub to get into Riverbends. No shoulder!

Where at? I'm right at 23 and Shelby and wouldn't mind another riding buddy.

New Post Area

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby BK big fish » April 20th, 2011, 4:43 am

After last nights rain, I am sure it will be a while before RB is ready to ride!!!!!
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 20th, 2011, 6:16 am

BK big fish wrote:After last nights rain, I am sure it will be a while before RB is ready to ride!!!!!

Very much so. Being mostly clay it'll be a while...
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » April 20th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Stayed in Double track. Couple areas flooded nothing big... Avoided Single track looked tooo goooy

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » April 20th, 2011, 8:48 pm

nailgunn wrote:Stayed in Double track. Couple areas flooded nothing big... Avoided Single track looked tooo goooy

For what it's worth, the two track is often terrible when the single track is fine. That said, thanks for holding off today. Today's rain was probably a bit much for the trail.

Also, I think I'm going to be removing the switchback climb at the (old) beginning of the single track. It's out of place, interrupts the flow, and can better be done by following the path which hikers have been following. As soon as I get some time to get out there (maybe this weekend?) I'll make the change.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » April 20th, 2011, 8:55 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
nailgunn wrote:Stayed in Double track. Couple areas flooded nothing big... Avoided Single track looked tooo goooy

For what it's worth, the two track is often terrible when the single track is fine. That said, thanks for holding off today. Today's rain was probably a bit much for the trail.

Also, I think I'm going to be removing the switchback climb at the (old) beginning of the single track. It's out of place, interrupts the flow, and can better be done by following the path which hikers have been following. As soon as I get some time to get out there (maybe this weekend?) I'll make the change.

NP this was more of an exploritory mission for me. Call me if you need a hand this weekend.

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » April 20th, 2011, 8:57 pm

nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

NP this was more of an exploritory mission for me. Call me if you need a hand this weekend.

Thanks, I will. :) This is probably a 15 - 20 minute one-person-plus-rake job at most, but I'll let you know if help is needed.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby lilredrover » April 20th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Not a bad idea at all..post if you'd like a hand, and I just may be able to make this one
lilredrover

Postby BK big fish » April 21st, 2011, 7:29 am

Heading out today around 600, going to ride pavement and look at singletrack, I am thinking it is going to be muddy still! Anybody have an update on conditions?
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 22nd, 2011, 7:36 pm

gearsntears and I headed out to River Bends today and cleared a number (5 or 6?) downed trees from the regular loop of the single track. We also modified the old start of the single track (at the bottom of the two track hill) to remove the switchback climb and make it a straight shot into the trail. This follows a path that had been worn by hikers and which really is a better route.

Also, later on in the trail someone had closed the second reroute that RMXBiker and I did and reopened (raked and all!) the unsustainable, erosion-prone area that was originally established as trail area last year. We re-opened the reroute, modified it slightly to pass through a dryer area and between some trees, and more heavily closed the old segment. Hopefully it'll remain closed.

For now the trail as a whole is too wet to ride, and with the coming rain it'll likely stay this way for a while. While some parts are dry, others are sloppy and wet enough to be a problem. Please be sure the trail is sufficiently dry before riding. Since much of it runs through heavily-clay areas it's prone to pizza cutters that'll dry in place, contribute to more erosion, and be unpleasant to ride once dried.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions