CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » April 15th, 2011, 10:13 am

BK big fish wrote:Any update on the opening of the single track? I have been out and noticed a few pizza's in the muddy sections. Great work on the trail!

Thank you!

It'll probably be complete after this weekend, but I don't want to promise that yet. We only did the initial cutting in last weekend and due to other obligations I haven't been able to make it out there to do work this week.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » April 15th, 2011, 11:12 am

c0nsumer wrote:
BK big fish wrote:Any update on the opening of the single track? I have been out and noticed a few pizza's in the muddy sections. Great work on the trail!

Thank you!

It'll probably be complete after this weekend, but I don't want to promise that yet. We only did the initial cutting in last weekend and due to other obligations I haven't been able to make it out there to do work this week.

What are you trying to say, you got a real job or something...haha! Let me know if you need help out there.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » April 15th, 2011, 11:41 am

RMXByker wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Thank you!

What are you trying to say, you got a real job or something...haha! Let me know if you need help out there.

Noon on Sunday if you're up for it. :) Just going to finish off the start and end of the new segment, dig some dirt for the approaches for the bridge, mark trees to be cut out, adjust signage, and generally walk the route to be sure there's nothing lingering that needs fixing.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 17th, 2011, 7:26 pm

At noon today utabintarbo, compengr & his wife, and I headed out to River Bends and finished off the new entrance trail. This half-mile of new single track begins at the trail head and exits across the pavement from the two track, providing an alternate route from the parking lot / paved path to the off-road trail system. While relatively flat, this route winds between trees, along small ridges, and over the occasional small roller. There's even a bridge at the far end.

There are currently two fallen trees on the route, but these should be removed as soon as the park gets a chance. Some line trimming is also needed to better define the trail, but it's plenty ridable now. New temporary signage is in place and an updated map which includes this route is forthcoming. To find the trailt just proceed ~20' past the trail head and turn right on to the single track and follow the yellow signs.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 17th, 2011, 7:58 pm

And... here's the latest map: River_Bends_17-Apr-2011.pdf.

The new segment can be seen leading away from the parking lot, and it connects up directly with the two track.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Trail_Warrior » April 18th, 2011, 8:56 am

I still need to try out the new single track, any opinions on how the trail will be following this mid-april snow?
Trail_Warrior

Postby mr_opjones » April 18th, 2011, 9:06 am

Great work all, thanks for putting in the time to get another trail in the area.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 9:14 am

Trail_Warrior wrote:I still need to try out the new single track, any opinions on how the trail will be following this mid-april snow?

Probably crap for a few days, to be honest. River Bends is very clay-y and shaded and not far from standing water so it dries relatively slowly. Looking at the forecast I'd guess a week at this point?
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 18th, 2011, 11:00 am

Sections of the trail were really soft and muddy yesterday, had to dismount and walk a few spots. Some downed trees out there. BK
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 12:03 pm

BK big fish wrote:Sections of the trail were really soft and muddy yesterday, had to dismount and walk a few spots. Some downed trees out there. BK

Were you one of the two guys who I pointed on to the new section of trail? Also, where are these trees you were talking about? If they were on the new segment of trail then those are already known. If on the stuff from last year, mind telling me where they were at?

Thanks!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 18th, 2011, 12:21 pm

No, I was out last night around 630. I think the tree was after the new bridge? and another along the railroad tracks on the east side of park, seasonal loop? I have only been out there 2 times so my info may be off? Sorry. Billy.
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 12:24 pm

BK big fish wrote:No, I was out last night around 630. I think the tree was after the new bridge? and another along the railroad tracks on the east side of park, seasonal loop? I have only been out there 2 times so my info may be off? Sorry. Billy.

Ah, no problem. Thanks for the info, though.

If it's the stuff before and after the new bridge in the very beginning entrance trail, if I know about them those would have been sprayed with cut lines and an X indicating to the park where they should cut them at. I'll head out and take a look for / at the others once the weather clears up a bit.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » April 18th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Steve
Are there any trailheads / bike entrances /access other than 22 mile or Ryan?

I am thinking about doing a Urban to River Bend and was wondering if there was access more to the southern part of the single track?
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2011, 12:42 pm

nailgunn wrote:Steve

I am thinking about doing a Urban to River Bend and was wondering if there was access more to the southern part of the single track?

There is no official access; no. Since it's a park there are ways that you can find to get into the park, but as those are not formal entrances they are not advertised or promoted.

I'd suggest riding up Shelby from Utica, then up 22 Mile, then into the park.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » April 18th, 2011, 12:51 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
nailgunn wrote:Steve

There is no official access; no. Since it's a park there are ways that you can find to get into the park, but as those are not formal entrances they are not advertised or promoted.

I'd suggest riding up Shelby from Utica, then up 22 Mile, then into the park.

Thanks
I think I found a good route for me. Mound to Auburn then up Woodall. That should make use of the official entrances. Just looking to get more trail time then urban
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions