CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby MalibuLX3 » March 19th, 2011, 9:40 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
MalibuLX3 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Give it a week or so and I suspect it'll be ridable.

That soon?? Awesome, I'm looking forward to giving this trail a try!

That's my guess. Of course, if you get out there and the ground is soft and you are leaving ruts, please turn back. It'll be a lot of work to fix the existing pizza cutter ruts from those who already headed out there, so please don't add to this.

No worries about that. I plan on helping out at a few of the local "Trail Days" , so I wouldn't want to make more work for myself! :lol:
MalibuLX3

Postby c0nsumer » March 19th, 2011, 9:43 pm

MalibuLX3 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
MalibuLX3 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Give it a week or so and I suspect it'll be ridable.

That soon?? Awesome, I'm looking forward to giving this trail a try!

That's my guess. Of course, if you get out there and the ground is soft and you are leaving ruts, please turn back. It'll be a lot of work to fix the existing pizza cutter ruts from those who already headed out there, so please don't add to this.

No worries about that. I plan on helping out at a few of the local "Trail Days" , so I wouldn't want to make more work for myself! :lol:

Thanks! That'll be great. I'll post up here when they are occurring.

The trail is actually in really good shape after the winter. The snow/wetness helped settle it in, and once the ground dries out it should be great. There's two sections that we're looking at slightly rerouting and a bit more bench cutting needed, but this is only typical new trail finishing touches that are needed.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » March 20th, 2011, 11:28 am

Let me know when you need some help Steve. I'm down for helping out as well.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » March 27th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Please continue to avoid River Bends. Both the two track and single track are currently too soft to ride without creating huge ruts. While there are a few dry areas, don't be deceived into attempting to ride the trail, as you'll quickly end up doing damage.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 2nd, 2011, 7:29 pm

Jon / RMXByker and I headed out to River Bends today to try and sort out some problem spots on the trail. Today's work resulted in a slightly rerouted return loop entrance and a reroute around the steep/blind down/uphill near the split-off to the seasonal loop when riding in the proper direction. Pete / PK and Mark Senyk also stopped by and helped us with getting the return loop entrance planned and cleared.

While much of the trail is dry, a good deal of it remains too muddy to safely ride and therefore I must ask that it be avoided until it can dry a bit further. After the muddy spots have had a chance to dry it'll be all set to go. Well, the non-seasonal stuff, that is... The seasonal loop is mostly under water.

That photo above shows Jon standing on a new return trail entrance that allows those riding laps to duck back into the trail easily, and here is me standing on the new reroute around a problem hill.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 5th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I'm going to call River Bends okay to ride. There's still a few greasy spots, but nothing that's properly muddy and to be avoided. Of course, rain over the next few days may change that.

I headed out tonight and got in one lap before the sun set and it was quite enjoyable. The reworked return loop entrance and portion near the end of the MMBA-built single track work out very well.

Now to find time to build the next half-mile of trail... ;)

(Oh, and be careful hopping up the curbs in the parking lot. If you do something dumb like I did you could end up with this.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby KLydesdale » April 5th, 2011, 9:27 pm

It's funny... I've seen posts about this trail for the last couple of years and, after looking at it on a Bing satellite map, I just now realized that River Bends park is the place where I attended day camp for a few weeks each summer for a couple of years. I recognized the layout of the terrain and the places we used to hike play games and generally goof around in the fields and woods.

I'm going to have to make it out there one of these day to check out the trails and see how the place has changed in the last 40 years. :shock:
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » April 5th, 2011, 9:31 pm

KLydesdale wrote:It's funny... I've seen posts about this trail for the last couple of years and, after looking at it on a Bing satellite map, I just now realized that River Bends park is the place where I attended day camp for a few weeks each summer for a couple of years. I recognized the layout of the terrain and the places we used to hike play games and generally goof around in the fields and woods.

I'm going to have to make it out there one of these day to check out the trails and see how the place has changed in the last 40 years. :shock:

It actually used to be one of the Dodge parks, was Joe Louis' farm, and was a Nike site.

Let me know when you go; I'm only about 3 miles away away by bike (4 mile by preferred route). There's about 2.5 miles of ridable single track right now, 3.2 when the floodplain is dry (May-ish). It's new trail and not particularly varying, but it does have its ups and downs. I think it rolls fairly well and is reasonably scenic. No through-brush tunnels here; some of it is plateaued ridge through large (for the area) trees 10 - 30 feet above a floodplain. Twice today I was riding along through groups of running deer.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » April 8th, 2011, 7:55 pm

I know it's late notice, but tomorrow (09-Apr-2011) at noon (12:00pm) a few of us are meeting to cut some new trail at River Bends, so if any of you would like to join us, please come on out. We're adding another ~.5 miles at the very beginning so that one can ride single track from the parking lot, a wee bit of two track (the fast, wide, loose downhill), and then be right on the single track again.

Please be in the parking lot and ready to go at noon, bring garden and/or leaf rakes, gloves, and stuff to drink and snack on (if you so choose). Most of the work will be clearing of deadfall and raking away leaves and brush

If you arrive after noon and wish to find us, start walking down the trail past the mountain bike sign for about 20', then turn to your right and follow the orange tape on the trees.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » April 9th, 2011, 7:08 am

Wish I could make it out there to help ya out Steve. I will be around next weekend though if more work needs to be done!
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » April 10th, 2011, 9:35 am

A huge thank-you to the surprisingly number of people who showed up yesterday! We got the next segment of trail almost completely cleared, there's just a little work left (including the construction of a small bridge) before it can be opened, but once this is done we'll have another half mile(-ish, still have to do the final mapping) in the form of an entrance trail

This means that one will be able ride single track from the trail head to a small stub of two track, then hop right back on the single track and ride to the furthest end of the park. Pavement or two track can be ridden as a return, and the new return trail entrance allowing laps to be easily done.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby deskinsd87 » April 10th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Glad I could help I have been riding stoney and riverbends for 2 years now and haven't been able to make a trail day before. The new section looks like it will be fun stuff.
deskinsd87

Postby c0nsumer » April 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Ever wondered what your MMBA membership dollars go towards? Well, bridges like this are exactly the sort of thing that MMBA membership dollars go to fund.

This is a bridge built in a new segment of trail at River Bends that's yet to open. With any luck it'll be open in a couple of weeks and provide a nice, winding, scenic path from the parking lot to an area quite close to the rest of the single track.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 14th, 2011, 5:41 am

I took my 9 year old daughter out last night and rode the 2-track, she wanted to hit the singletrack but I told her it was too muddy! and we need to wait. She asked why so I had to explain the reasons not to ride a wet trail and she said, "that makes sense, I don't want to cut up the trail!" love that kid! We can't wait to ride the trail and great job out there with getting the trail ready! BK
BK big fish

Postby BK big fish » April 15th, 2011, 7:55 am

Any update on the opening of the single track? I have been out and noticed a few pizza's in the muddy sections. Great work on the trail!
BK big fish

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions