CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Top-notch winter riding out there right now. There is a medium (~12") tree down on the uphill in the furthest south loop of the Seasonal Loops, but otherwise all of the single track is clear, hard, and smooth. The four trees in the previous post are still down on the two track, but these aren't difficult to ride over.

It's extremely pleasant to ride out there right now. The snow/thaw/freeze smoothed out the new trail a bit more, hopefully providing a preview of how it'll be after the spring thaw. Most of the trail is dry and snow covered, although the occasional bits of ice might make studs a good idea. The creek in the seasonal loops is flowing per usual, but it's not difficult to walk over the temporary bridge.

(Oh, and my camera is terribly noisy at ISO1600.)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Sortaslow » January 4th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Ohh studs yes. That light powder snow hides ice patches very we'll.

You think that picture is noisy .... 1,000 x better than my best cell phone pics... especially at night!
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Sortaslow wrote:Ohh studs yes. That light powder snow hides ice patches very we'll.

You think that picture is noisy .... 1,000 x better than my best cell phone pics... especially at night!

Ha. View the full res here. It's a surprisingly bad sensor. It's just high res enough that scaled down it's not as noticeable.

The only spot I actually noticed ice was in the low laying parts of the seasonal loop. It was clearly flooded during the thaw but has since frozen over into nice smooth patches, some complete with an icy top with air gap below making for nice breaking sounds while riding over it.

While I agree that the light snow will hide ice, it's still usually possible to tell where it is. All of the single track that we put in was pavement-like and would likely have been better ridden on plain rubber.

Definitely get out there and ride.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby PK » February 19th, 2011, 10:16 am

It was very nice out there this morning. About 50% frozen dirt. Only the low-country grassy section was still snow-covered. Some areas required studs, but I'd guess that if one was careful, they could manage to still enjoy it. I was able to ride about 99% of it with studs. Twice.

Sunday AM looks to be good as well, but please avoid it when it gets above freezing. It wouldn't be any fun anyways when greasy...

I plan to be out there again Sunday AM if anybody needs a tour guide...

Pete.
PK

Metro North: River Bends

Postby ralange » February 19th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Pete what time are you planning to get to the trail Sunday morning.
ralange

Postby PK » February 19th, 2011, 6:52 pm

9:00 AM is what I'm thinking.......

Pete
PK

Postby c0nsumer » March 13th, 2011, 9:59 pm

New version of the River Bends map is now available here in PDF form. I cleaned a few things up, added more of the pavement and roads from the other half of the park, added the train tracks and river (they are useful as reference points), changed the key, and added the address. Most importantly, the lines on the map were changed to dashed lines, so that the map will be usable when printed in either B&W or color.

There's probably some tweaking left to do, but by the time another version of the map is out maybe there'll be a bit more single track too... ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby lilredrover » March 13th, 2011, 11:56 pm

looks awesome, Steve! :-)
lilredrover

Postby utabintarbo » March 14th, 2011, 6:36 am

I don't like the color choices. :evil:

:wink: :lol:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » March 14th, 2011, 6:42 am

utabintarbo wrote:I don't like the color choices. :evil:

:wink: :lol:

Then print it in B&W. ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby dinov » March 14th, 2011, 7:19 am

This has become one of my favorite trails around that area,nice work
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
dinov

Postby RMXByker » March 14th, 2011, 7:45 am

Nice looking map Steve. Looking forward to getting out there and suffering again when the trails dry up.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » March 19th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Today's walk of the single track showed that the trail is definitely not ready for riding. There's still some very greasy / wet spots, and someone folks have been out there leaving both dirt bike and mountain bike pizza cutters. There's only one downed tree on the normal loop and I'll try to have it taken care of before the trail is ready to ride.

There's a small amount of rerouting/fixing that'll be done this year to address some problem areas, but in general the trail is looking good.

Give it a week or so and I suspect it'll be ridable.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby MalibuLX3 » March 19th, 2011, 9:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Give it a week or so and I suspect it'll be ridable.

That soon?? Awesome, I'm looking forward to giving this trail a try!
MalibuLX3

Postby c0nsumer » March 19th, 2011, 9:25 pm

MalibuLX3 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Give it a week or so and I suspect it'll be ridable.

That soon?? Awesome, I'm looking forward to giving this trail a try!

That's my guess. Of course, if you get out there and the ground is soft and you are leaving ruts, please turn back. It'll be a lot of work to fix the existing pizza cutter ruts from those who already headed out there, so please don't add to this.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions