CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » December 9th, 2010, 1:49 pm

mr_opjones wrote:Good way, no. Best way is to go down either 22 mile or Ryan road, neither road has a sidewalk or paved shoulder, to Holland parks ponds park (22 mile & Ryan). Go to the back of the park, down the large set of wooden steps. Follow that single track up to the 2 track and take that out to yates. Go across the river and Road, go in thru the cutout in the gate into the back of Bloomer park.

That's the fun way. 22 Mile nor Ryan are what I'd consider safe to ride, though.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby E-Man » December 10th, 2010, 6:05 pm

mr_opjones wrote:Good way, no. A way is to go down either 22 mile or Ryan road, neither road has a sidewalk or paved shoulder, to Holland parks ponds park (22 mile & Ryan). Go to the back of the park, down the large set of wooden steps. Follow that single track up to the 2 track and take that out to yates. Go across the river and Road, go in thru the cutout in the gate into the back of Bloomer park.

I agree with this. Did it a few weeks ago, went from river bends to Holland ponds. I did not know where holland ponds would lead, but happily it lead to yates and then just across the road to bloomer.
On the way back I tried to get back into river bends through the day site (fishing area off ryan rd). Found a board walk that I rode. Over a wooden bridge and up some steps and that seemed to lead me into the firing range, so I went a different way and ended up behind the nature center building. I talked to a guy at the nature center area and he said that the first route is safe - people at the firing range would have to be shooting 45 degrees from where they are supposed to. I have not been back to check it out again.

Also, were is that bunker out at river bends? Is there a marker for it?
E-Man

Postby deskinsd87 » December 11th, 2010, 3:49 am

what are those deer blind looking things that overlook the clearings along the path? I was kinda curious when I rode past them last time I was out there.
deskinsd87

Postby c0nsumer » December 11th, 2010, 10:07 am

deskinsd87 wrote:what are those deer blind looking things that overlook the clearings along the path? I was kinda curious when I rode past them last time I was out there.

They are animal viewing things; a past Eagle Scout project.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » December 11th, 2010, 10:09 am

E-Man wrote:Also, were is that bunker out at river bends? Is there a marker for it?

Bunker? Are you referring to the old Nike stuff out there? If so, check out this site for a map of where things were. Most of it's gone, save for the arming shed which was part of the IFC.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » December 11th, 2010, 1:12 pm

3 of us rode it yesterday and had a nice enjoyable ride. The off-camber stuff (most of the trail) was an extra challenge in the snow. We did some poking around and I think there may be some ways to to get to Bloomer w/o major road riding. If this turns out to be the case, we may put this very pleasant trail in our regular rotation. Saw a walker who may have had a heart attack out there. I think he's OK. At least we wren't riding Kensington and finding murder victims!
ihateplaindave

Postby c0nsumer » December 11th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Removed the leaning tree pictured here.

Also wandered a bunch and looked for where some more trail might be able to go. There's definitely some interesting possibilites to make it almost all single track from the trailhead...
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Re: Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby Sortaslow » December 11th, 2010, 6:08 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Removed the leaning tree pictured here.

.... There's definitely some interesting possibilites to make it almost all single track from the trailhead...

Sweet! Has the park been accommodating with what you need want to do out there?
Sortaslow

Re: Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » December 11th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Sortaslow wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Removed the leaning tree pictured here.

.... There's definitely some interesting possibilites to make it almost all single track from the trailhead...

Sweet! Has the park been accommodating with what you need want to do out there?

Thus far, yes.

When spring rolls around I'll take a look at the area and if it's usable (in this area I think that'll mean not wet) then I'll figure out a preliminary route, write a proposal with maps, etc, and see what the park thinks of it. The place I'm thinking of is to the right of the first bit of gravel-y two track leading from the parking lot, but back in a little ways as the stuff right along the two track gets quite wet. If one goes back a bit in the woods there, the triangle made of the pavement and two track has some nice small ridges in it, and I think it could make a nice area for a slowly winding trail with some gentle rollers, log piles, etc.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » December 22nd, 2010, 10:11 pm

Many trees down out there, both on the 2-track as well as the singletrack.

I didn't get very far on the singletrack, as the trail was effectively camouflaged by snow. :(
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » December 22nd, 2010, 10:19 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Many trees down out there, both on the 2-track as well as the singletrack.

I didn't get very far on the singletrack, as the trail was effectively camouflaged by snow. :(

How big are the ones on the single track? I'm hoping to head out there tomorrow, but we'll see how that goes...

Unfortunately it appears that I lost my Sven-Saw last time I was out there doing trail work. :( I thought I hadn't brought it with me, but I must have but dropped/misplaced it.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » December 22nd, 2010, 10:34 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:Many trees down out there, both on the 2-track as well as the singletrack.

How big are the ones on the single track? I'm hoping to head out there tomorrow, but we'll see how that goes...

Unfortunately it appears that I lost my Sven-Saw last time I was out there doing trail work. :( I thought I hadn't brought it with me, but I must have but dropped/misplaced it.

The one on the singletrack that I ran across was pretty small, say 4-ish inches. That applies to most of the downed trees I ran into. It seems the smaller trees were hit the hardest.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » December 22nd, 2010, 10:47 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

The one on the singletrack that I ran across was pretty small, say 4-ish inches. That applies to most of the downed trees I ran into. It seems the smaller trees were hit the hardest.

Hrm. Well, I'll see what I can do about them tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know. :)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » December 23rd, 2010, 10:41 pm

River Bends single track is pretty much too snow covered to ride right now. Even with super-knobby tires it's difficult to maintain traction and just not much fun to ride. A fat bike may be okay. I didn't venture out on to the seasonal loops.

The two track has a 12" (or so) wide, relatively flat groove that's quite ridable, and the pavement is a mix of bare asphalt and light (very ridable) snow.

For what it's worth, most of the paths along the roads near River Bends are terrible riding. It appears that property owners aren't interested in clearing these paths and then with walkers on them they have turned into a terrible, slippery, churning mess. It's amazing balance practice to ride these, but harder than any of the climbs at Holdridge if there's even a slight uphill. It's actually easier to bypass the paths and just ride across lawns in the snow / drifts.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » December 25th, 2010, 11:46 pm

The regular route is pretty terrible for riding, even though it's (now) completely clear of trees and deadfall. Unless we get a serious thaw and refreeze it'll probably be best to leave this segment for hiking until spring. Feel free to try it on bike, but it won't be much fun.

The seasonal loop and two track appears well packed due to a large number of hikers, so this seems to have a nicely packed 12" path through it. There's a good number of trees down on the two track, but all are ridable.

With the trees down I've been scouting around for places where new trail could fit, and maybe if the area I'm thinking proves to be sufficiently dry (come spring) and the park's all right with it we'll have single track beginning tens of feet from the trailhead adding another half mile or so.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions