CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby ilikenature » September 21st, 2013, 12:41 pm

jer091 wrote:Just trimmed the swamp section and it's very muddy again. Walked part of the trailhead and it's slightly muddy. Probably give it a few more hours for the yellow loop.

Sent from my Razr HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. May ride it later tonight if it stays dry.
ilikenature

Postby Hat_Trick » September 23rd, 2013, 5:17 pm

8pm yesterday -lower seasonal loop had several muddy/puddle places. Yellow loop out was pretty much dry. Yellow loop back had a couple minor muddy spots. There is a headhunter branch across the trail a couple corners before the Nessie bridge. Look out for it shortly after you turn a corner and go between the two halves of a large log that was chainsawed apart to clear the trail.
Hat_Trick

Postby Hat_Trick » September 23rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

I should add that the last segment (fall 2012 addition) looked too sloppy to bother with.
Hat_Trick

Postby jer091 » September 23rd, 2013, 7:59 pm

Said "headhunter" was removed today.

The trail is overall in good condition. All deadfall has been removed and cleared.

The north "swamp" loops if rideable. as of tonight it was packing mud and will only get better without rain. Its not what I would call "enjoyable" but it is rideable.

There is a re-route in progress in the very south end of the blue loop, should be done tomorrow. please relay your thoughts on the change.

So everyone is clear, the floodplain section of the blue loop (the straight and boring, with the stream crossing and the climb out near the edison lines) has been abandoned and will not be cleared or improved by CRAMBA. please do not use this section of trail. The canal ridge line heading south is now a 2 way section of trail for the time being. Please use caution as there are some blind spots.

After the Township/City complete the paved path from Utica to River Bends (now slated for "Spring/Summer 2014"), we will re-evaluate this area for new trail.
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » September 24th, 2013, 11:06 am

Just FYI, the official River Bends map will be updated to reflect the changes Jeremy / jer091 is discussing in a week or so. I think the big points will be:

- Lower floodplain section of trail removed from MTB route and labeled as Other Trail. (You can still ride it if you want, but it won't be maintained.)
- Last autumn's new construction labeled Seasonal and appropriately called Swamp Loop.
- Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal ridge segment turned into two-way, as it is commonly ridden.
- Some naming updates, as appropriate.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby tripleskulls » September 24th, 2013, 1:14 pm

If the map is being updated anyway.. perhaps continue the recommended "other trail" to Chapaton St. and label as an unofficial connector to Downtown Utica and CRPT?
tripleskulls

Postby c0nsumer » September 24th, 2013, 1:31 pm

tripleskulls wrote:If the map is being updated anyway.. perhaps continue the recommended "other trail" to Chapaton St. and label as an unofficial connector to Downtown Utica and CRPT?

The trail is on the current map, but as you say it is not labeled. I'll take the labeling of it under consideration. I was resistant previously, but I think it'll be fine now.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » September 24th, 2013, 1:57 pm

The canal ridge line heading south is now a 2 way section of trail for the time being.

Bench-cut a second trail on the west side of the existing trail. Have it flow up and down the side of hill there. Just for the fun of it. :shock:
????????

(Or is that the area slated for the paved trail that keeps getting postponed?)

Pete.
PK

Postby tripleskulls » September 24th, 2013, 2:25 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
tripleskulls wrote:If the map is being updated anyway.. perhaps continue the recommended "other trail" to Chapaton St. and label as an unofficial connector to Downtown Utica and CRPT?

The trail is on the current map, but as you say it is not labeled. I'll take the labeling of it under consideration. I was resistant previously, but I think it'll be fine now.

I suppose the label would be temporary - when and if the paved trail is done, it would become the official connector (at which point I assume there will be an updated map). It would be helpful to newcomers in the meantime. Thanks for considering - appreciate all the great work you do on the trails.
tripleskulls

Postby jer091 » September 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm

tripleskulls wrote:when and if the paved trail is done,
:icon_thumright:
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » September 24th, 2013, 4:31 pm

PK wrote:
The canal ridge line heading south is now a 2 way section of trail for the time being.

Bench-cut a second trail on the west side of the existing trail. Have it flow up and down the side of hill there. Just for the fun of it. :shock:
????????

(Or is that the area slated for the paved trail that keeps getting postponed?)

Pete.

Since it is so unknown I think it best to do nothing of the sort for right now. The pavement will be in that general area so we would prefer to not spend a lot of volunteer effort in that area. Once we know with certainty where the pavement is then we will plan something around that.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » September 24th, 2013, 4:33 pm

tripleskulls wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

I suppose the label would be temporary - when and if the paved trail is done, it would become the official connector (at which point I assume there will be an updated map). It would be helpful to newcomers in the meantime. Thanks for considering - appreciate all the great work you do on the trails.

Yep, I agree. I was hesitant before because this route was barely a scratch in the grass, but now that the local HS cross country running team has marked it with orange flags and whatnot, its more established. Thus I will probably add it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » September 29th, 2013, 7:16 am

Question, I rode the seasonal loop (generally don't) yesterday following the new 2 way route and came to a large intersection, it seemed like every direction had a wrong way indicator the arrow pointed to one direction but when I got into the trail, wrong way marker... Has my misspent youth led to another hallucination?
2slo2endo

Postby champ128 » September 29th, 2013, 7:21 am

2slo2endo wrote:Question, I rode the seasonal loop (generally don't) yesterday following the new 2 way route and came to a large intersection, it seemed like every direction had a wrong way indicator the arrow pointed to one direction but when I got into the trail, wrong way marker... Has my misspent youth led to another hallucination?

I believe you are speaking of where the new reroute is. Just before the wrong way placard the trail splits to the right. There is two rollers that can make it appear as though this is a closed section, but in fact it is not. The intersection is a figure eight.
champ128

Postby c0nsumer » September 29th, 2013, 3:29 pm

The River Bends map has been updated. The latest version can be found here: http://mmba.org/library/maps/riverbends/latest.pdf

This adds some per-segment naming and also marks (as requested) the Other Trails towards Utica as To Utica.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments