CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » November 19th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Trail_Warrior wrote:Wouldn't mind trying the new trail out before it starts snowing... a lot of good feedback and being that its close, even better :D

For what it's worth, I personally ride there a lot in winter and I suspect the trail will make for some good winter riding. There's some steep bits, but nothing sustained. It should be just about perfect for poking around slowly in the snow.

(UPDATE: I should say that I rode there a lot the past winters and it was great, and when laying out the new single track I had the continuation of good winter riding in the back of my mind.)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » November 24th, 2010, 6:41 pm

There's a massive tree (~40' long or so) down across one of the climbs near the beginning of the single track. It obviously can't be moved, so a gap will have to be sawn in the middle. I'll try and get to it over the weekend, but we may need to wait for the park to chainsaw it out.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Toy529 » November 24th, 2010, 7:08 pm

That would make a sweet log pile !
Toy529

Postby c0nsumer » November 24th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Toy529 wrote:That would make a sweet log pile !

Unfortunately, not there. It's part-way up a moderate climb, and there'd be no good way to work in a bypass. If it was on a flat section of trail I'd look into making it one, but it just doesn't belong there. :(
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Roy » December 5th, 2010, 6:46 am

Start your chain saws. There is another tree, 3 times that size, down. It is down just before the new bridge. (1.5 mile from parking lot) There are 1 or 2 more small trees blocking the trail, also.
The signage is probably the best I have seen. It is easy to see, placed high, and a small target ( important in hunting areas ) I think the MMBA should adapt this signage as a standard.
The trail is getting longer. Bumper to Bumper (or, out and back) I clocked 4.3 miles.

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » December 5th, 2010, 9:32 am

Roy wrote:Start your chain saws. There is another tree, 3 times that size, down. It is down just before the new bridge. (1.5 mile from parking lot) There are 1 or 2 more small trees blocking the trail, also.
The signage is probably the best I have seen. It is easy to see, placed high, and a small target ( important in hunting areas ) I think the MMBA should adapt this signage as a standard.
The trail is getting longer. Bumper to Bumper (or, out and back) I clocked 4.3 miles.

Roy

Thanks for the update. We're not permitted to use chainsaws in the park, but a couple of us are heading out with a 48" bow saw today so we should be able to take care of these.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby dinov » December 5th, 2010, 11:02 am

This trail has become a favorite one for my son and I to ride , its just right for him not to much elevation but just enough to build his confidents. Keep up the great work...
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
dinov

Postby c0nsumer » December 5th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Nick (dirt) and Erik (bergsteiger) standing on top of a massive tree fall at River Bends.

Erik (bergsteiger) and Nick (dirt) standing in the cleared single track at River Bends after a bit more than an hour of work with hand tools.

Today Erik (bergsteiger), Nick (dirt) and I headed out to River Bends with Erik's wonderful 4' bow saw and sorted out both the single fallen tree pictured up the thread and the conflagaration that Roy alluded to. The pile above (what Roy was talking about) was new within the last week and was located just after the log pile (end of the first phase of trail) and before the bridge. It completely blocked the trail and had no easy path to walk around it. After more than an hour of work with hand tools and Erik doing a lot of the sawing (Picture 1, Picture 2) the segment was open and ridable.

In this one place alone there were five trees (and various broken limbs) laying in one pile. There must have been quite a ruckus when this all dropped.

Roy wrote:Start your chain saws. There is another tree, 3 times that size, down. It is down just before the new bridge. (1.5 mile from parking lot) There are 1 or 2 more small trees blocking the trail, also.

That wasn't just one tree... It's now gone, though.

Roy wrote:The signage is probably the best I have seen. It is easy to see, placed high, and a small target ( important in hunting areas ) I think the MMBA should adapt this signage as a standard.

Thank you. That's just our temporary signage, but it was designed to be fairly durable as well, so hopefully it'll hold up until the replacement signage is sorted out.

dinov wrote:This trail has become a favorite one for my son and I to ride , its just right for him not to much elevation but just enough to build his confidents. Keep up the great work...

Thank you. :) I took my fiancee's nephew (9 years old) on here a few months back for one of his first real mountain bike rides, and it was a great trail for him to get started on as well.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Roy » December 6th, 2010, 6:32 am

Signage:
It really is the best in the state. If you replace it, make it the same size and color. The only improvement might be better plastic and use Stainless Steel screws to attach it with.
really!

roy
Roy

Postby PK » December 6th, 2010, 7:58 pm

I find it very easy to agree with Roy about the signage...

It would be very slick (and very easy) to have these simple signs at all our trails. It would be easy to keep up with repair / replacements due to the simplicity of the design.

Good job Steve!
PK

Postby c0nsumer » December 6th, 2010, 11:17 pm

PK wrote:I find it very easy to agree with Roy about the signage...

It would be very slick (and very easy) to have these simple signs at all our trails. It would be easy to keep up with repair / replacements due to the simplicity of the design.

Good job Steve!

Thank you. :D

I remember seeing some DNR (or something?) corrugated plastic signs that were blue diamonds, silkscreened with logos in white, and this gave me the idea. I may look into something like this, but silkscreened, logo'd, etc, and yet still with placable arrows.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » December 7th, 2010, 9:55 pm

If you've ever wanted to see what it's like to ride a paved trail, now is the time to check out River Bends. There's no snow on the trail, and last week's rain dampened the dirt before it froze in place, making a trail that is grippier than brushed concrete. I can only imagine that this is what it's like to ride on slickrock.

There's yet another tree leaning over the trail in the trouble spot that we just cleared (blurry photo above and here), but it doesn't impede riding the trail. I'll try and get it knocked down and dragged aside this weekend.

With all these dead, fallen ash we've got quite a collection of nice logs for building some log piles in the spring.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » December 9th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Is there a good way to ride from the trailhead to Bloomer?
ihateplaindave

Postby c0nsumer » December 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:Is there a good way to ride from the trailhead to Bloomer?

I'd take this route.

I frequently ride these areas, and there are safe sidewalks / paths or easy residential streets the whole way, except for the small segment of Shelby Road. Along that bit of Shelby there's a worn dirt single track in the grass along the road, and that's usually quite ridable. You could also use the Bloomer rear / back / secret entrance across from Yates at 23 Mile and Dequinder.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby mr_opjones » December 9th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Good way, no. A way is to go down either 22 mile or Ryan road, neither road has a sidewalk or paved shoulder, to Holland parks ponds park (22 mile & Ryan). Go to the back of the park, down the large set of wooden steps. Follow that single track up to the 2 track and take that out to yates. Go across the river and Road, go in thru the cutout in the gate into the back of Bloomer park.
Last edited by mr_opjones on December 9th, 2010, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions