CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby Mack » September 20th, 2013, 9:32 am

Yup there sure is a way. I dont know the names of all the streets, so I will let the TC's for RB c0nsumer & Jer091 handle
this one.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Sortaslow » September 20th, 2013, 11:14 am

So once you end the singletrack at CRPT, go right and keep taking the paved path all the way to Heritage park. So you will go under the Van Dyke tunnel essentially and then end up at Heritage.
Once in Heritage, stay on the paved path. It will end at a street called Nichols. Just slightly to your front right is apartments or condos. Go left on Nichols. Take it to Davis and make a right. Take this to dt Utica. You will see that davis ends and turns into a small path which goes though a tunnel (m59 is above).
Take this to Auburn rd and turn right. Make a left at Brownell. Take this to Chapton street and make a left. Chapton will end in a field. You can see the worn on bike path.
Take this past the rr tracks, through the fence opening and bam! You are in River Bends.
It's about a 22 mile trip with all the singletrack, except seasonal loop and ending at Edison if that is where you started.

It's smart to get a beer and burger at Shamrock in dt Utica.

I think this would make a fun group ride, especially winter snow rides.

Look at this on Google satellite and it makes prefect sense.
Last edited by Sortaslow on September 20th, 2013, 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sortaslow

Postby utabintarbo » September 20th, 2013, 11:16 am

madmike23 wrote:Is there really a way to connect Riverbends to CRPT? Can someone please explain the route. That would be awesome.

Here is a Strava post of a CRPT/RB combo meal.
utabintarbo

Postby turbotoad » September 20th, 2013, 11:25 am

Here is how I got there yesterday.
- Where the single track of CRPT dumps out onto the paved bike path.....head North (turn right).
- Continue North and do not cross any bridge(s) over the river. Keep river on your left.
- Paved bike path will eventually go UNDER Riverland Dr. and Van Dyke Rd.
- Your now in Heritage Park. Follow paved path OVER the (river) bridge and it will end at Nichols St.
- Turn left (West) and go to the first street, Davis Dr.
- Turn Right (North) and go to end of street. Road will end but a paved tunnel goes UNDER M-59.
- Continue straight until you come to Auburn Road.
- Cross Auburn road and then turn Right (East). Go past the fire station until Brownell St.
- Turn Left (North) and continue past the middle school to Chapoton St.
-Turn left (West) and continue to the end of the road.
- There will be a trail at the end of the road. Go down the hill and turn right where the trail intersect another trail.
- Follow the trail West to the RR tracks. Cross the RR tracks and climb the trail up into the River Bends trail systems.
- Look for the BLUE bike trail signs and follow.

turbotoad

Postby utabintarbo » September 20th, 2013, 11:34 am

FTR, there are several entrance/exits to River Bends. The one we used in my Strava post was a bit north of the one above. Either will get you in. HTH.
utabintarbo

Postby madmike23 » September 20th, 2013, 12:04 pm

That is Awesome. Maybe I will try this on the weekend. Thanks All!
madmike23

Postby c0nsumer » September 20th, 2013, 5:22 pm

One thing to add, use Bob/utabintarbo's route. When following the dirt path after Chopton stay along the fence by turning right. There are likely orange pin flags you can follow, then cross the railroad tracks where they are painted orange. The other route (straight in instead of following north along the fence) is crappy trail and it sucks to ride.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby turbotoad » September 20th, 2013, 9:23 pm

c0nsumer wrote:The other route (straight in instead of following north along the fence) is crappy trail and it sucks to ride.

Ride?! LOL. Yeah from the East edge of the RR track base up to where the actual RB trails are is basically unridable. I had to walk my bike through there. I would love to see someone clear that section riding their bike! At any rate, it IS an access point, but the other one that Steve mentioned might be better.
turbotoad

Postby c0nsumer » September 20th, 2013, 9:42 pm

turbotoad wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:The other route (straight in instead of following north along the fence) is crappy trail and it sucks to ride.

Ride?! LOL. Yeah from the East edge of the RR track base up to where the actual RB trails are is basically unridable. I had to walk my bike through there. I would love to see someone clear that section riding their bike! At any rate, it IS an access point, but the other one that Steve mentioned might be better.

Except for the track crossing itself the other is completely ridable and puts you on to the official RB trails about 50' from the train tracks.

Someone with more skill than I can probably ride the tracks and clear the whole thing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jcrazyjj » September 20th, 2013, 10:08 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Someone with more skill than I can probably ride the tracks and clear the whole thing.

I rode the tracks for 10ft then got off and walked it. No thanks Hank.
jcrazyjj

Postby c0nsumer » September 20th, 2013, 10:50 pm

jcrazyjj wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Someone with more skill than I can probably ride the tracks and clear the whole thing.

I rode the tracks for 10ft then got off and walked it. No thanks Hank.

I was meaning up and over which would be more like two quick steps and a skinny. But I have ridden the tracks myself from one entrance to the other and I agree: not so keen.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jcrazyjj » September 20th, 2013, 11:03 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I was meaning up and over which would be more like two quick steps and a skinny. But I have ridden the tracks myself from one entrance to the other and I agree: not so keen.

Yeah, I'll pass on that too...
jcrazyjj

Postby dirt » September 21st, 2013, 5:07 am

jcrazyjj wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:I was meaning up and over which would be more like two quick steps and a skinny. But I have ridden the tracks myself from one entrance to the other and I agree: not so keen.

Yeah, I'll pass on that too...

I've done it before.. Just get some speed going, and keep your teeth together to hold the fillings in. :lol:
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby ilikenature » September 21st, 2013, 11:17 am

Any feedback on today's conditions?

Sent from my Razr HD using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby jer091 » September 21st, 2013, 11:29 am

Just trimmed the swamp section and it's very muddy again. Walked part of the trailhead and it's slightly muddy. Probably give it a few more hours for the yellow loop.
jer091

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments