CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby pharus » November 17th, 2010, 12:00 pm

c0nsumer wrote:A new auxiliary entrance has also been added to the single track for those who are heading north on the two track so that one doesn't have to descend a gravel hill and make a 100? left turn when riding laps.

That's great news, I hated trying to make that turn!
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » November 17th, 2010, 12:06 pm

pharus wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:A new auxiliary entrance has also been added to the single track for those who are heading north on the two track so that one doesn't have to descend a gravel hill and make a 100? left turn when riding laps.

That's great news, I hated trying to make that turn!

It's got a tree across it, but this morning I received confirmation from the township that they'll be removing it. It's a short, steeper downhill, but very easy to make and designed to ensure that one constrains their speed. It's soft because it's new trail, so please ride it and help it get packed down.

I also received permission to place temporary signage, so now I'm just waiting for the sign company to let me know that they are done so I can get them out there. They'll mark out a route through the regular and seasonal loops, then via the two track back to the start and will (hopefully) be in place until the permanent signage is installed.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » November 17th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Here's the temporary markers. Hopefully I'll get them placed by the weekend.

These should be (and hopefully will remain) in place until the permanent signage is fitted.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » November 18th, 2010, 6:30 am

A little slick out there in spots, mostly where it's loose. OTOH, perhaps a Small Block 8 wasn't the best tire choice. :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » November 18th, 2010, 9:39 am

utabintarbo wrote:A little slick out there in spots, mostly where it's loose. OTOH, perhaps a Small Block 8 wasn't the best tire choice. :P

It'd also rained the day before, and much of the trail is clay. ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » November 18th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Temporary trail signage is in place. This marks a one-way route from the parking lot through the single track. Signage ends with two labeled arrows pointing towards both the pavement and two-track so they can be used as return trails towards the parking lot or back to the start of the single track. This should be quite easy to follow. Signs are placed ~8' above the ground to curb casual vandalism, so keep an eye out for them. They are located at any place where I felt one could get confused as to which direction to go or if there was a choice to be made and signs towards and in the Seasonal Loops are marked as such. Please let me know if you see any deficiencies in the sign placement.

An updated map of the trails in River Bends with updated routing through the Seasonal Loops has been posted and can be found here: River_Bends_17-Nov-2010.pdf

Here's a few more examples of the temporary signage: 1 - 2
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Sortaslow » November 18th, 2010, 7:47 pm

It's lookin' good c0nsumer!
Sortaslow

Postby onlycrimson » November 18th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Wow, great work Steve! Those signs are actually better than most signs anywhere.
onlycrimson

Postby c0nsumer » November 18th, 2010, 11:29 pm

onlycrimson wrote:Wow, great work Steve! Those signs are actually better than most signs anywhere.

Thank you. We'll just have to see how they hold up. We're already starting to have a problem with dirt bikes. I hope that they are positioned well enough to not be an easy target for vandalism. That park doesn't seem to have much vandalism, though, and most of it is just writing on signs / benches / railings. Knock on wood there won't be anyone starting to smash things as has happened at Clinton River Park.

Also, while I hope they'll last a while, they are only the temporary signage. An Eagle Scout candidate is going to be building a kiosk and doing some of the signage as his Eagle Scout project.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby deskinsd87 » November 19th, 2010, 2:18 am

very cool, hopefully now I can do a lap without having to stop and check my phone for the map. I am so bad with directions lol
deskinsd87

Postby c0nsumer » November 19th, 2010, 9:44 am

deskinsd87 wrote:very cool, hopefully now I can do a lap without having to stop and check my phone for the map. I am so bad with directions lol

You should be able to. I'd still bring a printed one at first to mentally correlate the intersections with the places on the map, but after that I imagine you'd be all set.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » November 19th, 2010, 10:45 am

Oh, and just as a reminder, this signage and building of a trail like this is the exact sort of thing that your MMBA membership dollars help pay for.

Just on River Bends we directly spent ~$55 on temporary signage (Cook's Signs Plus gave us a great price on these), ~$40 on consumable marking supplies (paint, tape, etc) for laying out the trail, ~$75 on bagels and coffee, and ~$50 on BBQ stuff for our first trail day.

On top of this there's the shared costs of a brush trimmer, fuel, the trailer, hand tools, bottled beverages (purchased by the case and spread across trail days), etc.

To date we've also got 354 hours of unpaid volunteer time into the project as well.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » November 19th, 2010, 11:23 am

c0nsumer wrote:Oh, and just as a reminder, this signage and building of a trail like this is the exact sort of thing that your MMBA membership dollars help pay for.

Just on River Bends we directly spent ~$55 on temporary signage (Cook's Signs Plus gave us a great price on these), ~$40 on consumable marking supplies (paint, tape, etc) for laying out the trail, ~$75 on bagels and coffee, and ~$50 on BBQ stuff for our first trail day.

On top of this there's the shared costs of a brush trimmer, fuel, the trailer, hand tools, bottled beverages (purchased by the case and spread across trail days), etc.

To date we've also got 354 hours of unpaid volunteer time into the project as well.

Wait! We don't get paid?!? :shock: :evil:

:wink: :lol:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » November 19th, 2010, 11:59 am

c0nsumer wrote:Oh, and just as a reminder, this signage and building of a trail like this is the exact sort of thing that your MMBA membership dollars help pay for.

Oh! As Pete just reminded me I forgot the $200 for the bridge!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Trail_Warrior » November 19th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Wouldn't mind trying the new trail out before it starts snowing... a lot of good feedback and being that its close, even better :D
Trail_Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions