CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby 2slo2endo » August 19th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I'm still using the "secret" connector/ back entrance around the slaughterhouse..
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » August 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I forgot to ask - is that new section rideable yet?

And where does it start... I am guessing it is that little run off the paved trail that parallels the green trail, but continues on instead of exiting on the green trail... is that correct?
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » August 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I forgot to ask - is that new section rideable yet?

And where does it start... I am guessing it is that little run off the paved trail that parallels the green trail, but continues on instead of exiting on the green trail... is that correct?
2slo2endo

Postby c0nsumer » August 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

buckeyefan58 wrote:Is there any info/update on the connector from downtown Utica to River bends? The last I heard, the city was waiting on the railroad for some info on an underpass, but that was last year.

It was supposed to be started in June, but last we heard the answer was "November at the earliest".
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » August 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

2slo2endo wrote:I forgot to ask - is that new section rideable yet?

No, it's not. The map is going to be updated shortly and it'll become marked Seasonal.

2slo2endo wrote:And where does it start... I am guessing it is that little run off the paved trail that parallels the green trail, but continues on instead of exiting on the green trail... is that correct?

Err... I'm not following this. After you finish the Between The Trails Trail, turn right on the two track (green), go about 30', then immediately left on the pavement. Go about 500' then on your right it'll veer up on to the ridge and flow up and down. Much of it can be ridden, and you can take an exit out to the two track. If you go further it'll get sloppy. Feel free to take a look, but note that you've been warned.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » August 19th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Sorry for the double post..
That is what I was trying to describe sorry for the total lack of clarity!
2slo2endo

Postby Roy » August 20th, 2013, 12:20 pm

New Section:
I rode the new section backwards today. I planned on turning around if the mud got to deep. The mud did get bad near the start of the new section.
The mud was ridable if you gear down. Once past the first 100 feet of mud the rest is very ridable. This section should be ridden because it is starting to grow closed. There are a few deadfalls across the trail.
Seasonal Loupe:
At very south end of seasonal loupe is rideable, however there is a deadfall blocking the short climb out of the flood plain. I rode in backwards so I can't report on the flood plain section.
If you ride in backwards be sure to call out a warning on the blind turns.

The rest of the trail is in great shape. Just watch for sand in the corners.

Roy
Roy

Postby tripleskulls » August 26th, 2013, 12:32 am

The trail is dry all the way around. There are 2 trees down on the 3rd seasonal loop - the one farthest from the yellow trail that takes you down the hill - they are down on the way back up. There is also a tree down on the new "red" trail on that same seasonal loop. The flood plain section on the 1st seasonal loop is becoming a bit overgrown (the area on the floodplain that is leading up to the pipe/stream crossing). The pipe/stream crossing is missing the bridge that was put in last year (did it float away?) My crank hit the pipe as I failed riding over, the person riding with me almost went over his handlebars as he stopped... would have made a humorous video.
tripleskulls

Postby tripleskulls » August 26th, 2013, 12:41 am

Does anyone know how the Mill Race/Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal crosses the bike path... I think it is the stream running along the pipe... but I just can't figure where it goes under the Bike Path... the area next to the Canal is a raised ridge (I assume its what was dug out of the Canal 100 years ago), but it doesn't seem to go over a culvert or anything... the culvert under the railroad is basically dry so it must get diverted towards the river somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where that is. (Sorry, I'm and Engineer and it bothers me to not know - just not enough to plunge into the thickets to find out )
tripleskulls

Postby Roy » August 26th, 2013, 6:24 am

Look closer in the south end of the seasonal loop. There is a culvert that runs under the canal ridge. It is hard to see from the bike trail during the summer.
Bing overhead shows it pretty clear.

Roy
Roy

Postby ilikenature » September 1st, 2013, 11:21 am

Rode the yellow loop this morning and the trail was in surprisingly good shape. A little sticky, but overall a really enjoyable ride.

I'll tell you what though, I'm sick of getting rain-blocked every time I plan an outing.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by ilikenature on September 1st, 2013, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilikenature

Postby utabintarbo » September 1st, 2013, 11:50 am

ilikenature wrote:I'll tell you what though, I'm sick of getting rain-blocked every time I plan an outing.

Well, it is part of nature. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby madmike23 » September 4th, 2013, 8:12 am

How is Riverbends today?
madmike23

Postby jer091 » September 4th, 2013, 8:31 am

I don't know about today but last night the yellow loop was perfect ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
jer091

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2013, 8:39 am

If I hadn't had other plans last night I would have ridden there.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments