CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby NovaraAspen » October 13th, 2010, 7:45 am

c0nsumer wrote:
mr_opjones wrote:Finally got out for a ride thru the trail yesterday. Great job on the trail, fun fast flow. The trail is also in great shape right now so get out there and ride.

Thank you. :)

May I ask how bad the leaves are right now? I haven't been out there in a few days, and I suspect that by Sunday it'll be needing a leaf blowing to maintain definition.

I think you asked the wrong person... :wink:

mr_opjones wrote:Trails are meant to be walked and rode on, but not leaf blown.
NovaraAspen

Postby dirt » October 13th, 2010, 8:09 am

NovaraAspen wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
mr_opjones wrote:Finally got out for a ride thru the trail yesterday. Great job on the trail, fun fast flow. The trail is also in great shape right now so get out there and ride.

May I ask how bad the leaves are right now? I haven't been out there in a few days, and I suspect that by Sunday it'll be needing a leaf blowing to maintain definition.

I think you asked the wrong person... :wink:

mr_opjones wrote:Trails are meant to be walked and rode on, but not leaf blown.

Normally, I agree regarding leaving leafs on the trails. But, this trail is new, and not signed yet, so the intent is the blow off the trail so it's easier to follow, at least at this time.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby c0nsumer » October 13th, 2010, 8:35 am

dirt wrote:Normally, I agree regarding leaving leafs on the trails. But, this trail is new, and not signed yet, so the intent is the blow off the trail so it's easier to follow, at least at this time.

Also, I'm trying to encourage compaction of the newly-cut trail surface (particularly on the Phase II segment) before winter.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mr_opjones » October 13th, 2010, 11:38 am

If I didn't know the first half of the trail it would've been tuff to follow. I would concede to removing leaves this year because the trail tread is not worn in yet.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby kwings00 » October 13th, 2010, 11:43 am

mr_opjones wrote:If I didn't know the first half of the trail it would've been tuff to follow. I would concede to removing leaves this year because the trail tread is not worn in yet.

Absolutely. I was out there the other night and the leaf's are making it difficult to follow. Hmmm might find a way to attach my leaf blower... :D
kwings00

Postby c0nsumer » October 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm

I raked the single track this evening (non-seasonal loop), so it should now be much easier to follow. Trail is in great shape, and it's really beautiful out there right now with yellow leaves blanketing the hills.

The seasonal loop is coming along. As before it's all there, but very overgrown.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby pharus » October 22nd, 2010, 11:27 am

Rode last night, hitting all of the loops. The tail end loop on the seasonal section was pretty impassable at the end due to some downed trees and such. The little stream through the grassy meadow was a brisk river last night because of the rain. We should get a small bridge put in there.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » October 22nd, 2010, 11:38 am

pharus wrote:Rode last night, hitting all of the loops. The tail end loop on the seasonal section was pretty impassable at the end due to some downed trees and such. The little stream through the grassy meadow was a brisk river last night because of the rain. We should get a small bridge put in there.

That's the seasonal loop that the map still lists as generally too overgrown to ride. ;) That section is being slowly worked on, but as October/November are stupid-busy on the mountain biking calendar (and for me personally at work)

That said, we've already been thinking about a small bridge there. Even in the worst part of the spring that's only about 6' wide, and it has a very nice bank for making an approach. As this phase/loop gets completed we'll likely be working with the park to discuss / implement a small bridge here.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby PK » November 7th, 2010, 1:19 pm

The trail is Bone-dry right now. Very fast. Almost leaf-free so finding your way around is quite easy....
A couple corners were sightly loose due to some motorcycle traffic, otherwise, it's great.

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » November 8th, 2010, 9:44 pm

As Pete said, it's perfect out there right now. Leaves are either clear or broken down enough to make the entire route easily visible; exactly where we wanted it this time of the year. The seasonal loop is also in great shape, even though it's still not complete.

(For what it's worth, I am hoping to finish the seasonal loop off within the next 2.5 weeks. It just needs some minor brush clearing, line trimming, and corner adjustment to ensure that people are taking the right lines.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby deskinsd87 » November 10th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Hopefully the sinage goes up soon I had to keep stopping to check the map on my phone lol. That new paved area really threw me off.

I would really like to make it out to a trail day but you guys always have them when I am working.
deskinsd87

Postby PK » November 13th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Get out and ride it.
ALL of it. :wink:
Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » November 13th, 2010, 7:55 pm

PK wrote:Get out and ride it.
Pete.

Yep!

I must give a huge thanks to Pete (PK), Erik (bergsteiger), Joe (joeyjoejoe), and Bill (barroo). We got in roughly five hours (each) of trail work today and now the Seasonal Loops are fully open and rideable!

All of the overgrowth was thoroughly trimmed back, some previously fully overgrown and deadfall-filled sections were reopened, and proper intersections were established forming three loops that stack off of the original single track. These can be chained together to make a nice, twisty segment snaking through the floodplane and along both the Clinton River and the remains of the Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal.

Expect an updated map in a week or so once I've had a chance to walk the new route and establish a distance. Let me know if any of you are interested in a tour. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so I should have plenty of time to get up there.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby compengr » November 15th, 2010, 8:17 pm

PK wrote:Get out and ride it.
Pete.

Done and done. Got a chance to ride the whole thing today and chat with Steve a bit. You guys did a terrific job! This is really turning into a very nice trail system!
compengr

Postby c0nsumer » November 16th, 2010, 9:15 pm

compengr wrote:Done and done. Got a chance to ride the whole thing today and chat with Steve a bit. You guys did a terrific job! This is really turning into a very nice trail system!

Just so you all know, a slight revision to the map is coming along nicely, and I'm working on getting some temporary route signage in ASAP. (The long-term plan is for an Eagle Scout candidate to build and kiosk and handle some of the permanent signage for the trail.)

The Seasonal Loops are in place and wholly ridable for a total of 1.3 additional miles of single track. This brings us to 3.2 miles of single track (1.9 on high ground and 1.3 in the Seasonal Loops) and 1.7 miles of two track in a stacked loop configuration.

A new auxiliary entrance has also been added to the single track for those who are heading north on the two track so that one doesn't have to descend a gravel hill and make a 100? left turn when riding laps. This is currently blocked with large fallen tree, but that should be cut out soon. It is a short descent into the trail connecting just after the second uphill switchback at the start of the trail.

Oh, and that photo above is the intersection of Seasonal Loops #2 and #3 in the southernmost part of the trails, somewhat looking out over the Clinton River floodplain.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions