CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby pharus » September 12th, 2010, 5:00 pm

I tried to find the new section today, and I found some trail that extended off the end of the wide dirt path. This turned into a barely discernable trail that wound through some grassy fields, but eventually did tie back into the single track that follows the railroad track. Was I on the right track for the phase II?

There is also a small 4" tree down across the trail about .20 mile from the start of the phase I loop, but it is something that can be ridden over, so I left it there.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » September 12th, 2010, 6:30 pm

pharus wrote:I tried to find the new section today, and I found some trail that extended off the end of the wide dirt path. This turned into a barely discernable trail that wound through some grassy fields, but eventually did tie back into the single track that follows the railroad track. Was I on the right track for the phase II?

There is also a small 4" tree down across the trail about .20 mile from the start of the phase I loop, but it is something that can be ridden over, so I left it there.

What you found was a small bit of the 'existing' Phase II and probably most of what will be Phase III.

If you'd entered that bit and hung a left (and kept left) you'd see the existing parts of Phase II.

Let me know when you're heading out there next and I'll met up with you and show you around some more, if you'd like.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » September 18th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Everything that impeded on the Phase I single track has been cleared as of noon today. Heavy concentrations of leaves were removed, deadfall was cleared, and downed trees both on and overhanging the trail have been pulled back. A couple corners were widened / reshaped to provide better entrance into the turns.

Even with the falling rain the trail was solid as ever and looking good.

Work on the new segment of Phase II has begun.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby onlycrimson » September 20th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Rode through today and the new trail was in good shape. Looks like a couple spots might need a little bench cutting fixed, but otherwise it just needs more people riding on it. The old single track is also in decent shape.

Steve, if you're planning on riding out there one day, let me know, because I'm curious about the planned new phase.
onlycrimson

Postby c0nsumer » September 20th, 2010, 11:26 pm

onlycrimson wrote:Rode through today and the new trail was in good shape. Looks like a couple spots might need a little bench cutting fixed, but otherwise it just needs more people riding on it. The old single track is also in decent shape.

Steve, if you're planning on riding out there one day, let me know, because I'm curious about the planned new phase.

Ha, I was there about three hours ago after a handful of goes through the Clinton River Park stuff.

If you haven't seen it, check out the proposal here. The map shows Phase I which we did, and Phase II existing is completely ridable. The new part of Phase II is being worked on now, and Phase III will pretty much only require line trimming and some basic route cleanup.

I'm hoping to have it all sorted before the snow falls.

Oh, and I'm out there frequently. If you're planning to head there again, just send me some email or a text and I can probably just meet you there.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » September 25th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Phase II is coming along nicely. There's roughly 1000' left of the new segment to rough in, then we can bench cut and clean as needed and open it up. This next segment should be less twisty and more flowing, tying nicely in with the existing single track at the south end of the park and making for an excellent loop stacked off of the two track. It's visible in places when riding the two track (or at the very end of the single track) but not yet connected because it's not ready for riding.

I'll be planning a trail day soon, likely in two weeks. If things go according to plan we'll have a completely rideable Phase II after that, and it'll be time to get going on Phase III. This next phase (III) consists almost entirely of existing single track, so it'll mostly be trimming back overgrowth, cleaning up corners, and clearing deadfall to open that section.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » September 26th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Today Pete, Mark, and I almost finished breaking all new trail in Phase II. There's a few more segments to clean up and some downed trees that we'll need to ask the park to chainsaw out, but it's all coming along really well. Save for one short section (150' or so) the whole thing is easily findable.

Since we've now got the trail corridor established we'll be having a trail day on Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 to finish it off. (Rain date of October 3rd.) Please visit this thread for more info on the trail day.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » October 2nd, 2010, 1:45 pm

Phase II is now open! Thanks to the everyone who showed up today for a particularly wet (yet very productive) trail day we made quite a bit more progress, completing necessary bench cutting, and building a small bridge over a ravine (thanks for picking up the wood for this Pete!). 299 volunteer hours have gone into this trail thus far, and it wouldn't have been possible without everyone's help. Thank you!

Now, as Phase II is now open it's time to ride it in. While we ask that you wait for the trail to dry a bit (after Monday should be good), it needs plenty of traffic to compact into a proper trail. A map is currently being worked on which will help you find the trail, but until then just head down the gravel path from the parking lot, cross the pavement, and traverse a short piece of single track which connects the pavement to the two track. Follow the two track to the left down a hill, and then just as you start going up a hill the single track trail goes to the right.

A sign project for the River Bends trails is also under way, being worked on by a local Boy Scout doing his Eagle Scout project.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » October 3rd, 2010, 5:27 pm

Here's the first version of a map for the trails at River Bends. You can download a PDF of it by clicking the image above or here: River_Bends_03-Oct-2010.pdf.

It is suggested that you start in the parking lot, proceed down the Two Track, across the Asphalt, back to the Two Track, and on to the single track. Ride the single track in a counter-clockwise direction until you once again reach the two track.

The Seasonal Loop (indicated in Blue) is Phase III which both runs through flood plain and is not yet complete.

As of Sunday the trail is plenty dry and ridable. So, get out there and join the others who have been enjoying it!

(Updated with the 03-Oct-2010 version of the map.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » October 3rd, 2010, 11:35 pm

A group ride to show people around River Bends is happening this Thursday at 6:30pm. Check out this thread for more info.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby onlycrimson » October 4th, 2010, 9:55 pm

I had a spur of the moment ride today while I was headed to Stoney. The new single track is really nice. It opens up the trail nicely and feeds into the old track. I'm *beep* I missed the trail day! There was a tree down that was too large for me to move on the western side of the double track. It needs two guys or a saw.
onlycrimson

Postby c0nsumer » October 4th, 2010, 10:26 pm

onlycrimson wrote:I had a spur of the moment ride today while I was headed to Stoney. The new single track is really nice. It opens up the trail nicely and feeds into the old track. I'm *beep* I missed the trail day! There was a tree down that was too large for me to move on the western side of the double track. It needs two guys or a saw.

Thank you. I'm really happy with how it's coming out. There are still a few tweaks necessary, and it'll need a good raking once the leaves are falling, but I think it's a good mix.

I let the park know about the downed trees this morning, so I imagine they'll have someone out there to take care of them pretty soon. Hopefully by Thursday. ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby PK » October 6th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Saw a few locals riding the trail today. One said he has been riding out there for years and just noticed the new stuff today when he saw the new bridge.
It's quite a nice little beginner trail....

The conditions are perfect for the ride out there Thurday evening.
Enjoy.

Pete.
PK

Postby mr_opjones » October 13th, 2010, 7:20 am

Finally got out for a ride thru the trail yesterday. Great job on the trail, fun fast flow. The trail is also in great shape right now so get out there and ride.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » October 13th, 2010, 7:23 am

mr_opjones wrote:Finally got out for a ride thru the trail yesterday. Great job on the trail, fun fast flow. The trail is also in great shape right now so get out there and ride.

Thank you. :)

May I ask how bad the leaves are right now? I haven't been out there in a few days, and I suspect that by Sunday it'll be needing a leaf blowing to maintain definition.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions