CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby ilikenature » July 22nd, 2013, 1:08 pm

I, by no means, want a bad reputation around here. So please forgive my initial ignorance. I had just finished modifying/building my first quality bike this weekend and just wanted to get out. It was my first trail experience ever which is why I was unaware of trail courtesy/etiquette. I appreciate the tips and will definitely be taking them into consideration in the future. Hope to see some of you out there.

Sent from my Razr HD using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby c0nsumer » July 22nd, 2013, 1:15 pm

ilikenature wrote:I, by no means, want a bad reputation around here. So please forgive my initial ignorance. I had just finished modifying/building my first quality bike this weekend and just wanted to get out. It was my first trail experience ever which is why I was unaware of trail courtesy/etiquette. I appreciate the tips and will definitely be taking them into consideration in the future. Hope to see some of you out there.

No worries, we've all put in our time figuring out how things go. And welcome! This is also a good way to meet up with others to ride with. Just post a date/time and ask if anyone else wants to go, and odds are good you'll get one or two people to show up.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mack » July 22nd, 2013, 1:32 pm

ilikenature wrote:
Mack wrote:
ilikenature wrote:Well I went to Pontiac trail this morning and it was closed due to a medical emergency. I'm assuming someone bit it due to incredibly moist conditions. So I headed over to river bends and decided I was going to ride it regardless of conditions. Rode 14 miles total and traveled most of the trails. It....was....WET. I got soaked and absolutely covered in mud. I enjoyed myself though.

Thanks for telling us you have complete disregard for the trail conditions and the people who maintain them. As long
as you got your ride in, becsause that is all that really matters right.
FYI when you get "absolutely covered in mud" you shouldn't have been riding the trail.

I'm new to the sport and had no idea. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

My bad for coming down so hard on you, sorry bout that. I get a bit wacked when people ignore the signage
and just ride anyways. You obviously did not see the sign, im sure you would not have rode had you seen it.
Welcome to the asylum :wink:, this is awesome place any and evrything about MTBing can be had here. Have a
question just ask, you will get lots of help from really great people. Again sorry for ranting on you.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby lawn dart » July 22nd, 2013, 3:27 pm

ilikenature wrote:...I had just finished modifying/building my first quality bike this weekend and just wanted to get out.
Hope to see some of you out there.

nature,
Congrats on your build! There are a few of us with "fresh" bikes, so we understand your desire to get out there.

When things are looking wet-ish, Addison Oaks & Stony Creek have great trails that dry out quickly. They are often the first choice when someone has the "gotta ride" bug after a rain day.

We also really enjoy River Bends (and the Clinton River Park Trail), but generally give it plenty of time to dry out after any rainfall. If you liked it gooey, you're gonna LOVE it when it's dry!

Drop me a line if you want to ride; someone in our group is usually able to get away for a ride.
lawn dart

Postby ilikenature » July 22nd, 2013, 6:03 pm

All is well. Thanks for understanding guys. I live in Troy and was wondering what the best local options are. Thanks for the insight!

ilikenature

Postby 2slo2endo » July 25th, 2013, 8:23 am

Welcome from me too! And on that note, Any chance the yellow loop is rideable this evening? I gotta take my son's BMX bike in for repair, but would like to sneak in a ride...
2slo2endo

Postby c0nsumer » July 25th, 2013, 8:25 am

2slo2endo wrote:Welcome from me too! And on that note, Any chance the yellow loop is rideable this evening? I gotta take my son's BMX bike in for repair, but would like to sneak in a ride...

I'd give it a go. I suspect it'll be okay. I haven't been out there to say for sure, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jalopy jockey » July 25th, 2013, 10:58 am

ilikenature wrote:All is well. Thanks for understanding guys. I live in Troy and was wondering what the best local options are. Thanks for the insight!

Troy is a big city so options from northern troy would be different than southwern, as hopping on 696 opens up some of the more western trails that Motor City MBA maintains, but Riverbends, Stony and Bloomer are most likely your top 3 close trails. Clinton river park is great too but this summer it has been better suited for use by kayak than bike.

Of those 3 though Stony is the go to when it's been wet. The pines can stay wet for a while but the other sections are usually very rideable quickly.

Addison, and Pontiac lake are great trails in the area too, not far but not as close as the others I mention.

The full trail guide can be found here
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby 2slo2endo » July 25th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Addison is not too far either and can be combined with bald Mountain north for a great day...
Rode part of riverbends tonight.. a few muddy spots that need to be walked, a couple tree down near caution sign "valley"- one before and one after, neither one is hand sawable / someone is developing a shortcut into the switchbacks...and a serious rut has developed in the climb out of the caution valley... used it to practice climbing skills and kept trying to cross over the 6 inch deep & 6 inch wide rut... finally got stuck near the top :lol: pretty good series of mud pits in the rollers (where you can take the easier high path if desired)... did not ride the yellow trail we cut 2 summers ago or the new section, circled back and rode the old part again. Fun night! Oh yeah, and vegetation is growing under the drop...
Anyway, walk the mud, and enjoy!!!
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » July 25th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Addison is not too far either and can be combined with bald Mountain north for a great day...
Rode part of riverbends tonight.. a few muddy spots that need to be walked, a couple tree down near caution sign "valley"- one before and one after, neither one is hand sawable / someone is developing a shortcut into the switchbacks...and a serious rut has developed in the climb out of the caution valley... used it to practice climbing skills and kept trying to cross over the 6 inch deep & 6 inch wide rut... finally got stuck near the top :lol: pretty good series of mud pits in the rollers (where you can take the easier high path if desired)... did not ride the yellow trail we cut 2 summers ago or the new section, circled back and rode the old part again. Fun night! Oh yeah, and vegetation is growing under the drop...
Anyway, walk the mud, and enjoy!!!
2slo2endo

Postby drmoorejr » July 29th, 2013, 11:04 am

Are the conditions out there improved. Has anyone ridden this trail in the last 2 days?
--

Live Free or Die.
drmoorejr

Postby Meeson01 » July 29th, 2013, 12:11 pm

I rode two laps yesterday... It was much like Hooters.."delightfully tacky, yet unrefined" I plan on heading out again this afternoon but do not know how last nights rain affected the trail.. There are a few spots that were a tad wet in the usual muddy locations but it was thick enough in most spots that it was beginning to pack down.i would recommend staying off the drag strip as well as the drop.. There were also a few trees down that the park should be taking care of but had not as of yesterday afternoon. Other than that most of yhe trail was perfectly tacky and quick...I will b out there around 3-4 today to do a few laps and will report back..
Meeson01

Postby jer091 » July 29th, 2013, 6:37 pm

~~**Official Trail Report 29 July 2013**~~

After this evenings recon / lopper loop here are the current conditions.

Yellow loop from trail head to "drag strip" in prime condition. 1 tree down after the large washed out downhill and just before the concrete armoring

Drag strip has 3 large hillside seeps that will eat all momentum, best use upper bypass for a few more days but this section has 1 tree down.

From drag strip to start of blue loop very good conditions.

Flood plain Blue loops has been abandoned from the start to the Edison Corridor climb due to unsustainable location.

The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal segment of the blue loop is good.

"Between the trails" trail is drying out and completely ridable.

Rumors that "Nessie" has awoken from her aquatic slumber are founded as seen in the pic below. The 1/4 mile leading up to Nessie what was a muddy mess is drying out and needs traffic to pack the pizza cutters back down. Very fat bike friendly. Mud is not wet and very little sticks to the tires.

The new return trail built late last year is still unrideable.

Township has been notified about downed trees.

Get out and ride River Bends!
jer091

Postby drmoorejr » July 29th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reports (which are very accurate).... This was my first tie on that trail... very cool... very fast trail.
--

Live Free or Die.
drmoorejr

Postby c0nsumer » July 31st, 2013, 8:37 am

As jer091 says above, the newest piece of trail is definitely unridable. I tried it on the fatbike last night and kept sinking in. Everything else is ridable, even though a few parts are soft.

(The new section is like 4" of soft Play-Doh trail surface, with enough mosquitoes that when turning back I was inhaling them through my nose and getting them stuck in my sinuses. Uggh.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments