CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby c0nsumer » August 27th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:I finally got a chance to ride the singletrack today. Nice stuff once I found it. And I think there is now a trail with more off camber than LOHS :D I ventured out on some of the other trails I found including one that headed back along the power lines. Is that part of park property and in scope for future trail?

It'll be signed eventually, likely after the next segment. The signage and kiosk are both being done as an Eagle Scout project.

The stuff you rode under the power lines is what will become the larger of the two magenta loops seen in the proposal here, as part of Phase 3. If you were down in a low-laying grass-covered area, this is the periodically-flooded stuff. With it being wet and not fun to ride for a few months out of the year (and after big storms) it's being put in as a stand-alone loop.

Oh, and I'm thinking that it might all have some potential for another local winter-time race. ;) It was already a great winter-time ride before any new single track was built. I imagine it'll be even better once it's all connected into a system.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » August 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Tree is cleared (nice gap cut in it), and it's almost getting a bit dusty out there. Still, it's the perfect place for an evening ride from home.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » August 31st, 2010, 8:27 pm

The Phase 2 existing single track has been cleared so that it's now as passable as Bald Mountain's Conklin Road connector. I ran out of daylight, so more trimming will have to happen another day. These parts of this trail have very large autumn olive growths directly a few feet from the edge of the existing trail requiring that half the plant be cut back at the base and large pieces of brush cleared away.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby PK » August 31st, 2010, 8:33 pm

These parts of this trail have very large autumn olive growths directly a few feet from the edge of the existing trail requiring that half the plant be cut back at the base and large pieces of brush cleared away.

Or cut the whole thing and yank the stump....
But you're right, trimming a few branches is just a waste of time.

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » August 31st, 2010, 8:40 pm

PK wrote:
These parts of this trail have very large autumn olive growths directly a few feet from the edge of the existing trail requiring that half the plant be cut back at the base and large pieces of brush cleared away.

Or cut the whole thing and yank the stump....
But you're right, trimming a few branches is just a waste of time.

Pete.

This stuff is generally located part-way down the embankment to the canal and is so old that the main stump part is 6-10" in diameter. It was a lot easier to just lop off everything on the trail side, and it'll keep the nice wall-of-brush look.

It could probably use another six man-hours to get that segment sorted, and someone to lever up a log while I finish sawing through it, but that segment is getting nicely sorted. The new stuff will mostly be a rake/trim and ride, except for one segment of super-dense brush.

Hmm. Maybe Friday evening would be a good day for more work out there.

Phase 3 will be mostly line trimmer and clearing deadfall.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » September 3rd, 2010, 9:47 pm

Tonight Lan, Shari, Pete, Danielle, and I headed out and finished up the trimming of the existing part of Phase 2. This can be seen as the solid red line here in the proposal. It's now nicely rideable and accessible from the two track.

Next up: Sorting out the new part of Phase 2. Now, if only people would stop removing my tape flags and stuffing them under logs. Good thing the route is memorable, mapped, and easy to spot.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Roughly one third of the new part of Phase 2 has been mostly-cleared of deadfall and raked. It'll need more work before it's rideable, but things are definitely under way.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby E-Man » September 5th, 2010, 11:04 pm

large branch covering the end of the single track at the logs. I cleared enough of it to get through by using the bypass.
E-Man

Postby c0nsumer » September 5th, 2010, 11:34 pm

E-Man wrote:large branch covering the end of the single track at the logs. I cleared enough of it to get through by using the bypass.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I kinda saw it last night, but it was post-sunset and I was without flashlight (walking back from some raking) so I couldn't make out how bad it was.

Do you think it's removable by hand or with a hand saw?
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby E-Man » September 6th, 2010, 9:32 am

I think a handsaw will do it. I tried to pull it down by hand but the branch is hung up a bit in some other branches.
E-Man

Postby c0nsumer » September 6th, 2010, 9:42 am

E-Man wrote:I think a handsaw will do it. I tried to pull it down by hand but the branch is hung up a bit in some other branches.

Excellent, thanks. I'll try and get it sorted out early this week, otherwise I'll ask the park to chainsaw it out.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby kwings00 » September 6th, 2010, 3:44 pm

E-Man wrote:large branch covering the end of the single track at the logs. I cleared enough of it to get through by using the bypass.

That's the end of the trail? Whoops, I thought it was the beginning...besides that tree down, there's another before that "lookout-deer blind-hideout". Speaking of the lookout booth, there is a tree down along that portion of the trail & in the tree is a bee's nest. Probably not the best place to take a break...
kwings00

Postby c0nsumer » September 6th, 2010, 4:04 pm

kwings00 wrote:

That's the end of the trail? Whoops, I thought it was the beginning...besides that tree down, there's another before that "lookout-deer blind-hideout". Speaking of the lookout booth, there is a tree down along that portion of the trail & in the tree is a bee's nest. Probably not the best place to take a break...

Yep, that's the end, but signs aren't yet in place. That connection to the two track will also be made less prominant once the next segment goes in, as it'll continue along the ridge from there.

Which downed tree has the nest? Is it the really large one that had a gap in it, or another?
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby kwings00 » September 8th, 2010, 11:46 am

c0nsumer wrote:
kwings00 wrote:

Yep, that's the end, but signs aren't yet in place. That connection to the two track will also be made less prominant once the next segment goes in, as it'll continue along the ridge from there.

Which downed tree has the nest? Is it the really large one that had a gap in it, or another?

I think it was the one with the large gap. I didn't stay around long enough to make friends... :D
kwings00

Postby c0nsumer » September 9th, 2010, 11:10 pm

The two large downed trees are now moved / removed and the trail is now completely ridable. There's still a little low-hanging stuff left over from the recent winds that has to be cleared out, hopefully this will happen over the weekend.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions