CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby lilredrover » July 12th, 2010, 8:20 pm

I'm so glad we finally have a trail even closer to home (for me) :D

I finally took a ride through our 1.2 miles of new trail Saturday night. Man, talk about a tight trail, with lots of turns :twisted:

This is definitely more of a 26" friendly trail lol
lilredrover

Postby c0nsumer » July 12th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I just got back from River Bends, and I'm quite sure we've got a very usable (and in some parts very beautiful, especially around sunset) area to route the next part of the trail.

Even with the downpour last night the current single track is looking really good, just a bit tacky and firm. It's actually in better shape than the two track, which seems to pool water in a few spots. There was a bit of deadfall, but nothing that couldn't be tossed off of the trail.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby fizgig » July 12th, 2010, 9:41 pm

the two track was a river during the rain, it's meniscus shaped, no wonder they need all that pea gravel, you'd think they'dve laid it at a proper grade to shed water.
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby c0nsumer » July 12th, 2010, 10:36 pm

fizgig wrote:the two track was a river during the rain, it's meniscus shaped, no wonder they need all that pea gravel, you'd think they'dve laid it at a proper grade to shed water.

Actually, the pea gravel was only laid down on that first segment after the construction equipment for the recently installed paving rutted it up. The ruts were actually better than the pea gravel, and likely would have mostly sorted themselves out with the spring thaw. Prior to that the bit of entrance trail there was just like the rest of the two track.

(Before November or so of last year River Bends was actually just a 5K loop of flat, fast two track with a couple fun hills. Now it's part of the forthcoming route between Stony Creek and Metro Beach.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » July 14th, 2010, 4:00 pm

I rode the new trail for the first time. All that hard work was worth the effort. This trail will teach you how to ride. Now we need 4 more miles. If you have not been to River Bends Park, go ride it.
I also rode the old bandit trail almost into Utica. It ends where the river and train track meet.
Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » July 14th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Roy wrote:I rode the new trail for the first time. All that hard work was worth the effort. This trail will teach you how to ride. Now we need 4 more miles. If you have not been to River Bends Park, go ride it.
I also rode the old bandit trail almost into Utica. It ends where the river and train track meet.
Roy

Actually, you are in Utica's property at that point. You can also make a rather nice loop if you know where to head down into the floodplane, but it's (unfortunately) not something we can permanantly route since it'd be under water for 4 months a year and squishy for few days every time it rains. That old hand-dug clay makes for a really nice ridge to ride along, though.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Roy » July 14th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Flood plane, what stinking flood plane?
I heard that the gravel we laid on the Dodge Park trail was 1 foot under water after the last heavy rain.
Now that is a stinking flood plane.
Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » July 14th, 2010, 9:41 pm

The one at the bottom of the hill we were working on. You should see it in the spring. It's easily mistaken for a river.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » July 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Trail's in great shape. The large downed branch was removed from the end of the trail where it blocked both the log pile and bypass. I also got started on marking the next route, so hopefully we'll have something else to work on (and ride) soon. Yay!
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Gear_Tooth » July 18th, 2010, 11:12 am

I checked out the new trail last night and I really enjoyed it.
I really like the switchback sections, and how it uses the hill side to its advantage.
I did the trail twice and the second time it went really fast.
Also when biking along the two track that makes the loop in the park I ran into 3 people riding dirt bikes.
Should the park be notified of that.
If the misquotes are biting your not riding fast enough.
Gear_Tooth

Postby c0nsumer » July 18th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Gear_Tooth wrote:I checked out the new trail last night and I really enjoyed it.
I really like the switchback sections, and how it uses the hill side to its advantage.
I did the trail twice and the second time it went really fast.
Also when biking along the two track that makes the loop in the park I ran into 3 people riding dirt bikes.
Should the park be notified of that.

I'm glad to hear you liked it. Hopefully we'll have some more out there soon, including a bit more more flow-y stuff to contrast the twisty bits.

I was out there today, noticed the dirt bike tracks all over the place, and I've let the park know.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » August 20th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Only one tree down on the single track at River Bends. It's about 16" diameter and located perpendicular to the trail immediately after the point where one passes behind the bench and wildlife viewing blind. It's a completely safe/easy place for it and the park has been notified. Everything else on the trail was small twig-type deadfall which was just tossed or kicked off the trail.

In other news, the proposal for phases two and three of the trail, which reuse a bunch of existing trail connecting it all together to form a couple more stacked loops and an optional route down through often-flooded low-laying areas, has been approved by the township. As time permits we will organize a trail day to work on the new segment of trail, and hopefully some evening work to trim back the overgrown existing trails.

If you'd like to see the proposal it can be found here.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby pharus » August 23rd, 2010, 6:38 am

I like the plan. Are the low-laying areas too vast to put in boardwalks to make it more usable full time? If not, I would suggest a sign by the first wet spot that says - "if you can't get through this section, it doesn't get any better, turn around and go back on the Red trail"
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » August 23rd, 2010, 7:55 am

pharus wrote:I like the plan. Are the low-laying areas too vast to put in boardwalks to make it more usable full time? If not, I would suggest a sign by the first wet spot that says - "if you can't get through this section, it doesn't get any better, turn around and go back on the Red trail"

Yep, it is definitely too long. Also, as far as I'm aware the low-laying area is an access route for sanitary sewer maintenance vehicles, so a boardwalk would be in their way. Also, the wet stuff is only about half of Phase 3, with rest being on a narrow ridge that is part of the tailings / ridge along the Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal. (This also means that the soil we'll be riding on there has had almost 200 years to compact, which helps why it's as durable as it is.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 27th, 2010, 5:44 pm

I finally got a chance to ride the singletrack today. Nice stuff once I found it. And I think there is now a trail with more off camber than LOHS :D I ventured out on some of the other trails I found including one that headed back along the power lines. Is that part of park property and in scope for future trail?
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions