CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby blacksword » May 13th, 2010, 12:24 pm

This topic is to discuss Shelby Township's River Bends Park.

The Metro North Chapter of the MMBA is currently working with Shelby Township to expand the multi-use trail system in the park to include a new single track trail.

Steve Vigneau / c0nsumer is currently the MMBA Trail Coordinator for the River Bends trail.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Re: Metro North: Riverbends

Postby CCB » May 13th, 2010, 1:12 pm

riverbends sucks now that they paved all that area in the back. there used to be a few miles of track, now its about half that. was nice when i didnt have time to go to stoney, i'd just ride the few miles to riverbends, do the track a couple times, then head home.

are there any plans to put in trails there? there is def space for it.
CCB

Re: Metro North: Riverbends

Postby c0nsumer » May 13th, 2010, 1:27 pm

CCB wrote:riverbends sucks now that they paved all that area in the back. there used to be a few miles of track, now its about half that. was nice when i didnt have time to go to stoney, i'd just ride the few miles to riverbends, do the track a couple times, then head home.

are there any plans to put in trails there? there is def space for it.

That paved section is going to be a major part of the connector between Stony Creek, Metro Beach, and the other local trails.

As part of that the MMBA (and me in particular) are working with the township to establish single track trail along the west side of the existing two-track loop. We've been given permission to begin flagging a route for the trails, then after that proposed route is approved (by the township) I'll be setting up a trail day to begin actually cutting trail.

So, yes, we're going to have River Bends single track coming off of the two-track.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Re: Metro North: River Bends

Postby CCB » May 13th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Did not know there would be a paved connector all the way to Stoney. What's the timing on that project?

If you need any help with Riverbends, let me know. I live right down the street.
CCB

Postby c0nsumer » May 13th, 2010, 4:15 pm

CCB wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the info. Did not know there would be a paved connector all the way to Stoney. What's the timing on that project?

You'd have to talk with the township, but I'm pretty certain it's just soon. I guess the current thought is that, where the pavement ends, a bridge will be built off to the left, through the school grounds, and over to the road. Then the path will connect into the tunnel under M-59, over through that park, then under VanDyke along the existing bridge to Clinton River Park. Don't quote me on that, though, since I don't know if it's final.

If you need any help with Riverbends, let me know. I live right down the street.

Definitely; thank you. I live right at 22 and Schoenherr, so I'm up there quite frequently myself. We'll definitely put out word when the trail day will be happening there. Now, if only the rain would stop so we could flag the trail...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby i69whitey » May 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm

c0nsumer wrote: Then the path will connect into the tunnel under M-59, over through that park, then under VanDyke along the existing bridge to Clinton River Park. Don't quote me on that, though, since I don't know if it's final.

there already is a paved path under van dyke,
it's just under those 4 feet of fresh silt that the river drug in.

and what i understand is there is already funding out for a bridge over the river on the west side of VD,
in that other park that is probably 4 feet under now.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby jcrazyjj » May 13th, 2010, 9:22 pm

yeah. like i said too c0nsumer. im right at 23 and shelby. gimme notice and ill be there in about 2min.
jcrazyjj

Postby bbenoit1984 » May 14th, 2010, 9:42 am

I’m at 23 and Shelby most of the week so this would be a great trail to ride over to for a quick ride.. When you have some trail work to be done just post it up and I’ll be there.
bbenoit1984

Postby c0nsumer » May 14th, 2010, 9:49 am

As the proposal for River Bends has been accepted by Shelby Township I uploaded it to the MMBA Library.

The direct link to the proposal is here: MMBA River Bends Trail Proposal.pdf.

Enjoy!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby E-Man » May 14th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Does an accepted proposal mean this project is a go? If so an estimate to start cutting time?
E-Man

Postby c0nsumer » May 14th, 2010, 5:07 pm

E-Man wrote:Does an accepted proposal mean this project is a go? If so an estimate to start cutting time?

Yes, the project is a go. I have to mark (flag) the initial trail route, meet with the township and park people to get their approval of the route, and then it'll be time to call a trail day.

I'm estimating ~3 weeks on flagging, due to weather, race, personal, and work commitments. Beyond that I don't want to put a timeline on it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby bbenoit1984 » May 15th, 2010, 12:34 am

Very Nice! Good work Steve, I can't wait to help with this project
bbenoit1984

Postby c0nsumer » May 18th, 2010, 8:52 pm

One can find some neat things out in the woods while tying plastic tape around trees...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » May 18th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Mmmm, spores, molds, and fungus! :D
utabintarbo

Postby Roy » May 19th, 2010, 7:59 am

So, are you talking about a 3 mile trail or some kind of loupe? Is there enough high ground to get a 6 mile loupe trail?

Roy
Roy

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments