Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » October 11th, 2014, 7:22 am

I got word yesterday afternoon from the RHP Supervisor that both trees had been cleared. Actually, I asked them to cut out only half of the large log at the end of the single track so we would make it into a log pile. If you are riding at RHP this weekend, please post here what was done with the trees.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 11th, 2014, 1:50 pm

They are both cleared. This is what's left of the big one at the exit of the singletrack:
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » October 11th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the update, Chris.

I flagged a path this afternoon from the Wiard's entrance inside the paved path to the East in a serpentine path around some of the trees in this area until it reaches the paved path again on the East border. There are a lot of sandy areas in the northern section which I tried to avoid with the path I chose. Then the flagged path crosses back outside the paved path and runs South on the East park border along the corn field (apparently there is an old farm road under the surface here so it will hold up well to the bikes) until it reaches the pine trees. After winding through the pine trees, the flagged route crosses the paved path back to the inside and then sweeps West following the E-W section of park road where it ends at the pedestrian crossing (for now).

I am planning to get a mower on Friday and set up a trail day Saturday this coming week to work on this section and do a fall clean up on the west meadows.

BTW, I'm still looking to run a track through the N-S and then E-W tree lines along the soccer fields and then back to the kettle pond in the west meadow. But, I don't think I'll have time to arrange that this fall as I'm traveling a lot for work in November.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » October 11th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Announcing Sixth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/6th-annual-potowatami-mba-black-friday-mtb-ride-tickets-13493899617

Come out to the Sixth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/28 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is a great chance for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 14 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 6.2+ miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest which is great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 6+ miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve your bike handling skills. That is especially true for the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP where there are beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds. And, if you haven't riden RHP in the past 6 months, the north meadow loop of ~1.5 miles was started this spring and should be completed in time for this event.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about 12:30 PM. Please register in advance at Event Brite to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/29 at 10 AM. Look for changes in schedule on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website, the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list, the Poto MBA Facebook page or Poto MBA Twitter account.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot: enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavilion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will be a gate charge to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » October 14th, 2014, 7:41 am

Trail Building and Maintenance Day at RHP on Saturday 10/18 from 9 AM to 1 PM

There will be trail day at Rolling Hills Park in Ypsilanti Township on Saturday 10/18 from 9 AM to 1 PM. As I posted earlier, the Black Friday Ride is coming up in about a month. So I would like to complete some sections of new trail at RHP as well as do fall clean up and maintenance on the current trail.

I have rented a brush mower to clear ~0.75 miles of new trail (almost all grass) in the north meadows starting at the Wiard's entrance. We will also work on new N-S and E-W treeline sections around the soccer fields that will route the trail back to the kettle pond in the west meadows. We also need to mow and trim back the face/arm slappers on the west meadow and previously completed north meadow sections. If there is a large enough crew, a small team will be assigned to trim parts of Mile 2 from the "crater" to the rear/Bemis Road walk-in gate.

I'll have loppers, one McLoed, one Pulaski, a push mower, a Stihl gas hedge trimmer and the brush mower. If you have a push mower or good weed wacker (preferrably with blades, not string), please bring it as there are a couple of areas with light grass/brush that can get trimmed with that equipment. And bring your McLoed or Pulaski to clean the new treeline sections.

Let's plan to meet at the "soccer field" parking lot at 9 AM which is on the north loop of the park road (take first right at the entrance circle and follow the road ~0.5 miles to the second parking lot on the left...first lot is the water park). Be sure to wear good shoes, long pants and long sleeves to protect against the sun, thorns and poison ivy. Also, if there is someone at the park gatehouse, tell them you are entering the park for MTB trail work and they should let you enter without paying the fee.

I will also be working at RHP with the brush mower on Friday 10/17 from 9ish to whenever I run out of energy. If you are free on Friday, feel free to come help out.

Please let me know if you will be able to attend on either day.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby parttime » October 14th, 2014, 10:47 am

Has the monster log pile on the west fence line been shortened (in height) recently, or did it just not live up to my expectation today?
parttime

Postby michael48197 » October 17th, 2014, 5:20 am

Parttime,
That log pile is just getting old. It's degrading and settling into the ground because there is quite a lot of water flow under it after significant rains.

Reminder:
I will be working at RHP in the north meadows today after picking up the mower this morning... probably arrive around 9:30 AM. And there is a trail day tomorrow from 9 AM to 1 PM. Hope to see you there.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » October 20th, 2014, 10:45 am

Despite a poor turn out, we accomplished quite a lot on the work day this Saturday 10/18. It's disappointing to see that nearly 100 people read the work day notices on the Potowatomi and Volunteers Needed forums (and more on this forum I'm sure), but only G.Cook and ChrisInYpsi showed up. Kudos to them.

I spent about 3 hours on Friday mowing the remainder of the north meadow loop from the Wiard's entrance to RHP, through a serpintine path along the northern edge of RHP, south along the east border and then west to the pedestrian crossing along the park road which adds about 0.5 miles of new meadow trail. The brush mower doesn't cut the grass particularly short so it needs to be "buzz cut" with a push mower, but we didn't have time to complete doing so. If someone wants to volunteer, let me know and you can borrow the push mower.

On Saturday, we also cleared a 100 yard N-S treeline section on the opposite side of the road from the pedestrian crossing along the east edge of the soccer fields. The intention will be to cut additional trail in the 1/4-mile E-W section just south of the soccer fields. For now, just exit the treeline east of the soccer fields and turn right (west) and follow the paved path back to the kettle pond in the west meadows. In addition, we also used the brush mower and Stihl trimmer to clean up the entire west meadow section and mow the "old" part of the north meadow loop that we cleared earlier this year. In total, nearly 3 miles of trail was cleared or newly built this weekend with just three people. Imagine what might happen with a decent crew of 5-7 workers !!!

So, the north loop is officially open for riding. It still needs some mowing, but ride it nonetheless. I'm sure it is quite bumpy, but that should smooth out soon enough especially in the wetter fall weather. As you will see, the last 200-yard section of the north meadow loop (after crossing the construction access road from the north park entrance) is PARTICULARLY BUMPY with old farm furrows. We will definitely have to get in that area with a small front-end loader or Ditch Witch to smooth it out, but that is not likely to happen until spring time. You might want to avoid that last part by jogging left onto the paved path and head west to the pedestrian crossing.

If anyone has time and energy, there are some parts of Mile 1 and Mile 2 that need attention. The short climb immediately after the wooden bridge at ~0.75 miles and the climb up to and then around the crater at 1.0 miles are a bit overgrown. More importantly, the bluff over looking the pond at ~1.4 miles is quite overgrown. There are a lot of face and arm slappers and some of the sight lines are quite obscured. This area definitely needs a clean up before the Black Friday Ride. Any volunteers? John Galt can you take care of it? Let me know if you need to borrow the Stihl trimmer.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby john_galt » October 20th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Sorry, I'm unable to help out. I just got back from Japan and was there since the beginning of September. Lots going on at home and work.
john_galt

Postby ccoffey » October 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm

Oh man! I didn't see the work day posted. I was out there Sunday and it looked GREAT!!!! Nice work guys!
ccoffey

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 26th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Here is the current trail with the newest section from Wiards back to the kettle pond:
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/27/anu3aped.jpg[/img]

Riding through the newly cut meadow is slow going and quite bumpy. Sure would be nice if we could get some sort of machine to get the grass off the trail tread. (Hint, hint...)

Also, still looking for help with trimming the section from the crater through the bluff (or to the back gate if you have enough time). Speak up if you're able and willing to help.

Michael, the park mowed the XC ski trails back in the little meadow near the exit of the mounds. If you and the park approve, we should seize the opportunity to ride that loop in as singletrack.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby mpaquette70 » October 27th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Rode the main loop this evening as well as the newest section from Wiards. :shock: That new section sure needs a lot more riders to pack it down. It will be a nice addition when it's well worn in. Keep riding it even though it's a tough go at times.

Hopefully I can participate in some of the future trail building and maintenance days since I love riding this trail and live close to it.
mpaquette70

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 2nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Removed the downed tree by the Bemis connector cutoff.

There is a tree down by "hole" 9 in the disc golf course. It's hung up in other trees and about 4' off the ground.

Michael, can you ask that the park remove that one?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 14th, 2014, 8:41 pm

REMINDER: Please sign up in advance for the event. It's only two weeks away and only a few have preregistered so far.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Announcing Sixth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/6th-annual-potowatami-mba-black-friday-mtb-ride-tickets-13493899617

Come out to the Sixth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/28 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is a great chance for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 14 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 6.2+ miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest which is great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 6+ miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve your bike handling skills. That is especially true for the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP where there are beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds. And, if you haven't riden RHP in the past 6 months, the north meadow loop of ~1.5 miles was started this spring and should be completed in time for this event.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about 12:30 PM. Please register in advance at Event Brite to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/29 at 10 AM. Look for changes in schedule on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website, the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list, the Poto MBA Facebook page or Poto MBA Twitter account.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot: enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavilion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will be a gate charge to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 15th, 2014, 5:41 pm

After the fence entrance I found a busted trail marker laying on the trail. Stopped, picked it up and was able to push the remaining "post" back into the ground solid. Put in in front of the tree on the right side, I figure if someone runs it over again, it will be a painful experience.
Steve_Balogh

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments