Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby jmf003 » April 6th, 2014, 9:38 am

michael48197 wrote:?.. Can anyone with a trailer hitch commit to helping pick up a brush hog for the mowing next Saturday? Having a trailer too would help, but we can always rent a trailer....

I've got a full size SUV and would be glad to help.

I also have a buddy with a fair sized flat bed trailer and will ask if he's okay with me borrowing it.
jmf003

Postby michael48197 » April 6th, 2014, 9:41 am

Great!!! Send me a PM with your contact info and we can work out how/when to get the mower.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » April 6th, 2014, 3:54 pm

A couple of people have offered to help get a mower next week. So, unless there is a rain out, we will certainly have a trail day next Saturday 4/12. Look for more details in a day or two when I arrange to rent the equipment.

I took a ride around the grass lanes at RHP today to recon the single track. It doesn't look like there has been any MTB traffic on the single track except for a fat bike or two which didn't leave any pizza cutters. The snow/ice is almost completely gone except for 2-3 small sections. Amazingly, even the historically wet section on the west fence line looked fairly dry. With a weather forecast near 60 F all week with minimal rain, I'm sure all the snow/ice will be gone in a week. I expect the RHP single track should be ready to ride in 10 days to two weeks.

I also rode around the small west meadow which was newly mowed for XC skiing this fall. I plan to co-opt this loop into another 1/4 mile of trail. However, it is extremely bumpy. So, I've changed my mind about the rototiller. We will rent one along with the brush mower. We can till up this small west meadow as well as the new trail after it's mowed.

So, next week be ready for some raking, tamping, mowing and lopping.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 6th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Rode the RHP paved trails after my normal dirt road route. I agree that the single track is very close to being ready.

Per our chat this afternoon, I also rode thru the little West meadow and I definitely think that we should incorporate that section. Will be a nice little loop to add some mileage.

Sorry once again that I couldn't rearrange my schedule at the last minute for yesterday's trail day, but I've cleared it with the social director of the family for me to help out next Sat.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » April 7th, 2014, 9:08 pm

It's official now that I have booked the equipment...work day at RHP, Saturday, April 12, 9 AM to 1 PM.

Please come out to help with the 1.7 mile trail extension at Rolling Hills Park this weekend. We will continue to clear the marked trail section up to Wiard's on Merritt Road, mow with the brush hog and push mower and rototill/rake/tamp where necessary. We will also rototill, rake and tamp down a perimeter trail in the small west meadow and do a winter clean up of the whole trail. If time allows, we will start clearing the N-S and E-W tree line sections at the end of the loop returning to the west meadow kettle pond.

Instead of the traditional trail head parking lot, let's plan to meet in the "soccer field" lot in the middle of the northern side of the park road at 9 AM. The weather is forecast to be good. Please bring work gloves & sturdy shoes, wear long pants to protect from thorns and any good work tools that you might have (lopper, metal garden rake, shovel,...). If anyone is attending the front gate, let them know that you are entering to work on the MTB trail and they should let you in without charge. Let me know if you can make it. If enough people commit in advance, I'll arrange some pizza or something for lunch.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » April 8th, 2014, 7:27 pm

RHP management has scheduled spring burns to clear undergrowth this week.

* north portion of Sassafrass Woods (RH-2 on the map, the start section of the MTB trail)
* Underwood prairie (RH-3 on the map, the start and end of the west meadow around the kettle pond)
* the wooded south edge of the Walnut Prairie (RH-1 on the map)

There doesn't appear to be any conflict for our work day on Saturday.

BTW, there are worms about for the first time this week. That usually means that the permafrost is melted out. So, after our trail clean up this weekend, we should probably be able to open the trail to riding.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 10th, 2014, 10:25 am

My daughter and I hiked everything except the Munger loop. We cleared all the deadfall and general winter detritus from the singletrack so that we don't need to spend time doing that section on Sat. I'll try to get back in the next day or two to clear the Munger mound/meadow section as well. That way we can devote all our efforts on Sat to breaking new trail.

By the way, should we log our working hours on the Poto website like we did at the end of last year?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » April 10th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Thanks for the work, Chris. Yes, log your time (and your daughter's) on the Poto website like last year.

Road a loop at Rolling Hills today. With the warm weather and all the wind, Rolling Hills is in great shape. I officially declare it open for riding. There's one very small pile of snow in the first section before the drainage culvert that will be gone in a day or so. And then the section headed to the back gate is a little soft but rideable. And there's a little standing water after the climb out of the kennel pond. Just ride through it. Other than that it's amazingly dry. A lot of small loose debris and leaves which makes bike handling a little squirrley. Enjoy.

I got approval today from Steve Wyatt, the park manager, for the remainder of the northern loop. It will end up being quite a nice meadow ride once we're done.

Trail work day this Saturday at 9 AM. Meet in the parking lot by the soccer fields on the north side of the park road loop

Sent from Michael's iPhone
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 10th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Hours logged. Here is the direct link to log hours at RHP for future handy-dandy reference: http://www.potomba.org/volunteer-hour-tracking/

Glad to hear the trail is officially open. The only area I was disappointed with is that short section near the back gate where a few folks have left ruts. I'll be walking that area until it thoroughly dries.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » April 11th, 2014, 2:54 pm

If it's not too muddy, you should ride your fatty through that section headed to the back gate. Roll over the pizza cutters a few times to flatten them out for us. :)

See you tomorrow for the trail day.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Luis_LS » April 11th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Thank you to all people that have been cleaning the trail. It is in great shape.
I rode it this afternoon.
Luis_LS

Postby michael48197 » April 13th, 2014, 9:50 am

We had a very good turn out of 10 people for the trail day yesterday. Thanks to all for your help and hard work. Please be sure to log your hours on the Poto Chapter website or use the link provided by ChrisInYpsi in his post on this forum on April 10.

We trimmed, mowed and rototilled almost all of the new section from the kettle pond up to the north walk-in entrance at RHP across from Wiards on Merritt Road. However, most of this section still needs to be raked clean and tamped down after the tilling. PLEASE DO NOT RIDE IT YET. We don't want to compress the soil back down with all the grass mixed into it as that will only make the ride more bumpy and slow. I put up a barrier to the new trail at the kettle pond. PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE IT.

The N-S segment that runs N away from the park road needs quite a bit of work. There are some deep furrows/trenches from the old Wiards farm that need to be filled in with a few yards of fill/gravel. I'll will contact the park manager to gain his help on this as we will need a small front end loader. I also blocked the start of this N-S segment. Again, please do not remove the blockade.

If anyone has the time and energy, please go out to RHP and rake the tilled soil. Please start by the kettle pond and move towards the turn N away from the road. You will need a metal garden rake or McLeod, not a leaf rake. Please do your best to scrap away the grass from the tilled trail tread and then disperse the debris away from the trail. Some of this first segment was raked and the debris left in a pile alongside the trail. Not only does it look unappealing, the debris can create a small berm which can hold water on the trail and/or channel water down the length of the trail, leading to muddy conditions and/or erosion. Contact me if you want to borrow a garden rake or McLeod.

If we can clear the first segment from the kettle pond to the left turn away from the road (~0.3 miles), we can open it for riding. The remainder will have to wait until we get the furrows/trenches filled and leveled. Let me know here or by PM if you do any work in the coming week or so.

As for the remainder of the north loop, I will mark the trail tread in the meadows in the next two weeks along the N border, S along the E border and then back W to the crossing of the park road. We will need 2-3 trail days to mow/till/rake the meadows and another 2-3 days to work on the N-S and E-W treelines heading back to the kettle pond. So, I would guess another 6+ trail days to get it completed. Not bad for 1.7 miles of trail though. The next full trail day may not happen for a few weeks (maybe May 10).
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 13th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Great ride this afternoon. Very short soft spot at the top of the kettle pond - otherwise everything is dry and fast. The first spring dirt ride after a winter of riding snow is always special.
ChrisInYpsi

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments