Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Rainmann » December 10th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Rode one lap today, trail is in great shape with only a very few slick spots.
Shut up and ride your bike already...
Rainmann

Postby michael48197 » December 23rd, 2015, 9:07 am

The trail surface was pretty greasy throughout when I rode on Tuesday 12/22. With the expected wet weather in the next few days, it will only get worse. RHP generally holds up pretty well in the wet. However, since the trees and grasses are dormant, there's nothing to pump the water out of the soil. So, please stay off the wooded trail sections at RHP until things dry up or freeze up. That being said, I encourage you to ride the North Meadow Loop from the kettle pond in the West Meadows up to Wiards/Merritt Road and back including the N-S and initial part of the E-W treeline near the soccer fields. The ground in this area is usually pretty baked out in the sun making it hard to "ride in" to tear up the grass and smooth out the bumps.

And that goes double for the SE Meadow loop. I intend to get some signs out in the next week or so to mark it better since the ground is not yet frozen. To ride the SE Meadow, turn L to head to the Bemis Connector at ~0.5 miles from the trial head just after passing a grass lane. Then once the trail reaches the meadow, bend left and wind up the hill, L around the corner of the field and then loop N to the large flag pole and then diagonally across the field towards Stony Creek Road and then its intersection with Bemis. The SE Meadow is quite bumpy at the moment since it is brand new. The bigger issue is the grass cover and uncompacted soil in the meadow, making it very slow to ride. Unfortunately, this meadow was mowed very short in the fall so the trail tread is not entirely clear yet. I will aim to mark it with paint or flags to clarify the trail line. It doesn't look like much right now, but I promise it will be worthwhile as the wildflowers are spectacular in this meadow in the late spring and early summer. And, once ridden in, you speed demons out there will love this section.

REMINDER: If you are riding at RHP or ANY trail and you come upon standing water in the trail track, PLEASE ride straight through the water and not around it.
Doing so only leads to trail widening and even greater issues with standing water. There are some spots in the West Meadows where the trail tread has worn through the grass and created a channel where there is standing water. Go through it, not around it.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » December 30th, 2015, 8:32 am

I rode RHP yesterday to check out the situation after the wind storm the other day. Generally, the trail survived pretty well. There was a lot of small blow-down debris. I cleared a lot of the bigger stuff, but didn't have time to remove it all on my bike. If someone has time, it would be better to go through on foot to remove the rest.

There are two downed trees on the west fence line section (after passing through the last part of the disc golf course and climbing the switch backs to the west fence). One tree with 4 or 5 sections of 4-6" each needs a chainsaw (up on the highest section near another large blow down from 3-4 years ago). The other tree is right at the end of this section just before the left turn around the corner of the fence to the West Meadows. It is small enough for a hand saw but I didn't bring mine yesterday. If you have a saw and the time, please remove it. If you do so, please post here that it is done. If the small tree at the end of this section gets cut out, then we can jump back on the single track just after the large log pile.

I blocked off the west fence section with some trail debris. Please avoid it for now. You can make a right turn at the end of the disc golf section and follow the paved path N to the left turn to the West Meadows. I informed RHP staff about the large tree. For safety concerns, they are required to have two people for chain saw work. So, the tree won't get cleared until next Monday Jan 4 at the earliest. Good news is that I asked RHP staff to cut the tree and lie it flat on the ground for a small ride-over log pile.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » January 2nd, 2016, 8:28 am

Not sure if it was done by RHP staff or a MTB'er, but the two trees mentioned in my note from 12/30 on the west fence line have been cleared and the section is now open. There are still quite a few pieces of small deadfall on the trail. Please try to clear some of it each time you are out at RHP. Thanks.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » January 2nd, 2016, 3:25 pm

I updated some areas today at RHP:

--> signage and flagging for L turn to the Southeast Meadow Loop off the main trail at ~0.5 miles. The flags clarify the location of the trail tread better since RHP mowed the meadow so short in the fall. Generally, the flags will be on the rider's left except on the first winding climb after taking a L out of the woods. The flags are on the outside of each turn in this area. As I noted earlier, this SE Meadow Loop is very bumpy. But the current soft trail conditions are perfect to ride in a good track, smoothing it out and chewing up the grass. Please make an effort to ride at least one lap of this loop on each visit to RHP. If enough riders get out there this winter, there should be a good trail tread by late spring when the growing season takes off in earnest.

--> signage for L turn to West Meadow trail or R turn back to MTB Trailhead at end of west fence line.

--> signage and flagging to re-route the trail around the N and E perimeter of the small meadow at the exit of the Munger Mounds section. I moved the debris pile I placed in this area about 6-8 weeks ago up about 50 yards right to the exit of the woods and put in a sign for a L turn around the meadow. After the park mowed this meadow for skiing, I got agreement for RHP management that we can co-opt this track for an extension of the MTB trail. As you will see, the trail takes a sharp L out of the woods and tracks N and then E around the meadow, re-entering the new tree line section at the E end. Please ride down the center of the mowed track. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE OR REMOVE THE DEBRIS PILE. This new track is a bit bumpy now, but will ride in nicely over the winter especially if the weather stays as it has been lately.

--> signage at the 3-way split at the kettle pond indicating R to MTB Trailhead and L to North Meadow Loop.

--> signage towards the end of the North Meadow Loop indicating the road crossing, R into the N-S tree line E of the soccer fields and R into the E-W tree line S of the soccer field. I also added a sign at the end of the finished section of this tree line indicating the trail "kinks" slightly right (for now) onto the paved path back to the kettle pond.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby arfenarf » January 3rd, 2016, 12:56 pm

I'll head out and try to burn some of that in this afternoon.

Thanks, Michael!!!
arfenarf

Postby raptorTC » March 15th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Did a quick lap this evening. Trail is in pretty decent shape, but there are still a few muddy bits, especially in the north/northwest portions. I'd give it an "almost ready" rating.
raptorTC

Postby Jared13 » March 17th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Any news on the trail condition? I'd like to hit this on Saturday but I don't know what the weather was like in the area.
Jared13

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Kazie » March 17th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Did anyone lose something very important today? I've just found it in the beginning section of the trail. Let me know.
Last edited by Kazie on March 17th, 2016, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby Kazie » March 17th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Trial is mostly dry to a bit damp. Only usual wet sections are soft. Even the always wet "cider mill" section (with apple trees and smelling like cider in the fall) wasn't too wet and just soft. So, I'd say trail is out of thaw and nothing different from the condition a few days after a rain.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby brick1554 » March 18th, 2016, 2:29 pm

Trail was good today, just a metric ton of branches and debris all over the trail from the wind.
http://cadieuxbicycleclub.com/
Crazy Engineer Person
brick1554

Postby Jared13 » March 19th, 2016, 1:25 pm

The trail was in pretty good shape, not too many trees down but still some debris. Just a few soft spots, most of it was dry.
Jared13

Postby Rainmann » March 23rd, 2016, 3:22 pm

Trail was in great shape last night.
Shut up and ride your bike already...
Rainmann

Postby raptorTC » April 13th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Trail was in pretty good shape tonight. It was a little wet in the beginning of the W Meadow loop so I decided not to test my luck and turned around before I got too far, but everything else that I rode was rolling great.
raptorTC

Postby JonMR » April 24th, 2016, 4:47 pm

First time at RHP. Fun trail. The section by Munger road has some surprises. Conditions were perfect.
JonMR

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments