Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » May 8th, 2016, 7:21 am

Tentatively planning a trail work day next Saturday, May 14. We will plan to work on finishing the E-W treeline section immediately S of the soccer fields. While it is a bit early in the growing season, the brush mower will also be available to mow the west and north meadow loops. Look for more details in the next day or so.

One bit of bad news: Washtenaw County Parks - not RHP Supervisor Brian Machamer - has decided in their great wisdom to lease out the SE meadow to a local farmer. So, while the perimeter loop in the SE meadow is now starting to smooth out and be more rideable, we are going to loose it to the farmers plow almost entirely in the near future. I have been told that the farmer will leave the Bemis connector and will only till the soil north of the Bemis connector. It's not clear how much grass will remain. At this point, I assume it will only be a narrow 20-30' wide corridor. I have let it be known that the RHP MTB community is not happy about this situation. But, WCP didn't even consult their own staff person responsible for RHP!
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 9th, 2016, 10:09 pm

ROLLING HILLS TRAIL WORK DAY, Sat., May 14, 9:00 AM to 1 PM

Please come out to build new trail at Rolling Hills Park in Ypsilanti Township on Saturday, May 14, 9:00 AM to 1 PM. We will be cleaning up rough cut sections of new trail in the E-W tree line south of the soccer fields to connect the North Meadow loop back to the West Meadow loop at the kettle pond (see photo attached...the part with "Work Area 11/14" as this work area is a continuation of work from last Nov). This tree line is ~1/4 mile long and will replace the adjacent E-W paved path immediately S of the sports fields.

Let's plan to meet at 9 AM in the "sports field" lot in the middle of the northern side of the park road. The work area is only few yards away! Please bring work gloves and sturdy shoes, wear long pants to protect from thorns and bring any good work tools that you might have (lopper, pruning shears,...). If anyone is attending the RHP front gate, let them know that you are entering to work on the MTB trail and they should let you in without charge. Leave a message here if you plan to come out to help.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 9th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Oh, and there's a "widow maker" across the trail right at head height near the end of the disk golf section, just before turning left up the slope to the west fence line section. It's just N of the small log on the N-S section just to the right of the "Pre-2014 MTB Trail" box on the map in my previous post. I have notified the RHP staff.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 14th, 2016, 7:05 am

Due to weather and wet ground, the RHP work day for today will be postponed to Sat., May 21, 9 AM to 1 PM.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby twinkler » May 19th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Note that the 21st is HSHV's "Walk and Wag" so the park will be extra crowded:

http://www.hshv.org/site/TR?pg=informat ... l&sid=1261

(On a positive note, some of the crowd will be cute dogs...)
twinkler

Postby michael48197 » May 20th, 2016, 9:17 am

REMINDER: ROLLING HILLS TRAIL WORK DAY, Sat., May 21, 9:00 AM to 1 PM

Please come out to build new trail at Rolling Hills Park in Ypsilanti Township on Saturday, May 21, 9:00 AM to 1 PM. We will be cleaning up rough cut sections of new trail in the E-W tree line south of the soccer fields to connect the North Meadow loop back to the West Meadow loop at the kettle pond (see photo attached...the part with "Work Area 11/14" as this work area is a continuation of work from last Nov). This tree line is ~1/4 mile long and will replace the adjacent E-W paved path immediately S of the sports fields.

Let's plan to meet at 9 AM in the "sports field" lot in the middle of the northern side of the park road. The work area is only few yards away! Please bring work gloves and sturdy shoes, wear long pants to protect from thorns and bring any good work tools that you might have (lopper, pruning shears,...). If anyone is attending the RHP front gate, let them know that you are entering to work on the MTB trail and they should let you in without charge. Leave a message here if you plan to come out to help.

As for the Humane Society event, we won't have too many people I assume on this work day. And we will use the sports field parking lot which doesn't get a lot of traffic. There should not be much conflict. Just be sure to notify the gate personnel that you are working on the trail.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 20th, 2016, 9:39 am

I contact Rhonda Bouma at RHP. She gave me a few details about the Humane Society event that will also take place tomorrow (http://www.hshv.org/site/DocServer/WW16 ... docID=4686). Except for the 5K run on the paved paths, most of the Humane Society event will take place in the field just N of the normal MTB lot at the Prairie Pavillion. The park loop road will have a barricade across the road just beyond the water park parking lot (if you go immediately right at the entrance traffic circle) or just past The Lodge parking lot (if you go straight through the circle). Which ever way you go on the loop road, just pull up to the barricade, move it to the side, drive past and then replace the barricade. Park in the sports field lot on the N side of the loop road. She confirm that trail workers will get into the park without paying the fee.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mpaquette70 » July 5th, 2016, 9:21 am

Did a lap at RHP on 7/3 and came across what appeared to be a downed log just before the Bemis Road back gate. Looks like someone tried to make it a new log pile? Not sure. Other than that trail was awesome.
2014 Trek 3700 Disc
1994 Trek 820
mpaquette70

Postby michael48197 » July 24th, 2016, 3:31 pm

19.8 miles (according to MapMyRide on my phone) and 11.5 hours....that's how much mowing I did last weekend!!

I've been out of town a lot this summer and have only ridden RHP 3X since May!!! So, I didn't have any time to set up a proper trail day. But since only one person can mow at a time, I ended up doing it all myself. Luckily, the weather was cooperative and surprisingly mild. I mowed all of Mile 1, the bluff over the pond at ~1.5 miles, the small meadow in the southwest corner at ~2.25 miles, a bunch of other small sections and all of the west & north meadows. Given that at least two and sometimes four passes were needed with the mower in some places (and gas needed to be retrieved from the trailer!), that ends up almost 20 miles in two days!!

There's still a lot of brush wacking to do, however, in areas where it is difficult to access with the mower. If you have the time and inclination to do some work, let me know and you can borrow the Stihl trimmer.

Next maintenance day will likely be at the end of August...for the last time in 2016, hopefully.

Oh, and I let RHP staff know...several times...about the downed tree towards the Bemis Gate. Please post if you see if it's cleared.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mpaquette70 » August 15th, 2016, 7:33 am

The down tree by the Bemis gate was still there when on rode on 8/14/16.
2014 Trek 3700 Disc
1994 Trek 820
mpaquette70

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions