Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » February 17th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Getting better with more traffic. Other than a couple drifts and the climb up the pond bluff the main singletrack is all rideable. Some is bumpy due to "grooming" with snowshoes, but with the right tire pressure that's not a problem.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ccoffey » March 13th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Anybody ridden RHP lately? Wondering if it's too sloppy/muddy and would tear up the trails.
Thoughts?
ccoffey

Postby SeafoodProf » March 22nd, 2015, 11:15 am

I rode a full RHP yesterday. It was in good shape aside from a few spots that were muddy. The Munger Rd section was in really good shape and only muddy in the usual spot near the end before exiting the woods. It probably wouldn't hurt to give it other week to dry out further.
SeafoodProf

Postby ChrisInYpsi » March 22nd, 2015, 6:47 pm

Bikes with skinny tires (<3"): please stay off the trail for another few days. At this point there are enough soft areas that you'd be leaving ruts. Should be good to go by next weekend if the rain they're predicting mid-week isn't too heavy.

Fat bikes (3"+ tires): trail is good to go for you. Please make an effort to squash any of the skinny-tire ruts you come across in the softer sections. And please remember to do the new North meadow loops since they still need traffic to ride in thoroughly.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » March 28th, 2015, 5:01 pm

All users: please stay off the RHP singletrack for the time being. This includes fat tire bikes, skinny tire bikes, and even hikers. All users are damaging the trail as of this afternoon.

The mid-week rain and recent freeze/thaw have not been kind to the trail. It is in worse condition today that it was when I rode last weekend. There are even new skinny tire ruts (sigh).

Fat bikes (4"+ tires) can probably ride in a couple days after things firm up a tad. It will likely be soft but that's a good time to try to smooth out the ruts left by prior riders.

Skinny tire bikes (under 4") will probably need to wait a week assuming we don't get a bunch of new rain.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby SwaggerSpice » March 30th, 2015, 10:28 am

So should skinny's be OK come Friday, granted we have no rain? I've be noticing the dirt roads and trails by Leslie are draining well and it seems like Rolling Hills has been on the edge of being ready to ride for a couple of weeks now, minus when it rains.
SwaggerSpice

Postby ChrisInYpsi » March 30th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Possibly. I would bet yes if we don't get rain, but it looks like they're forecasting a chance of rain on Tues, Thurs, and Fri. If it rains all those days I'd avoid the trail.

If we don't get too much rain I'll try to check it out again on my fatbike later this week and report back on what I find.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 6th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Rode RHP for the first time since last weekend.

Trail is 100% dry and ok to ride for all flavors of bikes.

Really good condition tonight. No soft spots, no obstructions, practically no remaining ruts, nice and tacky. Fast and fun.

Go ride (esp the North meadow loop), but as usual give it a day or so after any significant rain.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby SwaggerSpice » April 7th, 2015, 3:01 am

Thanks Chris! Almost went during some free time during the afternoon and regretting that I didn't with all the rain we're supposed to get; maybe I'll get lucky though!
SwaggerSpice

Postby SwaggerSpice » April 11th, 2015, 5:16 pm

FINALLY made it out this afternoon hoping the wind and sun would help the riding conditions; perfectly dry, except for one random 10-foot length of trail that required hike-a-bike. That trail must really drain well! RHP and Hewen's were different worlds. Trails are nearly all leaf-free, just one small area that may have gotten missed.

Hewen's Creek on the other hand was in terrible condition. The first half-mile or so was perfect, but it was swamp anywhere after the lake/creek. I turned around once I could and headed to RHP, which was a delight in comparison. I don't know when Hewen's will be ready, if ever.

Also whoever placed the 'Got Mud' sign/flyer on the trailhead? Saw it lying on the ground a little off the trail; somebody had ripped it off. I put two bigger sticks on top of it and left it towards the front if anyone wants to recover/fix it.
SwaggerSpice

Postby jmf003 » April 17th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Took some time out of my morning to ride RHP and HC. Things have dried to the point where RHP is in great shape. HC is rideable but still wet and soft in the marshy area with the foot bridges.

Whoever cleaned up the winter deadfall in both parks did an AMAZING job. Thanks!
jmf003

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments