Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 23rd, 2014, 3:01 pm

What other areas need to be trimmed at RHP? I'll try to get out tonight to finish up the disc golf area but I'm not sure what's needed after that.....
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 23rd, 2014, 9:59 pm

Finished trimming through the golf course and up the West fence line all the way up to the start of the Munger section. I'm anxious to get back to riding instead of trimming.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » August 13th, 2014, 8:44 pm

The rain was very good to the trail. Tamed the sand. No puddles or mud - just nice and tacky "hero dirt" tonight.

Several sections are getting hairy again with slappers. From the crater to the back gate and the E-W fenceline back to the mound section can use some love. Bring your hand loppers and spend a few minutes clipping the worst you see.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby dnale » August 14th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I should dust the bike off. Having the baby( ok my wife did that) and so many projects around the house have put me in bike neglect mode.
dnale

Postby bill_m » September 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am

Report of a tree down, roughly around the 2 mile point.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby parttime » September 4th, 2014, 12:17 pm

bill_m wrote:Report of a tree down, roughly around the 2 mile point.

I played hookey this morning and went to check it out. Rode the trail with my hand saw and cleaned up three smaller down/close to down trees in the first couple miles. This one is probably 8-10" in dia and right at head height, but could probably be taken out with a hand saw and some time, I ran out of time. IIRC it is at the beginning of the short section before the Bemis Rd. gate. I may head out tonight to clear, or this weekend if someone hasn't beat me to it. There are still some debris down in random spots and some face slappers, if anyone has some time to ride/cleanup.
parttime

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 6th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Lots of deadfall and several trees down, two of them blocking the trail. The first is at the start, the second is a a bit after the pond overlook. The Munger mounds has lots of vegetation leaning over the trail, the type with the small yellow blooms on them. At one point I stopped, heard a loud droning noise, looked back and noticed I had just ridden through several hundred bees. Seems bees love this stuff. I took one short cut, and took the two track around some of the sections that were blocked. Took me over an hour to do one loop, not including the new section put in this year. I think it was somewhere before the crater I had to dismount and walk through a downed tree.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 6th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Steve, are the trees small enough for a hand saw or will they need a chain saw?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 6th, 2014, 9:49 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Steve, are the trees small enough for a hand saw or will they need a chain saw?

Most are narrow enough for a hand saw. I think the biggest was after the overlook. What fell at the start could be removed with a hand saw.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 7th, 2014, 12:41 pm

What a mess! Took me quite a while to clear all the down trees. Lost track of how many were blocking or leaning into the trail - maybe a dozen or more.

The trail should be 100% rideable now. There are a few widow makers I couldn't reach that I'll alert the park about. And the leaner by the back gate is getting lower but the park will need to take care of that one.

I didn't have time to pick up all the sticks. If someone wants to help out it would be greatly appreciated to hike through and kick/rake the trail clear of all the sticks.

And Steve is right about all the goldenrod leaning into the trail. There is a bunch headed to the mounds and in the new Wiards extension. Also the section from the crater (or a little before) to the back gate really needs a trim.

Michael will be calling a trail day in a few weeks, but any help prior to then would be great.
ChrisInYpsi

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments