Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » November 24th, 2014, 5:46 pm

FINAL REMINDER: Please sign up in advance of the Black Friday Ride at the Event Brite site. The event is only 4 days away. Registration is up from a few weeks ago, but more attendees are always welcome. The weather forecast looks good at this point - cold with snow showers - so it should make for a fun day to ride and meet old & new friends.

Also, if anyone has a chance to ride RHP or HCP this week, please let me know ASAP if there are any problems like blow-down or window-makers.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 14th, 2014, 5:24 pm

There is a tree down across the trail at about 1.75 miles - right before you cross the 2 track near the log skinny. It needs a chainsaw to be cleared.

Michael, can you ask the park to clear this one? They never got to the last one we asked for help with in the lower golf course - I had to recruit some help from friendly golfers the day before the Black Fri ride, and none of us felt completely safe clearing it. So hopefully the park can get this one for us.

Otherwise the trail is in good shape.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 22nd, 2014, 1:54 pm

Tree mentioned above is still down. Michael, could you send a reminder to the park?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » December 26th, 2014, 9:11 am

I sent a note to RHP staff, but they may be short handed over the holiday period. I asked them to let me know when it is cleared so I'll post here that it's done.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby tmbrown » December 26th, 2014, 9:32 am

That tree doesn’t look very big, I carry one of these in my camelback.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-t ... saws/ps60/
tmbrown

Postby michael48197 » December 26th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Obviously, feel free to clear the tree if you ride at RHP. However, please let me know if you do so since I don't want to waste the time of RHP staff looking for a tree that is not there.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 29th, 2014, 8:26 pm

My Gerber folding saw cut through most of it like a hot knife through butter, it's soft wood. However the cheap plastic handle broke. I was still able to use it. The main trunk that's hinged where it broke is all that is left. You can ride through it now, watch the little section on your right as you pass by it. I deburred any "pungi" sticks poking out of it. Much better than the reroute that can hang a tall person. Myself and "busdriver" cleared something like this many years ago at Brighton, but it was a lot bigger. All this may need is a few guys to give that broken section a few twists and it will come down.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 9th, 2015, 9:04 pm

It's a winter wonderland out there. Beautiful day.

There is some ice under the snow in a few spots but it's not too bad. Air down your fat tires and get out there.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby jmf003 » January 10th, 2015, 8:30 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:It's a winter wonderland out there. Beautiful day.

There is some ice under the snow in a few spots but it's not too bad. Air down your fat tires and get out there.

+1. I rode a loop Friday afternoon and had a nice ride. Skipped some of the side slopes on the Mounds because of the ice underneath.
jmf003

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 10th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Just had time to ride up to the start of the Munger section. I did Morton Taylor earlier. Looks like a few people rode before me, skinny's included. The snow is soft, doesn't pack at all really, other than under my cleats :( I moved some thorny deadfall out of the way, just before you get to the fence line where the log hop is.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 27th, 2015, 9:08 pm

RHP was awesome tonight. 12"+ wide compacted trail tread in the main singletrack sections. The north meadows have seen less bike traffic and more hikers but are still ok on a fatty. 100% rideable, fairly fast, and very fun.
ChrisInYpsi

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments