Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » July 29th, 2015, 6:32 am

REMINDER: ROLLING HILLS TRAIL WORK DAY, Sat., Aug. 1, 8:30 AM to 2 PM

Please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea8a62da7f49-rolling so I can be sure there is enough equipment to use.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 2nd, 2015, 11:13 am

We got quite a bit accomplished on the trail day yesterday thanks to Greg C., Ryan M., Frank C., Alex S. and Norm R.

* finished up the west meadows including the Munger Mounds (especially that widow maker on the down hill from the top the mound)
* re-mowed most of the north meadow loop
* trimmed the last section of single track headed back to the water park
* trimmed the N-S treeline east of the soccer fields after the trail cross the park road and heads back to the kettle pond
* trimmed the N-S section of the west fence line
* mowed the small (overgrown) meadow to the SW near Bemis Road and other sections before and after the meadow
* mowed the second half of Mile 1
* trimmed from the crater to the pond bluff
* mowed the pond bluff and some section afterwards towards the Bemis entry gate
* thoroughly trimmed the uphill half of the pond bluff

So the trail is now in quite good shape. About the only area that still needs some attention is ~1.7 to ~2.2 miles; that is, from the gravel road up the hill and then to the Bemis gate and beyond down the switch backs through the disc golf course. If anyone has the time and inclination to work on it, let me know and you can borrow the Stihl hedge trimmer.

Thanks again to all that helped out yesterday.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 2nd, 2015, 11:24 am

I "officially" measure the RHP trail at 6.5 miles per lap including the paved E-W path from the sports fields back to the kettle pond in the west meadow. The trail is primed and ready for fast laps at the moment...although you need to watch out for a few sandy patch in some turns and a few mud spots after exiting the Munger Mounds into the old apple orchard. I rode a couple of laps this morning and hit a PB of 40'30". That's a lot faster than the 51" I did about a month ago with all the tall grasses and being out of shape. What's your best time?

Also, we have the Black Friday Ride every year (this year 11/27 10 AM to 2 PM). It a great event if I do say so myself. But I was wondering if we should try to have a race or better yet a time trial at RHP. Maybe not an "official" event like CPS or with IMBA affiliation, but a fun event in the mid-fall (late Oct?) that might be a tune up event for Iceman. Any thoughts?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby missionchips » August 4th, 2015, 8:38 pm

RHP rode great tonight and thanks a ton for the hard work during the trail days!
missionchips

Postby arfenarf » August 20th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Thursday evening report: Damp and a little slick in some of the turns, crumbly sand in others. Main part of the loop is just fine, as are the mounds and the field-parts of the Munger loop - but the low spots in Munger are puddled and muddy. I felt guilty after my first lap and cut Munger out for the second.
arfenarf

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments