Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Kazie » January 10th, 2014, 8:07 am

I went to RHP last evening. The trail was covered by a foot of snow. I and my studded skinnies couldn't take it. I did a few laps on the pavement and went home.

Image
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
User avatar
Kazie
 
Posts: 38
Joined: August 27th, 2006, 10:29 am

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 12th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I managed to pack down the trail a little ways past the crater. Ran out of water and time. Conditions varied from 1/2 inch to drifts almost up to my hubs. Crunchy snow made riding difficult. Only encountered one short section of hiker prints, not many people were out there, no skiers either. I'd ride out a ways, ride back, then continue on, ride back, reverse and so on so there'd be around and 8-10" wide track layed down. When I left, a couple of guys went out on regular MTB's, not sure how it went for them. I told them where my tracks would end. When I reached the point of stopping, I had a nice ride back.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Luis_LS » January 13th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:I managed to pack down the trail a little ways past the crater. Ran out of water and time. Conditions varied from 1/2 inch to drifts almost up to my hubs. Crunchy snow made riding difficult. Only encountered one short section of hiker prints, not many people were out there, no skiers either. I'd ride out a ways, ride back, then continue on, ride back, reverse and so on so there'd be around and 8-10" wide track layed down. When I left, a couple of guys went out on regular MTB's, not sure how it went for them. I told them where my tracks would end. When I reached the point of stopping, I had a nice ride back.


Thank you Steve for your advice.
We when into the trial for very shot distance (~100 yards). It was to difficult for our skinnies :oops:
We rode some miles on pavement only.
User avatar
Luis_LS
 
Posts: 4
Joined: January 13th, 2014, 10:38 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 14th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Luis_LS wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:I managed to pack down the trail a little ways past the crater. Ran out of water and time. Conditions varied from 1/2 inch to drifts almost up to my hubs. Crunchy snow made riding difficult. Only encountered one short section of hiker prints, not many people were out there, no skiers either. I'd ride out a ways, ride back, then continue on, ride back, reverse and so on so there'd be around and 8-10" wide track layed down. When I left, a couple of guys went out on regular MTB's, not sure how it went for them. I told them where my tracks would end. When I reached the point of stopping, I had a nice ride back.


Thank you Steve for your advice.
We when into the trial for very shot distance (~100 yards). It was to difficult for our skinnies :oops:
We rode some miles on pavement only.


Hope you continued past the first dirt road crossing which isn't far. The hardest part always seems to be that entrance. Really filled up with a huge drift in the first switchback. I did pack down the straight flat section somewhat in that entrance, if you could not ride that then it's hard to say you would have made the rest.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Kazie » January 17th, 2014, 11:20 am

Thank you for packing the trail, Steve. I went to RHP last evening and found it slightly more rideable than last Thursday. But it was tough to keep my studded skinnies rolling, nonetheless, with heavy icy snow, deep foot prints and narrow path. I reached to the crater, turned around and rode backwards to the trailhead.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
User avatar
Kazie
 
Posts: 38
Joined: August 27th, 2006, 10:29 am

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 17th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Kazie wrote:Thank you for packing the trail, Steve. I went to RHP last evening and found it slightly more rideable than last Thursday. But it was tough to keep my studded skinnies rolling, nonetheless, with heavy icy snow, deep foot prints and narrow path. I reached to the crater, turned around and rode backwards to the trailhead.



You're welcome. Studded tires still needed? I may try to finish the trail tomorrow morning.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 17th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Did a full lap tonight in the dark. Lotsa work. There were tracks up to the gravel road crossing by the log skinny, but the rest was unridden. Nothing but 8 bazillion frozen hiker footprints in crusty deep snow with a few inches of fresh powder on top. Was like riding through a minefield for several miles. Did a fair bit of hiking up hills and through deep drifts.

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/18/apapuma9.jpg[/img]

So there's a track on the whole trail now at least. Much but not all will be rideable, although not easily. If anyone wants to help ride in the trail you might consider doing a reverse lap since the tracks on first half of the trail are fairly wide already.
ChrisInYpsi
 
Posts: 330
Joined: June 12th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 17th, 2014, 10:57 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Did a full lap tonight in the dark. Lotsa work. There were tracks up to the gravel road crossing by the log skinny, but the rest was unridden. Nothing but 8 bazillion frozen hiker footprints in crusty deep snow with a few inches of fresh powder on top. Was like riding through a minefield for several miles. Did a fair bit of hiking up hills and through deep drifts.



So there's a track on the whole trail now at least. Much but not all will be rideable, although not easily. If anyone wants to help ride in the trail you might consider doing a reverse lap since the tracks on first half of the trail are fairly wide already.


OK, thanks! I was thinking whether to inch my way from where I left off or go in reverse where descending will be easier to pack down the climb by the pond. If there's already a track, reverse lap it is. Taking the Wildfire and both wheelsets. The studded Endomorphs will have less drag through the crust. If I get it packed, then I can swap for my tubeless.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 19th, 2014, 2:46 am

Yesterday I rode one lap backwards with DIY studded tires. Then swapped for my tubeless rims, went back in the normal direction only to turn back at the crater when my rear tire burped. Walked back, pump up the tire, found the valve was a bit loose. Went on to do one lap of the main trail, didn't make it to the Munger mounds. The Munger Mounds and the hill overlooking the pond are the worst areas with lots of deep snow, also the retention pond near the end was pretty bad. Looks like dog walkers left frozen track around there. Some areas off to the sides were up to my knees.

Nice to see my packed down section leading to the crater wasn't trampled under foot. Studded tires not necessary, could use a few more fat bikes to pack it down.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 19th, 2014, 8:31 pm

The trail is almost 100% rideable by fat bike. Today I was able to ride quite a ways past the crater with no issue. The hills making up the overlook by the pond I walked up and then rode down several times. Tricky thing is dealing with frozen bumps under the snow. Hardest part was along the fence line before making the left turn to the Munger mounds. Wind blowing off the adjacent farmer's field has blown some good sized snow drifts over the trail, this is where I did most of the walking. I wasn't going to ride the Munger mounds, but noticed Chris's tracks and no foot prints, they were fresh, so I went ahead and rode Munger. Wasn't bad as I had expected, only one area of deep drifts and the open areas were quite rideable. A skier packed down the retention pond climb.

For a regular MTB, skipping the overlook climbs may help keep you riding. The snow is getting packed down pretty well, but it's a bumpy ride in some places. The start to the crater is pretty good, as well as a few flat sections past that point.

I finished with 2 laps on the main trail plus 1 lap of Munger.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 19th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Good to see you out there today Steve. I agree that the trail is in good fatbikin' shape except for a few snowdrifts. I really enjoyed my lap and a half (did the Munger section twice to help ride it in).

Air down your fat tires and get out and ride RHP. It'll be a blast and you'll help it stay in good shape for the race next weekend.
ChrisInYpsi
 
Posts: 330
Joined: June 12th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 20th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Had time for 1 full lap after a morning full of errands. I spent some time trying to make a couple areas more rideable, and widened one downhill trench before the overlook. It's still tough by the fence line by the farmer's field before you cross the log pile. I tried stomping some of that down and riding though (snow is about knee deep there). That area was in the race last year, I'm thinking it would have to be this year as well unless Brent routes the course back through some alternate paths (there is one parallel to this section). May not be rideable, but you no longer run through knee deep snow.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 20th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Trail is really good for fatbikes. 2 laps today with lots of smiles and minimal hiking.
ChrisInYpsi
 
Posts: 330
Joined: June 12th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Kazie » January 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Rode a lap last evening (skipped Munger Rd. section.) Thanks to Steve and Chris (and maybe some more fat bikers,) it's much more rideable even on skinnies. But I have to admit it was far from an enjoyment. I had to keep stop'n'ride, stop'n'walk, ... all the way. Maybe I'm seeing what fat bikes can do on the snow over regular MTB's. I didn't feel this way last winter...
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
User avatar
Kazie
 
Posts: 38
Joined: August 27th, 2006, 10:29 am

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 23rd, 2014, 6:07 pm

Kazie wrote:Rode a lap last evening (skipped Munger Rd. section.) Thanks to Steve and Chris (and maybe some more fat bikers,) it's much more rideable even on skinnies. But I have to admit it was far from an enjoyment. I had to keep stop'n'ride, stop'n'walk, ... all the way. Maybe I'm seeing what fat bikes can do on the snow over regular MTB's. I didn't feel this way last winter...


Real bumpy in a few sections, sometimes if you have some 2.3-2.5 tires with low pressure it works better. What are you using for tires?
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 3 guests