Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby P_Thomas22 » June 14th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Yes chris thats correct. You join in the trail just before the bridge, then hit the trail head at the end and do the first section then turn left back onto the connector, there is red flags there to point it out. Just got back from a ride today, thanks for all the great job maintaining the trail!!! Looked great, new log pile on a small up hill section was a nice surprise! Here is my gps date from the ride today if you want to have a look. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92404678
P_Thomas22

Postby lavaspill » July 1st, 2011, 8:45 am

There is a tree down a little before the big log climb in the switchbacks. Other than that this is a fantastic local trail.
lavaspill

Postby ADDam » July 1st, 2011, 11:32 pm

Just got done with a night ride, trail is in stellar condition, except in a few spots where it's really overgrown.

Here's the beast:

Adam G
ADDam

Postby michael48197 » July 5th, 2011, 5:36 am

I'll ask RHP staff to cut out the tree on the west fence area.

I'm planning a trail day next weekend to clean up the remaining face slappers from the trail day a few weeks ago as well as mow the meadow at ~2.3 miles and weedwacking some of the forested section...assuming I can get my trimmer working in the next few days. I'll send out an Email with details of the trail day in a day or two.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » July 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

There will be a trail maintenance day at RHP on Saturday 7/9 from 9 AM to 1 PM. Look for the car with the MMBA Trail Crew sign in the trailhead parking lot. We will continue the trail trimming, mowing and pruning work started on the last work day in early June. We'll also remove the remaining debris from the downed tree along the west fence line.

RHP staff has already mowed the small meadow in the SW corner at ~2.3 miles and is scheduled to remove the tree on the west fence line at ~2.7 miles today. Let's give a big thank you to Steve Wyatt's team.

It's going to be a hot work day this weekend. Please come prepared with lots of water and any gear you may have for trail work (gloves, long sleeves and long pants for bugs and poison ivy, sturdy work shoes, loppers, gas trimmers, pruners, shears,...).

If you are available, please confirm if you will come out so I have an idea of head count in advance.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » July 10th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Greg Cook and I spent about 5.5 hours working on the trails at RHP on Saturday 7/9. We removed the tree that had fallen on the west fence line at ~2.8 miles along with the mountain of debris and vines that came down with it. We also continued the work we started in early June and trimmed/pruned the trail from the top of the bluff at ~1.7 miles to the beginning of the meadow at ~2.4 miles. The next few sections still need to be cleared of undergrowth, but that might not happen before the 29er event next weekend since my weed wacker is MIA. Otherwise, the trail is in very good condition although it could use a little rain to firm up the very dry soil.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby john_galt » July 13th, 2011, 10:16 am

This trail keeps getting better with age! Excited for the expansion. Any word on when it will begin?
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » July 14th, 2011, 10:25 am

John,

Glad you are liking the trail more. It has really ridden in nicely. There's a bit more maintenance to complete this summer, but nothing serious.

As for expansion, I did actually mow out a 1 mile perimeter trail in the SE meadow in late April/early May. However, it didn't get much traffic and I had to travel for work a few times. So, nature has won for now out there. I intend to remow in the fall after the growing season and then get the 24" wide rototiller from RHP and grind in a proper track. That way we should have a good chance to ride in the track before spring growing season to make a nice high speed section.

The longer expansion in the NW area probably won't start until the fall as well. To my observation, the RHP park expansion activities are progressing slowly. The MTB trail extension in this area needs to be coordinated with road building and additional disc golf holes. That work is still up in the air. Norm Roller has started to lay out new trail on the far western fence line along Munger Road. So we have a good idea of the layout in that area where there are a lot of cool dirt mounds and gullies. We need to work out the transition from the current trail, across the meadows and around the old gravel pit. As I noted, look for notices this fall for trail building days on this forum or the MMBA-Poto Yahoo Group.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Mikeyb64 » July 14th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Michael, do you have any more info on the demo day this Saturday?
Mikeyb64

Postby ADDam » July 14th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:Michael, do you have any more info on the demo day this Saturday?

Hey, I'll Chime in here. I'm the one planning the Niner Demo for this Saturday. Tree Fort Bikes and Niner Bikes will be at Rolling Hills Park from 9am-2pm. Combined, We'll have about 20 bikes for you to ride, all for free.

You need to visit our blog and print your voucher that gets you into the pass for free. Bring your Helmet, and bathing suit, I think it's about $6 to get into the water park.

http://blog.treefortbikes.com/index.php/posts/1519
Adam G
ADDam

Postby deezler » July 15th, 2011, 8:25 am

ADDam,

We'll definitely be allowed to take a lap on the trail with a niner, right? Just want to make sure I don't come out without a bicycle and end up only being allowed to circle the parking lot.

Thanks
deezler

Postby mikesathome2 » July 15th, 2011, 10:21 am

I had seen previous post stating that you could test one "on the trail" so I would hope its not just the parking lot
mikesathome2

Postby deezler » July 15th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Cool, yeah I hope so. Never ridden a 29er. Everything I read says they are slower to accelerate and less maneuverable in the tight twisty stuff - of which both are required at RHP. So it will be a good test, for sure!
deezler

Postby dnale » July 15th, 2011, 2:44 pm

My 29er makes it around RHP ok....
dnale

Postby Mikeyb64 » July 18th, 2011, 7:22 am

The Niner demo was awesome! Thanks Tree Fort & RHP.
Mikeyb64

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions