Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby dnale » November 29th, 2013, 6:54 am

Have a great ride guys. I'm about to head into work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
dnale

Postby utabintarbo » November 29th, 2013, 3:42 pm

The trails were in pretty prime condition for today's Black Friday Ride! Great job! :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby michael48197 » November 30th, 2013, 9:29 am

Thanks to all (est. 45 riders) for coming out for the 5th Annual Black Friday Ride yesterday. The weather was clear and crisp, the trail hard packed and fun to ride, the beer cold, the pizza zesty and the camaraderie fantastic. Thanks too to DeWight and crew at Wheels In Motion for sponsoring the ride. Looking forward to seeing you all again at the 6th annual ride - November 28, 2014 - when we hope to have an additional 1.5 to 1.8 miles of new trail.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby utabintarbo » November 30th, 2013, 10:41 pm

Second-to-last pic: Bob clogging up the trail. Last pic: Bob clogging up his arteries (with his back to the camera). :P

Good Times! :D
utabintarbo

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 30th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Nice work on coordinating another Black Friday ride Michael. And thanks to WIM for sponsoring the post ride goodies (even though I didn't have time to stick around).

I saw a few WIM peeps taking videos again this year and hope they post it online.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 15th, 2013, 8:56 pm

I live a few miles from RHP, and it's been snowing here steadily since late Fri night. I tried to ride RHP today but largely failed. Did more hiking than biking, and finally bailed to the 2-tracks after a few miles.

Lots of fresh powdery snow made things difficult, but the day-old bike tracks, hiker footprints, xc ski tracks, and snowshoe prints made steering and traction extremely tough. Even with fat tires aired down to 5-6 psi.

Returned after an early dinner tonight for some fun with my daughters on the sledding hill. That was a blast. RHP is beautiful right now.

Image Image
ChrisInYpsi

Postby G.Cook » December 15th, 2013, 10:18 pm

and then RHP is a tight twisty trail for the Fat-Bike on a "normal" day . The texture of the snow was a contributing factor , I think , in the tracking of the ride . Something I was thinking about when making my way around the N. loop of the Poto Sat.
G.Cook

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 15th, 2013, 11:32 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:I live a few miles from RHP, and it's been snowing here steadily since late Fri night. I tried to ride RHP today but largely failed. Did more hiking than biking, and finally bailed to the 2-tracks after a few miles.

Lots of fresh powdery snow made things difficult, but the day-old bike tracks, hiker footprints, xc ski tracks, and snowshoe prints made steering and traction extremely tough. Even with fat tires aired down to 5-6 psi.

Returned after an early dinner tonight for some fun with my daughters on the sledding hill. That was a blast. RHP is beautiful right now.

Small trails, or those that have plenty of quick routes to bail are perfect for riding backwards what you just slogged through. Key thing is when you start getting tired going one direction, go the opposite and retrace your tracks. Then at some point turn around again, and proceed further. Keep doing this until you complete the whole trail. Retracing your tracks helps you reap what you just packed down and if conditions are right, you will be doing a steady cadence giving your legs a break and ready for the next slogfest section. I ran out of time to attempt RHP today, was at Morton Taylor and flattened several sections going back and forth. I may head out there Wednesday, have the day off.

RHP, Morton Taylor, Olsen Park, and Hickory Glenn are good trails to ride on days like today as there are no big hills and you have a chance of doing multiple laps if you can pack them down in a timely manner. The Tree Farm works too, but it's got some distance to deal with when the snow gets real deep.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 17th, 2013, 1:51 pm

RHP was better this morning than it was on Sunday even though we got a new inch or two of snow last night and it's still snowing as I write this. Did more biking than hiking today, and even made it up several hills. That said, it's still a tough ride and I did plenty of falling and hiking. Someone walked the whole trail with snowshoes, and at first I thought that would be helpful but I think it actually made things more difficult to bike.

The first few miles of singletrack should be mostly rideable for now.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 19th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Had the day off work, got out to the trail just after sunrise. First lap was tough, did the second in the opposite direction, and the third was easiest. I didn't do the Munger mound section. Well packed down now, but hard to say how long the snow will hold up for.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 29th, 2013, 12:13 pm

100% rideable and 200% fun this morning on my fatbike. Only sketchy areas are around the kettle pond at the end (getting soft) and the off camber stuff on the upper ridge mound line (some tricky ice).

Trail is still mostly snow covered. Was getting softer on my second lap. Be careful around the kettle pond if it gets warmer this afternoon - walk it if it's soft and muddy, especially if you're on skinny tires.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby dnale » December 29th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I would have loved to ride but with a newborn, sleeping and changing diapers is pretty much my itinerary for the next week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » December 31st, 2013, 12:28 pm

Rode through RHP this morning and had a blast. There is some ice beneath the new snow but it mostly is textured and grippy. Slid out my rear tire once or twice while powering up hills around corners (see pic), but that was really no big deal.

Broke my chain back in the mound section so had to cut my ride short.

I'll likely be riding RHP and HC tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join up for a 1st ride of the year.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 1st, 2014, 7:28 pm

Got out there sometime around 2PM during the snowfall and got a couple laps in, the whole trail. Fantastic ride, did not use studs. A few steep hills I had to take a few steps to climb up but climbing hills was doable with Nate tires with no issues. Didn't see any bike tracks, just one hiker and an occasional ski track in a few areas. Saw a few pheasants flying through the woods.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 4th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Did one lap and then attempted another, but turned back at the crater. My tracks from the first lap were pretty much stomped over by hikers, and the snow changed conditions from being soft powder to a heavier quality from the warmer temps. That combination made climbing hills impossible. I tried riding more of the trail backwards from the end, but the conditions were not much better so I called it a day. Would have been a three hour hike a bike adventure on a second lap, which i didn't have time for. Lot of skiers out today - I did notice a fat bike track on a ski trail that I crossed, not sure what rules the park has in the winter, but otherwise that's typically a good way to get into an altercation with an experienced skier. (There's a few hiker prints as well, multi-use?) I did notice a groomed section out by the Munger mounds for the skiers.
Steve_Balogh

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments