Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2013, 2:37 pm

Took a slow walk around the RHP MTB trail today to record a good GPS trace thanks to PartTime's Garmin 305. Once I get it downloaded I'll work on a new map with the west meadows and Munger Mounds. I hope to have that completed and posted here by the Black Friday Ride next week.

That tree on the E-W fence at the beginning of the west meadow section looks a bit small for a skinny and hardly seems work the effort. I suggest that we just leave it where it lays and add a couple of smaller logs in front and behind to make a small ride-over. Take a look at it John_Galt and let me know what you want to do with it.

I cleared hundreds of small chain-grabber and spoke-breaker sticks on my walk. There's nothing left to clear except the aforementioned log. The only other point to note is a "low bridge". After the climb up from the gravel road at ~1.7 miles, the single track crosses the grass path to head to the back gate. The first tree right at the beginning of this section is hanging low now. I expect it will fall this winter, but right now it's OK. Just duck under and keep riding.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby john_galt » November 22nd, 2013, 2:53 pm

michael48197 wrote:That tree on the E-W fence at the beginning of the west meadow section looks a bit small for a skinny and hardly seems work the effort. I suggest that we just leave it where it lays and add a couple of smaller logs in front and behind to make a small ride-over. Take a look at it John_Galt and let me know what you want to do with it.

Yeah, may be better to just leave it.

FYI, for future reference, we can move really big downed trees to make skinnies using a Come Along. I spoke with Lauren, the Lakeshore TC, who gave me the advice and has used this method multple times. This was my plan for the big downed tree that the park staff cut up this summer.
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » November 23rd, 2013, 3:57 pm

Rode a lap at both RHP and HCP this morning...about 11.2 miles on my bike. Both trails are in excellent condition and clear of debris...except for the log at the start of the west meadow loop. Hewens was a little wet in a few places but nothing serious. One point to note: the NW 'lollipop' loop at Hewens is closed due to issues with neighbors. Weather is forecast to be dry and cold this week so the trails should dry more and firm up by Friday.

I hope so 'cus they were real greasy and slippery with leaves and a dusting of snow this morning. So greasy in fact that my front tire slipped out from under me on the initial climb up the Munger Mounds. I ended up slidding down the slope on my back with my bike above me still attached to my feet!!!! I felt like a turtle!!!

BTW, it's possible to ride over that tree but novices will have a hard time with it. Anyone going to have time this week to fix it up with a few smaller logs as a ride-over pile?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 23rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Just finished a couple laps at HC, and those must have been your tracks I saw in the snow. Was the first ride of the year that my bottle froze up - it's getting cold!

If I get to RHP before Black Friday I'll bring a saw to have a go at the log-over. I cut a few other smaller trees out of that area the other night so there should be enough raw material for entry/exit logs.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 23rd, 2013, 6:25 pm

Did my first tubeless fatty ride today at RHP. Was interesting to see a dusting of snow on the ground, didn't have that much in Canton. I lost air in the rear tire just before the start of the Munger mounds, walked back to the car, aired up and headed back and finished the full loop and some paved trail riding. The Vee-8's handled the slippery leaves pretty well, no issues. Finished around 2PM was still pretty cold with a lot of wind and it did snow a few times.
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » November 24th, 2013, 3:38 pm

I started out yesterday from Rolling Hills and then out to Hewens and back to Rolling Hills. I started on virgin snow and then saw the fat bike track when I came back to Rolling Hills. I was surprised to see the fat bike track disappear before heading to the West Meadows. Your loss of air pressure explains that mystery.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 24th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Really enjoyed RHP today. Incredibly fun on a fat bike at low tire pressures with the snow and frozen ground. Saw a number of other tire tracks in the snow - this trail is getting a good amount of traffic. Nice job getting all the sticks Michael.

I added a few logs where the small log pile was before the crater. It already has a ride around and I missed having that little pile to ride over. There weren't any big logs in the area so it's small for now, but if I get a chance I'll look around for something more substantial.

I spent some time working on the new log pile over the tree at the E-W fence. I'm not great at log piles, and with the ground frozen it's not as stable as I'd like. I rode it a few times and was still hitting my big chainring so I'll look for another big log to smooth out the entry. But it's better than it was and is at least a start. I brought my folding bowsaw so I was able to cut the N side of the tree to get it to lay on the ground (it was raised a few inches off the ground), so if the log pile doesn't work well enough we can always drag the whole thing off the trail.

Image Image Image
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 25th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Chris,

Great job on making that deadfall rideable. You set it up just right by making sure it was laying on the ground and having small logs on either side. Let's see how it rides before making any changes. It might be necessary to add 1-2 larger logs in front and behind, but probably not. I don't think it's any worse than the pile about 100 yards after the back gate at Bemis. We are definitely not removing it, but might fix it up a bit more if needed....good enough for this week though.

UPDATE: 43 Riders signed up for the Black Friday Ride so far. Please remind your friends and fellow riders to sign up in advance so we get a good count of participants for refreshment and pizza.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 26th, 2013, 10:07 pm

UPDATE: 52 Riders signed up for the Black Friday Ride so far.

Take a look at the new RHP map below and let me know what you think. Eventually, I'll also do more details for the original trail, the west meadows/Munger Mounds and the proposed northern loop.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 27th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Eventful night at RHP:
- Cleared a new small tree down on the last section before the paved path.
- Shored up the small log pile before the crater.
- Totally reworked the new log pile at the E-W fence. When I first rode up on it the logs on the back side were separated from the pile and were an endo-maker waiting to happen. Started from scratch and cut and placed new logs on both sides of the main trunk. Also flipped the trunk around - seems to match the contour our of the trail better that way. Rode it both ways a dozen times or so and it's a much better ride and is holding together ok so far. With the dirt frozen I can't really pack things in, but I think it might hold together for a little while. I'll check on it again tomorrow and before the ride on Fri. If anyone has thoughts to make it better please have at it. You won't offend me by reworking it - especially if it can be safer.
- Ran into Steve Wyatt removing some of the unused timbers back by the new ridge line. He didn't know why the closed sign was reposted and assumed Michael placed it there. Seems like no one knows why it's back up. Michael, unless you object I'll take it down tomorrow so it's not confusing for the ride on Fri.

Did 3 laps and all is clear, frozen, and fast.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby G.Cook » November 27th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Great job Chris.
G.Cook

Postby michael48197 » November 28th, 2013, 11:23 am

I second that opinion. Thanks a lot Chris for doing all of that work. And yes take down the sign on the Munger Mounds.

UPDATE: 56 riders signed up for Friday....should be a fun day!!!
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 28th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Sign is removed. Trail is good to go.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 28th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Weather should be perfect tomorrow....30 F, totally sunny, minimal wind... should be a great day for a group ride. 60 people registered which is a record. I definitely didn't buy enough refreshment. If you have any to spare bring it along. Looking forward to a great day tomorrow.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby c0nsumer » November 28th, 2013, 9:50 pm

michael48197 wrote:Weather should be perfect tomorrow....30 F, totally sunny, minimal wind... should be a great day for a group ride. 60 people registered which is a record. I definitely didn't buy enough refreshment. If you have any to spare bring it along. Looking forward to a great day tomorrow.

I just registered, and I'm looking forward to it. :D Long drive, but I've never been there before, so I'm keen on seeing it.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments