Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby deezler » April 9th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Rolling Hills was in great shape today, even after lots of rain yesterday and the last few days. A couple spots left minor depressions, but definitely no deep tracks anywhere. Mostly very firm dirt, lots of dry leaves even. The park seems to have sandy soil and great drainage.

Because Rolling Hills seemed so nice, a buddy and me decided to take the connector and ride over and check out Hewen creek for the first time also. Not good! We got a ways in before it was obvious that it was not going to work out. Thought the field, being at higher elevation, would be dry, but the trail actually served as a small stream in many places. We tried to bail as soon as we could, and walked in several places. So, sorry everyone.... We left a few tracks. Back to Rolling and it was solid all the way out.

Anyway, this is my first post, just found and joined the site! Great resource. I am a total newb at mtn biking - ride an old ass FSR that a buddy gave to me. But its solid and I am having a blast. I'll try to keep checking in on the trail reports and hopefully get to a volunteer day or two here.
deezler

Postby dnale » April 11th, 2011, 7:59 pm

I live a couple miles from this trail but I've never ridden it. Is there a charge to ride in? I could ride the couple miles in from my house.
dnale

Postby deezler » April 12th, 2011, 7:30 am

The only charge at Rolling Hills is per vehicle (car / bus) for entry, or to use the water park. Biking or walking in is free! Plus you can just ride in on the connector trail from the corner of stony creek and bemis rds.
Go enjoy it!
deezler

Postby ADDam » April 12th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Just got in from an AMAZING solo night ride down to Rolling Hills park and back home. Trail was in great condition, very fast! Needs to be ridden, get out there!

-Adam
Adam G
ADDam

Postby bucky katt » April 13th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Went out there this afternoon - trail is in good shape, mostly dry, some places damp, but firm - not muddy. Even the deep mud right at the trailhead has pretty well dried out. Rode in on the new connector from Bemis Rd., which could use some more traffic - still not well-defined, needs some wheels in there to help establish the trail.

Don't forget that the end of the trail is blocked off by construction - you need to ride around on the asphalt path to get back to the parking lot at the trailhead. The detour isn't marked when you come out of the woods just past the biggest log pile.
bucky katt

Postby michael48197 » April 14th, 2011, 8:24 am

Bucky, thanks for the post reminding riders about the modified finish and the construction. Within the next week, I'll aim to put together a new sign for the end of the trail and post an updated map at the trail head.

Glad to see so many riders out this early in the year. In Ypsi Township, looks like we'll be restricted to RHP trails for then next few weeks since Hewens remains it's normal spring mess.

As I posted earlier, there will be A LOT of improvements at RHP this year. Norm Roller is planning trail expansion and the Skills Park in the northwest around the old gravel pit (maybe 1.5+ miles of new trail). Given other RHP construction, however, trail work in that area probably won't happen until late summer or the fall. While waiting for that, we'll also extend the current trail a few hundred yards along the west fence line to the NW corner of the current paved trail. If the weather holds, I may get started on this area over this coming weekend. Look for my car and the MMBA sign at the trail head parking lot and call me (734-528-1496) if you want to come out and help.

In the SE meadow, though, I'm aiming to start the trail expansion as soon as feasible to put 1-1.5 miles of trail around the perimeter. If you've ridden the Bemis Connector, you probably noticed the flags I already staked out. In contrast to the trail building at RHP to date, there will be NO hacking through the jungle, but simply rototilling and raking the surface to smooth out the furrows and make it rideable. I'm looking for a good tiller that's up for the job at local rental shops. If anyone has a big tiller to volunteer, that would be awesome. I'll post day and time when there will be a work day to start this work.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby G.Cook » April 14th, 2011, 8:49 am

Mike , checkout the local Home Depot if they have a rental shop . They rent out a rear tine self propelled tiller that puts out some real cutting power . You want a self propelled tiller , trust me . :wink:
G.Cook

Postby michael48197 » April 15th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Thanks for the Home Depot idea, Greg. I stopped by yesterday and found an industrial strength, self-propelled tiller that should work for us. Unfortunately, they require an open bed pick-up truck which I don't have...damage and liability issues otherwise they say. Also, there's only one unit at the Carpenter Road HD and they won't hold it more than 15 minutes!! Combine those issues with potential weather variability, it will be difficult to plan a work day in the SE meadow at RHP. Keep looking here for work day updates.

Anyone have a pick up truck we might use when needed? I'm also looking at other rental options for a large tiller.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mcrawfor » April 15th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Hey. Just joined and this is my first post. Hit the trail earlier today and everything looks great. How do I access from the Bemis road connection? I drove down Bemis, but it looked like the gates were all closed and there was not any parking available. Any direction you could give to this MTB newb would be great. Thanks.
mcrawfor

Postby dnale » April 15th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Rode the trail about a hour ago. Alot of small branches down. I moved several. There's alot one spot with 2 large branches to carry over. I moved the smaller stuff but this is a dead tree top that will require a saw. It's right before the paved section where the pet poo bags are. First time on the trail. I wasn't a speed demon but I'll be back!
dnale

Postby michael48197 » April 15th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Thanks for cleaning up some of the small debris. Can you be more specific about the large branches? Are you talking about the short, uphill section right after the largest log pile near Mile 3? If not, can you give another landmark or mile mark?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby dnale » April 15th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I wish I was more familiar with the trail as it was my first time out there on it. It was right before the trail crosses the asphalt and points you down the grass trail that dead ends at the construction. Got a little confused there as I couldn't find the trail so I went back up and finished on the ashpalt and found the trail again basically at the trailhead and road out to the connector to Bemis.
dnale

Postby michael48197 » April 16th, 2011, 6:11 am

OK, I know where you mean. Sorry about the trail signage at the end. I need to update the map and signs. Finishing on the pavement is now the proper finish due to construction. The trail will soon be extended up the west fence line to reduce the pavement ride a bit until a longer extension to the NW is put in place later this year. I'll put together some new signs and aim to get them laminated within the next week. I'll also try to go out tomorrow to clear that down tree.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » April 17th, 2011, 8:52 am

I cleared out the fallen tree yesterday along the west fence line about 100 yards before the large log pile. I also walked the entire trail and cleared nearly all of the small debris. However, with the wind today, there might be more work to do. If anyone is out at RHP this week, let me know if there are any new issues with fallen trees or branches.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby dnale » April 18th, 2011, 8:54 am

It seems like from the reports this trail dries fairly quickly. How bad will the recent rains (and projected rains) this week be? I'm hoping to get out this week after work now that the bike if off the trainer.
dnale

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions