Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » November 14th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Sorry. Should have stated the times. Probably 10 AM on Friday and 9 AM on Saturday.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 16th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Rode a quick lap this afternoon after we finished working. Cleared a few small leaners/widow makers in the section between the back gate and the frisbee golf course. There's more high deadwood in that area so if the storm & wind comes tomorrow like they're forecasting we'll have to swing through and make sure it's clear before the Black Friday ride.

Liked the new mini-mound at the crater. Nice work with the reroute there.

And it's great to have the upper ridge line back open. That's a challenging section, and the new route down works fine.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 19th, 2013, 1:56 pm

As ChrisInYpsi noted, we spent some time this past weekend on projects and clean up at RHP in preparation for the Black Friday Ride next week. Last Friday, I added a few small logs to the mound inside the crater at Mile 1 to properly define the line and prevent erosion of the mound. I also created a new little variant over a small mound just before the trail returns to the picnic table after exiting the crater. On Saturday, Greg C. and I created a new line to exit the ridge on the Munger Mounds. We did a bunch of bench cutting while trying to keep much of the original ungulatations on the downslope. We also removed the barrier on the entrance climb to the ridge spur, did some leaf raking and removed a small tree to open up the ridge for riding. I hope you find it a fun ride. Send me some feedback when you can.

While Greg and I were working on the Munger Mounds, Chris B. wacked away at some of the overgrowth with the Stihl trimmer along the E-W fenceline and first few mounds of the west meadow loop. Thanks, Chris.

Please remember that the main reason for originally closing and then re-routing the Munger Mound Ridge was the complaints by the neighboring house of trail encroachment on their property and loss of privacy. Even as we worked on the re-route, the house owner came out to re-iterate that issue. So, please take some care to respect the owner's concerns when riding in this area. Keep your screams of joy or fear to a minimum :wink:. Also, PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE RIDGE LINE AT NIGHT and remain in the "valley". That way, it is not likely headlights will be seen from the house which could be an issue in the winter especially when there are no leaves for a barrier. If we take some precautions, I would expect RHP management to support the MTB community if any complaints do arise. Thanks for being conscious of this matter.

Hope to see you at the Black Friday Ride next week. Please remember to sign up on Event Brite as noted in my earlier post.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm

RHP management has informed me that they will conducting controlled burns over the next few days. I hope they are done by the time of the Black Friday Ride next week.

"Areas planned for burns are Woodlot (where the red tree house is), near pond (I think this is the bluff over the pond), and both walnut prairie and underwood prairie (not sure but I think these are the open meadow inside the paved path near the start of the west meadow loop. Can't say what is order of burn or if able to get to all at this point. Steve"

I don't think they will be burning the west meadow.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 20th, 2013, 2:55 pm

REMINDER: Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride

UPDATE: 29 people signed up so far so it should be a good crowd!!!

Come out to the Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/29 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest and great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 5 miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve on your bike handling skills especially on the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about Noon. Please register in advance at Event Brite http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9026232705 to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/30 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website or the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will again be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.

RollingHillsMTB@gmail.com
Last edited by michael48197 on November 22nd, 2013, 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 20th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I just got back from clearing the trail from the storm the other day. Many trees down. Cleared them all except for one that was too big for my folding saw - it's near the start of the E-W fence line back to the Munger section. Would make for the start of a nice log-over, but if it has to be cleared it will need a chain saw or a big-ish bowsaw. Several widow-makers remain but they were too high for me to reach.

There are still many sticks and twigs on the trail. I moved the ginormous ones, but didn't have time (or battery capacity for my lights) to get everything. I'd appreciate if everyone could grab a few as they ride through the trail.

A few meadows were burned today. But not everything on the list above, so I assume there will be more burning if the rain holds off.

Also, the "closed" sign has been re-posted at the start of the upper ridge line section (at the bottom of the big hill). It's not in the center of the trail, and I haven't heard anything about it closing again so I rode through to clear debris. Everything seemed ok, so I wonder if someone was trying to help by re-posting it.....?

Except for the downed tree at the E-W fence and the sticks the trail is very rideable and in good shape.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby john_galt » November 21st, 2013, 7:59 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:one that was too big for my folding saw - it's near the start of the E-W fence line back to the Munger section.

I haven't seen it yet but I'd put in the labor to make it into a skinny, with Micheal's blessing of course. I'll take a look at it tonight.

Thanks for all of your hard work Chris!
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » November 21st, 2013, 4:20 pm

Chris,
Thanks a bunch for the trail clearing work. I don't know anything about a request to keep the Munger Mound ridge line closed so I don't know why the sign was put back. Steve is out of town, but I let him know that we re-opened that section and he usually checks his Email by iPhone.

John_Galt,
I don't mind a skinny to create another skill section. However, I'm concerned that it might not be in a good location. We don't want a skinny right next to the fence for obvious reasons. And, also I don't think it's good idea to have such a skill right next to the paved path where any joe-blow might give it a try...with possible litigious consequences. Let me know where it's located and how large it is. If location is OK, you can make it into a skinny. If large, let me know and I'll ask RHP staff to take care of it.

I'll probably head out to RHP tomorrow. I want to walk the trail to get a new GPS trace since PartTime let me borrow his Garmin. I'll try to clear more of the debris as I go along.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 21st, 2013, 5:25 pm

Here is the what's left of the tree:

It's not visible from the paved path. It's right after the two rocks maybe 15 or 20 yards from the paved intersection.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 21st, 2013, 6:26 pm

By the way, I wanted to give props to a few folks.

Last night I lost an item out of my Camelbak somewhere along the trail in the dark. I re-rode the trail late last night and then again first thing this morning after sunrise but couldn't find it. Stopped in the Park office to let them know what happened and figured there was little hope for recovery.

Got a call this afternoon that an anonymous jogger had found it and returned it to the office. Everything that was lost had been returned.

Thanks very much to the anonymous jogger and to the park office. Buncha good people that frequent RHP!
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2013, 6:44 am

That tree looks too small for a skinny, don't you think John_Galt? OTOH, a small, low skinny would be useful as a skill builder.

UPDATE: 37 people signed up so far to the Black Friday Ride. Long range weather forecast looks good (mid-30's, partly cloudy) so it should be a good party!!!
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2013, 7:33 am

Fun Promotions will again be putting on a Fat Bike Race at RHP on Saturday January 25 in cooperation with Wheels In Motion. This event is not sponsored or supported by the Poto MBA Chapter of IMBA, however. Check for details at Fun Promotions: http://www.funpromotions.com/fatbike.html and http://www.funpromotions.com/images/FATBIKESERIES_Card_Front_14.jpg.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Mikeyb64 » November 22nd, 2013, 7:43 am

So I herd that the race will not be on the MTB trail? Is that still the case?
Mikeyb64

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2013, 8:12 am

To the best of my understanding, most, if not all, of the race will take place on the mowed lanes. Some parts may the course may use the single track. Last year the weather was cooperative so there wasn't any issue with mud or too much snow on the single track so it was used for last year's race. If you didn't notice while riding RHP, the staff has mowed a wide-track around most of the perimeter of the west meadow and the smaller meadow just to the north of the west meadow for cross-country skiing. I expect that Fun Promotions will use much of this terrain especially if there significant snow on the ground. Check with Kevin LaRue at WIM as I believe he is informed on the plans for the race course.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby john_galt » November 22nd, 2013, 2:31 pm

michael48197 wrote:That tree looks too small for a skinny, don't you think John_Galt? OTOH, a small, low skinny would be useful as a skill builder.[/color]

I haven't seen it yet but yes, it does look small in the photo. Still may be able to work with it. I'll check it out this weekend.
john_galt

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments