Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » November 5th, 2010, 5:16 pm

With the current construction on the entrance road at RHP, the park remains closed for two more weeks. After that, there will still be a lot of heavy equipment moving around in the northwest side of the park. It's not clear at this time when it will be safe for civilians like us to be working in that area. I'll get in touch with the park supervisor when RHP re-opens in a few weeks to get a better handle on the construction plans. For the skills park itself, there are no firm building plans as yet. I'll aim to get an interested group together after Thanksgiving to do planning and acquire materials. Building of the skills park will likely have to wait until spring time.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 8th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Come out to the Second Annual Black Friday Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/26. Meet at the Rolling Hills trailhead parking lot at 10 AM. Avoid the shopping crowds and get off your behinds to work off the Thanksgiving Day meals and break out of the tryptophan stupor.

As with 2009's well-attended inaugural event, the ride will combine the nearby MTB rides at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks for a total length of ~11 miles. However, this year the ride includes the new 1 mile out-back loop at Hewens and the newly completed connector from Rolling Hills to Bemis Road. The connector eliminates the need to ride along the busy Stony Creek Road corridor which has no shoulder. It will officially open when Rolling Hills Park re-opens on 11/15. See the attached JPG for a schematic of the connector location.

Also, you will have a chance to see the area at Rolling Hills slated for both the MTB trail expansion and the proposed skills park. There has been and remains a lot of construction at Rolling Hills to expand the park, so new MTB work won't get started until the spring of 2011.

Keep an eye on this forum at MMBA.org for ride updates and potential weather related changes or cancellations.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby esdubya » November 22nd, 2010, 12:35 pm

Who has been out to ride the trail now that the park is open? How is it looking? Thanks
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2010, 1:42 pm

I just cleaned up and raked this weekend at RHP. I also rode RHP and Hewens Creek yesterday. Both have never been in better shape. Check out the new connector from the SE corner of the RHP trail through the field to the corner of Bemis and Stony Creek.

Hope to see you for the Black Friday ride at 10 AM.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 22nd, 2010, 2:41 pm

REMINDER: 2nd Annual Black Friday Ride, 11/26 10 AM, Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks

I'm happy to announce that Tree Fort Bikes will be sponsoring beer and pizza afterwards at the Rolling Hills lodge around Noon. Please let me know if you plan to ride so I can get an idea of the attendence.

The weather forecast is looking wet on Thursday and maybe snow showers on Friday. However, so long as it's not actually raining or the ground completely muddy, we will still have the ride. Look for an update by 9 AM via Email and/or on the MMBA Forums if the ride is cancelled.

Plan to meet at the RHP lodge beforehand to stay out of the cold and then hit the trail. After clean up work this weekend, RHP and Hewens Creek trails have never been in better shape.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 26th, 2010, 8:25 am

UPDATE: The weather is BRISK this morning and there was a good deal of rain yesterday. But the wind surely dried things up. Rolling Hills Park drains very well as does most of Hewens Creek (with the exception of a few areas which are now board walked). So, we are still on today for the 2nd Annual Black Friday Ride with beer and pizza afterwards. Hope to see you there.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 26th, 2010, 4:06 pm

A great ride today with 13 hardy riders turning out on a very crisp day. The group greatly enjoyed the ride, chatter and especially the beer and pizza sponsored by Tree Fort Bikes. It was especially good to see so many riders that were new to Rolling HIlls and Hewens Creek. Many thanks to Bob Hollen for keeping Hewens in such good shape.

Hope to see more riders at the 3rd Annual Ride next year. Keep an eye on this forum for updates on the new trail construction work coming up this spring.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » November 28th, 2010, 8:31 pm

I did RHP and Hewens today. I passed that connector, but knew about where it should be, so I circled back via the two track to the pond and started over. Found it, and went to Hewens, came back and finished RHP. Here's a vid of the connector:

Steve_Balogh

Postby esdubya » December 2nd, 2010, 9:20 am

Rode the trail Saturday, wow, it is looking great! Also found the connector. Combined this with the "Augusta" ride in the Dirt Road Washtenaw County book (which is a great resource BTW). 22 miles on dirt roads + one lap at Rolling. I still need to ride the Hewens Creek..
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby Mr.B » January 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm

are these two trails and connector open for winter riding ? has anyone been ?
Mr.B

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 18th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Looks like I forgot to post, I was there two weekends ago, did some snow riding there. Huge crowd of Frisbee Golfers that day, saw one other biker aways behind me. Open for riding and the connector was open. I didn't do Hewens but did ride out in the connector.
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 am

To "Mr. B":
Yes, the Rolling Hills MTB trails are open whenever the park is open throughout the winter. Given the current snow coverage, the winding terrain may prove a challenging ride, however. In fact, I rode a few weeks ago on 2" or so of snow and end up falling 3X in one lap due to the slippery conditions! While the trail is technically open, please refrain from riding if there is a quick thaw and the trail is muddy. Under these conditions (muddy surface over permafrost), it is VERY easy to get pizza-cutter tracks which are labor intensive to repair. Also, the same warning applies for late winter/early spring rides...that is, keep off the trails if muddy.

To all:
I'll be posting in the next month or so regarding RHP developments for 2011...and there will be a lot with trail extension in both the southeast meadow (we may get to lay 1.5-2 miles of trail in the entire meadow) and northwest quadrant (1-2 miles of trail and start of the skills park). Key an eye on this forum for details. I'll again be looking for some laborers this year to make these concepts turn to reality.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » March 12th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I rode over to Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek this morning for a recon hoping that the trails might be firm and passable in the early morning. Unfortunately, both the HCP and RHP trails are either still snow covered (up to 4-6" in the woods at RHP) or VERY wet and muddy. I know we all have spring fever and we're dying to get on the trails after a long winter. However, let's keep off the trails for a few more weeks until the permafrost melts out and the surface water can drain away.

Hope to see you out at RHP this year. We'll be busy with trail expansion (1.5 miles in the SE meadow, 1.7 in the NW) and build the skills park. Here's hoping for spring.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » March 26th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I walked through the first mile of RHP this morning to find that all the snow is finally gone. The trail has wintered well and there were just a few sticks and face slappers which I cleared. If anyone walks/rides the remainder, let me know how it fared this winter, especially if there are any large trees to remove. It doesn't appear that there have been many riders during the spring thaw days which is good. Since this week is expected to be cold, RHP will be prime for morning or night time riding when the ground is frozen. Take care to avoid making 'pizza cutter' tracks if the ground thaws especially at the highly visible trail head where the surrounding soil is very, very soft from regrading last fall.

We're now starting the process of expanding the RHP trail for 2011. While the Skills Park may be of greatest interest to the MTB community, it takes great planning, engineering, money and cooperation with other stakeholders. It will be a slow process through the Spring and Summer of 2011 to finalize the plan which Norm Roller is coordinating for the MMBA.

However, we have the green light to begin laying down trail in the SE meadow where the Bemis Road Connector was put in last year. The RHP management is reviewing a sketch I provided which has a perimeter trail around the outside of the meadow (~0.75 miles) and 4 optional inner loops which should add another 0.5 miles in total. Once approved, all we need to do is run a rototiller across the terrain to tame the furrows and hand grate it. The outer loop work could start as early as the weekend of April 16...look for a work day notice from me. In fact, if you ride out to the SE meadow on the Bemis connector, you will see that I flagged the perimeter loop this morning. After it is completed and joins up to the Bemis Road Connector (at the corner of Stony Creek and Bemis Roads), we will then turn our attention to the inner loops, probably in May and June. If all goes well, the trail will be extended 50% to 4.5 miles by June. After adding the NW area extensions, the RHP trail might reach 6-6.5 miles by the end of the year!!!

Happy riding!!
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ADDam » March 27th, 2011, 1:20 am

Michael, Thanks for the update, with an overnight temperature of 20 degrees... I think I may take spin out in the morning! Looking forward to helping out with some trail days this year.

Adam

Edit: Had a GREAT ride this morning! Went out at 8am, the trail was solid as a ROCK! Looks like the next 3-4 mornings will offer good trail conditions.
Adam G
ADDam

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions