Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 7th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Rode RHP today for the first time in several weeks. Trail is firm and fast and really fun. Our trimming from a month or two ago (where did the summer go?) is generally holding up really well.

Michael, if I can borrow the Stihl trimmer again I'd like to make few passes knocking the goldenrod leaners back by the E-W fence leading to the Munger mounds. Should only take an hour or so. Of course if someone else would like to take care of them that would be okey dokey as well.

And my offer still stands to help with signage.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby joyota » September 16th, 2013, 7:55 am

Just rode RH for the first time this Saturday (9/14). ChrisInYpsi's report on it last week still holds true today.

What a great place to ride. I had no idea there was such a fun MTB trail so close to me.
joyota

Postby michael48197 » September 21st, 2013, 8:21 am

ChrisInYpsi,
Call, Email, PM or text me anytime if you want to use the Stihl trimmer. I also agree that we need to replace much of the signage that was put in place originally 3+ years ago. It's amazing that the paper laminate lasted this long in some places. If you have the time and energy, maybe you can put together a list of signs and how many of each are needed. I am sure we can get some money from the Chapter or have RHP management help out.

My schedule with work and family has been crazy since the last work day in late July. I'm quite pleased that work has held up well and it's not going to be necessary to mow again. We need to reroute the ridge line in the Munger Mounds, but my weekend schedule may not free up until early November....sorry. I'll put together a plan and call for a work day when I'm available.

After nearly a month away, I rode RHP last weekend and can confirm it's still in great shape. So much so I surprisingly set a PB of 29:15, nearly a minute faster than my previous best. I cruised the first lap and pushed it a bit on the second and was shocked to see the time especially since I wasn't at my limit. It definitely helped that the temperatures were a perfect 60 F or so.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Kazie » September 21st, 2013, 1:11 pm

I am more than happy to chip in for the new signs. I ride the trail multiple times a week throughout the year. And I feel compelled to give back. Please let me know how I can fork it over.

michael48197 wrote:ChrisInYpsi,
Call, Email, PM or text me anytime if you want to use the Stihl trimmer. I also agree that we need to replace much of the signage that was put in place originally 3+ years ago. It's amazing that the paper laminate lasted this long in some places. If you have the time and energy, maybe you can put together a list of signs and how many of each are needed. I am sure we can get some money from the Chapter or have RHP management help out.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 2nd, 2013, 8:49 pm

Rode a few laps tonight and did a survey of needed signage. Michael, I'll send you an email to discuss how we move forward.

Trail is still in good shape. Surprised at the number of leaves that have fallen already. We should probably consider a trail day prior to the Black Friday ride to do some minor touchup and trimming. Nothing major needed, but a half day with a good crowd could get things in tip top shape and maybe reroute the ridge too.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 10th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Trail is riding well. Last week's rain helped.

The mushrooms growing on the log pile near the back gate are some of the largest I've ever seen. Amazing.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby bk246 » October 24th, 2013, 9:44 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Rode a few laps tonight and did a survey of needed signage. Michael, I'll send you an email to discuss how we move forward.

Trail is still in good shape. Surprised at the number of leaves that have fallen already. We should probably consider a trail day prior to the Black Friday ride to do some minor touchup and trimming. Nothing major needed, but a half day with a good crowd could get things in tip top shape and maybe reroute the ridge too.

How's it going with putting up new trail signs to mark the correct/intended route? I am new to mtb'ing, and last time at RHP was also first time. Found myself riding in circles as trail apparently doubled back on itself multiple times. Eventually got frustrated and had to bail out onto the paved path. Also, trail map published online is very dated and obviously does not reflect changes due to re-routing and addition of new sections. Can you advise on if and/or when you will at least be able post new trail markers?
Current bike: 2012 GT Karakoram 2.0 29'er, upgraded w/ XT rear der.; SLX crankset
1st mtn bike: Mongoose 26'er from Meijer
Previous bike: 1970 Fuji 10-speed, whereabouts unknown; sister took it to college where it was promptly stolen.
1st 'serious' bike: Schwinn Stingray single-speed w/banana seat
bk246

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 24th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Waiting to coordinate plans with the TC and the park. I don't want to go off and install things on my own without their buy-in. I believe Michael has been super-busy with personal matters this summer/fall. We'll get it done as soon as possible.

In the meantime if you'd like to ride through RHP together to help find your way let me know. It's actually a fairly straightforward trail to follow compared to many others. I'm pokey slow but I'd be happy to ride with anyone needing directions.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm

bk246 wrote:
ChrisInYpsi wrote:Rode a few laps tonight and did a survey of needed signage. Michael, I'll send you an email to discuss how we move forward.

How's it going with putting up new trail signs to mark the correct/intended route? I am new to mtb'ing, and last time at RHP was also first time. Found myself riding in circles as trail apparently doubled back on itself multiple times. Eventually got frustrated and had to bail out onto the paved path. Also, trail map published online is very dated and obviously does not reflect changes due to re-routing and addition of new sections. Can you advise on if and/or when you will at least be able post new trail markers?

Sounds like you took the Frisbee Golf Paths on accident. I''m thinking you got lost after the crater (Easy/Hard option). Once you exit that the trail switchback's immediately left. There should be a little sign with an upside down U showing this, unless it's gone.
Later, when you get to what appears to be an end with a fence along the left side, the trail makes a 90-degree turn left that follows more fence line on the left going towards Munger Road.

Those are two places I can think of where one would get lost.
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » October 25th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Indeed, I have been extremely busy through the late summer and fall: two international trips for work in the last three months and other before Christmas, a kid off to college and an 86 y.o. mother...'nuff said.

Chris,
Call me and we can figure out signage. I'd be happy to have you lead this effort. It's amazing that any of the original signs are still around as most are three y.o. laminated paper.

BK246,
Welcome to the RHP community. As Steve B noted, there are really only a few places to get lost: at the crater at ~1 mile and at the left turn out to the west meadows. At basically every crossing of the paved or grass paths, the MTB trail takes up again on the opposite or near opposite side. The only real exception is the crater and the Bemis Road Connector at ~0.6 miles. You could take a left there after crossing the grass path to head out to Bemis and towards Hewens Creek. Or you cross the grass path, stay straight, loop to the R and then L on the grass path to cross the wood bridge and finally R into the woods again. It's not that well marked, but the trail tread is fairly obvious...although leaves may obscure things a bit this time of year.

Regarding the trail map, we need to get a high resolution GPS of the trail to produce a new map. Although several RHP riders have sent me GPX files, none are detailed enough. Since the trail is so twisty and doubles back on itself, recording a GPS layout while riding will simply never work. The first version of the map was recorded with a Garmin 60 series hand held set to record 1X per second while I was walking the trail at a relatively slow pace. That lead to 4500 data points in 2.4 miles compared to 2300 data points for the 4.7 miles of the current trail someone recorded for me while riding. If anyone is willing to loan me a GPS unit, I'll do the walking to get the data.

NOTICE: Remember the Black Friday Ride is coming up on 11/29 at 10 AM. Look for details here in the next week on registration at EventBrite like last year.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 30th, 2013, 5:58 pm

I think the map below from Michael's post on 5/4/2013 is plenty good enough to get around the trail if the "future expansion" bits can be removed. Michael, can you post a new copy with all but the blue and yellow (goan.... poor choice of colors!) removed?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 30th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Quick vid from the Munger Mounds last weekend:

http://vimeo.com/78148484
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » November 2nd, 2013, 9:04 am

Come out to the Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/29 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest and great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 5 miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve on your bike handling skills especially on the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about Noon. Please register in advance at Event Brite http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9026232705 to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/30 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website or the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will again be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
RollingHillsMTB@gmail.com
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 13th, 2013, 9:00 pm

With the Black Friday Ride coming up on 11/29, there are a few projects I would like to complete beforehand. I intend to work on them this weekend and next if necessary and if the weather allows.

On Friday, I plan to modify the small mound in the crater at 1.0 Mile. Originally, the trail tread veered slightly right at the top of the mound and back to the left. Over the past two years, however, riders have been going over the top of the little mound. This summer it started to get very sandy and I even fell a couple of times on it. So, I plan to put a small log at the top of the mound and force traffic to the right back to the original line.

On Saturday, I want to start a bigger and more important project: Munger Mound Ridge Re-Route. I spent some time with Steve Wyatt last weekend and we agree to a modified line to avoid the back yard of the RHP neighbor's yard. Steve also found some pressure treated lumber for us to use in building up the bench cut that will be needed on the down slope off the ridge. So, if you have the time and energy this weekend, come out and give me a hand. Please let me know in advance if you can make it either Friday or Saturday.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 13th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I should be able to make it on Sat for 4-5 hrs or so. If you bring the Stihl brush cutter I can do some final clean up as well.

What time are you starting?
ChrisInYpsi

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments