Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » July 30th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Thanks for the update. I'll get out to RHP this weekend to ensure that RHP staff know where the trees to be cleared have fallen.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » July 30th, 2010, 9:54 pm

I rode the trail tonight, only encountered the mess near the end of the trail that's before the paved traill crossing where you hit the long wide straightaway before getting into the last segment of singletrack at the end. The mess is unpassable, you have to ride back and get on the pavement to the straightaway. Other than that was a great ride. Little bit of overgrowth on the hill overlooking the pond, but not too bad.
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » August 3rd, 2010, 7:22 pm

It's that time of the year again...time to do some trail maintenance at RHP. I plan to head out there on Saturday morning 8/7 to do some mowing, trimming and weed wacking and cleaning up the detritus from the recent fallen trees. Join me if you can. Let's get an early start to beat the heat and meet in the trail head parking lot at 8:30 AM. Be sure to bring lopers and pruners and wear long sleeves and long pants to protect from the bugs and poison ivy.

If possible, let me know in advance if you plan to join me so I can plan the work activities. Call me at 734-528-1496 or seen me an Email. Hope to see you at RHP at 8:30 AM.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 5th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Last night, I finally rode the RHP trail for the first time in more than a month. I'm happy to report that all the trees are completely cleared. A small about of debris and small deadfall remains here and there, but none of it inhibits riding in any way. Generally, the trail is in great shape with some long grass and flowers in a few areas and a couple of face slappers. With a decent sized work crew, all that should get cleared during the work day this Saturday.

It's hard to believe the trail is less than a year old. The trail bed has been ridden in nicely and it's quite smooth...except for the last washboard section which will be rerouted in the fall or early next spring when the RHP road extension project begins. Overall, the trail continues to get good feedback. Let me know your thoughts on the trail for problem areas and improvements.

Hope to see you on Saturday 8/7 at 8:30 AM for the workday.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 9th, 2010, 5:51 am

There wasn't a big turnout for the workday on Sat. However, we were still able to trim and mow the first section and last section before the parking lot which really needed some work as it hadn't been done at all this year. We also weedwacked and raked the bluff over the pond which had a lot of Queen Anne's lace, sumac and Black Eyed Susies overhanging the trail. Based on my last ride through, these three sections were the most critical. We really hacked them back so they should be OK for the rest of the summer as the growing season is starting to wane.

I'll aim to get out again next week to work on some of the meadow sections in the first mile and the large meadow on the west side after the 2.0 mile mark. Let me know if you see any other critical areas. Also, if you see any face slappers or small deadfall on your next trip out, please try to clear them out. Contact me if you have time to do any trail maintenance work and need some work tools.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 19th, 2010, 11:08 am

I'm planning to do some mowing and trimming at RHP this Saturday. Come out and join me at 8:30 AM if you are available. As usual, wear long pants and long sleeves to protect against bugs and poison ivy.

Hope to see you there. Call me (734-528-1496) on the trail if you arrive late to find the location of the work area.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby dnallen » August 20th, 2010, 10:55 am

michael48197 wrote:I'm planning to do some mowing and trimming at RHP this Saturday. Come out and join me at 8:30 AM if you are available. As usual, wear long pants and long sleeves to protect against bugs and poison ivy.

Hope to see you there. Call me (734-528-1496) on the trail if you arrive late to find the location of the work area.

Hello,
I plan on attending tomorrow morning at 830. Should I bring anything specific?
Dan Allen,
dnallen

Postby michael48197 » August 21st, 2010, 6:29 am

Great!! Glad to have the help and company. Just bring protection from the sun, bugs and poison ivy...well, maybe a yard rake. I've got trimmers, pruners, a mower and weed wacker. See you at 8:30ish...I might be a few minutes late as I need to get gas for the mower.

Thanks.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby dnallen » August 23rd, 2010, 12:16 pm

I apologize for the no-show on saturday morning. I ran into some complications. I wasn't able to get out there untill late sunday evening. The conditions were great! Would it be possible for me to take a weed wacker, etc., into the park and assist in the upkeep? I would enjoy spending time doing that before I ride.
Also, do you know if there are plans to expand the trail? I'm interested to know about the process from the planning phase onward.
dnallen

Postby michael48197 » August 23rd, 2010, 2:04 pm

We were able to mow and trim ~1.5 miles of trail before the rain really settled in on Saturday. So, when combined with work on the start and bluff sections from a few weeks ago, the trail should be very well groomed for the first two miles to the back gate area and the last wash board section. The last mile on the west side of RHP still needs some work. Let me know if you have the time and inclination to work on it. I hope to be out again next Sat. to finish the work. With the growing season waning fast, RHP should then be set for the remainder of this year excluding blow down and other storm detrius.

Keep me informed of any issues out at RHP.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » September 4th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I went through the last mile or so of RHP today and trimmed back all the face slappers, the overhanging golden rod and the drying Queen Anne's lace. The weather was perfect with no bugs at all. I was pretty aggressive with the trimming in some areas...I figure that I either trim it now when the new shoots are small and 'green' or next year when they are larger and woody. With the exception of the southwest meadow, trimming and mowing of RHP should be done for the year as the growing season is basically over. I asked the RHP staff to do a quick job with the wide deck mower in the SW meadow.

Now we can start to focus on RHP trail expansion plans. The first step will be to lay out and cut the connector trail from the SE corner of RHP along the meadow outside the RHP fence and through the tree line along Bemis to the Stony Creek intersection. Hopefully, we can get that done this fall. In the long term, there will be another connector close the main RHP entrance to Hewens Creek, but that require Washtenaw County Parks to buy some land...so it's a few years away realistically.

Also this fall, we plan to begin the staged expansion of the RHP MTB trails which will occur when the final expansion plans for the park are done. Initially, we will layout some new trail in the northwest meadows (about a 1/4 mile square!) and begin planning the location and layout of the skills park. Check out the area on Google Maps...all the maps were recently updated so you should get a good lay of the land. The skills park will likely be just W of the old sand pit. The wooded area along Munger opposite Osprey and Whimbrel covers several acres and is full of mounds from construction debris...like the RHP 'crater' only 50 times larger!! Lots of possibilities for a fun trail over there. The meadow sections should be fairly easy to lay out and mow so we might be able to get that area done in the spring of 2011 and then look to extend the trail more towards the wooded section and those mounds in late 2011.

If you want to get involved in either new trail building or the skills park, drop me a line at "mconnolly62@yahoo.com". Even if you have already indicated such interest to me, please reconnect so I'm sure that I have you on my mailing list.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » September 5th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Washtenaw County Parks has plans for a major expansion of Rolling Hills Park in Ypsilanti Township. The expansion will nearly double the park size using most of the land purchased in 2006 and 2007 to the north of the current park. See the map of RHP on the first page of the Rolling Hills forum on the MMBA website or at the WCP site (http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/de ... ps/rh.html). Planning has been underway for nearly two years and is now ready for the construction phase. I was informed today by Steve Wyatt - RHP Supervisor - that bids were just opened for the first phase of improvements (roads/parking lots/soccer fields/paved trails/etc) and construction is planned to begin the last week of September.

Here's the important part!!! Rolling Hills Park will be closed to public use from Monday, September 27 through Monday, November 15. Park closure will allow the contractor uninterrupted construction access to complete the existing main park road improvements before the end of this year's construction season.

Unfortunately, the park closure interferes with prime riding season. Most likely, it will also prevent the MMBA contingent from getting into the park to plan and begin building the MTB trail expansion and skills park until after mid-November. We might be able to access the park and work on a proposed connector trail in the southeast corner of the park to the Bemis Road-Stony Creek Road intersection allowing easier access to Hewens Creek. Stand by for more details on MTB trail planning and building activities.

Contact me with any questions.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby bucky katt » September 22nd, 2010, 8:50 am

Mike - there's a fallen tree in a hazardous spot about 1.5 miles into the trail, right at the point where you're heading back into the woods when coming off the top of the bluff, a short distance after the second easy/hard option. It's up off the ground immediately after a tight fit between two upright trees and on first approach, looks like you could duck under it. You can't. Don't know if anyone can address this before the park closes Monday, but thought it should be noted.
bucky katt

Postby michael48197 » September 27th, 2010, 1:47 pm

REMINDER: RHP will be closed to the public from September 27 to November 15 for major park expansion plans. Come back in November to catch a few more fall rides before winter sets in.

[Bucky, thanks for pointing out the fallen tree. Didn't have time to get to it this weekend. We'll do a clean-up day before reopening the trail in November.]
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby monroefreerider » November 4th, 2010, 12:06 pm

when is the skills park going in? I'll help every night if i can.
rubber side down is a plus
monroefreerider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions