Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby john_galt » July 11th, 2013, 11:19 am

The downed tree is in the middle of the section before the big log pile. The trail is parallel to the fence. The tree was actually on the residential property and fell through the fence and into the park property.
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » July 11th, 2013, 2:40 pm

OK, thanks. I'll let RHP staff know about it. I think we had one in the same area two years ago.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » July 11th, 2013, 4:35 pm

John_Galt suggested and I agree that the downed tree can be turned into a new "skinny". John_Galt will work with Steve Wyatt and RHP staff to trim the tree, rotate it along the trail and secure it in place.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChristianM » July 13th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Road the trail yesterday about 4pm. Couple wet spots, give it a 3.5 out 5 for dryness. Good amount of the trail is overgrown with plant life from all that rain. Hard to see trail it spots, notably the climb up the bluff by the pond. Another area where plants are above head level and actually was scraped on forum from plowing through. And yes fallen treen major obstacle, had to limbo underneath.
ChristianM

Postby john_galt » July 13th, 2013, 12:10 pm

The lake bluff is mowed & trimmed . Sorry didn't have enough time to do the grassy Bemis and west fence sections.
john_galt

Postby parttime » July 13th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Bemis connector is mowed. It wasn't real bad, but man was that tortuous w/ a reg'lar walk behind mulching mower. Had to go sloooow.

ChrisInYpsi wrote:I have a small folding 4'x8' trailer that I assume is large enough for the brush hog rental. I will likely be working this weekend, but I might be able to find enough time to help deliver/return the brush hog if someone is available to help and run the thing through the park. Sat preferred.

That trailer should be fine, I think the cutting path of the brush mower is only ~30" or less. My 6x10 trailer is way overkill, although you are welcome to use it. It requires a 2" ball and flat 4pin connector, has 2x10 'ramps' and is a little redneck

john_galt wrote:
Has the staff put up any signs

Didn't see any but I haven't been out since Sunday. The big tree was still down too.

I did not see any signs out there Wed night, and there was no debris blocking the hill climb.

john_galt wrote:
michael48197 wrote:Are the west meadows totally over grown now?

Yes, most of the trail in the NW property is overgrown. Some other riders have told me that they've been skipping the NW trails.

This could potentially be done w/ a couple of stihl trimmers, If we grab one of the chapter's other trimmers (I think we have another?).The worst part of the main meadow is around the drainage pond, is mostly wildflower and all should go relatively quickly. The whole main meadow only took me about 45 mins with a mower going slow earlier this year. Also, some of the mounds areas will be difficult to get to with the mower. Maybe see what can be done with 2 trimmers and someone to rake for half a day in the singletrack mounds area, not including the main meadow? Just a thought. I might be able to get to the main west meadow for a couple hours tomorrow evening (Sun 7/14) to see how slow it goes. I will be out of town next weekend though.
parttime

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 13th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Rode a few laps for the first time in several weeks tonight. No issues with water, and the areas that have been mowed/trimmed recently are great. Still a bit of work needed in the orig trail sections, and the newer mound and meadow sections are quite bad with heavy grass at shoulder height in many areas. I skipped the whole Munger loop on my second lap.

There is now signage and brush blocking the new upper ridge line in the mounds. Both the start of the section at the bottom of the hill and the end of the section where it rejoins the end of the skinny mounds are blocked. Looks like the park gave us a timing goal for the reroute too:

Also, the skeeters are out in force. Great night for a ride though.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby mpw29er » July 13th, 2013, 11:24 pm

I went for a ride around 6:00 pm this evening and the trail was nice and dry. There was a decent amount of overgrowth in certain areas as Chris had mentioned. The mosquitos were bad when I stopped to repair a busted chain about 2 miles in, up until that point I had no bug issues.
mpw29er

Postby michael48197 » July 20th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I spent about 5 hours today at RHP doing some trimming with the Stihl. I finished the first 100 yards of the 2nd section from the gravel road to the S-bend. Then moved over to the west fence section. I started at the end of the section at the "four corners" and worked backward along the fence past the large log, the downed tree (yes, it's still there) and down to the bottom of the swale about 150 yards from the start of the section. At that point, both the trimmer and I ran out of gas.

I was surprised how thick some of the undergrowth and canopy had become. There were quite a few areas where overhead grape vines were forcing the canopy down quite a lot. All the rain and warmth have been fabulous for growth. I trimmed back all the branches around the downed tree so it should be easier to get under it now. I'll remind Steve Wyatt that the tree needs to be removed. It is certainly too big (over 14") for any MMBA chainsaw. I can't image how John_Galt is going to move the main trunk of the tree to make a skinny!! And that trunk will need a chainsaw not a hatchet to flat top.

Parttime tells me that he will be aiming to bring the brush mower out to RHP this week. It's been a busy summer for everyone including me it seems, making it difficult to get the right hardware to mow the meadow. I would just be a waste of energy to try to use the Stihl on a mile of thick meadow. The meadows are particularly pretty, however, with all the Cone Flowers, Black Eyed Susies, Queen Anne's Lace, etc.

Parttime,
If you do get out to RHP this week, please try to mow the end of the second section from the grass path back to the bottom of the hill. And if you have time, mow the first 100 yards of the third section and the first 1/4 mile of the fourth section from the wood bridge to the grassy bluff. I know it's a lot to ask, but I still don't have the push mower yet. Thanks.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby john_galt » July 20th, 2013, 6:58 pm

michael48197 wrote:I can't image how John_Galt is going to move the main trunk of the tree to make a skinny!! [/b]

I will use magic. And some advice from the master Tree Farm TC...
john_galt

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 20th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Went for a ride tonight for the first time all week (sigh...). Nice job with the trimming Michael. Sill more to do but the trail is very rideable up to the meadow/mound sections. Actually the mounds are fine but the meadow in and out is waaaay overgrown. Looks like someone started cutting it back in a few sections but didn't get very far. I skipped that loop on my second lap since I got all scratched up from the tall thorny stuff, but it sure was beautiful to ride through at sundown.

It looks like I'll be in town after all tomorrow and might have some time for trimming. Michael, I'll shoot you a text to pick up the Stihl trimmer if I get a chance.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » July 21st, 2013, 1:40 pm

I did a lap today except for the west meadows. As ChrisInYpsi noted, the trail is in pretty decent shape except for a few areas that need trimming on the west side and a few overly grown grassy areas which need a mower. There's been so much growth this year, you can't even find the old access road that goes towards the back gate by Munger!!! Watch out for slick spots and a few locations where it is sandy. All the rain has led to some little washouts and some muddy areas. Amazingly, I actually fell twice: once in sand and once sliding on some mud.

ChrisInYpsi,
If you head out there to do some more trimmIng, I suggest you work on the section from where you finished the last time to where I finished yesterday. Then if you have time, work on the fence section headed west through the trees along the fence to the beginning of the meadows, the short trail section between the first dirt skinny and the first mound (there's no way to get the brush mower in there), the first and second mounds after the Munger gate, the loop around the freestanding conical mound and finally any part of the serpentine area of the main Munger Mounds that need some trimming. I think the brush mower can get most of the rest of the areas. I know you won't get to all of that, but I just wanted to give some order of priority.

Parttime,
I think I'm going to take the day off on Friday. Maybe we can figure out how to get the mower on Thursday night so I can use it on Friday. If we have to rent it all weekend, then we will do that so we can get this work done with whomever can help.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby parttime » July 22nd, 2013, 12:42 pm

michael48197 wrote:Parttime,
If you do get out to RHP this week, please try to mow the end of the second section from the grass path back to the bottom of the hill. And if you have time, mow the first 100 yards of the third section

I'm not sure I know where these are.

michael48197 wrote: and the first 1/4 mile of the fourth section from the wood bridge to the grassy bluff. I know it's a lot to ask, but I still don't have the push mower yet. Thanks.

I know where this is. I was also thinking about taking out the short stump on you left right after the bridge, right as you re-enter the singletrack. Any objections, I don't think it's really a tech feature.

I think I'm going to take the day off on Friday. Maybe we can figure out how to get the mower on Thursday night so I can use it on Friday. If we have to rent it all weekend, then we will do that so we can get this work done with whomever can help.

Thursday evenings are probably the worst evenings for me, but we could try to work something out. I'm not sure it's an all weekend job, and would also love to have parts of Hewen's hit to help keep the bad stuff under control. Please call or email if you want to set something up, I haven't been checking this regularly and I don't get notified every time there is a response to the thread for some reason.
parttime

Postby michael48197 » July 23rd, 2013, 6:35 am

parttime wrote:
If you do get out to RHP this week, please try to mow the end of the second section from the grass path back to the bottom of the hill. And if you have time, mow the first 100 yards of the third section

I'm not sure I know where these are.

After putting together a new GPS and map for RHP, I'll put numbers on the sections because naming them can sometimes get confusing especially in Miles 2 & 3. The numbers just correspond to crossings of mowed, gravel or paved paths at RHP. So, Section 2 runs from the gravel road down the hill and back up the first grassy bluff to the grass lane crossing at the ~0.5 mile mark. Obviously, Section 3 is the next one after the grass lane through the woods and then back to the grass lane.

parttime wrote:
michael48197 wrote: and the first 1/4 mile of the fourth section from the wood bridge to the grassy bluff. I know it's a lot to ask, but I still don't have the push mower yet. Thanks.

I know where this is. I was also thinking about taking out the short stump on you left right after the bridge, right as you re-enter the singletrack. Any objections, I don't think it's really a tech feature.

Actually, that should be Section 5, not 4. Section 4 is the short 100 yard bit where the Bemis Connector splits off. And, yes, feel free to remove the residual root at the start of Section 5 after crossing the wood bridge. That tree was cut out after being crushed by deadfall last winter.

parttime wrote:

Thursday evenings are probably the worst evenings for me, but we could try to work something out. I'm not sure it's an all weekend job, and would also love to have parts of Hewen's hit to help keep the bad stuff under control. Please call or email if you want to set something up, I haven't been checking this regularly and I don't get notified every time there is a response to the thread for some reason.

I'll get in touch by cell phone. I'll also see if I can work out something with ChrisInYpsi.

Turns out the push mower sustained a lot of damage after I ran over a stick or stump...bent driveshaft, bent blade, sheared off a pin in the drive. So, it will cost more to fix than the mower is worth if you include labor. I'll get approval and pick up another used mower. No point in getting a new one and abusing it with trail maintenance.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby G.Cook » July 23rd, 2013, 7:39 am

Might I suggest one of these ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Troybilt-string ... 258066d1d2
You can try mine out if you would like. Works great on the Poto.
G.Cook

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments