Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » June 6th, 2010, 6:17 am

Carl Loomis and I spent about 7 hours at RHP on Sat. hacking away at the jungle that has grown up with all the rain and warm weather this spring. We mowed, weedwacked and trimmed nearly 2 miles of the trail, stopping at the back gate. Hopefully, all that work will last a month or so until the growing season starts to slow down in July/Aug.

I have work and personal commitments in the next two weeks. If anyone has the time, energy and inclination in that period to continue trimming and cleaning up the RHP trail, let me know and I'll arrange to get you a weedwacker, pruners, lopers and/or the push mower.

Also, I finally finished up with the kiosk by mounting the Info Box for 'take-away' trail maps (see my post from Sat. 5/29). If anyone wants a copy of the map and/or the GPS data file let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby twoINtheSky » June 19th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Rode RHP for the first time yesterday eve. Great work to all! It is a very nice little trail. I will be hitting this up on the regular. Hope to make the next trail work day if I can get it to fit around work. Will be really cool when Hewens is linked up.
twoINtheSky

Postby michael48197 » June 21st, 2010, 11:02 am

Rolling Hills Park now has a listing in the MMBA Trail Guide ([url]http://mmba. org/index. php?option= com_trailguide&task=trail&cid[]=107[/url]). The Trail Guide listing includes a JPG of the trail map as well as a link to a GPX file for downloading to your GPS unit. Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » June 28th, 2010, 10:21 am

I've been sidetracked with real life lately so I haven't been out to RHP in the past three weeks. If anyone has been riding there and has seen any problems, please let me know ASAP. I should have some time later this week and the weather looks promising.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby twoINtheSky » June 30th, 2010, 8:29 am

Rolling HIlls is in great shape. A bit overgrown through the last strip after you do the 200yard stint down the grass lane. You almost cant see the trail looking down.
twoINtheSky

Postby michael48197 » July 1st, 2010, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, that last section didn't get any attention in our late spring mowing/trimming session. I was out there this AM and trimmed a few branches at the end of the last section. I'll try to get out on Sat. to mow/trim the last section.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » July 1st, 2010, 2:12 pm

Norm Roller and I meet with Steve Wyatt - RHP Supervisor - today to discuss RHP expansion plans. Washtenaw County Parks (WCP) has nearly completed the design plans for the first phase of expansion of RHP to the north towards Merritt Road. WCP plans to expand the water park, add soccer and baseball fields, a maintenance area, a open-air ampitheater and, most importantly, re-orient the entrance road and create a large loop road. The road will turn north from its current position, cross the open meadow in the NW of the current park and then form a mile (?) long loop to the NW then N, E south of Merritt and S back towards the current entrance road E of the water park. Phase 2 of WCP plans are less clear, but there will still be park space available for development along Merritt...MTB and otherwise. Construction work could start as early as September.

Why does the MTB community care? Looks like we'll loose the last section of the current MTB trail to the new road...no great loss with all that washboard! However, we will be adding a lot of awesome new terrain N of the current trail on the W fence line and then W towards Munger ~ 1/4 mile and N again another ~1/4 mile or so. Although the expanded MTB trail is not yet laid out, there is an old gravel pit, acres of open meadow for high speed trail and the skills park and a surprising amount of wooded area to use. In fact, I was shocked and happy to find several treed sections full of old dirt mounds. When properly and sustainably developed, these sections will be like the current Crater at RHP, but 30 times bigger area!! It seems reasonably clear that we can add 2-3 miles of additional trail in the NW section out to Munger with both single track and the skills park. There should be new trail interesting to all ability levels - flat meadow/prairie, ungulating mounds for novices and the skills park for advanced riders.

We plan to begin laying out the new trail in the fall once the leaves start to fall, the location of the expanded park road is finalized and the current Hewens Creek expansion is completed. After getting an understanding of the drainage in the fall and spring and correcting the trail location as needed, we should be able to start cutting new trail by spring 2011.

One significant RHP MTB trail update planned in the next few months will be a temporary connector to Bemis Road. RHP actually includes the open field to the SE bordering Bemis and Stony Creek Roads. RHP management has given us permission to create a link from the current trail across/around these fields to Bemis Road near the Stony Creek intersection. This link will eliminate the need to ride along Stony Creek with its high speed traffic to reach RHP from Hewens Creek and vice versa. We hope to lay out the connector within a month and complete it by the end of the summer. In the long run, WCP wants to purchase land or get an easement for a direct connection to Hewens Creek straight across Stony Creek. That could be some time off, however, hence the temporary connector.

There will be a lot of work to expand RHP MTB trails especially with the skills park and engineering the trail through the mounded forest sections. Keep an eye on this forum for updates and timing of trail work. Please contact me directly if you are interested in helping with the skills park especially.
Last edited by michael48197 on July 2nd, 2010, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby esdubya » July 2nd, 2010, 8:57 am

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Trail is looking GREAT right now. Thanks again for all of your efforts Mike (and Carl).
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby esdubya » July 12th, 2010, 9:08 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else has been timing their laps out here, care to post your time(s)? Today was 22:30 on the 1st lap and a 20:16 on the 2nd. Still working on the best way to hit a few of the features out there. The only area needing work is the last bit between the grass path and the parking lot.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby twoINtheSky » July 14th, 2010, 11:01 am

I dont recall exact times, but I usually see mid 19's and 20's for 1 lap. I always do the "hard" options as well if that helps.
twoINtheSky

Postby cbur1650 » July 26th, 2010, 6:34 pm

BEWARE: the trail is unrideable
There are at least 4 chainsaw sized trees that need to be cut.
There are three in the first 300 yards- one is big enough that I had to cut through the woods to go around
The fourth is by the west end by the last big log pile. It is so big ,it engulph the whole trail. no way around. I had to go back and join the paved path.
The trail is covered with lots of debris from the storms.
There are several low branches that are even lower.

I am really liking this trail. I have been to it 5 times in the last 2 weeks.
Let me know if some help is needed to get things "rolling" again

Chris
I love my Kona
cbur1650

Postby hotspurr » July 27th, 2010, 11:59 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update on trail conditions. I will try to get to the Park on Thursday or Friday when it is a little cooler and remove the downed trees.
If you would like to help with trail upkeep, please contact Micheal Connelly, the trail coordinator. I'm sure he will welcome the help. In the meantime, if you have the chance to broom rake any of the debris off of any sections of the trail, I am sure it would be appreciated.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby esdubya » July 28th, 2010, 8:45 am

I jogged the trail yesterday and yes there are still many trees down, with a good amount of debris. By the way, is the trail bike only or mixed use?
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

Postby michael48197 » July 28th, 2010, 9:21 am

Chris,
Thanks for the heads up regarding the downed trees. I've asked the Park Supervisor to lend a hand in clearing them. And also to cut the remainders into 4' lengths for log pile maintenance and new builds. So, between the park crew and Norm, the trees should be cleared by the end of the week. I hope to get out to RHP this weekend and early next week to begin a second round of summer maintenance. Email me back to let me know if you are available to help out with mowing, trimming and weed wacking.

"Esdubya",
The trail is indeed multi-use. Ideally, MTB riders go clockwise and walkers/runners go counter-clockwise. However, I haven't really put up appropriate signs to indicate that preference. If you think it's a major issue, let me know and I'll put some signs together.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mbmoehl » July 30th, 2010, 7:35 am

Since i was in the area yesterday i thought it'd be a good idea to bring the bike and check out the finished trail. It's still pretty much in the same condition that Chris described. There's a small tree down 3/4 mile in, if it was on the ground it could be ridden over, but its up to high. Also the three with several trunks is down 2 3/4 miles in (this is from the parking lot) and like Chris said it takes up the whole trail. Overall though the trail is nice. A bit tight in some area's, tighter even than Highland. Once it's rode in more it will be a lot better.
RACING GREYHOUNDS
mbmoehl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions