Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Rolling Hills Park

Postby michael48197 » April 4th, 2010, 3:40 pm

To 'BrickWall00':

Regarding the flow at RHP, we wanted to take advantage of the undulating terrain and build the trail in the most sustainable way (i.e., limiting errosion in sandy soil) on the limited acreage to which we had access. Hence, the twisty, technical terrain. Feedback has been mainly positive and most riders seem to like the challenge and being forced to concentrate on the riding line. In the RHP expansion plans I discussed in an earlier post, the MTB trail will head to the northern, currently undeveloped, section of RHP to both an old gravel pit (i.e., a 'skills park' perhaps along the lines of Stony Creek Metro Park) and to some old orchard land which will bring in the flat(ish) terrain and straighaways that you requested.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 4th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Hmm, no wheezing, maybe this is going to be a good year for me :mrgreen: Been riding all winter regardless of snow depth. Anyways - to get some good "straightaways" I did ride the paved trail and some of the dirt two-tracks to see what the rest of the park is like, pretty nice setup. I didn't go to Hewens, but I remember on that opening group ride last fall you can get some nice mileage in riding out to Hewens. So there are opportunities readily available for more mileage, and you can go as fast as you want on the roads.

Only concern I have about this trail - the one downhill that crosses the two-track dirt path that also goes downhill. The brush blocks the view of the path on the right. When I did my first lap there was a kid coming down that path on a scooter pretty fast. I crossed way before he reached me, but I'm thinking that brush is going to be a safety hazard as things start growing. Not sure how to describe the location, but there's only one path crossing like that.

Now I'm really glad to have moved to Canton (6 years now)- Morty-T, Olson, now RH&Hewens as well as Maybury, I've got more trails to ride. Should be getting in more dirt rides during the week, which is something I've never really been able to do before.
Steve_Balogh

Postby michael48197 » April 5th, 2010, 10:59 am

Steve,

Not sure to which crossing you refer. I believe I counted TWENTY-SIX of them (!!) including walk paths between golf holes, grass 2-track and paved paths so they all blend together. I'm guessing you refer to the crossing at ~1.7 miles which crosses the downhill gravel road near the pond? Make a note of the mileage next time you are out at RHP and we can look at opening up the line-of-sight. Not sure what a scooter is doing out there, however!

Unfortunately, several crossings are a tad blind which is the reason for the signs, albeit small, at each crossing noting that riders should stop and check for pedestrians. While I recognize actual stopping is inconvenient and unlikely, the signs are intended as a warning.

Michael
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby tstefani » April 5th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Hi, I just got into mountain biking late last year and over the winter was doing some searching and I was just wondering why this trail wasn't on the main Trail Guide page?? any idea if we could get this trail on that page?
tstefani

Postby michael48197 » April 5th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Regarding putting RHP on the "Trail Conditions" forum and in the Trail Guide, simply put, we ain't got to it yet.

RHP is a brand new trail. We just completed its current layout of 3.1 miles around Thanksgiving. We are working to get an updated GPS of the trail and, in cooperation with Washtenaw County Parks, will produce a map in the next few weeks, hopefully. Simultaneously, we are working with the MMBA webmaster to create a listing for RHP in Trail Conditions and the Trail Guide. Until both those steps are complete (by the end of the month?), keep an eye on this forum.

Contact me directly with any questions or comments on RHP.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby tstefani » April 6th, 2010, 5:58 am

ok thanks Michael
tstefani

Postby coleholley » April 6th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Rode the trail on my bmx bike today and i was surprised, it was actually pretty fun and offered some little fun challenges, good job to everyone who worked on it
coleholley

Postby michael48197 » April 6th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Update on Trail Work Tuesday 4/6:

- finished clearing the downed tree at ~1.3 miles. Thanks to whomever started the process by breaking off the top branches. Another tree is overhanging the trail, but it's easy enough to duck under slightly. If it becomes a problem, I'll have park staff cut it down for us.
- built a small log ramp in the first section using the remnants of the tree RHP staff cut down for us two weeks ago.
- bench cut the off-camber climb and widened the exit of one of the sharp S-bends at the end of the first section. Give it a ride and send me feedback.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trial Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby pDubs » April 7th, 2010, 4:48 am

First rolling hills ride was last weekend. Trail is getting to be in amazing shape, it was great weather and the hills were hilly!
Definitely different feel entirely from other local trails like olson. The uphill switchbacks provide good aerobic intensity, and the flow is more like torn shirt than it is olson park. My cross bike holds up unusually well to the trail, except for when my shoulders scream after the final section.

One of the smaller logpiles, located right after a sharp turn, seems to be on a pretty hard angle to the trail flow.
Just wondering if that was intent of the feature, not really complaining, but I bit it trying to hit it straight on twice.

The newest work done sounds great, I wish I didn't have class Tu night. Itching to get back out and ride RHP!

side note: any local bmx/mtb/freeriders thinking this place would be perfect with a pump track/skills course? post your thoughts/ideas!
pDubs

Postby michael48197 » April 7th, 2010, 8:17 am

To "pDubs":

Glad to hear your positive feedback on the trail. The washboard bumps in the final section are on the list of 'fixes', but not the top priority.

Let me know to which log pile you are are refering. I assume you mean the one near the rear gate on Bemis Rd. at ~2.0 miles. Yeah, the angle is a bit awkward, but I think the slope of the pile (~12" high), at least on a mtn. bike, is OK. With the large tree across the path and a tree on the left a short way before the sharp right turn, it would have taken A LOT of work to change the entry angle to the log pile. We intend to build a larger log pile across the fallen tree, but need to have RHP staff transfer some logs back to that area and also to get out there with a larger bladed chain saw to cut up some logs for the pile. The larger pile (maybe 20" high) when completed will have an easier entry angle, but we will have to work on the exit side.

As for a BMX or pump track, there are plans to build a MTB 'skills park' in the expansion later this year to the north/NW in the old gravel pit area. Plans are in the works with Washtenaw County Parks. Send me your contact info and I'll add you to my RHP E-mail list. We'll be happy to have your input for the skills park and your labor to help build it.

PLEASE NO FREE LANCING at RHP or, for that matter, at Hewens Creek where some free-lancing has already been done (albeit not bad work). BMXers, free riders and cycle crossers are welcome on the trail, but all work should be monitored and approved by the trail coordinator (myself at RHP and Bob Hollen at Hewens Creek)...liability, sustainability and park relationship issues.

Keep the feedback coming.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby pDubs » April 7th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I want to second Michael's sentiment about working on trails without consulting the coordinators, and encourage all the builders to come out on official trail days. The trail coordinators are open to new ideas, and are very friendly, no point in ignoring them!
pDubs

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 7th, 2010, 7:17 pm

pDubs wrote:.....

One of the smaller logpiles, located right after a sharp turn, seems to be on a pretty hard angle to the trail flow.
Just wondering if that was intent of the feature, not really complaining, but I bit it trying to hit it straight on twice.

Would that be this logpile?

Steve_Balogh

Postby coleholley » April 7th, 2010, 8:53 pm

The pump track and skills park seems like a great idea, especially for us BMX'ers. haha. I would be willing to help as much as I can but Im still in school and playing baseball so I dont know how much I could get out and help but my email is coleholley@yahoo.com if you wanted to let me know when you guys are in need for some help and what the ideas are.
coleholley

Postby pDubs » April 7th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Besides the large log pile right before the gravel road to the last section, there are only two others that I can think of. I think it's the other one. Probably not an issue, though.
pDubs

Postby esdubya » April 9th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Awesome to see this new trail. I have been playing disc golf at RHP for about 12 years. Now I can bring my bike along and get both activities in :)

I will also be out at the park in the next few weeks to help redesign/add holes to the disc golf course and I understand that some people from the MTB community will be there as well. I'm working with RHP super. Steve W. to schedule a day during the week of April 19.

To me it seems that disc golf and mountain biking can exist in a harmonious manner. Has anyone had any problems or issues from disc golfers while riding? Can you identify anything to keep in mind when designing new golf holes that must peacefully coexist with trails? I can't think of anything but it doesn't hurt to ask the question. I also am involved with the new disc golf course at Independence Lake, and it is my understanding they are looking at adding mountain biking as an activity. I know the staff there pretty well so I can setup introductions if needed.

Thanks!
Avid mountain biker and pro disc golfer Scott White
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson
esdubya

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions