Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby Mikeyb64 » June 14th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Watch out for the attacking birds around the pond in the munger field.
Mikeyb64

Postby dnale » June 15th, 2013, 11:23 am

Watch out for the ticks. Picked up one. Was nice to get out. Last ride I had was down in Cleveland last week. Such a different ride down there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby Mikeyb64 » June 15th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Just found one crawling around in my gear from yesterday. I also had one bite my leg
Mikeyb64

Postby jeepskate » June 15th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:Watch out for the attacking birds around the pond in the munger field.

:D I knew they were close but I didn't realize how close they were getting. That was interesting!
jeepskate

Postby dnale » June 15th, 2013, 9:33 pm

How long do ticks live on "gear"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby Mikeyb64 » June 17th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I made a new segment on Strava today. It's called Bird Attack! It starts when you go through the trees at the Munger pond. The birds wait in the trees and ambush you when you make the left-hand turn out of the trees. At the right-hand turn on the north side of the pond the birds catch up to you and start dive bombing you so don't slow down here. The segment ends at the top of the hill on the south east side of the pond. The birds usually give up chasing you here. Good luck!

Strava RHP Bird Attack!
Mikeyb64

Postby ChrisInYpsi » June 18th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I don't do Strava but I'm a proud member of the "attacked by birds near the pond" club.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » June 21st, 2013, 5:02 pm

It's been a BUSY spring for me. I finally had some time today to do a bit of trail maintenance. I started mowing the first section, but unfortunately the push mower crapped out after about 15 minutes when I ran over a largish stick. Probably sheared off something in the drive train since it wouldn't start again. So, I ended up using the Stihl trimmer, but it was slow work. I did the first section, about half of the second section and most of the grassy knoll in section 5 before the trimmer and I both ran out of gas.

Parttime, are you still planning to get the brush hog out there? Did you mow already? If possible, can you mow the second section backward as far as you can starting from the grass lane and the start of the third section? Thanks.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » June 25th, 2013, 4:45 pm

I heard from Steve Wyatt - RHP Supervisor - today. Unfortunately, he has informed me that the park neighbors to the N of the Munger Mounds have complained about the new ridge line. Apparently, they feel the MTB trail is encroaching on their privacy and that the trail gets too close to the fence. Steve doesn't want to close the section because it's a great feature. He has asked us to find a way to re-route the W-to-E section after making the R turn in the far NW corner closest to Munger. I looking to get specifics from Steve, but I think we will have to find a way off the top of the mound somewhere just above the right/east turn of the original trail in the "valley". That wouldn't be so bad since we would link back up to the trail and still ride the dirt "skinny" section. Such a re-route will probably require quite a bit of engineered bench cutting, however. And I don't know when I'll be available to do that as my summer is crazy busy with work and personal commitments. So, Steve has suggested that we close off the whole section until the re-route has been completed. Not a choice anyone likes, but it's not our park. Before that happens, I'm going to meet with Steve later this week to make some choices on the re-route.

This situation means that the whole berm idea at the bottom of the hill at the end of the mound ridge is dead. Please DO NOT proceed unless notified otherwise by me.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Mikeyb64 » June 25th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Lame sauce. So how far off the fence do they want us?
Mikeyb64

Postby Steve_Balogh » June 26th, 2013, 5:12 am

What if you plant more trees/vegetation to block the view?
Steve_Balogh

Postby john_galt » June 26th, 2013, 7:24 am

This may not be all that bad if we can keep most of the ridge line and re-connect to the trail with a design that is more flowy than the current slam on your brakes, 90 deg turn at the bottom of the hill...
john_galt

Postby Mikeyb64 » June 26th, 2013, 7:52 am

john_galt wrote:This may not be all that bad if we can keep most of the ridge line and re-connect to the trail with a design that is more flowy than the current slam on your brakes, 90 deg turn at the bottom of the hill...

I was hoping we could change that angle with the berm we were going to build... :(
Mikeyb64

Postby john_galt » June 26th, 2013, 8:07 am

Mikeyb64 wrote:
john_galt wrote:This may not be all that bad if we can keep most of the ridge line and re-connect to the trail with a design that is more flowy than the current slam on your brakes, 90 deg turn at the bottom of the hill...

I was hoping we could change that angle with the berm we were going to build... :(

The situation sucks indeed, however when we're forced with a re-route there's not much we can do except think of improvment points that will result in an even beter trail.
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » June 26th, 2013, 11:38 am

I am planning to meet Steve Wyatt on Saturday to discuss a re-route on the Munger Mounds. As noted by John_Galt, we have to make the best of this situation. The trail goes up the ridge so, short of closing the section completely, we have to find a way off of it. I'll let you all know what is decided this weekend. In the short term, we might need to close the section until the re-route is completed. We'll see.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments