Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby jeepskate » May 29th, 2013, 6:14 pm

michael48197 wrote:
jeepskate wrote:
michael48197 wrote:
Mikeyb64 wrote:Did a full lap with the new stuff in 25:43. 8)

25:43??? I was pretty close to my limit at 30:54. I might get down to 29:45 by end of the summer, but no where near that time. If you tell me you did 25:43 on a single speed then I'll quit MTB riding!!!

Is this only valid if mikeyb does that time ss? :D the previous KOM was just under 26 minutes on their last ride at rhp, ss 26er.

One caveat: I'll take a handicap for me getting to be an old fart. I figure 60 seconds for every five years in age difference. So, at nearly 51 y.o., my PB lap is really 25:42 so I'm actually leading compared to a 25 y.o., for example. Since I'm the RHP TC, I get to set the rules. :D

Haha that is more than fair! Thanks for all the work you do.
jeepskate

Postby john_galt » May 30th, 2013, 8:43 am

michael48197 wrote:Creating a good berm might work be starting with a couple of good logs, arrange them in the right shape and then back fill some soil dug up from elsewhere.

The dirt in the big mounds has a lot of clay in it which would be perfect for the berm. I can make the berm but I have mowing to do that is a higher priority. If I can find time to mow my section in the next couple weeks I can get to the berm after that. If someone has a bee in their bonnet and would like to build the berm now, I have a wheel barrow they can borrow.
john_galt

Postby shopsonian » May 30th, 2013, 11:43 am

Is the trail ridable today, with all of the rain this week?
shopsonian

Postby john_galt » May 30th, 2013, 11:45 am

shopsonian wrote:Is the trail ridable today, with all of the rain this week?

Yes. RHP handles rain like a champ.
john_galt

Postby parttime » May 30th, 2013, 3:19 pm

john_galt wrote:
michael48197 wrote:Creating a good berm might work be starting with a couple of good logs, arrange them in the right shape and then back fill some soil dug up from elsewhere.

The dirt in the big mounds has a lot of clay in it which would be perfect for the berm. I can make the berm but I have mowing to do that is a higher priority. If I can find time to mow my section in the next couple weeks I can get to the berm after that. If someone has a bee in their bonnet and would like to build the berm now, I have a wheel barrow they can borrow.

Let me know when you're going to work on the berm, I would like to help. I also have some mowing to do beforehand... :D
parttime

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 30th, 2013, 3:38 pm

parttime wrote:
john_galt wrote:

Let me know when you're going to work on the berm, I would like to help. I also have some mowing to do beforehand... :D

I would also like to help build the berm.
Mikeyb64

Postby john_galt » May 30th, 2013, 9:03 pm

^ Ok, cool. I didn't want to take this on by myself. I'm estimating at least 8 wheel barrows of dirt to build an 18 inch berm. The keys to a good berm is good dirt and proper radius. And like Michael said, don't make a water dam.
john_galt

Postby ryanmcg » May 31st, 2013, 5:19 am

I can probably give you guys a hand as well.
ryanmcg

Postby ChrisInYpsi » June 1st, 2013, 4:05 pm

Just finished a few laps. Trail is tacky and generally ok for the moment. A few greasy spots and only a couple small ~1' long puddles.

The only section you might want to avoid is the new upper mound ridge line. It's quite slick and slippery. Ride down thru the original valley line instead. If we don't get much more rain tonight the ridge should be ok by tomorrow.

Bring a set of hand loppers and grab a few slappers on the way thru.

And I'll be happy to help build the berm as well.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » June 4th, 2013, 7:17 am

Been a busy few days so I didn't get a chance to post until now. Rode three laps at RHP on Sunday AM in awesome late spring weather with a cool breeze and NO bugs. Didn't see another rider and only a few walkers. The trail was drying quickly at that time - probably dry now - but the Munger Mounds were still slick. Was the first time I did three laps (averaging 4.75 miles/lap) in the current configuration and I'll tell you I definitely felt it the next day. The 14.3 miles of trail riding certainly feels like more especially adding the 4+ miles each way to and from my house.

Thanks to all who have been working on face slappers. The first two miles are quite clear. From the Bemis gate at 1.8 miles until west fence section ends at 2.7 miles, however, there are quite a few face and knee slappers. Luckily, there aren't any thorns, but there is a bit of poison ivy. So, if you get a chance, please prune back any face slappers you see. The trail does need some mowing now. I may get out this weekend, but I could be delayed until the weekend of 6/15. Let me know if you want to borrow the Stihl hedge trimmer or push mower (it seems to work OK, but sometimes has an issue with the automatic choke when it gets hot).
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby parttime » June 7th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Finally got the blade mount fixed on my mower and drug it out to RHP only to have it not-start. So the fields are still overgrown for the weekend. I'll be out of town again for part of the weekend, so I'm going to rent the brush mower early next week for some meadow mowing. If anyone has any requests as far as locations to be mowed, let me know and I will see if I can get to it w/ the brush mower. I will also probably try to hit parts of Hewens.
parttime

Postby john_galt » June 9th, 2013, 9:10 am

parttime wrote:If anyone has any requests as far as locations to be mowed

Bemis connector
john_galt

Postby john_galt » June 9th, 2013, 9:29 am

Mowed most of the 2nd mile including sections that we didn't cut last season. Mower over-heated at the grassy section after the lake bluffs. I prioritized which sections to cut based off how badly overgrown they were which paid off because I got all the worst sections before the mower pooped out.
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » June 9th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Thanks to John_Galt for mowing. Parttime is planning to rent a big mower this week. Send him a PM and let him know what parts you missed and he will try to do them if he has time after mowing the west and SE meadows.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby parttime » June 13th, 2013, 3:37 pm

michael48197 wrote:Parttime is planning to rent a big mower this week.

Ran out of time this week. Postponed 'til next week, probably Tues. eve, Wed a.m. :D
parttime

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments