Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby parttime » May 18th, 2013, 10:56 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:I found 3 ticks on my legs after my ride, but I also rode thru Hewens so I'm not sure if they were from RHP or Hewens. Regardless, be sure to check yourself really well after your ride.

I also had half a dozen ticks on my legs the other day while mowing/trimming at RHP.

john_galt wrote:We have a log ride now :D . She's in the section after the gravel road.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks great and can't wait to try it! What did you use to shave the top of the log?

michael48197 wrote:Beautiful day at RHP today. Trail was in great shape...nearly bone dry and fast. The new mounds section is riding in nicely. So much so that I'm thinking that it doesn't need more work. It's bumpy and tight but that makes it interesting and challenging. What do you think?

I think it could use a little work/tweaking, but I'm a pansy... (and it is rideable as-is)

I saw only one other rider out there today. I managed 30:54 today which is a minute faster than my previous best.

Strava! (or it didn't happen!!11!!!) :D

On my second lap I was cruising at a decent speed to 33:20 but got blown past by the aforementioned other rider. He must have been on a 28:00 lap so my ego got put back in its place. :cry:

That was probably jeepskate......

Looks like RHP staff mowed most of the west meadow...or was that you Parttime? Regardless, we are definitely in prime growing season now. Lots of face slappers and knee scrappers out there. My weekend schedule is pretty booked up for the next month so I'll probably squeeze in some trail maintenance in the evening with the Stihl trimmer and push mower. Let me know if you have the time and inclination to come out and help me or to borrow the tools on your own.

Parttime, when do you think you can wrangle up the brush hog? There's still a lot of areas where it could be used.

That was me a few days ago using my regular mower. I wasn't able to get everything that I wanted to get to, because after the 4th rock strike, one blade mount gave up the ghost again. I ordered an extra one last time so all I have to do is replace it and I should be able to get to the SE meadow and a couple more parts I was gonna try near the mounds (I will have to make some 'mower shortcuts') this week. Cleaned up the tight turn near the 'pond' in the west meadow, and also walked and cleared the trail leading down the fenceline into the Munger area because my mowing had been cut short.

Let me know if you need me to pick up the brush mower for you, but I will be out of town this coming weekend.
parttime

Postby john_galt » May 18th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Looks great and can't wait to try it! What did you use to shave the top of the log?

A hatchet. I was hoping to keep it natural and uncut but the diameter was just a little too small. I rode it before I cut it about 20 times and couldn't get more than half way. Cleaned it in about 5 tries after I cut it.
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » May 18th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Parttime,
Thanks for mowing the west meadows. I wasn't sure who did it. It's not bad yet, but the open areas along the E-W fence before and after the first mounds will needs some mowing. That area was particularly thick with Goldenrod when it was first cut last year. As for the mound ridge, it's supposed to be hard and sap the energy out of you. I just don't want it to be dangerous. Maybe we can smooth out one or two of the dips and widen the track on the last climbing section past that tree and as it turns the corner at the top.

I don't have a GPS unit yet so no Strava for me. You'll just have to take me at my word. I'm honest. Really. Maybe I can get the wife to get me a GPS for my BD. Anyone have a good recommendation for a bike mount or wrist GPS? Cost?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 19th, 2013, 11:45 am

The new slides in the waterpark look fun. Will make for a great way to cool off after a long ride.

Did a quick lap this morning. The upper mound line is really riding in nicely. I think we just need some infill in the valley between a few of the mounds to lessen the compression at the bottom. Other than that it might be good to go for a while.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby john_galt » May 20th, 2013, 7:26 am

The Bandit line in the crater has been rebuilt. I rode that section Thursday and it was not there. While walking the paved path with the fam on Friday, I saw 3-4 BMXers enter at the trailhead. Rode Saturday and the bandit line was there. Hate to put blame without direct evidence but the coincidence would be pretty amazing.

Anyway, these guys weren't "punk kid BMXers", they were grown men in their 20's. So, if I may offer a suggestion, how about extend an olive branch to these guys and invite them to a trail day or arrange a meeting to talk? A sign could be placed in that section with contact info and some MMBA propaganda. Maybe these guys are the right people to coordinate the long talked about skills park? Or maybe we could just get a little more help with trail work.

Thoughts?
john_galt

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

This explains the ticks. http://www.annarbor.com/pets/ticks-pets-dogs-cats-humans-how-to-prevent-illness-bites/

@michael48197
I like my Garmin Edge 500. Battery life is great, but if I was shopping around for a new GPS I would get the Garmin 510 or 810. Garmin just updated their line and the Edge 510 & 810 are the new models. The 510 & 810 are touch screen and have way better UI than the outgoing 500 & 800. I highly suggest to pick up the heart rate chest strap and the speed/cadence sensor no matter what model you get. The best feature of the new models is cell-phone integration. It adds in live location tracking (great for family), fitness sensor tracking (PRs like Strava), as well as weather information from your phone.

This guy does great reviews if you wan to learn more. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
Mikeyb64

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Hard to believe it rained this week from riding the trail tonight. It's dry and ready to go. I brought my fatbike expecting some mushy spots but found none.

Lots of face slappers so grab a few as you go. It was nice to see John Galt and Michael out tonight on slapper patrol.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 24th, 2013, 7:54 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Hard to believe it rained this week from riding the trail tonight. It's dry and ready to go. I brought my fatbike expecting some mushy spots but found none.

Lots of face slappers so grab a few as you go. It was nice to see John Galt and Michael out tonight on slapper patrol.

After riding RHP today I went to Home Depot and bought some pruning tools and was planning on doing some trimming in the AM. Will there be anything left? :wink: I was also planning on taking a shovel to a few spots in the upper mound.
Mikeyb64

Postby michael48197 » May 25th, 2013, 7:06 am

Mikeyb64 wrote: After riding RHP today I went to Home Depot and bought some pruning tools and was planning on doing some trimming in the AM. Will there be anything left? :wink: I was also planning on taking a shovel to a few spots in the upper mound.

I appreciate you being proactive in making the trail better. There are definitely still some face-slappers out there, but much fewer and less severe than before John_Galt, ChrisInYpsi and I went through yesterday. However, I'm thinking that the upper mound should be kept in as primative state as reasonable. That climbing turn needs a wider benchcut especially as the rider passes the tree on the right, but there are only one or two compressions that I think should be SLIGHTLY modified. Don't "top" the bump, but find some dirt to the side to fill in and pack down the swale. If you really feel like putting in a lot of time and energy, you could try starting to build up a berm at the bottom of the hill at the end of the section. Great care will be needed if building a berm to prevent forming a dam and retaining water. If you do it, you definitely can't excavate in front to push soil up into a berm. That will just create a trough for water. Creating a good berm might work be starting with a couple of good logs, arrange them in the right shape and then back fill some soil dug up from elsewhere.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Saturday I trimmed almost everything I could reach for the first 2 miles. I took me way longer that I was expecting so that's as far as I got with the trail work. I saw about 10 rides out there while I was working. There are a few new lines and a jump in the crater area. Ticks are still out so keep checking. Trail is rocking today. Did a full lap with the new stuff in 25:43. 8)
Mikeyb64

Postby dnale » May 26th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Dang you guys are killing me. I've been reassigned to the Cleveland area and I miss riding my in back yard

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 26th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:Did a full lap with the new stuff in 25:43. 8)

Yow..... Nice!
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » May 28th, 2013, 7:36 pm

25:43??? I was pretty close to my limit at 30:54. I might get down to 29:45 by end of the summer, but no where near that time. If you tell me you did 25:43 on a single speed then I'll quit MTB riding!!!
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby jeepskate » May 28th, 2013, 8:46 pm

michael48197 wrote:

25:43??? I was pretty close to my limit at 30:54. I might get down to 29:45 by end of the summer, but no where near that time. If you tell me you did 25:43 on a single speed then I'll quit MTB riding!!!

Is this only valid if mikeyb does that time ss? :D the previous KOM was just under 26 minutes on their last ride at rhp, ss 26er.
jeepskate

Postby michael48197 » May 29th, 2013, 6:48 am

jeepskate wrote:
michael48197 wrote:

Is this only valid if mikeyb does that time ss? :D the previous KOM was just under 26 minutes on their last ride at rhp, ss 26er.

One caveat: I'll take a handicap for me getting to be an old fart. I figure 60 seconds for every five years in age difference. So, at nearly 51 y.o., my PB lap is really 25:42 so I'm actually leading compared to a 25 y.o., for example. Since I'm the RHP TC, I get to set the rules. :D
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments