Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby john_galt » April 30th, 2013, 12:06 pm

michael48197 wrote:- Section 2 from the crater thru the bluff and back to the Bemis Road gate (how about John_Galt since you already did the rock garden?)

Works for me.
john_galt

Postby parttime » May 1st, 2013, 9:04 am

michael48197 wrote:- Section 4B any open area in the west meadows and the Bemis connector (how about Part_Time since you have the mower and trailer?)

I should be able to handle this, but may need some help during the high growth times.

michael48197 wrote:Part_Time has a bush hog to mow open spaces or even some wooded areas if you can transport it.

I actually don't have a brush mower, I just rented one mutiple times last year to take care of Hewen's and RHP. It can be found at Carpenter Brothers hardware on Plymouth Rd in Ann Arbor. It is big enough that you need a trailer (or pickup) to transport it, and you need a credit card for the rental deposit. It is definitely the right job for really overgrown areas!
parttime

Postby michael48197 » May 1st, 2013, 10:04 am

Parttime,
When it comes time to mow in a few weeks from now, let's plan to make a weekend of it. If you can get the mower for two days, then we can take care of everything we need to mow at RHP. The center, more open area of the west meadow doesn't grow that fast I think because the soil is so poor. The sections along the E-W fence, however, get some shade and have better soil, so meadow growth is quite fast and thick. I think we should plan on mowing once per month from mid-May to mid-August and then maybe at the end of the season in late Sept or early Oct. Thanks for agreeing to help out.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 2nd, 2013, 6:51 am

33:00 ...that's my best time thus far including the mound ridge along Munger which totals 4.7 miles on my bike (not including the Bemis Connector). Conditions last night were absolutely perfect except for a few soft spots (along the fence ~150 yards past the large log pile on the west fence section, along the E-W fence at the start of the west meadow loop) and some standing water at the top of the rise after the kettle pond before the paved path. I was surprised to find myself the only rider - at least I didn't see others - at what I thought would be peak riding time after work. I made it up the ridge mound - barely - but granny gear was needed for sure. The ridge mound definitely drains me of power as my second lap was about two minutes slower than the first. The trail has gotten so long - or I have gotten slow (!!!) - it's hard to find the time to ride 4 miles over/back to RHP and do more than 2 laps. Funny...I remember riding the original 2.7 mile configuration at ~24 minutes when it first opened. It used to be very slow due to the bumpy, but soft soil conditions. It's amazing now how fast the "old" part of the trail is when you know all the turns intimately and it is well ridden-in.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 2nd, 2013, 8:20 pm

Did a 32:35 lap tonight - my best yet with the new ridge mound line. Like Michael mentioned yesterday, I was the only rider tonight which seems crazy on such a beautiful day. Trail is great except for the muddy spot after the pond at the end. There are a few trees that seem to be slowly leaning across the trail little by little but for now they're ok. The meadow sections are starting to grow in earnest now after the rain and warm temps.

Looks like the new slides are gonna be fun in the water park.

Michael, I feel really bad that I can't commit to adopting a section of the trail. I will continue to attend trail work days as I'm able, and I always ride with a hand saw to take car of small obstacles as I encounter them.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » May 4th, 2013, 6:49 am

31:50 last evening....over a minute faster than my previous best. I'm targeting 30:00 by end of the year when I'm fitter and new trail tread is more ridden-in especially going out to the far NW corner and the mound ridge. Trail condition was near perfect yesterday...very fast for the first 2.7 miles to the L turn out to the west meadows. With a bit of refinement that mound ridge line is going to be awesome. Looks like the trail is seeing plenty of riders but I didn't see any again last evening.

BTW, I didn't mention it regarding our last trail day: we fixed up the small mound at the end of the E-W fence section just where the trail touches the two track before the S-bends leading to the first mounds. That small mound wasn't rideable because the dip between bumps was too deep. We filled it in some a few weeks ago so if you stay to the left it makes for a nice little feature to ride over instead of the R-L turn around it that we had before. I mention it because with the grass growing fast it is clear that few riders are going over the mound now.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 4th, 2013, 10:23 am

I got tentative approval from RHP to extend the trail in a large northern loop up to Wiard's and back. I have sketched out a tentative route that will add 1.5 to 1.7 miles (white) to the current trail (blue and yellow) in the attached image. The proposed northern loop (white) generally follows outside the paved path along the fence line, but may cross to the inside on the E-W section parallel to Merritt. The pink line is a sketch of the new park road and the green (1.0 miles) and orange lines are proposed additions in the SE meadow. I see two ways to end the northern loop: remain on a N-S track and follow the tree line down to the paved path W of the Lazy River or turn W and then S following the tree line to rejoin the current path after the kettle pond (purple). I want to stay fairly close to the paved path and preferably to the outside so we won't have to relocate the trail if there is further development of the north meadows by RHP managers in the future.

I don't expect we will do any work until the fall beyond flagging the track. A lot of the new trail will involve mowing and perhaps rototilling so we should be able to lay down the track fairly quickly. The only section we might do sooner is the first N-S section up to the little tree line (~1/4 mile) where we could double back on the paved path to finish past the kettle pond. Ride around on the paved paths, take a recon of the area and give me some feedback.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 4th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Trail was in great shape this afternoon, dry, fast, I cleaned all of the new sections on my fatbike - those are breaking in nicely. There was a rut in the mudhole by the road, I flattened that out by riding through it a few times - the sun is drying that out, will probably be solid tomorrow.

One ugly thing happened to me before the large logpile: Going uphill into a switchback my bike's rear tire kicked up in the air, felt something weird catch my right pedal, almost sent me into the brush, but I didn't crash. Went back to look at what I hit - was a 7-8" stick someone stuck into the ground on the right side of the trail. My right pedal came down on top of this "pungee stick" which was strong enough to take that impact. I never saw it, thankfully my right ankle didn't get speared by this booby trap. I pulled it out of the ground, clear to me this was placed by someone, was not random deadfall. If I had been on my 29r, I would have probably gone through the brush and faceplanted the tree :evil:
Steve_Balogh

Postby shopsonian » May 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Trail looks great. Haven't ridden there is a few weeks. 21min to the fence line, 33min total, but missed the new big mound turnoff. This is becoming a really nice trail. I could cut some time off with better legs/lungs, but also with knowing the trail better and better handling, so to me that's a good trail. The chimichanga for lunch and the enchiladas for dinner right before the ride probably didn't help either. :lol:
shopsonian

Postby dnale » May 11th, 2013, 10:57 am

Rode this morning after dropping my sister-in-law off for the color run. The trail was damp but not real muddy. I finally rode the brand new mound section. Wow is that fun. The start surprised me and with it being a little damp I didn't have the traction or momentum to make it up. No way am I posting my time with the speed demons on the site. I did have 4.85 miles on the bike computer.

The poison ivy is starting to pop up so be aware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby Mikeyb64 » May 14th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I finally made it out there on my MTB. I haven't rode the RHP single track since the first trail day. Trail is riding fast. Even the new munger section felt fast. There are a lot of slappers out there so watch out. I also found a tick on my leg. I noticed it on the sidewalk after the munger mounds. That's the first time I've seen a tick out there.
Mikeyb64

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 15th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Rode RHP for the first time in a few weeks after being out of town on business. Trail is in good shape. The undergrowth is really popping up on the first couple miles but nothing too bad yet. Kudos to whomever mowed the the trail in the meadow by the mounds. It's great to see a line riding in up in the new mound ridge line - that new section is a blast!

I found 3 ticks on my legs after my ride, but I also rode thru Hewens so I'm not sure if they were from RHP or Hewens. Regardless, be sure to check yourself really well after your ride.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby john_galt » May 17th, 2013, 11:31 am

We have a log ride now :D . She's in the section after the gravel road.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
john_galt

Postby michael48197 » May 17th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Now that's a SKINNY skinny !!! Luckily, it's not high off the ground.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » May 17th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Beautiful day at RHP today. Trail was in great shape...nearly bone dry and fast. The new mounds section is riding in nicely. So much so that I'm thinking that it doesn't need more work. It's bumpy and tight but that makes it interesting and challenging. What do you think?

I saw only one other rider out there today. I managed 30:54 today which is a minute faster than my previous best. On my second lap I was cruising at a decent speed to 33:20 but got blown past by the aforementioned other rider. He must have been on a 28:00 lap so my ego got put back in its place. :cry:

Looks like RHP staff mowed most of the west meadow...or was that you Parttime? Regardless, we are definitely in prime growing season now. Lots of face slappers and knee scrappers out there. My weekend schedule is pretty booked up for the next month so I'll probably squeeze in some trail maintenance in the evening with the Stihl trimmer and push mower. Let me know if you have the time and inclination to come out and help me or to borrow the tools on your own.

Parttime, when do you think you can wrangle up the brush hog? There's still a lot of areas where it could be used.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments