Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Rolling Hills Park

Postby bill_m » August 12th, 2009, 7:26 pm

How sweet is this going to be when RH+HC=a 30 mile loop of kick *beep* singletrack. We're gonna need a bigger parking lot 8)
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby G.Cook » August 12th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Ditch Witch SK 500 . Thats all I gotta say :)
G.Cook

Postby J.knight » August 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm

G.Cook wrote:Ditch Witch SK 500 . Thats all I gotta say :)

How about XR650R? Can randomly move some dirt.
J.knight

Postby G.Cook » August 12th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Probably at one of the "night trail work " sessions only . :P
G.Cook

Postby michael48197 » August 16th, 2009, 1:45 pm

I'm please to read the comments from 'pimpalicious' and see some enthusiasm for the effort the RHP team has put in so far. We expect the trail will be quite a surprise to first time riders. Not so tame as one might expect.

Too bad the rain washed out the planned work day for Sat. 8/8. With evenings beginning to shorten, Trail Work Tuesday's will come to an end relatively soon...at least before we finish the trail. So, we want to plan a couple of Saturday workdays in the next few months and especially want to get one more in before the RHP Water Park closes for the year. Tentatively, Norm Roller, Bob Hollen and I have penciled in Saturday 8/29 as the next Saturday trail work day for RHP. Not official yet as I want to clear it with the RHP Supervisor and arrange entrance passes to the park and water park. As follow up, we've also penciled in Sat. 9/12 with Sat. 9/26 as alternate. These look like the only viable weekends until the end of Sept. as 8/22 is the MMBA Maybury race, 9/5 is Labor Day and 9/19 is the Triple Trail Challenge.

Give me some feedback on your interest and availability for Sat. workdays. Look for an announcement here and on the Yahoo!Group in the next few days.

Michael Connolly
Rolling Hills Trail Coordinator
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 17th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Mark your calendar for Saturday August 29. We will be having a workday at Rolling Hills from 9 AM to 1 PM on 8/29 to start a big push on this trail since we'd like to get Phase 1 (first 5 miles) done this year. We will meet as usual in the main parking lot near the park HQ. If you can't arrive until later, look for a map attached to one of the cars and meet us at the work site. With a crew of 8-10, we can both extend the trail quite a bit and clean up some sections built over the past few months. A bigger crew will also allow us to build technical sections through the center of the 'crater', a 'rock garden' over some old road rubble and complete a log pile.

There will be donuts, coffee and bagels for a good morning wake up. Even better, I've arranged with RHP management for an awesome cool down of free admission to the water park for all trail crew members for the afternoon!!! (http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/de ... _park.html) Park Supervisor - Steve Wyatt - will arrange for the crew to enter as a group as his guests. If you don't already have a Washtenaw County Park Pass, we've arranged for trail workers to get free admission into Rolling Hills Park. When you arrive at the park gate, each volunteer should identify that they are there for the MMBA Trail Work Saturday and show your ID. The Gate Attendant will record your name, then pass you through to the parking area to meet.

Info on RHP including a map can be found at: http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/de ... kroll.html

So, come out to see the trail progress and lend a hand. As usual, long pants & sleeves, work shoes and bug juice are a must. Trail implements like rakes, shovels and pruners are always welcome. Bring your bike to ride the first section if you like. Add a half mile on the mowed/gravel park roads and the trail makes a nice 1.5 mile loop at this point.

Bring your brawn to build the trail, your bike to ride and your suit for swimming. Oh, if you plan to come to the work day, please send me a RSVP at the Email address below. I'd like to have an idea of the crew size so we can plan the scale of the work day. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks. See you Saturday 8/8 at 9 AM!

Michael Connolly
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 20th, 2009, 7:17 am

As I was away on business, I couldn't make it to this week's Trail Work Tuesday at RHP. However, Norm Roller and several NEW (!!) volunteers made some good progress on a 'swooping' downhill section and back up the slope towards the next park road crossing. Next week on TWT (8/25) and the Saturday work day (8/29) we will cross the park road and continue following the steeply contoured terrain.

With summer coming to an end, trail building weather will improve and the bugs will wane. The RHP trail inexorably is coming into shape. Come out and lend a hand.

Michael Connolly
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm

REMINDER: Trail Work Saturday 8/29 - 9 AM to 1 PM

Tree Fort Bikes has agreed to sponsor a pizza lunch after the work session!! See my posting from Monday 8/17 for details.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 27th, 2009, 8:56 am

The new RHP trail continues to take shape. The hilly terrain and serpentine trail will be a blast to ride when it's completed this fall. We've got about 1.5 miles of trail at the moment with a total of 3.5 to 4 miles to be cut this year. Check out the map below for trail progress and this link (http://picasaweb.google.com/BikeHewensC ... TrailDays#) for some updated photos of RHP work days.

Come out the the trail work day this Saturday 8/29 to help finish this trail and open it for riding this fall.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » August 31st, 2009, 10:08 am

Progress, progress, progress. Check out the map below and this link (http://picasaweb.google.com/BikeHewensC ... TrailDays#) for the current trail status. We had a good crew of nine out to RHP for the workday this past Saturday. We were able to trim up the starting sections which we started three months ago (!!), complete a nice log pile with ride-around, mow some thick field sections with the new mower (see orange on the map) and, most excitingly, create a 'Hard Way' up, through and around 'The Crater'. We also placed a 'Temporary Start' sign off the gravel road (right side of the map below) and a 'Temporary End' sign (at the end of the blue section on the map). I rode the trail yesterday which now comes out to 1.25 miles to the 'Temporary End'. When linked up with the mowed park paths, the trail makes a challenging 1.6-1.7 mile loop. Bring your bike out, give the trail a try and send me your feedback. I'm sure there are sections that need some modification or improvement, but we need riders' input to make the correct changes.

As you can see on the map, we still need to link up the mowed fields (orange sections) through some dense, hilly woods to reach ~2 miles. There's still a lot of work to do to finish Phase 1 this year to ~3.5 miles. We plan to continue Trail Work Tuesdays at 6 PM for the next month or so until the evening light fails us. Also, look for a notice for a September trial work Saturday by the end of the week.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » September 2nd, 2009, 9:40 am

We had a good turnout of help for Trail Work Tuesday last night including Steve Wyatt - RHP Supervisor! We completed the next 'island' of woods between the mowed park paths (pink on the map). Doing so now allows riders to connect to parts of the 'orange' sections we cleared last weekend, increasing the total trail length to ~1.4 miles or a ~2.1 mile loop with the mowed park paths (black on the map). While the newest section is rideable, we still need to run the mower over a grassy section and do some bench-cutting for sustainability. To complete the current loop, turn left onto the mowed park path at the end of the 'pink' section, then immediately left through a mowed section of goldenrod, follow the mowed path ~50 yards to a 4-way junction and then left into the woods around a large log to complete the last 'orange' section. After reaching the mowed path again, take a left and follow the mowed path (black) and gravel road around the perimeter back to the start along the gravel road (start of the 'green' section). If you come out to RHP to give it a try, be prepared for some good hill work especially on the 'pink' section we completed last night!! And if you think that's hilly, wait until we get to the next 'yellow' section down into the 'ravine'!!

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com

Last edited by michael48197 on September 6th, 2009, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » September 5th, 2009, 7:10 am

In our on-going effort to finish Phase 1 (~4 miles) of the new RHP trail this year, we will be having another trail work day on Saturday 9/12 from 9 AM to 1 PM. Much progress was made on the last Sat. work day on 8/29 and recent Trail Work Tuesdays, but much work remains. The next section that we will build is hilly and challenging as the trail will pass downhill towards the pond and back up towards the rear gate of RHP. Once done the single track portion of the park should be almost 2 miles and a nearly 3 mile loop with the mowed park paths.

Come on out and volunteer at RHP on Saturday 9/12.

-Coffee, donuts and bagels provided
-Free entrance to Rolling Hills Park for trail workers (give name and purpose of visit at park gate)
-Pizza lunch & AA Brewing beer
-Meet in central parking area near Park HQ at 9 AM
-Wear long pants, long sleeves and work shoes
-Bring pruners, shovels & rakes, however, most tools provided
-Please RSVP to Michael Connolly at 734-528-1496 (mconnolly62@yahoo.com) or Norm Roller at 734-474-2662 (normroller@comcast.net)

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » September 13th, 2009, 9:17 pm

We had a VERY successful trail work day out at Rolling Hills Park this past Saturday with 10 eager workers and perfect weather. The work team even included two guys from Toledo seeking experience and guidance on building trials of their own on OH! Thanks to all who participated and to Tree Fort Bikes for the pizza and AA Brewing for the cold beer!

The group was big enough to break into three work teams which linked up one new downhill and two new uphill trail sections in the 'ravine' to the 'orange' sections completed on the 8/29 work day (see the cobalt blue line on the attached map). The trail now reaches the back walk-in gate of RHP along Bemis Road and is 1.7-1.8 miles of challenging single track. When linked with the mowed park paths, a loop back to the trail start should be 2.4-2.5 miles. Check out this link for work day photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/BikeHewensC ... ills12Sep#).

Trail Work Tuesday this week (9/15) will follow up on the Sat. work day. This week's goals will be to clean up a section of the new "ravine" trail and to begin extending the trail to the west along the southern fenceline.

Come on out and ride RHP. The trail bed needs to be riden in and we are eager for feedback on the layout and potential for improvements. Look for an Email in a week or so planning the next trail work day in early October.

Michael Connolly
734-528-1496
mconnolly62@yahoo.com

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby cbur1650 » September 16th, 2009, 10:33 am

The trail is very fun to ride-Sunday afternoon after all the new trailwork.
It does need to be firmed up. I crashed on a soft turn.
Get out and ride it and help make some more.

Chris
I love my Kona
cbur1650

Postby michael48197 » September 20th, 2009, 3:23 pm

I spent about 3.5 hours doing some 'detail' work this morning. After riding the trail numerous times in recent weeks, I have noted several places that needed modifications. I flattened out some bumps with bench cuts on the little grassy knoll at ~0.75 miles and re-aligned a corner at ~1.0 mile in the glade after the crater and another at ~1.2 miles at the end of the first 'island' of woods after the crater. I aslo mowed the uphill section on the second 'island' of woods at ~1.3 miles and started on the bench cutting work on the first 'island'. There is still quite a lot of bench cutting needed on this island for safety reasons (very off-camber with trees waiting for the unaware) and on the second 'island' for sustainability.

The evenings are waning fast this time of year. There are only a few Trail Work Tuesdays left. This week our TWT goal at RHP will be to continue extending the trail west along the south fence line and, with a large turnout, reach the next trail crossing.

Pencil in 10/3 on your calendar for the next Saturday work day at RHP. Confirmation in a few days.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions