Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby bill_m » April 27th, 2009, 9:47 am

A brand new Trail is being created in 2009. Since it doesn't exist yet it is not in the MMBA Trial Guide. This is where we will keep everyone up to date on what is happening as it unfolds until it is ready to have its own listing. You can see some information on Rolling Hills by clicking here.

The Park has acquired a significant amount of additional land of the past couple of years which is allowing us to create a very extensive and interesting (read hills) trail systems. We also plan to create a skills section. You can see the new land on the map below.

And here is the Phase 1 trail. It may change a bit as we cut it in:

Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Re: Rolling Hills Park

Postby bill_m » April 27th, 2009, 9:47 am

Rolling Hills Kick-Off Workday

This Saturday will mark the beginning of construction of the new trail at Rolling Hills, a Washtenaw County Park. The initial section of trail that we will be working on is wooded and hilly and promises to be much like the Mayberry SP trail. Later this summer we will be developing a skills park to go with it. This workday will be on Saturday, May 2nd, at 1 PM, with a rainday on the following Sunday, same time. Note that there is a charge for entering Washtenaw county Parks (we recommend buying an annual pass). Also, be warned that they are patches of thick poison ivy in the park, so if you are allergic to it, you may wish to pass on this workday, or wear full cover clothing, rubber gloves and wash with Technu when you get home. Meet at the smaller of the two central parking lots. If you have questions, call Norm Roller at 734-426-5737 or 734-474-2662 cell.
bill_m

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » May 3rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

Hey Bill, when is the next planned work day out there ? I would like to attend, but it has to fit into an already busy schedule. Let me know when you guys need help again and I will try to make it out there. I love cutting new trail !

Thanks,
Gary
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby hotspurr » May 4th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Trailwork Tuesday will be at Rolling Hills tomorrow, May 5th, at 6 PM. See the Trailwork Tuesdays forum for more details.
hotspurr

Postby bill_m » May 5th, 2009, 7:20 am

Some fresh trail after our first workday.

bill_m

Postby mojoman » May 6th, 2009, 7:17 am

I just came accross this and would love to help out. It is close to home for me so any thing I can do to make a trail would be cool. How long is this going to be? I would love to make some log piles and rock gardens, jumps and drops would be nice too.
mojoman

Postby Geff » May 6th, 2009, 7:55 am

Just came across this. Keep me posted as I would like to help out whenever I can. Thanks for all the efforts you do!
Geff

Postby smallblock » May 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I came out yesterday at around 6:15, saw the cars in lot but couldn't find where you guys were working. Probably should have got there on time, buy maybe next time you can give some more detailed info on where you will be for the latecomers? I'll try to get there on time too...
smallblock

Postby bill_m » May 6th, 2009, 4:01 pm

The black lines on the map are service roads. The very first part of the trail on the map will be cut last. So walk along the park road and turn right at the dirt service drive. The new trail starts there and you can follow it until you find everyone.

bill_m

Postby bhollen666 » May 6th, 2009, 8:16 pm

We meet again this Tuesday again at 6 P.M. I would suggest to bring loppers, pruners, and a rake for this first section, as we are trying to groom the new trail to be in a completed state with each section that we add. Like it was also warned in previous posts, there's poison ivy around, so make sure to bring protective clothing and maybe some Technu for cleanup. The guys started a really sweet turn on the last trail day, which you can see here at this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/BikeHewensCreek/RollingHillsTrailDays#5332518398929572450 See you all the next trail day! :evil:
bhollen666

Postby hotspurr » May 10th, 2009, 7:18 am

Trailwork Tuesdays will be at Rolling Hills again on May12th. See the Trailwork Tuesdays forum for more details.
hotspurr

Postby bill_m » May 22nd, 2009, 9:25 am

Join us for another trail day at Rolling Hills Park, Poto Chapter’s newest trail in progress. Meet at the central parking lot north at 10 AM. We’ll be working on the area at the SE corner of Sassafras Woods, just NE of the lake. With a good turn out we should be able to complete a rideable section of trail.
bill_m

Postby bentmettle » May 22nd, 2009, 9:38 am

That's this Saturday, correct?
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby hotspurr » May 22nd, 2009, 11:20 am

That's correct. This Saturday, May 23rd. We recommend long pants and sleeves due to the presence of poison ivy in the area. If it's warm, you can hit the water park after working.
hotspurr

Postby michael48197 » June 3rd, 2009, 8:57 am

There will be another trail work day on Saturday 6/6 at 9:30 AM. We will be looking to push the trail to the stream crossing in the lower right of the map to complete the first 1/2 mile or so of trail. Bring any work tools you have (pruners, rakes, lopers, weed wacker). And don't forget the bug spray and a long sleeve shirt with long pants to protect from the poison ivy!!

Meet in the central parking lot ~1/4 mile past the entrance to the water park on the right. Look for my burgundy VW Passat. If you arrive late, walk back up the road ~100 yds, turn right down the dirt road and go ~1/4 mile down bending left near the pond.

Michael Connolly
734-528-1496 (cell)
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments