Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby jonw9 » September 26th, 2011, 7:34 am

geardaddy37 wrote:OK just turned back my games for thursday...80$ out the window but gotta hit that with the group! (:
is the group ride still happening?

I don't know...
We could either do a group ride at Anderson, or perhaps another Burchfield race route preview for those that are interested?
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby plunderspunk » September 26th, 2011, 8:55 am

either way I just want to ride with you guys once this year!!!
(it would be very cool to see bikejoe too, I bet he can ride a wheelie all the way thorugh the yellow loop! 8)
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby plunderspunk » September 28th, 2011, 4:18 pm

well, looks like the gods who don't wnat me riding thursdays are at it again...My dad flies in from Cali aarives 9:20p @ metro!! working til 6...Foch!
(that's what I get though for positng that I would be there...)
plunderspunk

Postby mwnovak » October 16th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Hi all. Haven't done much mountain biking since moving to Michigan (from California) two years ago, but I made it over to Anderson this past Friday. Did two loops each on blue, red, and green. Minor branches down here and there (moved most of them, though I expect the wind brought more down this weekend). And of course everything was covered in a layer of damp leaves: made the trail a bit hard to find/follow in places (particularly on the green loop where it first turns south), and things were a bit slick/squirrely through some of the twisties.

Question about trail etiquette around here: how late into the season can we usually ride these trails before there's a risk of tearing/rutting them up? Didn't seem to be an issue yet, but I'm wondering for the coming weeks.

Mostly I wanted to post and say that I had a blast riding out there! I understand the comments above about wanting faster/flowing lines--more than anything, this is what I miss from the riding back home--but at the same time I think Anderson presents a fun challenge: there is flow out there, but it's broken up with sections that have to be worked through at a walking pace. From what I saw, "being fast" on those loops (if fast is what you want) comes down to knowing which is which and really seizing every opportunity to crank the pedals when you can. It's just not a place that rewards complacency, if that makes sense, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, I'm stoked that these trails are ~15min from my house, and I hope to get a few more rides out there before the snow comes.

--Matt
mwnovak

Postby c0nsumer » October 16th, 2011, 2:59 pm

mwnovak wrote:Question about trail etiquette around here: how late into the season can we usually ride these trails before there's a risk of tearing/rutting them up? Didn't seem to be an issue yet, but I'm wondering for the coming weeks.

Welcome to Michigan. We've got some great trails here. :D

Here in SE Michigan you'll be able to ride all the way through winter until spring thaw, and will want to stay off while the ground is saturated / thawing. Things will remain sufficiently dry through late December at which point it'll begin freezing solid and continue to be safe to ride. It's only once the real spring thaw hits in March-ish that you'll want to avoid trails.

What happens here is that the ground thaws from the top down, resulting in pools of standing mud/water on top of frozen ground, making things prime for slop and pizza cutter type ruts. It'll be obvious when this occurs. For now, just ride; you'll be fine. There will be plenty of noise here on the forum come spring when people are asking riders to avoid trails for a couple weeks.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mwnovak » October 16th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the info, and I'll watch trail conditions come spring. Definitely different than what I'm used to, where any rain means staying off the trails for a while (regardless of the season).

Regarding, "you'll be able to ride all the way through winter until spring thaw" . . . I may need someone to show me how this is done when there's a foot of snow on the ground: studded tires? a fat bike? how do you even find the trail, particularly somewhere like Anderson where it continuously twists and folds back over on itself? I'm up for trying, though: this is why the sheep make wool. ;)

--Matt
mwnovak

Postby centralRH » October 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm

mwnovak wrote:Hi all. Haven't done much mountain biking since moving to Michigan (from California) two years ago, but I made it over to Anderson this past Friday. Did two loops each on blue, red, and green. Minor branches down here and there (moved most of them, though I expect the wind brought more down this weekend). And of course everything was covered in a layer of damp leaves: made the trail a bit hard to find/follow in places (particularly on the green loop where it first turns south), and things were a bit slick/squirrely through some of the twisties.

Question about trail etiquette around here: how late into the season can we usually ride these trails before there's a risk of tearing/rutting them up? Didn't seem to be an issue yet, but I'm wondering for the coming weeks.

Mostly I wanted to post and say that I had a blast riding out there! I understand the comments above about wanting faster/flowing lines--more than anything, this is what I miss from the riding back home--but at the same time I think Anderson presents a fun challenge: there is flow out there, but it's broken up with sections that have to be worked through at a walking pace. From what I saw, "being fast" on those loops (if fast is what you want) comes down to knowing which is which and really seizing every opportunity to crank the pedals when you can. It's just not a place that rewards complacency, if that makes sense, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, I'm stoked that these trails are ~15min from my house, and I hope to get a few more rides out there before the snow comes.

--Matt

Glad you enjoyed the ride. You should have no issue riding the trails throughout the fall. If we get very heavy rains you might want to give it a day or two dry. Once you get to know the place, you will be moving much quicker through the slower sections. You are right that if you want to go fast you can't be complacent. It is all about acceleration and cornering. I find I use more body english on the trail at Anderson more than any other location I have ridden.

The trails in the Mid-State area will be greatly different than any thing in Cal. We have very small parks that require some creative layout to have anything more than a couple mile trail. I believe most trials in Cal. are in much larger open spaces allowing for a little more open flow. Not all trail systems in Mich. are like this, it is just the situation we have in the MidState area.

Come out and join us for the group ride on Thursday evenings.
centralRH

Postby F7Cannon » October 18th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Tree down on the green loop that will require a chainsaw to remove. It's just shy of a mile in at the top of the hill that goes down past the other fallen tree that has now become a log ride. It can be ridden over but is a bit large in my opinion to stay, don't really need any more speed bumps out there. :wink:
Last edited by F7Cannon on October 18th, 2011, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » October 18th, 2011, 8:05 pm

When were you there, Shaun? I got there around 5:15 and rode til just before 7. Fair bit of debris on the trail branches and twigs in addition to the leaves. I kicked a few of the really ugly ones off the trail. There's a tree down on the blue loop, too.

Anyone ever checked out the bar just south of Wardell road? Looks like a bit of a dive...been a few years since I went to a bar with a dirt parking lot!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby xcrdr » October 18th, 2011, 8:29 pm

The B+I Bar. I remember going there when I was a kid. It's an old shop bar. I like it because they let Logan in. Food was pretty good.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby dauber76 » October 18th, 2011, 8:34 pm

I can probably get out there this weekend. Steve, do you have a better location for the tree on the blue loop?
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby F7Cannon » October 18th, 2011, 8:59 pm

SteveF wrote:When were you there, Shaun? I got there around 5:15 and rode til just before 7. Fair bit of debris on the trail branches and twigs in addition to the leaves. I kicked a few of the really ugly ones off the trail. There's a tree down on the blue loop, too.

Anyone ever checked out the bar just south of Wardell road? Looks like a bit of a dive...been a few years since I went to a bar with a dirt parking lot!

Got there around 4:30, did one loop of the green and had to call it a day. Was having issues with my new chain :evil:

We should go have a few beers at that place after our next group ride. Never ventured inside before, can't be all that bad.
F7Cannon

Postby SteveF » October 19th, 2011, 6:52 am

dauber76 wrote:I can probably get out there this weekend. Steve, do you have a better location for the tree on the blue loop?

Thanks! It's actually not in a bad spot for a log pyramid but dealers choice there--removal might be easier. It's not far in from the blue loop entrance that's west of the pond nearest Old Lansing road, less than a mile in. Someone(s) piled small branches on it to make a half-assed pyramid but it's not really sufficient for any long term use.

xcrdr wrote:The B+I Bar. I remember going there when I was a kid. It's an old shop bar. I like it because they let Logan in. Food was pretty good.

Thanks--when I looked left pulling out I saw the lit up "BAR," sign and it made me curious...

F7Cannon wrote:
Got there around 4:30, did one loop of the green and had to call it a day. Was having issues with my new chain :evil:

We should go have a few beers at that place after our next group ride. Never ventured inside before, can't be all that bad.

New chain skipping on your old cog(s)/ring(s)? That's fun.

Probably safety in numbers is you're gonna wear spandex into an old neighborhood bar, eh? :wink:

Looks old but well kept:

http://g.co/maps/xav3n
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby plunderspunk » October 20th, 2011, 8:30 am

Never ventured inside before, can't be all that bad.

...famous last words. If you don't post for a couple of days we'll call the state police... :lol:
plunderspunk

Postby dauber76 » October 24th, 2011, 9:33 pm

As you climb the first hill on the blue loop, make sure you stay on the trail. Someone decided to bury fido just off the trail, but didn't bury it deep enough. Something else found it and exposed part of the remains. Based on the condition of the body, I would guess that it was buried this year.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions