Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby dauber76 » September 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm

pfox90 wrote:Really feel like I haven't heard much out of Anderson in a long time. We got in a ride today and I know I'm gonna get stoned for this but oh well; the landscape of the terrain at Anderson should be oriented towards a technical, low mile trail like you see at torn shirt or Murray lake, etc. Based on it's location you just can't ge out there and get speed or pound out some miles, and there really isn't much of anything out there it just winds around. So I propose a drastic change on re routes or making the existing trails hard. I'm not talking about adding stunts or log piles or a random log in the middle of no where. And I'm not just saying I want others to do this for me if you know anything I was busting my ass out there in early spring before summer classes. This is just an opinion to draw more people and make it actually have an identity.

Discuss.

Hold on, let me get some popcorn. This is gonna be a good show.

Personally, I think Anderson does have an identity and draws a lot of people. To propose a full reroute and redevelopment of the trail system basically spits in the face of all the people (and mainly the TC) who have spent hundreds of hours over the last three years making trail from scratch.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby pfox90 » September 2nd, 2011, 1:49 pm

That isn't the intention of the post, but if you want to go that route that's cool I don't really mind. I think we all know that Brad gets a lot of respect from me and any other biker just for being one of the only people who maintain it. In the trails current form and after going to other destinations I would say all of the Lansing trails are sub par though, it's not brads fault, or jeffs, or anyone else who does work. That's just how it is right now. I'm just posting an opinion on a forum to advocate for further production on the trail to make it worth while (isn't that the goal of the MMBA?). I don't feel like doing 3 laps of all the loops is really entertaining and if I'm going to get 5 miles I want it to beat the heck out of me. You can take it or leave it, that's up to you all, it doesn't really matter to me because I can ride other places. I don't get the animosity on this board though I feel like every time someone makes a post that doesn't go with the status quo you have to come in with guns blazing and armored up.
Last edited by pfox90 on September 2nd, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby TenSpeed » September 2nd, 2011, 1:53 pm

I don't know that it draws a lot of people honestly. We don't have much in this area, and it could be more of a convenience rather than a draw to the park.

Anderson is so much different than a lot of the trails in the state, as it is tightly wound over a small parcel of land. You can't get the long swoopy feel like ILRA has, or the elevation changes that Highland has. A change in the entire trail system might actually be a good idea. The thought of having to session or lap the same trail several times to get any type of mileage is discouraging, at least for me. I would rather drive to the other trails like Lakeshore, Brighton, ILRA, Luton, Custer, etc.

I wouldn't say that it is a spit in the face, but rather more of a suggestion as to make the trail better. Instead of feeling insulted, it should be more welcoming.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby dauber76 » September 2nd, 2011, 2:08 pm

I guess I've just been around too long (not as long as others) who just tire of hearing how the trails aren't good enough. Either they are too easy or too hard or just not perfect. I know coming into the game late and after all the trail design is done makes it hard to provide input but sometimes you have to realize that things are the way they are for a reason. I'm not saying new ideas are not welcome, but sometimes new ideas are not entirely compatible with the current flow of the trail. Anderson and the other Lansing trails are limited by size. You will not find any current trail in the area that will work as a destination trail because those trails will never compete with Poto, Yankee, the fort, etc regardless of what you do to Anderson.

But hey, to each his own. Work with Brad and see what you can come up with. I'm just too *beep* burned out to care.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby centralRH » September 2nd, 2011, 2:18 pm

pfox90 wrote:Really feel like I haven't heard much out of Anderson in a long time. We got in a ride today and I know I'm gonna get stoned for this but oh well; the landscape of the terrain at Anderson should be oriented towards a technical, low mile trail like you see at torn shirt or Murray lake, etc. Based on it's location you just can't ge out there and get speed or pound out some miles, and there really isn't much of anything out there it just winds around. So I propose a drastic change on re routes or making the existing trails hard. I'm not talking about adding stunts or log piles or a random log in the middle of no where. And I'm not just saying I want others to do this for me if you know anything I was busting my ass out there in early spring before summer classes. This is just an opinion to draw more people and make it actually have an identity.

Discuss.

I am all ears for constructive criticism but I think your claims are unfounded. We will see if others comment. My response below:

I like riding Torn shirt also, but it is not a sustainable trail design and not something that will be duplicated at Anderson. Many people can't stand the very tight twist and turns...why would we want to duplicate that? Murray Lake? What is technical about Murray Lake? Nothing.

How would you make the existing trails at Anderson "hard"? Go up and down fall lines causing erosion problems...not going to happen. I am not sure exactly what kind of tech you are looking for...roots? rocks? erosion ruts? apparently not stunts. I think you want to go downhill fast? There are a couple fast downhill sections, but there is not enough elevation to create any sustained downhills.

I think plenty would claim it has an identity. It is a flowy trial with speed and it will punish you quickly if you can't handle your bike.

If you don't like the trial that is fine...drive to Brighton. Or, find a park in the area, work with a land manager to gain permission, and give up most of your ride time to designing and build a trail over the next couple of years. Good luck.

BTW - I will likely be out there this weekend building some drops if you want to come out and discuss.
centralRH

Postby SteveF » September 2nd, 2011, 2:23 pm

Well, there's really only so much you can do with the terrain and size of the parks folks are working with around here--I think Anderson's pretty well laid out given the space available. But, yeah--it's never going to be a "destination," trail. Probably for the best, anyway--there ain't that much parking.

Burchfield was a destination trail for a while when folk's were excited about the stunts but I don't think that's the case much anymore.

I like having a couple of decent trails around here for a quick fix during the week after work, and since they're both in non-hunting parks, they're good to ride when hunting season comes around. I do usually go out of town on the weekends to other trails, though. Variety is good!

If you want more challenging mileage, do Anderson then drive down and do Burchfield. I might even try the trifecta some time and hit RoseLake as well. That'd be quite a bit more driving though, since A and B are pretty close together and RL is a ways off northeast.

Wasn't that long ago that Rose Lake and the easy/beginner trails at Burchfield were all we had 'round here, so count your blessings, folks!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby centralRH » September 2nd, 2011, 2:35 pm

TenSpeed wrote:I don't know that it draws a lot of people honestly. We don't have much in this area, and it could be more of a convenience rather than a draw to the park.

Anderson is so much different than a lot of the trails in the state, as it is tightly wound over a small parcel of land. You can't get the long swoopy feel like ILRA has, or the elevation changes that Highland has. A change in the entire trail system might actually be a good idea. The thought of having to session or lap the same trail several times to get any type of mileage is discouraging, at least for me. I would rather drive to the other trails like Lakeshore, Brighton, ILRA, Luton, Custer, etc.

I wouldn't say that it is a spit in the face, but rather more of a suggestion as to make the trail better. Instead of feeling insulted, it should be more welcoming.

There is only 90 acres at Anderson some of which is wetland. There is no way to pack in any more mileage unless you want the trail even more tightly wound. Kind of goes against the swoopy ILRA idea.

How about pfox90 and yourself take a walk with me out there sometime. Walking the ground is the only way to get a good feeling for what is really out there. You most likely don't even realize what you ride past that restricts the ability of the trail to go a certain direction.
centralRH

Postby pfox90 » September 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm

I'd love to Brad, I'm usually available weekday mornings, Sat morning and Sunday afternoon.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby TenSpeed » September 2nd, 2011, 2:59 pm

I understand that the best has been done with what is out there. I am just putting out how I feel about the trail. It's good for what it is. I don't think that there is anything wrong with it.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby AllMountin' » September 2nd, 2011, 7:02 pm

I don't think Brighton is a good example. Even if we *could* duplicate Torn Shirt, a LOT of the current trail users would absolutely *hate* that change. Torn Shirt is a single speeder's nightmare and I would never take a beginner there, because they'd hate the sport forever. Murray actually has long stretches of flat and takes up way more space than Anderson could possibly allow.

Take a look at the two, and note the zoom level required to fit the trail in the screen.

Brighton- minus the last loop of Murray:
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/uVfKW5gIIzM

Anderson:
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/sdFLKc6ESQ8

If you look at just Torn Shirt (on the bottom), you're looking at a whole lot more length and you are climbing and descending many different hills. In order to do that at Anderson, you'd have to essentially go straight down a hill, turn around, and go right back up it- over and over again. The hills would be shorter and you wouldn't have the technical difficulty until several years from now when the non-sustainable trails eroded into a loose, gravelly mess. We simply can't match their terrain.

The difficulty at Anderson (as with many trails) varies greatly with speed. I know on Red in particular, I have difficulty getting any kind of aerobic workout because you can only mash so hard and for so long before you crash into something. The challenge is in maintaining speed and momentum through the tight clearance and through the turns. I tend to think that if you can ride Anderson well, it will make you better on just about any trail- climbing aspect aside. It's a different kind of challenge, no doubt.

I'm probably not the best one to comment on comparos though, as I like every aspect of the sport: Climbing, descending, tech, stunts, flow, speed, fitness, etc... I've yet to find a trail that I don't like. Must be something wrong with me.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby SteveF » September 3rd, 2011, 5:50 am

AllMountin' wrote:I'm probably not the best one to comment on comparos though, as I like every aspect of the sport: Climbing, descending, tech, stunts, flow, speed, fitness, etc... I've yet to find a trail that I don't like. Must be something wrong with me.

Yeah, that sort of easy going, positivism ain't going to get you anywhere in today's society, Steve!

Torn Shirt is a misery--I tolerate a lap of it just because it's there, so I can enjoy 2 laps of Murray Lake/Lost Loop. (I used to do two of each when I was younger and TS was new) It would only take a handful of reroutes to sort it out pretty nicely, though. Brighton Rec overall is a beautiful place.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby plunderspunk » September 4th, 2011, 7:31 am

Yeah, that sort of easy going, positivism ain't going to get you anywhere in today's society, Steve!

that was good (:

I went out there last night and rode a lap of each...first time this year...mosquitos were baaaddd! great ride though. I plan to get back there several times more before the snow flies. But I'm not gonna commit to thursday. better to just show up, every time I think I have a thursday night off I get called to do a game... :(
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby centralRH » September 7th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Big Big tree down on the green loop paralleling the trail. I see a new log ride in the future.
centralRH

Postby bikejoe » September 21st, 2011, 11:30 pm

I did some pruning and trimming at Anderson this evening. I walked all of the Red Loop and a little of the Green, trimming and pruning as needed. It seemed like it needed trimming more when I rode it on Sunday, than when I was walking it today. I still found plenty to work on. I trimmed along the ground, being careful not to widen the trail bed. I went after the face-slappers too, and tried to clear the canopy in places where snow will weigh down the branches.

I was pleased to see so many riders enjoying the Anderson Park trails today. I'm glad no one ran into me. With my hearing protection on I couldn't hear bikes approaching.

bikejoe

Postby plunderspunk » September 26th, 2011, 6:38 am

OK just turned back my games for thursday...80$ out the window but gotta hit that with the group! (:
is the group ride still happening?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions