Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby TenSpeed » June 10th, 2011, 8:33 am

I know that I bad mouthed the trail in the past, and would like to openly apologize for that. I have a better understanding now of Anderson, and what goes into making a trail good, and really do appreciate all of the work that goes into Anderson to make it what it is. I am hoping to get out there and help one of these days if my schedule will allow it.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Re: Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby jonw9 » June 10th, 2011, 11:25 am

centralRH wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:Rode today with my wife, and it was great. Mosquitos but those are to be expected. The entrance to blue is pretty overgrown, but other than that, the trail is in really good shape. Loving the work done on red as you come into the playground area and the new bridge.

Thanks. The trail is in great shape. I will get a weed whip out on the entrance to blue soon, but not all of it may get cleared. Some of the plants in this area are invasive garlic mustard and I need to take a closer look to see if it has seeded. If it hasn't reached maturity yet I should be able to knock it back. If it is already producing seeds it will remain standing. I want to minimize the spread of seeds. The other option is we can pull it by hand and give it proper disposal. We do not want this plant spreading throughout the park more than it already has.

I was thinking about hacking through that area if I got out of work at a decent time. However, based on this response, perhaps I should hold off.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby centralRH » June 10th, 2011, 11:53 am

Either hold off until I get a good look or just don't mess with anything that looks like this: http://www.google.com/search?q=garlic+mustard+plant&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=709

I may just hand pull all the garlic mustard plants near the trail.

BTW - you can eat garlic mustard leaves. Recipes here: http://www.ma-eppc.org/morerecipes.html
centralRH

Postby jonw9 » June 10th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Well with the storm potential, and the way things are going here, I don't think I will make it out. I will check the link for plant ID before heading out.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby flynnster » June 10th, 2011, 2:08 pm

I've been looking forward to riding all the new stuff at Anderson, then the day I come home from college it pours. Well it will be there all summer.
flynnster

Postby bikejoe » June 11th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I weed-whacked most of the Red Loop. I trimmed for 4 hours, until my fuel ran out. My method is to cut at a 45 degree angle up from the trail bed, to leave lots of strong plants and shrubs to hold the soil. I worked on the canopy where it needed it. Someone else did some heavier pruning through there not long ago.
bikejoe

Postby bmvenglarcik » June 13th, 2011, 8:45 am

Bring LOTS of bug spray. I did the top of the green loop and as long as you don't slow down you're alright.. I luckily thought to bring some (and this was pre-rain down pour), and only got one mosquito bite. The second half of the green loop I ended up ducking out of as soon as I found and out to the road because I was being swarmed. Again, this was pre-rain, so it might be worse now.. Invest in really good bug spray.. and I'd say bring it with you if you want to connect a few loops so you don't have to go back to your car to reapply.
bmvenglarcik

Postby pfox90 » June 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Rode Anderson for a few hours today. Trail is in excellent shape except the beginning section of the blue overgrowth but I understand the reason action hasn't been taken on it yet. Thanks to the people who went out for the last trail day, your work really paid off resurfacing the playground section.. you can bomb everything in there without worrying about sliding, hitting ruts or sketchy approaches. There were no mosquitoes at all out there; I think it is because all the standing water is drying out.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Felt6 » June 14th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Excellent. I am anxious to ride and it has been a few since I got out there. Tomorrow I am planning to go for a bit around 10am. Let me know if you can join in. I might have a couple of friends who can come out for their first time too.
slower is faster, brake less, pedal more, Do it better by bike.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby TenSpeed » June 14th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I might be in on this as well. Can't keep up with you yet Alan, but it would be fun to ride out there again.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby pfox90 » June 14th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I won't make it unfortunately. I have class till 12:30 UGH. This schedule is really conflicting with my morning riding I hate it.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby flynnster » June 14th, 2011, 10:38 pm

First ride of the season headed out to Anderson yesterday. Did the red loop before getting quite a headache. But the red loop was in great shape, really looking forward to that wall ride, and the new bridge/ladder (whatever you wanna call it) is awesome and super super solid.
flynnster

Postby centralRH » June 15th, 2011, 6:42 am

I will be clearing the blue entrance this evening. I plan to hand pull the garlic mustard plants that are within a few feet of the trail then run through with the weed whip.

Did anyone clear the blue loop after the downhill along the river? The section right before the blue and red come together then separate.
centralRH

Postby bockrona » June 17th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Was out there this morning @ 8:00. All is good. Although there's a little piece of trail where Snow doesn't quite cross the RR tracks that didn't get cleared. My legs got a little wet in the tall grass.
Anderson Park TC

Redline d660
1999 Schwinn Peloton
1980 Schwinn LeTour
1994 Bridgestone MB-4
bockrona

Postby rvd » June 17th, 2011, 1:59 pm

bockrona wrote:.... My legs got a little wet in the tall grass.

That is simply unacceptable! :)
rvd

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions