Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby centralRH » June 3rd, 2011, 4:50 pm

Felt6 wrote:I would love to get out there and do some work. I am free Sunday between 8 and 12. I can bring the saw and a couple of drills. It would be good to get a start on the berm hole ladder bridge. I will be out there today around 3 or 4 to ride for first time in three weeks if today goes as planned.

I freed up some time and can be there on Sunday at 8:00 am. Meet at the red loop trail head. Bring drills, saws, etc....tools for bridge building.

The more people that show the quicker we can get the work done.
centralRH

Postby dauber76 » June 3rd, 2011, 7:05 pm

The two trees on the red are clear. And since Patrick asked so nicely, the tree on the green is now a log pile. It isn't my best work but it should ride okay.

On a related note, I now know that i can go over a log pile with my bike while carrying a chainsaw.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby jonw9 » June 3rd, 2011, 7:41 pm

dauber76 wrote:The two trees on the red are clear. And since Patrick asked so nicely, the tree on the green is now a log pile. It isn't my best work but it should ride okay.

On a related note, I now know that i can go over a log pile with my bike while carrying a chainsaw.

You were on a bike, on dirt! :shock:

Next time try it with the saw running!
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby pfox90 » June 3rd, 2011, 8:43 pm

Can't make Sunday I'm working all day :(. I did my part tonight and trimmed all the face slappers on the blue loop. Got ripped apart by Mosquitos. Also got two flats on two separate days on different bikes. Thorny :(
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby bockrona » June 4th, 2011, 1:27 am

just one guy's opinion, but I think that building a platform over the mud past the berms may be the wrong approach.

in the 3 years I've been riding there, this is the first time it's ever really been an issue. Sometimes you can really rail the 2 berms pretty fast and come out with a lot of speed, and I really like it that way. Adding some platforms may take that away. Plus, once the platforms are in, it will be even harder to deal with the ground underneath, and we could end up with stagnant mud and water that gets worse.

I think that deailing with the drainage right there would be a better solution in the long run. Some more trenching and even a piece or two of tiling underneath. We could dig a small trench all the way across the trail, lay in a 10 foot or so piece of tiling that routes the h2o toward the down side. Then fill in the trenches w/ a little gravel, and ride right over them. I think that would fix that area nicely.

Once that is done, we could even raise the trailbed without fear of trapping more water, but that prolly wouldn't be necessary.
Anderson Park TC

Redline d660
1999 Schwinn Peloton
1980 Schwinn LeTour
1994 Bridgestone MB-4
bockrona

Postby centralRH » June 4th, 2011, 6:26 am

I think we can also maintain the speed with platforms right on the ground. We would also improve the drainage at the same time. I will take your suggestion and look things over one last time before doing any work.

One issue I see with doing the work with dirt is how wet the current soil is at that location. We would have to close down that section until it drys, otherwise any work we do will be quickly cut-up.
centralRH

Postby Felt6 » June 4th, 2011, 7:33 am

Yesterday I didn't get out there till 7:30 just to look around a bit. There is a nice big pile of wood, or fun fodder. I am looking forward to seeing what we can get done tomorrow.
The berms are one of the really good rails out there. I would like to see speed maintained all the way to the bridge. Making a ladder bridge and ladder berm there could be really nice, plus it is right in the playground where the most technical stunts are being grouped. I would like to make another option on the skinny too. centralrh, i was thinking of using rebar and muffler strap as stakes for securing log piles and skinnies. I will have some examples tomorrow.
slower is faster, brake less, pedal more, Do it better by bike.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby jonw9 » June 4th, 2011, 7:40 am

Felt6 wrote:Yesterday I didn't get out there till 7:30 just to look around a bit. There is a nice big pile of wood, or fun fodder. I am looking forward to seeing what we can get done tomorrow.
The berms are one of the really good rails out there. I would like to see speed maintained all the way to the bridge. Making a ladder bridge and ladder berm there could be really nice, plus it is right in the playground where the most technical stunts are being grouped. I would like to make another option on the skinny too. centralrh, i was thinking of using rebar and muffler strap as stakes for securing log piles and skinnies. I will have some examples tomorrow.

I first read this as using rebar and muffler straps AS the skinnies! :shock:

My concern, somewhat like Ron, would be coming off the second berm, at speed, leaning and hitting a slick bridge. A wooden berm/wall ride completing the trio would be pretty neat though.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby spwrozek » June 4th, 2011, 8:58 am

bockrona wrote:just one guy's opinion, but I think that building a platform over the mud past the berms may be the wrong approach.

in the 3 years I've been riding there, this is the first time it's ever really been an issue. Sometimes you can really rail the 2 berms pretty fast and come out with a lot of speed, and I really like it that way. Adding some platforms may take that away. Plus, once the platforms are in, it will be even harder to deal with the ground underneath, and we could end up with stagnant mud and water that gets worse.

I think that deailing with the drainage right there would be a better solution in the long run. Some more trenching and even a piece or two of tiling underneath. We could dig a small trench all the way across the trail, lay in a 10 foot or so piece of tiling that routes the h2o toward the down side. Then fill in the trenches w/ a little gravel, and ride right over them. I think that would fix that area nicely.

Once that is done, we could even raise the trailbed without fear of trapping more water, but that prolly wouldn't be necessary.

I agree with you on the bridge after the second berm. I lapped through there and even when dry as you are really flying I feel like you have to "pop" your bike up to get a good wheel travel angle on the bridge part.
spwrozek

Postby peterlcole » June 4th, 2011, 9:57 am

It's almost like you guys know my schedule and plan these trail days for when I'm out of town. Oh well, thanks for all the work you guys do, it is much appreciated!
peterlcole

Postby AllMountin' » June 5th, 2011, 12:03 am

I rather like the idea of the bridge/wall ride combo. I know Heritage, and some other places, lay wire mesh (chicken wire) down on their wood features for more traction. It sounds like it would look bad, but in practice isn't noticeable until you are right up on the stunt. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

Also- wouldn't mind building something along these lines out there- minus the mud pit:

It's from Findley SP in Ohio. Basically, it starts with a sequence of parallel small logs with a little rise and fall. It transitions into a full sized stump ride before coming back down to parallel logs again. The whole thing has a gentle curve to it. It's low on technical difficulty and risk, but still pretty fun to ride.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby pfox90 » June 5th, 2011, 7:54 am

Something along those lines was suppose to be built next to the skinny in the playground section
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Felt6 » June 5th, 2011, 11:01 am

There is still something like that in the works pfox90. We worked out there this morning, but didn't get to that. I think you will like what is in store.
Be careful at the berms, the trail bed is very spongy and easily cut in while the ladder bridge is now gone. With luck it will dry out this year.
slower is faster, brake less, pedal more, Do it better by bike.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby bockrona » June 6th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Was able to get out the last three days and the trail is drying out nicely and getting faster. Only a few trouble spots left in the usual areas. Haven't been through upper Green yet though pretty sure it's wet. After skipping the new skinny a few times, now 4 out of 5 success ratio. I guess it just looks skinny. Maybe it was the muck and water on both sides that made it look even skinnier before.

The berms ride great again also. That spot is firming up nicely now that we rearranged all the dirt and repacked it. You can ride the second berm all the way to the end and hop back to the trail and keep a boatload of speed. Plenty of speed for the new wood berm wall halfpipe ride. Can't wait to do a 360 Mctwist of that sucker. Thanks for going with Plan B on the culvert.

The tree Joe cleared in the back of green right before you split the 2 trees would make quite a log ride with some chainsaw work and a ramp or 2, or 3. I'd be happy to meet up and get that started whether it just be a strategy session, or whether we jump in and start work. I do not have a chainsaw, however.
Anderson Park TC

Redline d660
1999 Schwinn Peloton
1980 Schwinn LeTour
1994 Bridgestone MB-4
bockrona

Postby pfox90 » June 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Whoever hit the blue loop with the weed wacker should have got the new section just added... Why was that passed up? All of the plants are engorged with water and are already taking the trail over
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions