Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby pfox90 » May 20th, 2011, 12:08 pm

I thought that was the connector to the top of the red section.

And I didn't get out there and do any work since the last time I *beep* about it. Haven't even rode out there.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby centralRH » May 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm

jonw9 wrote:
centralRH wrote:Recently some small trees from alongside the trail have gone missing or got pushed over. I am not talking about face slappers, but standing broom stick sized trees. Do not remove any more. Whoever did this ruined the tight feeling on some sections of trail. If you can't ride a section to your liking, improve your skills. I don't care how many times you hit your bars. Do not modify the trail to fit your needs. Some of these sections used to require a little body english and quick front end maneuvers to get around at speed. Now the sections are less entertaining.

While I am at it, do not remove roots, rocks, or on the ground vines from the trial. Someone has removed Medusa's hands and I am certain they will not grow back.

I am guessing the trees are in "upper blue," the tight section Bill cut in last year?

Where/what were Medusa's hands?

Most of the trees I am referring to were on the red loop but there are others. Most wouldn't notice, but I know they are gone. There are several spots. One in particular is the downhill after the rock pile near the end; a bush was pushed over and a small tree removed. This section used to require people to make a choice to go fast and take a chance by going over the off camber roots (which by the way is easy, it just looks intimidating) or go more slowly avoiding the roots and going around. Without the trees, now it is easy for anyone to go around.

Medusa's hands were the ground vines on the section of blue loop just at the top of the hill were the blue and red come together then split. If you look to your right a tree is completely covered in vines and it looks like Medusa's head.

As heavy found out the red trail is going to be a bit sloppy near the beginning for awhile. I will be adding ladder bridges and improving the draining on these sections of red loop after Memorial weekend. The blue and green should be mostly O.K.

heavy - the section of green that you just discovered is very short. Just loops across some flats and then heads down to the road to go to the red loop or stays up high to head back to the parking.
centralRH

Postby Felt6 » May 20th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Central, I am bummed about the bandit trimmer too. I have not been out there for a while, but now I'm anxious to see the damage. Bummer. The tightness and english required are some of my favorite features of the trail. Green is wide open for the most part, so don't wreck the tight stuff.
slower is faster, brake less, pedal more, Do it better by bike.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby AllMountin' » May 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm

This is happening everywhere, but mostly with the roots. Rose, Poto, PLRA, and now Anderson. There is one spot out there on red, I think, where I could clip both bar ends at once on the HT. Wouldn't dream of altering it though.

When you don't have much terrain to work with, you gotta milk what technical difficulty you can out of little details like these.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby peterlcole » May 22nd, 2011, 5:24 pm

Just came back from a trip around the blue and red loops. Certain spots are pretty muddy and getting a little tore up, I'd give it a few days to dry out before going out.
peterlcole

Postby pfox90 » May 27th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Rode the green loop today and went to check out the damage on the trails due to the storm as well as riders. Then green loop was pretty good and I only had to walk the one spot on the last climb (before you get to the 4 tier root section).

Few things:

Downed tree on the green loop right before you split the rooty tree technical thingy..... yeah. Anyways it was too big, it needs to be cut with a chainsaw, if anyone can get out there within the next few days I'm sure everyone would really appreciate it. I'm sure the green loop is going to get a lot of business with the string of sunny days next week.

Checked out the red loop to see what was up, and pretty much saw this coming. I suspect people have been out there riding in between the rain and what not, it is evident on the approaches to a lot of stunts and low areas. The approach to the new stunt is completely f#cked over and I saw a dude fall off of it because it was so sketchy.

Brad, let me know if you want to meet up next week to fix the all the damage that has been done. I think it should be done when the weather is warming up and drying out all the stuff, but it would be nice to work during some good weather and have the soil still be a little wet for easy shaping. Unfortunately I cannot do this by myself, I lack any tools except a spade shovel.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby xcrdr » May 27th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Wow, not cool. Thanks for the pics Patrick.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Re: Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby dauber76 » May 27th, 2011, 10:12 pm

pfox90 wrote:Rode the green loop today and went to check out the damage on the trails due to the storm as well as riders. Then green loop was pretty good and I only had to walk the one spot on the last climb (before you get to the 4 tier root section).

Few things:

Downed tree on the green loop right before you split the rooty tree technical thingy..... yeah. Anyways it was too big, it needs to be cut with a chainsaw, if anyone can get out there within the next few days I'm sure everyone would really appreciate it. I'm sure the green loop is going to get a lot of business with the string of sunny days next week.

Checked out the red loop to see what was up, and pretty much saw this coming. I suspect people have been out there riding in between the rain and what not, it is evident on the approaches to a lot of stunts and low areas. The approach to the new stunt is completely f#cked over and I saw a dude fall off of it because it was so sketchy.

Brad, let me know if you want to meet up next week to fix the all the damage that has been done. I think it should be done when the weather is warming up and drying out all the stuff, but it would be nice to work during some good weather and have the soil still be a little wet for easy shaping. Unfortunately I cannot do this by myself, I lack any tools except a spade shovel.

Don't know what you guys expect. The ground is saturated and the trails won't be good until we get some sustained dry days. It would be great if people would just stay off them for a bit, but hey, if you want to ruin your drive train and cut grooves in the trail go ahead.

As for fixing the mud holes, a spade shovel sounds like the perfect tool.

I'll see about getting out there this weekend to take care of the tree.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby pfox90 » May 29th, 2011, 11:50 am

Fixed most of the rutted out sections in the playground and then moved over to the green to do some. The green is good, the rest is not. Especially the playground area, if you can don't ride it for a day or two because I'm not going out there again to fix that *beep*.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby xcrdr » May 29th, 2011, 2:08 pm

I haven't been out there yet this year. Thanks for getting some trail work in Patrick. Talk to the T.C. and see if he wants us to bring out some crushed stone and some generic kitty litter. I'll spring for it. We can toss it down in a few crucial spots. It would be better if people just stayed off till it's dry but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Let me know when you and I can meet up out there.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby centralRH » May 29th, 2011, 4:20 pm

pfox90 wrote:Fixed most of the rutted out sections in the playground and then moved over to the green to do some. The green is good, the rest is not. Especially the playground area, if you can don't ride it for a day or two because I'm not going out there again to fix that *beep*.

Thanks for the work Patrick, but people will continue to ride. We can go in and fix the mess when the weather is starting to look more favorable. Many of the spots will be easy to fix and will naturally smooth out. The others will need improved drainage, re-routes or land bridges.

I will be out there this coming week to figure out what needs to be done and set up a trail day to get this stuff fixed.
centralRH

Postby pfox90 » May 29th, 2011, 4:25 pm

I can say the mud pool that accumulates water at the end of the berm section would be pretty sick all wooded out with that paneling we used for the feature.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby centralRH » May 29th, 2011, 4:33 pm

That is one of my plans. Start with a low ladder bridge right off the berm then elevate the bridge a bit, roll down into a banked ladder bridge at the corner. This would lead in nicely to the new tall bridge. It will take a lot of wood and work, but I think we can do it.
centralRH

Postby pfox90 » May 29th, 2011, 4:35 pm

I don't think it is a matter of effort, because that bridge got banged out in a few hours. I think we just need this weather to cooperate. Which this week it seems like it will. Haven't checked my work schedule yet but I think the only time I'll be free is in the evenings.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby ramdadof3@yahoo.com » May 30th, 2011, 12:00 pm

If someone can figure out and post a work schedule, we'd love to come out and lend a hand on the trails.
2011 Favs
Luton - Gold
Fort Custer - Red
Holdridge - West Loop (including tech loop)
ramdadof3@yahoo.com

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions