Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby centralRH » February 15th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Icy. Probably not even much fun with studs because it is very rough. You could probably get around with or without but it doesn't look like much fun. I went to the river trial instead. It looked like the Red Cedar 'Cross course may have been O.K. to ride.
centralRH

Postby bockrona » March 15th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Trail was frozen this morning, but it looks like a mess waiting to happen. Wet and muddy with a couple sets of tracks throughout.

Lots of sticks and a few trees down. At least 2 trees on blue, one on the shortcut, and one on the first half, halfway back to the river. There were some on red and green too, but I'm not remembering where specifically. I thought it would be easy to tell on strava where my speed went to zero, but it looks like the program edits out those parts. I think there is one pretty early on green.

Once it dries a little, I'll take a walk out there and kick the sticks off the trail. If we get some cold overnights, I'll likely ride sat or sun morning this weekend. Depending on how much, and what kind of snow we get.
bockrona

Postby jonw9 » March 15th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Did you read the posts that some if the TCs aren't clearing trails until after they dry out, specifically to discourage pizza cutters.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby dauber76 » March 16th, 2013, 7:55 am

jonw9 wrote:Did you read the posts that some if the TCs aren't clearing trails until after they dry out, specifically to discourage pizza cutters.

W9, you be quiet and stay on your side of the state. We don't take kindly to your parts around here.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby bockrona » March 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Rode the fresh snow this morning. Trail seems slightly pliable under the snow and some fat bikes might do a good job of smoothing it out.
bockrona

Postby centralRH » March 21st, 2013, 4:25 pm

Conditions O.K. A bit slick, but certainly O.K. to ride. It will get soft quick with any warm-up. Especially the beginning of the blue loop.

I removed most the trees with my hand saw. There are still 2 requiring a chainsaw. One is almost dead center of the red loop near the end of the depression (i.e., the bowl). The other is on the upper green. Also, there is one early in the lower green, but it is not as much a problem as the other 2.
centralRH

Postby SteveF » March 24th, 2013, 11:27 am

Freeze/thaw cycle has had its way out there and there's a fair bit of ice now-I'd estimate 25% of the trail is ice. Some is crunchy and provides a bit of traction but there's some glare ice too. I enjoyed a full lap on my fat bike but I would've liked to have studs in a few places. The worse is on red from around the log-over entrance off the road to the blue trail fork.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby reidabel » March 24th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Got tired of waiting for the temperature to rise and make the trails nice, so I decided to try riding on the snow and ice this morning. Not as bad as I thought it would be, though of course I had to go slow - it felt kind of like riding a skinny the whole time - trying not to fall. I had several falls and learned a few lessons and no doubt improved my overall knowledge. I rode the tall bridge in the Playground and spun the rear wheel in the midst of it, but luckily kept on track. The log piles are basically the same with snow on them as they are without. The log skinnies are another matter, I only tried one and thought I was going to make it all the way but went off the edge halfway through. Decided not to try any more skinnies at that point.

Saw the logs Brad mentioned, but had no saw with me.

All in all, a fun ride, when dressed very warmly. Probably 40% rutted ice, 20% bare dirt, 30% frozen leaves, and 10% crunchy snow. But all mixed in together ...
reidabel

Postby centralRH » April 2nd, 2013, 6:32 pm

Trail is fairing pretty well. Certainly good enough to ride with a couple caveats. If there is a cold night and heavy frost, ride early before the top layer thaws. Otherwise, avoid riding for a day or go late in the evening. If rain, avoid for at least a day. There will be some short sections where you will sink in a bit. Please do not widen the trails in these areas by riding around. Currently the red and blue loops are better than the green. If this weather pattern holds, the green should be good soon as well.
centralRH

Postby rvd » April 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Trail was in great shape Saturday; very grippy without any real soft areas left. However, with the rain we had today, it may be better to stay off for a while again :evil:

centralRH wrote:Not sure who put it in, but the "new" trail leading into the red loop will be covered next time I have the right tools with me. It's too fall line and completely unnecessary.

It's still there (or again), beautifully cleaned up with a leaf blower or rake.
rvd

Postby centralRH » April 8th, 2013, 5:50 pm

rvd wrote:Trail was in great shape Saturday; very grippy without any real soft areas left. However, with the rain we had today, it may be better to stay off for a while again :evil:

centralRH wrote:Not sure who put it in, but the "new" trail leading into the red loop will be covered next time I have the right tools with me. It's too fall line and completely unnecessary.

It's still there (or again), beautifully cleaned up with a leaf blower or rake.

I never got to cover it before the snow fell. Anyway, I plan to re-route both those options into the red loop.
The original trail has 2 very large widow makers overhanging that I would like to go around instead of cut and the "new" trail goes up too much fall line to be sustainable for long.
There is a nice option to the left of the original trail...big rock and a couple others in the area will make a nice feature.

Anyway, trail conditions will likely be poor the entire week and maybe into the weekend.
centralRH

Postby pfox90 » April 21st, 2013, 12:21 pm

How is it out here?
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby bockrona » April 28th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Trail is getting drier. Still some puddles and mud, but is mostly rideable.

A few trees down. One a quarter mile in on blue, one on the blue shortcut. A couple new speedbump log piles on green too, but they both take fun out of their sections instead of adding fun. Even though I don't like the stunts or their placing, thank you to whoever it is putting time and effort into the trail.
Last edited by bockrona on May 1st, 2013, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bockrona

Postby SteveF » April 28th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Still some puddles and mud, but is mostly rideable.

Yup.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby bleve » April 29th, 2013, 12:39 am

Rode Friday night and it wasn't too bad. There were a pair of trees down early on the green and then a big one down right where the split entry skinny is. I moved two trees that had fallen across green close to the road and I think there was still one more that needs a saw before the road. Short section of green across the road was still mucky and I should've known better than to try that. Only rode the red after that and there were two spots where there was standing water in a ditch but the rest was okay. Skipped blue as I saw a puddle right at the start.
bleve

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments