Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby Felt6 » May 12th, 2011, 6:10 am

I was out there yesterday trimming on blue. I didn't get all the way around blue before I had to go. In one spot I stopped to trim a bit and within seconds bees came swarming. It was near a large arched limb shortly before blue joins red, so beware. I did log the hour on the system. Thanks for that hours log it makes it easy.
slower is faster, brake less, pedal more, Do it better by bike.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby pfox90 » May 12th, 2011, 10:13 am

Thanks Alan for doing that. Sorry you got attacked. Let me know when your going out there so we can do the skinny and also fix up the entry on that log bridgish type stunt.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Felt6 » May 12th, 2011, 10:18 am

If the weather holds out I will be in the playground around 9:30 for trail work.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby pfox90 » May 12th, 2011, 12:35 pm

930 tonight? Tmrw morning?
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Felt6 » May 12th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Sorry, Saturday morning.

2011 Felt Six LTD
1988 Jamis Dakota
2015 Cannondale Synapse
1989 SE Quadangle
2015 Cannondale CAADX
Felt6

Postby pfox90 » May 12th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Alright I'll give you a call sat morning if it is looking ok.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby DirtWrench » May 12th, 2011, 1:47 pm

First time riding this trail and have to say I was pleasantly surprised, moderately technical in spots, some fun tight squeezes through the trees. I Rode Green and I *think* half of the red and then half of the blue. Got a little confused with the current map. I assume that I switched over from the red to the blue trail, right after a little grassy meadow on the shore of the river (this was just past where I saw a stump warning sign in the middle of the river).

Didn't have any problem with overgrowth, but i think i will start to carry a set of clippers in my bag anyways. Want to ride today, but everything around Lansing will be muck... Guess i'll get out the roadie..
The Internet King? I wonder if he could provide faster nudity?
DirtWrench

Postby centralRH » May 12th, 2011, 2:11 pm

I think you missed the left turn on the ridge by the river. If you came to a grassy opening by the river and could see the stump sign you most likely missed this turn (although you can see that sign from atop the ridge also).
centralRH

Postby ramdadof3@yahoo.com » May 12th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Are there maps at the trailhead or should I print one?
2011 Favs
Luton - Gold
Fort Custer - Red
Holdridge - West Loop (including tech loop)
ramdadof3@yahoo.com

Postby alec » May 12th, 2011, 6:06 pm

ramdadof3@yahoo.com wrote:Are there maps at the trailhead or should I print one?

There is a posted map, but none you can take with you and none out on the trail, so you might want to print one. On the other hand the area isn't really that big, so it's impossible to get lost for very long.
alec

Postby jonw9 » May 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm

ramdadof3@yahoo.com wrote:Are there maps at the trailhead or should I print one?

Or just post up here, or on the Facebook page and there may be decent odds you could get your own Anderson Park Sherpa to show you around!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anderson ... 4040588930
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby peterlcole » May 12th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Just got back from riding the red loop for the first time this year - everything looks great! I missed the skinny because I wasn't paying attention, but the high bridge was fun. Thanks for all the work you guys have done!
peterlcole

Postby centralRH » May 13th, 2011, 7:16 am

The old map is still up at the green loop trail head, the small map that was up at the red loop was stolen. I have not replaced the kiosk map with the new one yet (hopefully this weekend). The arrows on the green loop are still not up, but it is easy to follow. If you park at the green loop trail head, the green loop starts across from the parking.

The place is not very big and you should never get really lost. The trails are bounded by the river and the road.

Here is my recommended route to ride 95% of the trails in one fairly continuous loop minimizing the amount of time on the road:
Park at the green loop trial head. Ride the road north to the start of the blue loop. On the blue loop take the left fork after crossing the bridge. Shortly after you reach the river the blue and red loops come together; stay right on the blue loop. Finish off the blue loop (you will pass another option to head to the red loop...skip this option). The blue loop ends at the red loop trail head; this should be pretty obvious. Don't exit. Just shoot straight onto the red loop. Take the right turn up the small hill. Once you reach the top you are now entering the Playground. Technical features are currently being built in this area. There are bypasses for all the features and it is your responsibility to inspect all features prior to riding. When you come to an intersection with a red and green arrow; follow the red (left). Follow the red loop arrows back to the river. There is one turn on the ridge by the river (alluded to above) that can be easy to miss. The trail shoots off to the left. If you miss this turn you will end up in an open sandy/grassy area by the river. Follow the trail until the red and blue come together. You should recognize this section from riding the blue loop. This time stay on the red (left). Follow until you come to another sign post. This sign will have two red arrows. The top continues the loop, the bottom heads you back out to the river. If you want to repeat the section of trail that you just rode, follow the bottom arrow, otherwise continue on by following the top. You may eventually notice the road again. Do not exit. Stay on the red loop and ride the Playground a second time. When you reach the post with the Red and Green arrow exit the red loop and head towards the green loop by going over the log pile. On the road take a left. Ride up the hill on the road to the start of the green (this will soon be changed and you will be able to jump back on the trail shortly after the easement. You can already use the trail that is there but the trial is not designed to ride this direction, especially the right turn at the top). Ride the entire south green loop then shoot straight across the road and ride the north green loop (stay left at the one intersection on this section of trail). You should now be back at your vehicle...Repeat.

Once you get to know how all the loops, especially the red and blue, work together you can create several route variations to keep things interesting. It is even better if you also know where the old trails go. :D

Perhaps it is time to start up a group ride? Thursdays?
centralRH

Postby jacked » May 13th, 2011, 8:45 am

centralRH wrote: I have not replaced the kiosk map with the new one yet (hopefully this weekend).

New Maps!!!! I'm so excited!
jacked

Postby pfox90 » May 13th, 2011, 9:01 am

get pumped
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions