Mid-State: Anderson Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby TenSpeed » May 8th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I hit it today because it looked like someone had worked on it. They had not, so it was a little rough. Rode the entire thing today, and I am liking it. Blue trail is pretty cool, still like the green, then the red. Now that I understand the signage a bit more, it makes sense.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Re: Re: Mid-State: Anderson Park

Postby TenSpeed » May 8th, 2011, 2:55 pm

xcrdr wrote:
heavy fluid wrote:
jonw9 wrote:
heavy fluid wrote:Fell of the bridge while riding.......

The river trail?

Touche'.

Touche' or Douche' ?

Either would apply in this situation. 8)
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby pfox90 » May 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Rode Anderson today and have a few notes:

Built up a jump on the Green Loop about 1/4 of the way through. It's nothing special but it comes off a nice hill so you can get some fun air.

You split two trees and when you see the green sign, it gives you the green light to mash down and get some speed for what lies ahead.

This jump has some height! It is built over a log that is about 1ft off the ground, not too big but coming down the hill you can get some good air.

The entrance of the jump is pretty noticeable now, people may have done it up last year but the soil had all eroded down so it wasn't the best jump. It goes into a large landing zone so don't be afraid of getting some good speed.

The last berm is still completely rutted out on the red, I'm going to wait until it dries out and then bring a shovel out there to get all the ruts out. It probably won't do much though because I'm sure that is a spot that holds water after the rains.

Also, towards the end of the blue loop, there is this log bride ride. I think when it got re routed someone forgot that the back end (now the entry) needed to be built up as there is a 1.5ft log that I sure as *beep* can't clear, and I can't see anyone else clearing it. I didn't have a good log I could find but if someone could address this the next time they are out that way that would be cool.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby jonw9 » May 9th, 2011, 1:23 pm

pfox90 wrote:Rode Anderson today and have a few notes:

Built up a jump on the Green Loop about 1/4 of the way through. It's nothing special but it comes off a nice hill so you can get some fun air.

The entrance of the jump is pretty noticeable now, people may have done it up last year but the soil had all eroded down so it wasn't the best jump. It goes into a large landing zone so don't be afraid of getting some good speed.

The last berm is still completely rutted out on the red, I'm going to wait until it dries out and then bring a shovel out there to get all the ruts out. It probably won't do much though because I'm sure that is a spot that holds water after the rains.

Also, towards the end of the blue loop, there is this log bride ride. I think when it got re routed someone forgot that the back end (now the entry) needed to be built up as there is a 1.5ft log that I sure as *beep* can't clear, and I can't see anyone else clearing it. I didn't have a good log I could find but if someone could address this the next time they are out that way that would be cool.

I always thought that that log was a pseudo-jump. It looked like the occasional rider hit is as it was. Nice job smoothing out the approach. Now that will be easier than trying to "thread the needle"!

As for the berms on Red, I don't recall that spot being an issue in previous years. It looked like with the amount of rain we had the water just ran down to this spot. Maybe we can try to redirect it for the future.

I asked before, did you or another park person remove your log ride at the beginning of green, or was that vandalized?
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby pfox90 » May 9th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Idk what log ride your talking about, I've never seen it.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby centralRH » May 9th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Thanks for the work on the jump. I still like to "thread the needle" at high speed, but the jump is a good option.

The mud pit on the red was never an issue before, but I can see how it could easily become a re-occurring issue. There is an old eroded trail that goes straight up the fall line to the north of the pit. This trench is catching water and bringing it right below the berm. I tried to create a drainage nick below the berm, but it was too late. The way I see it we can solve the issue two ways: 1) remove soil from the trail tread to the north and place on the current mud pit. This should help create a spot for water to flow across the trail while raising the trail tread of the problem area. Or, 2) soon after the berm start a low ladder bridge, to a banked/curved ladder bridge. This would fit well with the "theme" of the area.

The log over at the end of the blue-loop didn't get switched around because there were no materials available (the old log on the other side was too rotten to transfer). Use the by-pass for now, but eventually a couple boards will be placed to get up on the logs.

The green loop log ride (Joe's) has been knocked down a few times....looks like it is time for some long galvanized spikes.
centralRH

Postby pfox90 » May 9th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Ok, the next time I see Alan out there working the power tools we could head over there and make a new entry for the log ride in a few minutes.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby xcrdr » May 9th, 2011, 2:25 pm

That's the one I was talking about Patrick, good job. Now I just have to slow down all the criminals coming in so I can ride it.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby pfox90 » May 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Rode out today and it was pretty hot out there. Definitely not used to the higher temps, looks like I'll be going early tmrw morning to avoid the 80* weather that's projected. Overall it was another good day on the trail, everything was soaked up and dry. The mosquitoes are out in full force I'll have to remember to spray down from now on. Ate a bug when I was riding and I didn't have enough spit to swallow so it kinda just moved in my mouth for a while.

On other note those skinnies are so fun, I could sit out there for hours just riding it. The hill gives you a lot of speed to just ride it so smooth. I hope we can get the more advanced one up soon maybe this weekend.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby pfox90 » May 11th, 2011, 11:05 am

Holy *beep* I have never encountered so many *beep* face slappers. I ate it a bunch today on the red and blue because you'd have a face full of branches and come into splitting two trees on a turn (basically the entire trail). Good thing handlebars are blunt, any sharper and I would have been impaled. Felt like mike Tyson blasted me in my abs.

Someone please get out there and clip those things, holy *beep*.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby jonw9 » May 11th, 2011, 11:15 am

pfox90 wrote:Holy *beep* I have never encountered so many *beep* face slappers. I ate it a bunch today on the red and blue because you'd have a face full of branches and come into splitting two trees on a turn (basically the entire trail). Good thing handlebars are blunt, any sharper and I would have been impaled. Felt like mike Tyson blasted me in my abs.

Someone please get out there and clip those things, holy *beep*.

Take some pruning shears with you next time, and trim them. No need to wait for a specific trail day or TC to do that.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby pfox90 » May 11th, 2011, 11:22 am

I won't be out till next week.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby centralRH » May 11th, 2011, 2:36 pm

The trees are starting to leaf out so branches are beginning to come into the trail. This is a perfect opportunity for anyone to conduct some impromptu trail work. I will do some trimming when I get the chance, but it may be awhile.

If you do some work please report your trail hours on the MidState trail hour log.
centralRH

Postby AllMountin' » May 11th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Would I need to sign one of those disclaimer forms before unleashing my titanium ratcheting loppers on the unsuspecting world- or is that only for *real* trail work/construction???
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby jonw9 » May 11th, 2011, 8:52 pm

AllMountin' wrote:Would I need to sign one of those disclaimer forms before unleashing my titanium ratcheting loppers on the unsuspecting world- or is that only for *real* trail work/construction???

We would appreciate you filling out the hours log (see my signature) so we can track the volunteers hours. You will then "accept" the waiver when you submit there. No actual form required.
jonw9

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions