Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby glr » April 5th, 2014, 12:15 pm

With the snow dissipating (or gone) and watching robins get worms out of my lawn this morning, i'm thinking of taking a look at Sharon Mills. Has anyone been out this way in a while? I know that most of the farm land out in this area is all open now, thinking that Sharon Mills might be getting close. Last year it was good a few weeks before everything else. I'll post up what its like after I take a look. Here's hoping!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » April 13th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hi All,
I made my annual Spring trail inspection hike at Sharon Mills today. On the basis of what I observed, I recommend not riding the trail for another week. It should be okay by Easter weekend, barring any large rain events. More specifically, there are some muddy areas along the western fence line in the northern field and a puddle covering the tail in the southwestern corner of the northern field.
Elsewhere, there are about 5 big trees down across the trail, but they can be stepped across until we can get a crew out there to remove them.
The trail across the northern side of the central east-west tree line is somewhat overgrown due to the fact that we cannot get the big mower down it. It’s passable though, just covered with leaves and twigs.
The main issue one will face riding the trail in the near future, however, is the disruption caused by the addition of a new power line. Construction has cut off the trail located in the northwest corner of the park. Temporarily, trail users will have to follow a construction road from the existing trail in the center of the northern part of the trail to beyond the power line towers near the west end of the park where they can rejoin the original trail. I will try to get back out to the park soon and flag this alternative route. When the construction is over we will re-establish the trail in the northwest corner of the park. There is also a construction zone along the eastern fence line that must be crossed, but the distance is relatively short and the existing trail on the other side of the disturbance can be seen. I will try to put up a map showing the temporary routes shortly.
Dog walkers are reminded to clean up after their pets when using the trail.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » April 13th, 2014, 8:25 pm

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,
I made my annual Spring trail inspection hike at Sharon Mills today. On the basis of what I observed, I recommend not riding the trail for another week. It should be okay by Easter weekend, barring any large rain events. More specifically, there are some muddy areas along the western fence line in the northern field and a puddle covering the tail in the southwestern corner of the northern field.
Elsewhere, there are about 5 big trees down across the trail, but they can be stepped across until we can get a crew out there to remove them.
The trail across the northern side of the central east-west tree line is somewhat overgrown due to the fact that we cannot get the big mower down it. It’s passable though, just covered with leaves and twigs.
The main issue one will face riding the trail in the near future, however, is the disruption caused by the addition of a new power line. Construction has cut off the trail located in the northwest corner of the park. Temporarily, trail users will have to follow a construction road from the existing trail in the center of the northern part of the trail to beyond the power line towers near the west end of the park where they can rejoin the original trail. I will try to get back out to the park soon and flag this alternative route. When the construction is over we will re-establish the trail in the northwest corner of the park. There is also a construction zone along the eastern fence line that must be crossed, but the distance is relatively short and the existing trail on the other side of the disturbance can be seen. I will try to put up a map showing the temporary routes shortly.
Dog walkers are reminded to clean up after their pets when using the trail.

Cheers, Norm

Let me know when your doing this Norm, Just try to get it ready prior to June 26th. Once the 27th gets here i'm going to more than likely be on paternity leave (I'll defiantly need a day away!).
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » April 15th, 2014, 11:45 am

Hi All,

An update on trail maintenance. The County says they will try to get a crew out to the park on the 24th to clear the fallen trees.

I hope to get out there this weekend and flag the temporary routes.

GLR, let me know when you might be available and we can rennovate the trail on the northside of the central treeline.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby G.Cook » April 15th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Norm , let me know if he need help with the renovation part .
G.Cook

Postby hotspurr » April 20th, 2014, 7:53 am

HI All,

I flagged temporary routes across the disturbances caused by the new powerline yesterday. Look for the orange flags. I'll see if Washtenaw Co. Parks knows if they are done working out there or if the power company is planning any remedial action to mitigate the disturbances. There are still a lot of "trneches" caused by the wheels of the heavy equipement that should be filled in.

I also flagged a replacement route for the trail that has grown over in the northwest corner. It's marked with white flags. As soon as the Parks crew removes the deadfall this Thursday we can mow in this new trail when convenient. We can start with a lawn mower to establish the tread and then follow that up with the riding mower. The goal is to make the replacement trail easy to maintain so that it is not lost again.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments