Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby glr » April 5th, 2014, 12:15 pm

With the snow dissipating (or gone) and watching robins get worms out of my lawn this morning, i'm thinking of taking a look at Sharon Mills. Has anyone been out this way in a while? I know that most of the farm land out in this area is all open now, thinking that Sharon Mills might be getting close. Last year it was good a few weeks before everything else. I'll post up what its like after I take a look. Here's hoping!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » April 13th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hi All,
I made my annual Spring trail inspection hike at Sharon Mills today. On the basis of what I observed, I recommend not riding the trail for another week. It should be okay by Easter weekend, barring any large rain events. More specifically, there are some muddy areas along the western fence line in the northern field and a puddle covering the tail in the southwestern corner of the northern field.
Elsewhere, there are about 5 big trees down across the trail, but they can be stepped across until we can get a crew out there to remove them.
The trail across the northern side of the central east-west tree line is somewhat overgrown due to the fact that we cannot get the big mower down it. It’s passable though, just covered with leaves and twigs.
The main issue one will face riding the trail in the near future, however, is the disruption caused by the addition of a new power line. Construction has cut off the trail located in the northwest corner of the park. Temporarily, trail users will have to follow a construction road from the existing trail in the center of the northern part of the trail to beyond the power line towers near the west end of the park where they can rejoin the original trail. I will try to get back out to the park soon and flag this alternative route. When the construction is over we will re-establish the trail in the northwest corner of the park. There is also a construction zone along the eastern fence line that must be crossed, but the distance is relatively short and the existing trail on the other side of the disturbance can be seen. I will try to put up a map showing the temporary routes shortly.
Dog walkers are reminded to clean up after their pets when using the trail.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » April 13th, 2014, 8:25 pm

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,
I made my annual Spring trail inspection hike at Sharon Mills today. On the basis of what I observed, I recommend not riding the trail for another week. It should be okay by Easter weekend, barring any large rain events. More specifically, there are some muddy areas along the western fence line in the northern field and a puddle covering the tail in the southwestern corner of the northern field.
Elsewhere, there are about 5 big trees down across the trail, but they can be stepped across until we can get a crew out there to remove them.
The trail across the northern side of the central east-west tree line is somewhat overgrown due to the fact that we cannot get the big mower down it. It’s passable though, just covered with leaves and twigs.
The main issue one will face riding the trail in the near future, however, is the disruption caused by the addition of a new power line. Construction has cut off the trail located in the northwest corner of the park. Temporarily, trail users will have to follow a construction road from the existing trail in the center of the northern part of the trail to beyond the power line towers near the west end of the park where they can rejoin the original trail. I will try to get back out to the park soon and flag this alternative route. When the construction is over we will re-establish the trail in the northwest corner of the park. There is also a construction zone along the eastern fence line that must be crossed, but the distance is relatively short and the existing trail on the other side of the disturbance can be seen. I will try to put up a map showing the temporary routes shortly.
Dog walkers are reminded to clean up after their pets when using the trail.

Cheers, Norm

Let me know when your doing this Norm, Just try to get it ready prior to June 26th. Once the 27th gets here i'm going to more than likely be on paternity leave (I'll defiantly need a day away!).
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » April 15th, 2014, 11:45 am

Hi All,

An update on trail maintenance. The County says they will try to get a crew out to the park on the 24th to clear the fallen trees.

I hope to get out there this weekend and flag the temporary routes.

GLR, let me know when you might be available and we can rennovate the trail on the northside of the central treeline.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby G.Cook » April 15th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Norm , let me know if he need help with the renovation part .
G.Cook

Postby hotspurr » April 20th, 2014, 7:53 am

HI All,

I flagged temporary routes across the disturbances caused by the new powerline yesterday. Look for the orange flags. I'll see if Washtenaw Co. Parks knows if they are done working out there or if the power company is planning any remedial action to mitigate the disturbances. There are still a lot of "trneches" caused by the wheels of the heavy equipement that should be filled in.

I also flagged a replacement route for the trail that has grown over in the northwest corner. It's marked with white flags. As soon as the Parks crew removes the deadfall this Thursday we can mow in this new trail when convenient. We can start with a lawn mower to establish the tread and then follow that up with the riding mower. The goal is to make the replacement trail easy to maintain so that it is not lost again.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » April 24th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Hi All,

Turns out the Washtenaw Parks crew went out to the Park last Thursday, instead of today as advertised. They did a good job of cutting and removing the dead trees that had fallen on the well mowed part of the trail, but missed downed trees in the northwest corner and along the north side of the central tree line. They have promised to make annother visit to the park and let me know when, so I can tag along and show them what needs to be cut.

As for trail riding conditions, the river loop is open and in good shape. The northern loop is also in good shape except for the southwest corner of the northern field where the trail is still wet. So, if you ride the north loop walk your bike through this wet area. It should be okay in anoother week.

There are a bunch of yellow flags near Sharon Hollow Road on the eastern part of the trail. They mark a pipeline and should not be disturbed.

Plenty of wildlife to be seen, especially on the river; including Canada geese, mallards, and wood ducks. There are also reports of a beaver in the mill pond.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby Geff » April 24th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the updates and reports, Norm! The wildlife appearance is helpful as the winter past was so brutal. Nice to have more signs of spring.
Geff

Postby hotspurr » April 29th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Hi All,

The Washtenaw Co. Parks crew visited the park again today and I pointed out to them the rest of the downed trees that needed to be removed. They did a great job. Thanks Bryan and Kevin, we really appreciate your help.

The trail along the northside of the center treeline is now passable, but needs work to bring it back to a rideable state; mainly mowing and raking with a little lopping and clipping.

The fallen tree impediments to reconstructing the trail in the NW corner of the park are are gone now, too. We will be holding a trail work day soon to support this activity.

Highlight of the day: A big female turkey flew up next to the Gator. TC Dan Roy has observed a flock of turkeys out there over the winter with as many as 30 birds.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » April 29th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Norm, I will attempt to do some raking/face slapper work on the fence line either this week or next week. will standard pruning shears work, or is it hand saw stuff?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » April 30th, 2014, 8:54 am

Trevor,

Let me know when you are free. Good chance Greg and I could join you and we could knock off the northside of the center treeline. Dan has a mower on-site that we can use on the eastern, grassy end of the trail to re-define it.

Mainly, the western 2/3 needs raking and the shrubs and briars trimmed back. The eastern 1/3 needs mowing, a bit of trimming, and some very slight re-alignment or re-definition of the tread which may require a bit of pulaski/macleod work.

With a few guys the whole thing could be done in 2-3 hours.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby Geff » April 30th, 2014, 9:22 am

Please post up a time and day and maybe I can make it as well, if it is on the weekend.
Geff

Postby glr » May 1st, 2014, 5:56 pm

Norm and I did a fair amount of raking/pruning today. You can definitely tell where the trail on the North side of the fence row is now. This section of the trail is the coolest section of trail at the park. if any of you are interested in helping out let Norm know. if any of you have rode this trail in the last year or so will be surprised with how different this trail will look after these renovation is done. Norm will be planning a trail day soon. if you want to help out that would be the best time. If your like me and can't make a weekend, let me know and i may be able to meet you out there during the week sometime. Hopefully in the next few weeks the needed improvements will be done.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby djansen00 » May 5th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Sharon MIlls is one of the Poto Chapter's most scenic trails: Rolliing meadows, verdant agricultrual fields, wooded treelines, and the old mill pond along the Raisin River. This Saturday, from 9AM to 1 PM we are going to get it ready for the riding season. This will involve the following activities: 1) Rennovating about 1/4 mi of wooded single track; 2) cleaning up where some power lines cross the trail; 3) putting in a small partial re-route to avoid a wet spot; and 4) re-claiming about 1/2 mile of single-track in a meadow.

Meet at the parking lot located at the northeast corner of the park at 9AM. Wear protective typical protective clothing including boots, long pants and gloves. If you have clippers, a rake or a macleod or a pulaski, or a shovel, bring them. We could also use lawnmowers or a brushmower, if you have access to one.

There's lots of wildlife to see, too. Typically, we see turkeys, sandhill cranes, wood ducks, etc. Bring your bike, too, for an after work day ride.

For more information call Norm at 734-426-5737.
Dave
Wheels in Motion Racing - http://wimracing.org
Dirty Dropouts Email Ride List - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dirtydropouts
djansen00

Postby hotspurr » May 5th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Trail Work Day at Sharon Mills this coming Saturday, May 10.

Sharon MIlls is one of the Chapter's most scenic trails: Rolliing meadows, verdant agricultrual fields, wooded treelines, and the old mill pond along the Raisin River. This Saturday, from 9AM to 1 PM we are going to get it ready for the riding season. This will involve the following activities: 1) Rennovating about 1/4 mi of wooded single track; 2) cleaning up where some power lines cross the trail; 3) putting in a small partial re-route to avoid a wet spot; and 4) re-claiming about 1/2 mile of single-track in a meadow.

Meet at the parking lot located at the northeast corner of the park at 9AM. Wear protective typical protective clothing including boots, long pants and gloves. If you have clippers, a rake or a macleod or a pulaski, or a shovel, bring them. We could also use lawnmowers or a brushmower, if you have access to one.

There's lots of wildlife to see, too. Typically, we see turkeys, sandhill cranes, wood ducks, etc. Bring your bike, too, for an after work day ride.

For more information call Norm at 734-426-5737
hotspurr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments