Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby hotspurr » October 14th, 2010, 7:45 pm

HI All,

Sharon Mills was mowed double wide today. Should be good for the rest of the year. The extra width will make the trail suitable for cross-country skiing, too. One caution: There is a tree trunk down across the trail on the east end of the trail on the north side of the old road. I'll bring the chainsaw out next week and remove it.
its a good time of the year to ride along the river and look at the color. The nearby gravel roads to the north and northeast in the Sharon Short Hills are also very nice riding; color and lots of ups and downs. Cap it all off with a trip to Alber's Orchard on Bethel Church Road for cider and do-nuts.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby wavenet » August 3rd, 2011, 10:34 am

Has the Sharon Mills trail been abandoned?
wavenet

Postby cmkovick » August 3rd, 2011, 1:43 pm

wavenet wrote:Has the Sharon Mills trail been abandoned?

I had helped Norm out there in 09 and last year went out there to do some cleanup a few times with my wife and kids, but I had a schedule change at work (changed to days) and with 2 young kids I have not made it out there myself. It's a bummer because that could be a fun trail. A cutting and weed killer (probably not an option) would do it good. Or this is one where some running events sure would benefit it. I think part of the issue with the trail was it got very little use even when freshly mowed because it is a ways out for most people and with the Poto, Brighton, etc closer for most it makes it tough to drive farther.
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » August 15th, 2011, 7:46 am

Hi All,

The Sharon Mills Trail was double wide mowed last week (Aug. 10th) and all the fallen trees cleared off the trail. It should be in good shape for late summer and fall riding/hiking.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » May 18th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Hi All,

I am happy to report that the Sharon Mills trail will be open for riding/hiking this weekend. Enjoy a visit to this unique park and pedal/walk along the beautiful Raisin River. Special thanks are due to Dan Roy for looking after the trail and getting it ready for riding.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » June 6th, 2012, 8:28 am

Hi All,

Thanks to the great efforts of our Sharon Mills trail coordinator, Dan Roy, the trail is in great shape. The section of the trail down by the Raisin River is especially nice to ride or hike. There is also lots of wildlife in the area that can be observed. Go early in the morning or just before sunset and you will see a variety of critters. For example, lots of big turtles have been observed layng eggs in the nearby farm fields.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » January 23rd, 2013, 10:46 pm

is Sharon mills open in the winter, does anyone have any maps of the trails?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 24th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Snow was melting, didn't ride. I checked the trail out for the first time, but just walked it a little. A bit overgrown. Does the trail actually go down to the Raisin River?
Steve_Balogh

Postby SCKid » February 26th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:Snow was melting, didn't ride. I checked the trail out for the first time, but just walked it a little. A bit overgrown. Does the trail actually go down to the Raisin River?

Yes
SCKid

Postby hotspurr » April 1st, 2013, 7:27 pm

Hi All,

A map of the trail is available for download from the Chapter trail guide. Here is a link to the map:
http://mmba.org/library/maps/sharonmill ... 5Oct08.jpg The current configuration of the trail is slightly different from what is shown. The trail does go down to the river and provides good views of migrating waterfowl in the Spring. Please do not ride or walk on the trail when it is muddy. Ruts created in minutes in Spring can last all year.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 1st, 2013, 8:14 pm

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,

A map of the trail is available for download from the Chapter trail guide. Here is a link to the map:
http://mmba.org/library/maps/sharonmill ... 5Oct08.jpg The current configuration of the trail is slightly different from what is shown. The trail does go down to the river and provides good views of migrating waterfowl in the Spring. Please do not ride or walk on the trail when it is muddy. Ruts created in minutes in Spring can last all year.

Cheers, Norm

Thanks for posting - I thought all of that land west of the trailhead was that homeowner's farmland, didn't realize the park boundary circled his property and that whole view was the park. Now I see where the river trail really is.
Steve_Balogh

Postby glr » April 1st, 2013, 9:18 pm

Sweet, thanks for the map. I live not to far from there. Look forward to riding (hopefully soon).
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby glr » April 4th, 2013, 8:00 am

Has anyone been out to the trails recently to see if its dried up some? I'm going to attempt to head out that way next week with the intent to hike and the hope to ride. Wasn't sure if the T.C. had informed anyone as to what the trail conditions were.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby G.Cook » April 4th, 2013, 8:58 am

You might contact Mike Casey at http://aberdeenbike.com/
He has plans for the trail last time I spoke with him a few weeks back. So he maybe up on it's currant conditions.
G.Cook

Postby glr » April 7th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Decided to try Sharon Mills for the first time tonight. Did leave pizza cutters, but only where all the moles had there tunnels in the north end (you know, eating the worms). Trail is totally dry. Did stop the first lap to clear some down trees and sticks periodically. My new saw works great, by the way. I was very impressed. For only being 3.8 miles the trail has a bit of everything, along with some great views of the river. Does have a bit of overgrowth, but not to bad, only question on the south side of the hills loop the trail seems like it was let go, or maybe it wasn't mowed the past few times, is that section going to maintained in the future? Decided to do a few laps, had some fun. This trail was cool overall, I will ride it again.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments