Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby hotspurr » October 10th, 2009, 7:32 am

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the update. By first log jump, do you mean down by the river? I'll try to get out therre this week to remove it and do a final mowing for the year.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby lhczth » October 26th, 2009, 11:31 pm

You are welcome.

No, if you were following the trail as marked it was in the first .5 miles of so of the trail. Another friend was out there recently and moved the tree the rest of the way off of the trail.

So far on the rest of the trail I have only had to move a few small branches.

Lisa
lhczth

Postby hotspurr » April 5th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Hi All,

Did the Spring inspection ride out at Sharon Mills today (Monday, 5 April) and I am pleased to report the trail is in good shape and ready for riding. In addition to riding, this is a great trail for viewing nature. i saw sand hill cranes, Canada geese, wood ducks, muskrats, and field sparrows, as well as deer tracks and fox and coyote scat. Other times I have also observed turkeys, mallards and great blue herons.
We are looking for a trail coordinator for this trail and persons to adopt sections of the trail. The trail coordinator periodically checks the trail and reports any problems to the Chapter and also organizes maintenance (mowing, trimming, trail work days, etc.). Adopters look after specific sections of trail and keep brush trimmed back, mow/weed whack (if possible) and report any issues to the trail coordinator. We'd really like some local folks to take over these positions. Respond here or call me at 734-426-5737 if you can help.
If anyone has time there is a dead tree that has fallen close to the side of the trail along the river. It's probably 8-10 inches in diameter and not actually across the trail but it would be safer if it was trimmed back a bit. Also, the sections of trail along the river and on both sides of the old road could use going over with a broom rack to remove small twigs and other debris that has accumulated over the winter.
BTW, it looks like hikers are using the trail more than bikers at this point. Do your bit to even the odds. :-)

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby SCKid » June 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

Any word on the conditions? Been I good month since I have made it out there. Figured with all the rain, that one section would be underwater
SCKid

Postby hotspurr » June 8th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Hi,
Hasn't been mowed yet this year to my knowledge, so could be brushy. We haven't had much help maintaining this trail so we are behind in maintenance. We plan to mow it next week. Any help with maintenance would be greatly appreciated, even just reporting on conditions.

Thanks, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » June 27th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Hi All,

The entire trail was mowed on Friday, seven downed trees removed, and the area along the river was weedwhacked last Monday, so the trail is now open again. For the time being, however, it may be more suitable for hiking than mountain biking. There are still some "faceslappers" here and there and it will take a few days for the cut vegetation to dry out and pack down. Plus, it is likely that there may be a few thorns in the mowed areas in the old fields. We could really use some help with trimming the overhanging weeds and branches and raking the trail, if anyone has the time.
Special thanks to Mike Braddock who helped out with the mowing on Friday!
Note that the area on the east side of the trail along Sharon Hollow Road has been wet at times due to the large of amount of rain in June. We'll be looking at ways to deal with this now that it seems like it may be a continuing issue.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby SCKid » September 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am

Stopped by the trail head this morning, as I happen to be out that way. Nature has won. There is no sign of a start and finish for the trail. Gonna take someone with a real good memory to mow it and reclaim it.
SCKid

Postby hotspurr » September 5th, 2010, 7:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for the report. I will get on it this coming week. I'll bring the big mower out that we rent from Carpenter Bros Hardware.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » September 11th, 2010, 8:26 am

Hi All,

The entire trail was mowed yesterday (Sept. 10) and two fallen trees removed. It's very definitely hikeable now. Riding might be a little rough due to accumulations of mowed vegetation and drooping tall weeds in a few places. But that just means we need more riders. The area is especially pretty in the fall and the views along the river are very nice. If you go and have the chance, bend some of those tall weeds back to improve the riding.

We definitely need help maintaining this trail. If have some time, please let me know.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby wolverinefrog » September 12th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Three cheers for Norm! I "rode" this a week ago and it was HARD to find the trail in points. Very fun to ride when the corn is tall. It is the perfect ride on my way home from work. Just enough for some mid week riding.

Thanks for restoring it norm. We'll knock the weeds down.
wolverinefrog

Postby SCKid » September 14th, 2010, 10:53 am

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,

The entire trail was mowed yesterday (Sept. 10) and two fallen trees removed. It's very definitely hikeable now. Riding might be a little rough due to accumulations of mowed vegetation and drooping tall weeds in a few places. But that just means we need more riders. The area is especially pretty in the fall and the views along the river are very nice. If you go and have the chance, bend some of those tall weeds back to improve the riding.

We definitely need help maintaining this trail. If have some time, please let me know.

Cheers, Norm

Thanks! If I can ever get my life back ( boy love the kids but do they suck the time) I may offer to help. It is a great trail to have close by for a quick ride and is very beautiful especially near the river!
SCKid

Postby cmkovick » September 23rd, 2010, 1:59 pm

Norm,
I left you a VM on the number you listed above about helping out and being the TC for this trail if one is still needed.

Chuck
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » September 25th, 2010, 8:08 am

Chuck,

I got the info and sent it along to Bill Mayer, who will get it on the Chapter webpage. Welcome as the Chapter's newest Trail Coordinator. Keep me posted if any "heavy equipment," like chainsaws, are needed to keep the trail open.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby cmkovick » September 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Got out for a little trail work today with my wife and kids. Another friend joined with his 2 kids as well. We trimmed a few branches and clipped some of the leaner weeds from the start to where the trail runs along the corn. Not too far, but far enough with young kids in tow. Also got all the beer bottles and cans picked up from around the parking area.

Chuck
Waterloo Working Group
Fatback 190 aka Big Booty Queen B of Waterloo
Stumpy Marathon HT
Salsa El Mariachi SS
KLR 650
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » September 29th, 2010, 9:51 am

Thanks, Chuck.

Sharon Mills is a great trail to hike or ride this time of the year. Your clean up efforts will make it all the more enjoyable for many users. I like to combine a ride there with one on the gravel roads in the nearby Sharon Short Hills, followed by a visit to Albers Orchard for cider and doughnuts.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments