Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby hotspurr » July 23rd, 2009, 3:47 pm

I'll take my weed whacker along tomorrow morning and see if I can uncover some of those stumps a little better. I can provide tools for anyone else who wants to join in on the fun. Don't forget the Chapter meeting next Wednesday. We should have a progress report on the proposed Waterloo Trail by then.

Norm
hotspurr

Postby tadraper » July 24th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Took my daughters out to the trail tonight and the three of us had a good ride. You guys did a great job out there today sorry i could not make it.

Terry
tadraper

Postby bill_m » July 25th, 2009, 2:22 am

Norm mowed for six hours solo on Friday. That guy does an incredible amount of work.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby cmkovick » July 26th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Norm is a trooper!
Once I heal up from my Make A Wish ride I will be ready to help out when i can get a sitter or my wife and kids come out with me. This trail can be easy for the family or a nice fast ride for others. I am excited to see if we can open up some more trails in the near future.

For the wet seasons an alternate re-route may be a good idea. I am not sure what that entails behind the scenes, but I am willing to help out with whatever is needed to make this a place people want to ride all the time.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » July 27th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Hi All,

We''ll be looking at some re-routes this fall to avoid the wet areas. This will entail contacting the County Parks Dept and seeing if we can negotiate cutting into some of the currenlty farmed area to get to higher ground. We'll have to flag proposed re-routes and then get Parks approval and farmer agreement. I don't expect any problems.

In the meantime, suggestions for any minor mods that we can make to improve the flow of the trail or to add more interest (and help to implement them) are more than welcome.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » August 8th, 2009, 8:17 am

Hi All,

Has anyone found a red plastic gas can at where the hill and riverside trails meet (at the eastern end of the old roadbed)? I stashed one there while mowing and now it has disappeared. :-(

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby SCKid » August 10th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Went out and rode monday night. A big Oak fell in the storms over the weekend about a 1/4 mile from the start. Luckily it fell mostly along side the trail. Spent about 20 min clearing the small stuff with the kids and came back later with the hand saw and took care of the last 3 or 4 branches. All Clear now. Rest of the trail was in great shape. No real wet spots which was surprising as I got 4" over the weekend and I am about 5 miles east of the trail. Even saw a couple of other users so the trail is getting popular.

Have noticed bikers riding it in reverse every other time I am out there. Sight lines are mostly good so no issue. Not sure why, Start seem reasonably well marked.

Sorry, didn't see any gas cans anywhere. Keep up the good work!
SCKid

Postby G.Cook » August 11th, 2009, 2:10 am

Because it is slightly easier with the elevation(s) at the end of the ride . Try it next time with that in mind and you will see what I mean . And yep ,clear sight lines with little traffic .
G.Cook

Postby hotspurr » August 11th, 2009, 7:47 am

Hi All,

There is no reason we can't reverse the "normal" direction of the trail. All it takes is moving a few signs and changing the map. Those of you who are riding it regularly give it a shot both ways and report back which way you like best. Or, we could just leave it as rider's choice.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby SCKid » August 11th, 2009, 10:22 am

I will need to try it in reverse next time I am out there. Does have a bit of evalvation at the end in the normal direction.
SCKid

Postby SCKid » August 25th, 2009, 2:35 pm

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,

There is no reason we can't reverse the "normal" direction of the trail. All it takes is moving a few signs and changing the map. Those of you who are riding it regularly give it a shot both ways and report back which way you like best. Or, we could just leave it as rider's choice.

Cheers, Norm

Finally made it back out there again. My two sons and I Road it in reverse this time. I will ride it a few more times for a final answer, but we did like the flow better in the reverse direction. Better views of the river and the sandy switchbacks where easier in that direction also. Not being a big fan of two way trails, I would cast a vote to "reverse" the trail .

Trail was in great shape. Some the more aggreesive weeds are tighten up the trail in a couple of spots, but all is good to go.
SCKid

Postby hotspurr » August 27th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the report. I'll make up a new map and reverse the direction. We'll post the new map on the website and I'll put a new map up on the bulletin board at the parking lot. Lastly we will have to move or reverse the trail markers, but I will need someone with an odometer to either do or help with that. Think we will need to mow the trail once more this year?

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby SCKid » September 1st, 2009, 10:54 am

Yes - one more mowing will probably be required, With all the rain, it has been a good growing season. I do have a bike computr with an odometer, not suer if I can volunteer tp repostion the signs yet, My youngest started football, so my schedule is fullish driving him to and fro. Let me know an I will try to see if I can squeeze in some time.
SCKid

Postby hotspurr » September 2nd, 2009, 8:33 am

HI All Sharon Mills Trail Volunteers,

When would you like to hold a trail day? I'll bring out the trailier and we can mow and trim everything up one last time, plus reverse the trail. Could even be a weekday aftrernoon if that works for everyone.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby lhczth » October 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

A tree has fallen across the trail at the first log "jump" if riding the marked direction. I was able to move it off of the main trail, but it is lying across the "jump". Please be careful.

Lisa
lhczth

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments