Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby bill_m » April 13th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Sharon Mills.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby bill_m » July 8th, 2009, 7:41 pm

We need help with Sharon Mills in Manchester.

The park really needs to be mowed. The Poto chapter has a sweet walk behind brush mower ready to go. We need someone who is willing to use it. Total job time would be a few hours. For sure it could be done in one day.

If you can help, please post here or send me an e-mail. There's even a six pack in it for you. It's a great workout to boot!

I know someone out there wants to have some fun with a bad ass piece of equipment!! 8)
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby hotspurr » July 13th, 2009, 8:46 am

Hi All,

Thanks to volunteer Chuck Kovick, who spent 4 hours out at Sharon Mills mowing last Friday, the trail is now rideable again. I'm also glad to report that the wet spots that cropped up last spring are now dry. We will be looking into re-routing those spots this fall to prevent that happening in the future, but it will involve taking some land out of crop production to get on higer ground so we will need Washtenaw County Parks to negotiate this with the farmer. We would like to have one more go-around with the brush cutter while it is out at the park to widen out the mowed trail. This shouldn't take nearly as long now that an initial mowing has cleared the way. To help out, call 734-426-5737.

Go for a ride and follow it up with a picnic at the mill site. It makes a great outing.
hotspurr

Postby cmkovick » July 13th, 2009, 10:53 am

Now that I have tackled the trail with a brush mower I think I will try it on my bike sometime this week. Let me know when you are heading back out for trail work and I will try to be there.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby tadraper » July 13th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Took my daughter out there today and rode the trail her first time. (Daughter said clean up the picker section) Happy that chuck did the mowing let me know when you all are going to do more if I have time I would be interested in helping
tadraper

Postby hotspurr » July 14th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I agree, the "picker" section needs cleaning up. When would be a good time to meet at the park for another go around? I could do tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, tomorrow evening, Thursday afternoon, and Saturday morning. Any of those match up with your availabilities?

Cheers, Norm (734-426-5737)

PS Chuck, how did the *beep* of a Ride go?
hotspurr

Postby cmkovick » July 14th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Hi Norm,

I am going to check if I can get a sitter Saturday for my kids so I can help out. Even if you have already been out there I may take the weed whip to clean up a few spots, but......that all depends on getting my dad talked into watching the kids 2 days in a row.
The elluva ride went really well for my first long rode ride. I did the 77 mile loop and learned a lot about group road riding. I talked with Terry and he is checking to see if Saturday may work for him as well.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » July 15th, 2009, 8:00 am

Hi Chuck,

Great. Keep me posted and we'll set a time and maybe even schedule a mini-workday for Saturday.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » July 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Hi All,

For anyone with some time available, there will be a workday at Sharon Mills Park this Saturday 18 July starting at 10 AM. Our goal is to finish the midsummer mowing and trimming of the trail. With a good turn out we can keep this trail in top shape for most of the rest of the summer. We'll have the brush cutter an mower on hand plus a couple of weed whackers and some loppers. A few hours out to do it. Join us if you can. Bring some stuff and have a picnic at the mill after the work is done. It's really nice to sit by the river and relax.

Call Norm for more details. 734-426-5737 home 734-474-2662 mobile
hotspurr

Postby cmkovick » July 16th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I am hoping I can make it. I am still waiting to see if my dad is willing to watch the kids for a third day in a row.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby cmkovick » July 17th, 2009, 3:20 pm

No go for a sitter for me. I think I will stop by with the kids so they can see action in the works. I may bring the weed whip and clean up the parking area.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby tadraper » July 17th, 2009, 9:23 pm

i will be there close to 11 with my daughter who is willing to help maybe with chucks kids.

Terry
tadraper

Postby cmkovick » July 20th, 2009, 8:47 am

6 of us rode the trail Saturday evening after we did the trail work Sat morning.
Norm was out there running the brush mower, Terry and his daughters helped clean up the thistle area and the briars near the river. I left after weed whipping the parking area/park entrance and missed out on helping to push the brush mower back to the parking lot when it stopped running. The brush mower died about the 1.5 mile mark so Terry and Norm had the pleasure to push that thing all the way back.
The river portion still has a few spots that need to be trimmed back. As Rex can tell you, the stumps will jump out at you.

As for the ride, the trail is shaping up. It is pretty fast with a few obstacles (logs) you can choose to ride/hop over. Rex and I ended up riding the river loop 3times while waiting for his brother and nephew (flat tire).

This is a great beginner trail or one you can use to go a little faster.

Chuck
cmkovick

Postby hotspurr » July 22nd, 2009, 9:40 am

Hi All,

Thanks to Bill and John we have got the brushcutter back into top mechanical shape. I am currently planning on trying to finish up the mowing at Sharon Mills on Friday morning. If I can tear myself away from watching the Tour, that is. Go, Lance!

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby cmkovick » July 22nd, 2009, 10:13 am

Good luck with the trail Norm. Friday morning I will be starting my ride back from Traverse City for the WAM. Also, along the river there are a few spots that need to be trimmed back a little more. While riding through there you come up on stumps that are hidden. Rex knows this all too well.

Chuck
cmkovick

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments