Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby mmrobertson69 » March 16th, 2015, 7:15 am

Hey Gary, my truck has a hitch. Give me a call/text when you want to get it.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 16th, 2015, 8:59 am

Whoops, it took me a while, but I realized my brain fart "vas", I totally meant the Tree Farm.
No, there is no pump track at Maybury, but there should be ! But, there will be one at Morton-Taylor !!

Thanks for your support Jfry, I will figure out a date soon and post it up giving people some notice.
Thanks for the offer of using your truck Mike, I will take you up on that !
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » March 16th, 2015, 12:13 pm

I'll help!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,807 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike--:477 miles

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 26th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Based on the plans of some key people I picked a date for our pump track work day(s). Saturday April 18th and Sunday the 19th.
We are going to pick up the Dingo on Saturday morning and be out there a good part of the day and then again on Sunday about the same time.

The plan is to get all the dirt moved where we want it and then start doing the fine tuning finish work to get it buffed and packed. (as much as we can)
Show up in the main parking lot at 9:30am and we will head back to the work area. Bring gloves, eye protection, water, snacks and a good shovel.

I will provide a late lunch/early dinner and replenishing drinks for those that show up to help us accomplish this task.
Obviously, if it is pouring down rain this will be postponed to not the following weekend, but the one of May 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks and hope to see you there,
SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » March 29th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Had some spare time this afternoon so I decided to go out to the West loop and scout out a reroute around the perpetual muddy section at the end of the West loop. Called Rich and he said he that he could meet me out there so we met at the main gate at 1:15. I had only planned on meeting to get some ideas, but the next thing I knew we were cutting a new section. The sun was out, the wind was down and we got to work rather quickly. It felt GREAT :D

We hadn't seen each other in quite some time so we were talking and cutting and getting things done. The sun was so warm that we were removing jackets in no time and cutting through the thick brush. By the time we had had enough, the skies had turned gray, the wind was picking up and we were both tired.

But, we roughed out the new reroute and it looked good ! Now the next step is to build some log piles, rake out the debris and decide where to install the
prebuilt boardwalks. Although we need to build one more and put them in place. The old section will be covered up and nature will take it's way to cover it.

We will be out there again next Sunday, weather permitting if you want to join us finish this nice new reroute. Should be fun as always. Thanks Rich !!!!

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 5th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Got to the trailhead parking lot about 10 this Easter morning, hauled some tools back and then came back and met Rich F. at my truck.
We got out to the new West loop quagmire (mud) reroute, built another short (7 foot) boardwalk section, Mike R. showed up to help with that
and we all proceeded to build a new large log pile, a small log pile and a log transition between two downed trees. The weather was perfect for it.

I walked off the new section and determined how much more boardwalk we are going to need so I'll be working on that this coming week.
My plan is to start laying out the sections of boardwalk and getting ready to secure them into place next weekend. Should be a nice new addition !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Dirtdevil » April 6th, 2015, 8:10 am

Gary, are sections of the trail dry enough to ride yet? Probably. to, but thought I'd ask as I'm leading a group ride out that way this evening & we'll be cutting thru on the east-west gravel path, but thought if a section was rideable, we'd hop on for a short spin.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 7th, 2015, 8:44 am

Hey Dirtdevil, I know this is probably too late, but the East loop usually dries up first, so that might your best bet. Haven't been out that way myself yet to confirm.
I know that the South loop (Dragon's Tail, Buckshaver and South Wetlands) are muddy and not ready for riding yet. The West loop including Lucky Dawg is pretty soft right now, too.
I will post up on here when the whole system is dried out, but please don't ride anything but the East loop for the time being. Thanks !

I know we talked about it last year, but I definitely want to plan at least a couple of Girlbike rides out there this year ! Always a great time. The new pump track will be ready for riding, too !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 19th, 2015, 7:19 pm

This past Saturday I had a great group of people show up to help me finish roughing in the rest of the pump track, getting it rideable and off to a
great start for this new section. It is still a work in progress, but we will be working on it over the next few weekends to make it better and with
improvements to the older section. I want to give a BIG Thank You out to the following people that helped me and got so much done in a short time !

Matt Dughi and Mike Faulk of the Novi Tree Farm pump track fame and beyond ! You were the force, expert tech/design assistance, get it done
attitude that we needed to knock this out. It was so cool working with you guys on what turned out to be an almost 12 hour day working hard/playing hard.

Rich Faunce for showing up right on time and did an amazing amount of work right up until the end of the day when even us younger guys took a break !

Mike Higgs and Evan Vollick-Offer from Sun & Snow Sports in downtown Plymouth showed up to make a contribution. Thank you so much guys !

Kevin ? (hearing impaired guy) who just showed up out of the blue and offered to grab a shovel and help out for a good chunk of the afternoon. Nice guy.

To my good friends Travis Roth and Tommy Maceri for coming out to help dig, talk bikes and work together on a beautiful day. We had great weather !

The first riders to ride it and try it out was a family of Dad, son and daughter (small) on bikes and a lab on a leash. They played on it a different times.
It was so cool to see a Dad stop and take the opportunity to share that moment with his "just starting out" kids. The other first riders were Mike & Matt,
Travis and last, but not least to the party - MIke Robertson brought his Kona Process and gave it a whirl.

We had a lot of help from the BobCat Skidsteer 175 from Garden City Rental (check them out, they offer good rates with great service !!) 2 thumbs up !
The Gatorade was going down easy, the chocolate chip cookies tasted great, the Little Caesar's deep dish pizzas were great as were the "refreshments".
Stop by the pump track in the next few weeks and check it out !

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ColorVoyeur » April 20th, 2015, 7:05 am

That was a good time SC! Thanks for having food and beverages!

I'm planning to get out there as soon as I can to help with some touch ups!

I'm excited to see how she mellows out and hardens up after this rain and some more riders!
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby Dirtdevil » April 20th, 2015, 8:58 am

I led a group of Girlbikers from the Hines singletrack down 275 path to Morton Taylor trails a few weeks ago. We were able to ride a very small portion of trail (not sure which section) and was surprised how dry it was-considering. The gals are very interested in a "tour" as soon as it all dries out!

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby steve.baker.31 » April 20th, 2015, 9:41 am

Newb here but I'm somewhat local and look forward to checking the trails out.
steve.baker.31

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 20th, 2015, 6:01 pm

steve.baker.31 - unfortunately this trail stays wetter longer than many of the other local trails and usually isn't rideable until May most years.
Please don't ride it when it's still wet and muddy, it's not good for you or the trail. But, when they dry out, please ride them as much you want to !

Dirtdevil, as soon as it is dry enough for a group tour I will contact you and make it happen at least a couple times this season,
I think it will be an awesome time as usual.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby steve.baker.31 » April 20th, 2015, 6:31 pm

I'll definitely wait until it's ready I'd hate to ruin them!
steve.baker.31

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments