For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby trailHED » December 11th, 2015, 10:19 pm

The trails were still fairly dry today.
trailHED

Postby pcollinskume » December 31st, 2015, 4:38 pm

Mor-Tay builders,
I've posted up here a few times. I've got some good trail building experience, and I noticed a lot of trees flagged with pink markers.
New trail in the works? I would love to help out. I've got some ideas for the long wet swampy sections (I'm sure you guys do too).
Let me know when you're working out there. Email: pcollinskume@gmail.com

There are currently a few trees down that I'll get eventually. Conditions are not favorable.

~PC
pcollinskume

Postby trailHED » January 3rd, 2016, 7:13 pm

Rode at noon today...crooked vulture, east loop and south loop were good and crunchy. Some soft spots on the west loop, dragons tail, and buckshaver.
trailHED

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » January 10th, 2016, 12:19 pm

pcollinskume, those pink markers are not from Rich or I that I know of. Could be leftover from an organized trail run ?
No plans on any new trail right now, just making an effort to maintain the current stuff and put in all new signage for this coming season this spring.
The new pumptrack definitely needs some work though and we could use some help digging to make that better ! I will post some dig days after the thaw.

By swampy area do you mean the end of the West loop ? If so, we have several boardwalks already built, stashed in the woods that are ready to go,
but we never got to installing them last year. We cut the bypass loop and I'm sure it needs to be cleared again, so we definitely could use some help
with that as well. We did some bridge repair last year, but there is a couple of others that need to be replaced, the one at the entrance of Lucky Dawg
and the small creek crossing in the middle of LD. Thanks for your efforts of removing any downed trees, that is always a BIG help for everybody !!

Keep an eye out for a few trail dates this coming spring and we would appreciate your assistance !
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 10th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Trail is not in good shape to ride, even with a fat bike I was sinking through snow hitting mud. The two track - ITC trail is fine. A tree fell while I was riding east of the bridge on the two track. Blocks most of the path.
Steve_Balogh

Postby trailHED » January 21st, 2016, 7:36 pm

Anyone been on the trail lately? I'm assuming I would need studs on my skinny?
trailHED

Postby trailHED » January 22nd, 2016, 10:04 pm

I rode south on the 275 trail today which was free of ice/snow. The canton two track is mostly snow but rideable. The trails weren't bad with studs but fat tires would probably be better due to frozen tracks and footprints.
trailHED

Postby Khemykal » March 27th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Just checked out the trails tonight. Far too wet so I stuck to the path. Tomorrow's rain isn't going to help either.
2015 Trek Fuel Ex 8
2016 Trek Farley 5
Khemykal

Postby pcollinskume » March 28th, 2016, 8:54 pm

I was going to post up regarding conditions as well.
Way too wet. I went out with a 12" hand saw and cut what I could.
Used a branch as a lever/fulcrum to move a big tree that had fallen on crooked vulture by the bridge (power line section).
A chainsaw would be handy. I do not have one at the moment.
I would love to suggest a work day before things get too overgrown. Possibly flag low areas that have pooled water for re-work etc.
Up to you guys I guess.

Also, in recent news there has been a dirt bike / mini bike on the trail. (left big knobby foot print. Def not a fat bike).

If interested I have a section of trail that could be opened up easily if I had the help (new addition kinda). A game trail that I took a machete to (also needs a chainsaw...)

Any takers?
~PC
pcollinskume

Postby Khemykal » April 16th, 2016, 10:53 am

Trails in bad shape. Very wet with a lot of pizza cutters. There are also a lot of trees down on the sections right by the trailhead at Morton Taylor.
2015 Trek Fuel Ex 8
2016 Trek Farley 5
Khemykal

Postby pcollinskume » April 24th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Trail Update 4/24/16:
A lot of the trail is still muddy, wet, flooded, swampy, and _____(insert adjective here).
However, there are a few dry bits. The parts EAST of Morton Taylor, and SOUTH of the gravel path are alright.
The Southwest field (after the hill) are swamped.
Buckshaver - flooded and muddy.
The Northwest area is hit & miss. Lots of mud holes.

Ran into Rich? (sorry if I got your name wrong), the guy that helps Santa_Cruz. He was scoping our some potential mud hole re-routes.
Told him I would be up for helping if a group/date could be organized.
I typically ride Mor-Tay at least twice a week. Happy to report conditions as they change.

~PC
pcollinskume

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » April 28th, 2016, 6:57 am

Hey pcollinskume, thanks for your trail report and doing what maintenance that you can while you use the trail ! We truly appreciate that. I rode thru the park last Sunday on my commuter
bike and kinda explored parts of Lucky Dawg and the first part of the East loop and things were good there, but Buckshaver always dries out last. We've had trouble with dirt bikes over the years.

I will definitely take you up on your offer for help as it is always badly needed. Rich does a ton of good work out there and I would like to see the sections that you and he are refering to.
Due to the proximity of the trail to the river, this trail stays wetter than most, but usually is completly rideable from June -Nov. But, I agree that some more mud countermeasures are needed.

I have been working alot lately including weekends and haven't been out to the trail yet, but it needs a lot of love this year and some trail days would hopefully bring out some helpers.
The trail needs all new signage, some bridge repairs, mud reroutes and the pump track could use a good dig day or two. Keep checking this forum for trail dates in May. Thank you !

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby eddieddy1 » May 23rd, 2016, 9:24 pm

Is the trail still muddy? Was planning a ride tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
eddieddy1

Postby Dirtdevil » May 24th, 2016, 7:30 am

There are recent reports that it is still very wet, muddy & overgrown. Avoid. With the upcoming rains, this trail won't be rideable for the foreseeable future.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby pcollinskume » Today, 9:21 pm

Can verify this. A lot of work is needed. Mud, ruts, down trees, broken boards on some of the bridges, one of the up & overs on the tree is broken too (snapped in half).
Overgrown. This trail needs some love...
pcollinskume

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments