Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby c0nsumer » September 7th, 2016, 10:22 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Similar to many of the "local" trails in the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge, Morton-Taylor is not a "destination" trail, but its fun if you live nearby or hit it in combination with other trails/routes.

I think the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge has been a pretty good acid test for showing just what trails are worth visiting and which ones aren't.
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » September 7th, 2016, 10:28 am

"I think the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge has been a pretty good acid test for showing just what trails are worth visiting and which ones aren't."

List please.
ihateplaindave

Postby Jared13 » September 7th, 2016, 11:09 am

ihateplaindave wrote:"I think the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge has been a pretty good acid test for showing just what trails are worth visiting and which ones aren't."

List please.

http://mmba.org/2016/02/18/2016-tri-cha ... challenge/
Jared13

Postby ihateplaindave » September 7th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I meant which ones are on the 'good' side of the ledger?
ihateplaindave

Postby Jared13 » September 7th, 2016, 12:55 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:I meant which ones are on the 'good' side of the ledger?

Oh, my bad!
Jared13

Postby RazBarry_KB » September 7th, 2016, 12:57 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:I meant which ones are on the 'good' side of the ledger?

Might be a good idea to take this discussion here: http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131809
Kristen Barry
CRAMBA-IMBA, Treasurer
Join us! http://www.cramba.org/get-involved/join/
Weekly No-drop Group Rides http://www.cramba.org/calendar/
RazBarry_KB

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 7th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Trail map here: http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7001447
There are many ways to join the various subtrails; this is but one option. Haven't been there this year to judge the recent condition.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby c0nsumer » September 7th, 2016, 4:28 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Trail map here: http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7001447
There are many ways to join the various subtrails; this is but one option. Haven't been there this year to judge the recent condition.

Looks like a start, but I can tell you from my experience this past weekend that this map does not cover all the trails out there.
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby SloMo » September 8th, 2016, 5:33 am

c0nsumer wrote:
WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Similar to many of the "local" trails in the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge, Morton-Taylor is not a "destination" trail, but its fun if you live nearby or hit it in combination with other trails/routes.

I think the Tri-Chapter Trail Challenge has been a pretty good acid test for showing just what trails are worth visiting and which ones aren't.

c0nsumer, I agree and it also demonstrated how lucky we are to live where we do.
Follow me on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9205583
2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon WC
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
SloMo

Postby pcollinskume » September 11th, 2016, 6:28 pm

I live in the subdivision just north of MT. I agree that we need better signage, not to mention several long hour work days. I do my best to keep the trail ride-able by clearing downed trees and branches. I've attempted to fix areas where water traditionally pools, but have been unsuccessful. The "long to dry" bit is really only an issue after winter from my experience (only been in MI 1.5 years). The biggest problem is the lack of trail educate as I see people riding in the mud and making ruts that are still there half a year later. Signs could help this problem. I've ridden all the trails, and am more than happy to assist if there were any groups wanting to come do this trail. The boardwalks we have are also in disrepair... This trail needs love in a big way. However, it is a nice hidden gem to have in my backyard. Any specific complaints should probably go to the chapter and/or trail coordinator.
~PC
pcollinskume

Postby PlantPowered » September 11th, 2016, 9:39 pm

I have ridden here 4 or 5 times and always have fun. I still do not know the trails good enough to flow from one to the next. I just kinda ride until I see an opening and take it.
PlantPowered

Postby ineedanap » September 18th, 2016, 1:11 am

c0nsumer wrote:Rode here today; did not enjoy it. It was incredibly hard to find where to go. Found some trail starting off of the parking lot, tried to follow that, ended up at some trail marking signs, hit dead-end-like things behind some businesses, and then was just kinda lost after that.

From what I could see it's tight and twisty old school stuff in a flood plane. Tremendous spiderweb / habitrail issues, particularly along the two-track-y stuff. Maybe with some signage to help people around it'd be better? Instead we just left after half an hour of confusion.

This sums up exactly how I feel about it as well, and it's sad because I only live a mile away.

I mean no disrespect to the people that have dedicated so much of their time to it, but this trail has a ton of issues and I don't even bother trying to go there anymore. I wonder if it is just eating up resources that could be spent somewhere else.
ineedanap

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions