Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 9th, 2014, 8:59 pm

mpaquette, glad to hear you made it out there. There are three main sections that are not that hard to connect once you explore the area.
I think printing the map and descriptions will help. (plus just riding around on everything and stuff). I rode there tonight & had a blast.
I ride the South loop first, then the East, then Crooked Vulture and that dumps out into the West loop which you can connect with the N. Wetlands area.

Chris is right though, there are a couple of downed tree areas that need to be cleared. The one in Clown's Nightmare & on the north part of Lucky Dawg.

I rode in this area back in the early 90's (that stuck in my mind) and found a few pieces of trail here & there & would love to hear about your experiences back in the late 70's!
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ibisman » August 10th, 2014, 7:55 am

Dude, let me know when you're going again. We can plan out repairs or new stuff while riding.I will try to get the downed trees this week some time.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,677.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1254.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby mpaquette70 » August 11th, 2014, 1:30 pm

SANTA_CRUZ, I went back out exploring the trails on Sunday and had a much easier time. The west loop still throws me a little because it seems like there are trails jetting in and out all over the place. Overall I had a great time exploring and learning. I plan to keep coming back.

I lived on Applewood just north of the trails in the 70's and early 80's. Nothing existed south of Applewood except woods and farmland. We would ride a singletrack down Morton-Taylor to the river and if we were daring would cross over Michigan Ave to the Canton Party Store for candy and fireworks. There were some trails in the woods behind our house but now that is another subdivision. I lived on the corner of Applewood and a dead-end but that has since become a connector road called Bradford that leads to another sub. Good times out in those woods!
mpaquette70

Postby jwhitey » August 11th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I did a night ride at MT Friday night. Waiting for the kids at SkyZone. It was good but I only did about 4.5 miles. I skipped Clown's nightmare and the wetlands.
jwhitey

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 17th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Got out to the powerline bridge this afternoon and got the U braces pounded down on the south side of the new bridge. Water was still flowing pretty good.
Took out the smaller of the two bandit jumps and blocked the top access to the larger second one. They were both starting to fall apart already.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 8/21/2014

Postby ibisman » Today, 10:30 am

wow. what a mess. Here it is the end of August and its all mud. Several trees down. A new one I found the hard way on white tail at the top of a hill around a blind corner. Hit it pretty hard. going to see if I need stitches.
sign gone again at crooked vulture, and the extension loop is muddy at the beginning. West loop is muddy and lucky dog is destroyed.We need a trail day to fix this stuff all at once before winter gets here. Gary give me a call when you have time.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,677.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1254.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments