Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby ibisman » August 6th, 2011, 7:40 am

sorry to hear about the injury dirtdevil.... and Santa_cruz, I didn't take off because of any disagreement .People can believe what ever they want, I had to get my miles in before my wifey got home from work...she gets mad because I ride every day while she is at work. :) Maybe next time...and maybe I can talk my wife into coming but she is a total newbee. See ya, glad you all had fun, Dave
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby mmrobertson69 » August 6th, 2011, 8:13 am

Well, I believe I had fun. Gonna try Commerce/Hickory Glenn today, and have plans tonite involving swimming pools and beer.
Perhaps tomorrow? I am considering session work on the west loop & lucky dog.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 6th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Sherri - I am SO sorry to hear that you've been injured, I was really looking forward to riding with you more this year on your sweet new ride and will definitely miss you at the Triple Trail. (you should show up just to have a few brews ?)
What happened ? I have been there (broken wrist @ Highland) and I know how you must feel. Keep on your PT for sure !

Dave, sorry for the misunderstand and I totally understand keeping within the wifey's schedule. Next time no problem.
The whole trail is in great shape and I could tell that more people have been riding the new Buckshaver section as it's getting more packed down.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Dirtdevil » August 8th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Thanks Ibisman & SC for the kind words. Injured it while getting onto a jet ski. Full weight of leg on machine when wave came up and turned the ski at the same time I had all weight on my knee twisting my knee with the jetski. Instant severe pain and down & went. I did manage to eventually put myself back on for one last ride as I figured I really screwed something up and I may as well enjoy one last spin around the lake.

I will show up for the TTT if it's not too soon after surgery. I'll also bring a growler of my homebrew for you to try.

:twisted:
Sherri
Dirtdevil

Postby opjames » August 8th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Trail is clear and 98% dry.
I attempted to trim back some pickers that were snagging hands and ankles. I had to do a rush job due to the massive swarms of mosquitoes. They were worse than I can ever remember.
The d-bag in the 4x4 has been back and laid down a fresh set of tracks in his usual place. Something needs to be done about it soon. I don't think it should wait until next spring when he rips up the thawed soft trail again. I would be more than willing to help build fences or posts and signage. Do we need permission from the city?
opjames

Postby mmrobertson69 » August 9th, 2011, 6:13 am

How about a spike stip like at parking structures? Could we get or make one of thems?
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby ibisman » August 9th, 2011, 6:47 am

Move those big rocks. he will take out his transfercase once and won't be back.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 9th, 2011, 11:08 am

Unbelievable ! :evil: That isn't township land, so they won't do anything, but moving big rocks (but, how to move them?) or a couple of big tree trunks in that opening is a good idea to keep those idiots off the trail. I also like the idea of spikestrips, but I'm afraid that an innocent rider would get hurt.
I agree that we have to do something soon so it doesn't happen again !

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby Econ Recon » August 9th, 2011, 2:13 pm

I'm new to the area, and I've already gone and ridden the Morton-Taylor trails this past weekend, and I think you guys have a really great thing going on here!
I'm unemployed right now, so if any help is needed on any trail work (i.e. those rocks or tree trunks to keep the four-wheeler out) I'd be happy to do what I can to help keep these trails a good place to ride.
Econ Recon

Postby BusDriver » August 10th, 2011, 10:32 am

Econ Recon wrote:I'm new to the area, and I've already gone and ridden the Morton-Taylor trails this past weekend, and I think you guys have a really great thing going on here!
I'm unemployed right now, so if any help is needed on any trail work (i.e. those rocks or tree trunks to keep the four-wheeler out) I'd be happy to do what I can to help keep these trails a good place to ride.

I think he said he'd be happy to help ! :D

Welcome to the area Econ, you won't find a better class of people anywhere!

Jay
Life Behind Bars

http://www.wolverinebeer.com/
http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » August 11th, 2011, 11:45 am

Hey Econ, I second what Jay said, welcome to the Canton area and I am really glad that you enjoy the trail ! :D

We do have to do something about those 4 x 4 idiots driving on the South loop, I just heard that there were three of them out there and something has to be done to keep them from getting back in. I will let you know when we
organize a small work day to block the entrance(s) that allow the trucks to get in because when it's really wet in this area (springtime), they do some serious damage to one of the sections that good for beginners.

An invitation to both of you - I will start hosting some more of my "trail tours" in the coming month or two
and you are both welcome to come out and ride with us so that you know every bit of trail that available to ride.
As an added incentive, there is usually some good beer and conversation to be shared at the end of these, so
come on out and have some dirt riding fun with the various people that show up.

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » August 11th, 2011, 8:26 pm

The Buckshaver and Lucky Dawg sections are flooded. One of the log piles is washed away on L-Dawg and deep water in the usual spots. I only got about 1/3 of the way into Buckshaver and had to turn around due to standing water.
The rest of the trail was ridable, with the exception of a big tree across the trail on the East Loop. It was the tree that was splintered about 15 feet up. We were checking it out on one of the group rides, as I recall.

Once again the mosquitoes are freaking ridiculous. They were literally swarming all over me when I stopped to move branches or clip face slappers. I basically slathered repellent over my entire body and they still munched on me. Even bit my elbows. You've been warned!
opjames

Postby opjames » August 11th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Here's a couple shots of the tree on the East Loop.
opjames

Postby loosecannondale » August 12th, 2011, 10:24 am

Wow nice foto's,looks like we need to bust out with the chainsaw.OBTW I'm back in town!
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
Ted Nugent
loosecannondale

Postby opjames » August 12th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Went out to remove the tree with loosecannondale and his son Brandon this afternoon. When we arrived, we found Rich already started on the task. It went really well with all the extra help and we made quick work of that big oak. The East Loop is clear once again.
Thanks to everyone involved!
opjames

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions