Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby opjames » June 29th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:Rode Morty T this evening,
Only saw one other biker out there, not one hiker.

That be me...I liked the "ginormous" tires on your bike.
opjames

Postby Steve_Balogh » June 30th, 2012, 7:33 am

opjames wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:Rode Morty T this evening,
Only saw one other biker out there, not one hiker.

That be me...I liked the "ginormous" tires on your bike.

Thanks! New "Husker Du" tires. I really like the way fatbikes handle the tight sections near the parkinglot, these new tires are about 400g or more lighter, roll better ( the tread is a bit more like a traditional MTB tire, unlike Endomorphs & Larry's). Helps with that section I saw you at, looks like some of that hill is a bit overgrown where it looks like most people are missing the far northeast corner of that loop.
Steve_Balogh

Postby loosecannondale » June 30th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Rode about 3/4 of the trail and that was all I could stand with heat,it was just like you guys said "dry,fast and dusty"!!!
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
Ted Nugent
loosecannondale

Postby opjames » June 30th, 2012, 4:41 pm

loosecannondale wrote:Rode about 3/4 of the trail and that was all I could stand with heat,it was just like you guys said "dry,fast and dusty"!!!

You might have finished the trail if you used a Bear Gryls desert survival technique. He urinates on his t shirt, then wraps it around his head. Keeps your head from overheating, heard it works like a charm.
opjames

Postby mmrobertson69 » June 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm

opjames wrote:You might have finished the trail if you used a Bear Gryls desert survival technique. He urinates on his t shirt, then wraps it around his head. Keeps your head from overheating, heard it works like a charm.

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works...
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby opjames » June 30th, 2012, 5:26 pm

loosecannondale wrote:Rode about 3/4 of the trail and that was all I could stand with heat...."!!!

Here are a couple of short videos on proper hot weather survival. The second one is really interesting. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/fVwZ02Q92XQ
http://youtu.be/_e2OL1gqElI
opjames

Postby Steve_Balogh » July 1st, 2012, 8:28 am

I have a much cleaner solution from down under to dealing with heat, Merino wool jerseys. They breathe far better than the typical high tech bike jerseys for me, and the anti-microbial properties allow you to wear them for days and they will not stink. I've even tested this in Australia myself.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ibisman » July 1st, 2012, 10:30 am

The way we coped with the heat in nam was lots and lots of warm 3/2 beer, and various forms of morphine. Come to think of it...I wish I had some right now.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby opjames » July 1st, 2012, 10:42 pm

Rode a lap with loosecannondale tonight. Trail still hasn't gotten any rain. Storm clouds and thunder to the south kept teasing us, but no dice. Dusty and hard as cement.
Had to read a group of young adults the riot act tonight. They were lighting firecrackers in the Buckshaver loop, but of course claimed innocence when I found them as they were hiking. Apparently the firecracker wrapper I found, had magically appeared and lit themselves. Anyhow, they said they would make sure to tell their friends that it's way too dry to mess with fireworks in the park, which incidentally is marked "No Fireworks" on the park rules sign.
opjames

Postby Jay22 » July 4th, 2012, 11:15 am

:roll: Sheesh. I mean, who could possible see an issue with lighting fireworks in the woods?

Some people...
Jay22

Postby opjames » July 4th, 2012, 1:22 pm

The biggest problem at the Mort, isn't firecrackers....it's the unsupervised teens screwing around and destroying stuff. I patrol the trails everyday and I see what goes on there.

I've been told by some local youths that the main bridge was set on fire earlier this spring by some other aggressive local teens. Apparently, they were angry that the township had invaded "their" secret hangout, by creating the park and trail system.
I've witnessed teens ripping up and down the trails on dirt bikes and atv's. When I informed them that motorized vehicles aren't permitted in the park. They just become defiant, aggressive, and arrogant, as if it was "their" personal track in "their" backyard.
I've found booby traps, such as, vines and wire set across the trail at neck height, logs dragged into the trail to block access, and trees cut and pushed over into the trail.
I found where someone set an accidental fire using "Roman candles". Luckily they were near the river and managed to put it out.
Recently, I've seen a van full of 16 to 18 year old's get dropped off. They proceeded to rip down signs, throw rocks, litter, knock over trees, scream and holler like imbeciles, and other stupid acts of chaos. They were picked up 3 hours later.

I remember being bored as a teen, but I don't recall being a douchebag and ruining things. There should be a law enforced to prevent minors from frequenting the parks without a parent. It's when they're alone in peer groups that they start acting foolish.
opjames

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 8th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Rode to the trail from my house this afternoon. just kind of randomly picked a time when I was done with the house chores to go for a ride.
Left the house around 2:20, hit the South loop trailhead about 2:45, ride Buckshaver, South and Dragon's trail. Get to the lot and see Rich's
Jeep and James prepping for a ride. Stop and talk with him a bit, he offers some much needed water and I hit the East. While I am putting
stickers on the bumper of the dead rusty car, I hear Rich coming towards me. We chat for a while and it's good to see him. I keep riding CV
and then hit the West, see James again. Finish the ride on the Wetlands loop and head towards my favorite beer store on the way home. :D

Oh, and by the way, whatever deadfall from the recent storms has been cleaned up and all loops are clear, dry, fast and fun ! Look for a new logpile on the Dragon's Tail return section. More to come within a month in various places.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » July 11th, 2012, 9:43 pm

The trails were in awesome shape today and the weather was absolutely perfect.
Met Mike R. out there this afternoon. Did an easy lap and took a few pictures for the new Morton-Taylor facebook page. Afterward, we met two newcomers to mountain biking (James and Jesse) and gave them a moderately paced tour. They seemed stoked for more and said they had a great time. Always glad to help new enthusiasts, so they get a good experience when starting out.
opjames

Postby colin » July 13th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Headed out to ride these after work for the first time. Is there anything special to know or look out for? Some locals tips for a good ride?
colin

Postby mmrobertson69 » July 14th, 2012, 7:03 am

They can be confusing the first time or two with out a guide. They're multi-directional though so don't worry too much. They're basically organized into 3 trails: South loop, east loop, and the west loop. The south loop starts off of the parking lot, just follow the west most gravel path for a few feet and you'll see the trail entrance. The entrance for the east and west loops are almost across from each other. If you follow the gravel path that would be Morton-Taylor road, you'll find the trail heads just past the bridge marked No. 6. Each trail has offshoots so have fun exploring.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions