Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby opjames » June 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I rode around for a couple laps on Saturday and did some trimming in the power line area on the East loop. Met Rich out in West loop fixing a couple spots.

The narrow ramped log crossing on the Lucky Dawg is getting really loose. The log it's crossing is rotten and crumbling. Also, found another root removed, this time on Lucky Dawg.

There is a lot of water bottle littering going on out there. Rich and I tried to get a few of them, but can only carry so many.
opjames

Postby mdswmich » June 18th, 2012, 9:06 am

I have fun out there although I would improve a couple of things. It would be cool to have a map. I wonder if my GPS would track well enough to make a map? I think I'll try it soon. (mainly for new people, it's hard to explain where to go from the parking lot.)

Would be nice if the turns were smoother and more flow. There's a section to the west of the parking lot with a couple pump hills, that looks like it could be continued through the woods, that would be fun. Mini pump track.

The trail is really nice to have where it is and great work guys keeping it up!
Jump It!
mdswmich

Postby opjames » June 18th, 2012, 10:42 am

mdswmich wrote:I have fun out there although I would improve a couple of things. It would be cool to have a map. I wonder if my GPS would track well enough to make a map? I think I'll try it soon. (mainly for new people, it's hard to explain where to go from the parking lot.)

I posted this last week.
opjames wrote:Here is a map of the loop that I normally ride. Should be around 5.74 miles in a clockwise direction.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 6,0.005252

mdswmich wrote:Would be nice if the turns were smoother and more flow.

SANTA_CRUZ engineered the trails to be tight and technical in some areas. The tight corners are purposefully there as a technical aspect. It's not a speedy trail and negotiating it requires you to hone your handling skills.
opjames

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 6/20/2012

Postby ibisman » June 20th, 2012, 10:30 am

Wow, who cut the roots out? I went as far as I could this morning (6 miles) before the knee pain cut it short. The trail was perfect...mostly dry...some nice tacky spots...no mud. I figured with very little climbing I could get some miles in...wrong. Anyway...the rain didn't mess things up, get out there and ride!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby opjames » June 20th, 2012, 10:57 am

Bummer about your knee Ibisman.
Not sure who's been cutting the roots, but they've removed several now.
I rode it yesterday (HOT) and did a little cutting in Wetland loop. Like you said trail is in nice shape even after the rains. Managed to get some ticks on me from the little walking around that I did.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Assistant Trail Coordinator for Morton-Taylor Mountain Bike Trail
https://www.facebook.com/MortonTaylorMountainBikeTrails
opjames

Postby Jay22 » June 21st, 2012, 9:59 pm

Can't people just leave stuff alone? If you can't handle a few roots, maybe you should stick to the gravel path. (Whoever it is that's doing it)

mdswmich wrote: I have fun out there although I would improve a couple of things. It would be cool to have a map. I wonder if my GPS would track well enough to make a map? I think I'll try it soon. (mainly for new people, it's hard to explain where to go from the parking lot.)

Honestly, the first time I went there, I looked at the map from this site and it was a bit inaccurate. I got there and just followed the path and the first spot I saw single track, I dove in. It took a couple of trips to get the lay of the land but you're not going to get lost. You'll think your lost, but your not really. You will pop out on the main path eventually, usually within five to fifteen minutes if your hustling along. What are you doing this weekend? I'll meet you out there and give you a tour if you haven't ridden all the way through yet. You free sunday morning/afternoon? Maybe we can get a bunch of us to head out. CRUZ, IBIS, opjames, (and anyone I missed) you in? We should all go riding.

I actually talked to SANTA_CRUZ about adding/slightly changing a few things here and there to increase the flow, but the more we talked about it, the more I realized that MT has a reputation for being more tight and technical. Also, I see dads back there with two or three little kids cruising the single track. If we made it too fast then they wouldn't be able to ride it. I'm a speed demon myself, I love fast trails and turns. I love berms, but I also like Morton Taylor because its different. I can go anywhere and go fast. I can take my kids to Morton Taylor and I can go by myself too. I can have a good time either way.

That trail was designed well. I am up for adding a little pump track area though, if we can find a spot to do it and we get permission. That would be fun.
Jay22

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 6/20/2012

Postby Jay22 » June 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm

ibisman wrote:Wow, who cut the roots out? I went as far as I could this morning (6 miles) before the knee pain cut it short. The trail was perfect...mostly dry...some nice tacky spots...no mud. I figured with very little climbing I could get some miles in...wrong. Anyway...the rain didn't mess things up, get out there and ride!

We can just dose you up on morphine first, or a lot of beer. You won't feel a thing... :lol:
Jay22

Postby ibisman » June 22nd, 2012, 6:03 am

Got some? The pain is over the top.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby opjames » June 22nd, 2012, 11:37 am

I've updated my route map. Included some direction and a few points of interest.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 0125&msa=0
opjames

Postby Jay22 » June 22nd, 2012, 11:43 am

ibisman wrote:Got some? The pain is over the top.

If I did I would give it to ya. I don't have anything that would help for your knee I don't think.
Jay22

Postby ibisman » June 22nd, 2012, 6:51 pm

Give a call. They let me go at holiday.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 24th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Rode out there last Thursday night and only saw one other rider. We talked a bit in the parking lot, it was his first time there.
Tons of all different animals hopping, running and flying all over the place. Picked up some discarded water bottles, plastic bags.

I am thinking about doing another trail tour this coming Thursday evening (6-28). First one about 4:45 and the second about 6:15.
Just meet in the parking lot and we'll go from there. I am trying to get some riders from work to come out as well.

Come on out, meet some new people (and some regulars) and have a good time (weather permitting of course)

SC :D
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mikesathome2 » June 24th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Biked a few loops at 11am today, everything running good!
A little panorama shot near the river
mikesathome2

Postby Jay22 » June 24th, 2012, 4:36 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Rode out there last Thursday night and only saw one other rider. We talked a bit in the parking lot, it was his first time there.
Tons of all different animals hopping, running and flying all over the place. Picked up some discarded water bottles, plastic bags.

I am thinking about doing another trail tour this coming Thursday evening (6-28). First one about 4:45 and the second about 6:15.
Just meet in the parking lot and we'll go from there. I am trying to get some riders from work to come out as well.

Come on out, meet some new people (and some regulars) and have a good time (weather permitting of course)

SC :D

Ill be there if it is official. Probably the 6:15 one, work permitting.
Jay22

Postby Pidge » June 25th, 2012, 8:33 am

Just wanted to give opjames and jay22 a big thank you for showing me around the trail Friday evening, it really did help getting to know the trail better. Looking forward to more rides in the future.
Pidge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions