Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby opjames » June 12th, 2012, 12:30 pm

ryanmcg wrote:I think you're preaching to the choir, mate. The people who make these alterations likely aren't on this forum, otherwise they would already know better, and would probably be a more experienced rider, and not want to remove the features.

Yeah, I realize they may not be reading this, but there is a possibility that they might be.

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:James and Mike, if you see stuff like this (I noticed the one downed log missing on the Buckshaver trail) please see
if it is just thrown off to the side of the trail and replace it/them. Like Ryan mentioned, unfortunately, the idiots moving this stuff most likely don't frequent this forum nor do they have the skills to get over said obstacles, so they figure that they will make it easier on themselves by screwing the more skilled riders. It's something that happens at every trail and it's hard to ever catch these people in the act. It just makes me want to build even more tech features and maybe these people will go to another "easier" trail.

I actually attempted to replace the missing logs/roots, but like I mentioned, they've ripped them out. They busted them up and wouldn't lay in place without moving when ridden on. They would have to be "nailed down" or secured in some way.

ryanmcg wrote:Some of these people may even think that they are helping. Some signage might be good in this case. "No trail alterations without consent from the trail builder/coordinator", etc.

Unfortunately signs don't have a long life at Morton-Taylor trails. They seem to be entertainment for the local teens, because they seem to tear them down almost as fast as Gary puts them up. We've been talking about making a kiosk and I'm currently looking into designs and material acquisition for it. The township had promised to supply one in the past, but must have forgotten.
opjames

Postby opjames » June 12th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Here is a map of the loop that I normally ride. Should be around 5.74 miles in a clockwise direction.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 6,0.005252
opjames

Postby deezler » June 13th, 2012, 8:24 am

Thanks for posting your route map! I feel an increasing desire to come check this place out now that I understand it a little better. The idea of coming out to see it and then getting lost 5 times or having to backtrack was not very appealing.
deezler

Postby ibisman » June 13th, 2012, 9:11 am

usually run it counter-clock wise...but it doesn't matter. the ramps and piles are built for the counter clock-wise rotation but are ok either way.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby ryanmcg » June 13th, 2012, 11:33 am

So... there is two-way traffic? Is this singletrack?
ryanmcg

Postby Jay22 » June 13th, 2012, 11:39 am

Man. You guys just need to come out. Its a fun fast trail that is not busy enough to warrant one way traffic. Your not going to get lost. There are maps posted throughout the system and it is in sections. You can carry your bike out to the main walk path at anytime.
Jay22

Postby ryanmcg » June 13th, 2012, 11:48 am

Alright cool, I'll just come check it out. But the whole time, I'm going to be worrying about running into someone! :wink:
ryanmcg

Postby Jay22 » June 13th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Dont be. You can see and hear everything. Youll have ample time to stop. Ive crossed others hindreds of times and never hit anyone. Youll see when you get there.
Jay22

Postby opjames » June 13th, 2012, 12:24 pm

ibisman wrote:usually run it counter-clock wise...but it doesn't matter. the ramps and piles are built for the counter clock-wise rotation but are ok either way.

Most of trails I've ridden in southeastern Michigan are run in a clockwise direction and I like the flow of this trail in that direction better. To each their own.
ryanmcg wrote:So... there is two-way traffic? Is this singletrack?

Yes, most of the route that I posted is single track. There is some gravel multi-use trail to connect the sections together, but mainly single track.
I doubt you will be generating enough speed to collide with anyone in most sections. The trail is tight, slow, and technical in some areas and most sections you can see far in front of you. I've only come close once in the Crooked Vulture section between the gravel trail and the old car. You can get going pretty good through there and some of the turns (3 of them) have a bit of an obstructed view. I ride this trail almost every day and have only had the one close call.

SANTA_CRUZ designed the trail to be run in either direction and has said that it will be like this until the trail gets too busy. It allows for a bit of variety if you get bored riding the trail in one direction, then turn around and try it the other way.
opjames

Postby ibisman » June 13th, 2012, 1:17 pm

And....no elevation which is good for my knee.:)
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby opjames » June 13th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Was out there today removing poison ivy while enjoying a beautiful recovery day. Spent all afternoon (2pm-8pm) and met several fellow mountain bikers enjoying the trails. I can't remember everyone's name, but met at least 15 different people riding around the Mort. I do remember talking to mikesathome2 about his video of clearing the fat skinny. It was awesome to see so many riding today.
opjames

Postby Jay22 » June 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Im jealous. I wanted to get out there and test out the new tires, but I got stuck working.
Jay22

Postby mikesathome2 » June 14th, 2012, 11:09 am

What a busy day out there Wednesday! Hikers, bikers, Runners! it's good to see so many people enjoying the great weather and trails!
Nice to meet you opjames, I might be back on Friday around 6pm.
mikesathome2

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 16th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I remember Jay22 mentioning riding the trail at dusk and have been wanting to try it, so tonight I rode to the trail from my house
leaving about 8pm. I took the gravel path from Canton Center and along the way seeing the tons of people getting ready and/or sitting in their spots
for the Liberty Fest fireworks. Hit the East, Crooked Vulture, West and Lucky Dawg before heading back just as the sun was setting.
Saw lots of bugs and bunnies. Had an ice cold Molson waiting for me in the fridge. Watched some of the fireworks. Everything is SO dry.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Happy Father's day to all the fathers out there today.

Got all my honey-do jobs done early and decided to ride over to Morty T, do some trail and enjoy Father's day the way I wanted to. Very cool.

Rode all the loops and the sun even came out while I was there which was super nice. As I entered the larger part of the West loop, I came
upon two young bucks who were standing there staring at me. I stopped and continued and they did the same thing, running in front of me,
stopping and then as I caught up, running a short distance again. This happened three times and it was really cool. I came upon a mother and
son who were running the trail, he had seen them, she didn't. By the time I was riding home, it started to sprinkle. Good timing !

I saw the two cut out roots that James was talking about and the missing downed tree on Buckshaver, too. Gotta put up some signs telling riders not to do that ! No dumbing down :evil:
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions