Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 8th, 2012, 11:35 am

To Mike - yeah, I think that turn worked in my head, but once we got it built, it looked much more difficult, so
I think I will move the second section over a foot or two to make it more friendly. Yes, the township will be doing
the running event again, but the last I heard is that it will take place in September this year (spring was too muddy)
We have been lucky that this spring has been so dry and as a result, the trail is too !!

To Frank - the Buckshaver section is a right turn off of the South loop (Whitetail trail) and then returns to it soon.
So, when you enter the South loop right off of the parking lot, just past the little bridge, look for a large tree on
the right and look way up that tree and you will see the sign. You can ride it either direction, but counter clockwise
seems to be a little easier flow wise. When you are about halfway into it, look for where the trail splits and go
straight ahead (look for the old tire) and that is the newer extention to the original loop. Ride it because it needs
more traffic to make it as smooth as the older Buckshaver section. BTW, it is named after my Fat Chance bike
that I ride that quite often.

We had a good group ride last night, Mike R., Nick, James and Randy joined me for some trail riding fun.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 6/8/2012

Postby ibisman » June 8th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Tried to ride the trail after my doctor appointment (right knee gone this time) but could only stand the pain for 5 miles or so. The trail is in fine shape.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby jwhitey » June 8th, 2012, 9:38 pm

My first ride at MT this year today. The trail is pretty well warn in. Good job fellas. There are some crankers in there but it's nice and dry.
jwhitey

Postby Jay22 » June 8th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Yeah, the place is looking and riding great. I still can't nail that skinny. I try every time im out there, But no luck yet. Will there be another group ride out there soon?
Jay22

Postby jwhitey » June 9th, 2012, 7:19 am

Jay, let me know when you want to check out what we talked about last year, those trails are better than they've ever been and still nice and dry like MT.
jwhitey

Postby Jay22 » June 9th, 2012, 8:05 am

Cool. I haven't forgotten about that.
Jay22

Postby opjames » June 11th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Someone has been removing trail features on the Buckshaver and East loop. They pulled 3 root/logs out of the trail and managed to "dumb down" some of the technical aspects of those sections.
Apparently people out here think that this is their own private trail to alter at their discretion. Seriously though, if the trail is too difficult for you, go ride the gravel path or I-275 paved path, please don't go out and remove all the trail features that you don't like.
The trail design utilizes all the roots, logs, ramps, and tight twists and turns due to the lack of elevation changes. Ripping out the trail features can essentially make the trail boring, relatively flat, and not such a fun little trail. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM UNAUTHORIZED TRAIL ALTERATIONS!!!
If you want to help or would like to ask to change something, chime in on this forum. SANTA _CRUZ is the trail coordinator and is authorized by the township to build and maintain the single track trails. He is always happy to answer questions and explain things....super nice guy.
opjames

Postby ryanmcg » June 12th, 2012, 6:34 am

I think you're preaching to the choir, mate. The people who make these alterations likely aren't on this forum, otherwise they would already know better, and would probably be a more experienced rider, and not want to remove the features.
Last edited by ryanmcg on June 12th, 2012, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanmcg

Postby mmrobertson69 » June 12th, 2012, 6:40 am

Aw, man, what's been ripped out? I may head there in the middle of the day and toughen them back up. Maybe some "no retard" signs also. I'm thinking spike strips, bear traps, and 80' drops.
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » June 12th, 2012, 7:14 am

James and Mike, if you see stuff like this (I noticed the one downed log missing on the Buckshaver trail) please see
if it is just thrown off to the side of the trail and replace it/them. Like Ryan mentioned, unfortunately, the idiots moving this stuff most likely don't frequent this forum nor do they have the skills to get over said obstacles, so they figure that they will make it easier on themselves by screwing the more skilled riders. It's something that happens at every trail and it's hard to ever catch these people in the act. It just makes me want to build even more tech features and maybe these people will go to another "easier" trail.
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby ryanmcg » June 12th, 2012, 7:26 am

Some of these people may even think that they are helping. Some signage might be good in this case. "No trail alterations without consent from the trail builder/coordinator", etc.
ryanmcg

Postby ibisman » June 12th, 2012, 8:24 am

like piling dirt in front of log piles? Might as well pave the trail. Its not a difficult trail to begin with way make it any easier?
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Jay22 » June 12th, 2012, 8:31 am

Hahha!
Jay22

Postby mikesathome2 » June 12th, 2012, 9:05 am

I'll keep an eye out for them as well. I seen a pack of 3 guys on huffy's Sunday around 11am. One of them form the crushed trail seen me in the single track and said "lets go find that trail"
It's almost always guys on Huffy's LOL JK
mikesathome2

Postby Jay22 » June 12th, 2012, 9:48 am

The only thing I saw back there was kids smoking pot on the trails. Haha!
Jay22

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions